DBWI: George H. W. Bush lost 1992 Election

The basic idea is Bush losing to Bill Clinton back in 92. How would a Clinton White House look like? What about his policies? Would we seen Mario Cuomo in '96 if Clinton's sex scandals came out of the woodwork as they did in '92?

James G

Gone Fishin'
You are aware that Bush won a war with a stonking victory in early '91? No way would he go down in flames a year later. Not happening, mate.

If Clinton had won in 1992, the only way I could see it happening would be if Bush gave in to the Democrats and raised taxes. That could have cost him a lot of support and credibility.

I would say the greatest part of Bush's legacy would be the consistent conservative majority on the Supreme Court. He nominated the second African-American Justice and first Latino Justice to the Court in his first term (ultimately choosing Emilio Garza over David Souter). Then with his two second-term appointments we got Justices Edith Jones and Ken Starr. There was a great outcry when President Cuomo's Affordable Care Act was struck down as a "tax," but the 8-1 decision led to the passage of SCHIP and the Medicaid expansion in 1998 that helped secure Cuomo's re-election.

After the fallout from Clinton's affairs and the 3rd party run by Jerry Brown hard to see it

Maybe if Quayle had another gaffe?
Or if instead of Jerry Brown someone like Pat Buchanan made a 3rd party run? Or did Perot had not dropped out?

Not sure how this shakes out but Bush winning in 92 combined with Clinton's baggage cleared the decks for Al Gore to win in 1996 followed by his reelection in 2000 which was then followed by eight years of Jeb Bush.

If Clinton gets elected can he get reelected? If he does, Gore (Clinton's VP) would be the Democratic nominee in 2000. Who would run against Gore from the Republicans? Jeb Bush was still too junior in the party, no way George W Bush gets the nomination, he didn't even have mom and dad's support (everyone knows Jeb was the favorite son). John McCain? I guess but his independent streak made him too many enemies in the party. Gingrich perhaps but I don't see that.

samcster94

Banned
The basic idea is Bush losing to Bill Clinton back in 92. How would a Clinton White House look like? What about his policies? Would we seen Mario Cuomo in '96 if Clinton's sex scandals came out of the woodwork as they did in '92?
For him to win, they'd have to be hidden better. He'd probably try to be a lot more conservative, but I can't see him win in 96 though. His wife probably couldn't get elected dogcatcher.

If Brown got the Democratic nomination, Perot would have likely endorsed him. Bush wouldn’t be able to defeat that. An earlier Brown administration would be great.

I think Clinton would’ve been a decent president. But I wonder how he’ll handle the events in Waco, Oklahoma City, the 1993 WTC bombing.