Status
Not open for further replies.
Many in the early Christian Church viewed the crucifixion of Jesus on orders of Pontius Pilate as a sin collectively shared by the whole of the Roman Empire and its people; the subsequent treatment of Christians in the 1st century AD by the Roman authorities did not help improve their image in the eyes of the believers. The image of the Roman Empire (and by extension -- the Latins) being the embodiment of evil paganism, decadence and vice is deeply ingrained in many works central to the Church, such as the allegorical Book of Revelation where many Biblical scholars and believers connect the Beast with Emperor Nero or the office of the Emperor in general.

All of this has contributed to the rise of Antilatinism in the Christian World over the centuries and the prosecution of the Latins (or people perceived as "Latins") throughout history.

Is there a way another group of people could be blamed for Jesus' crucifixion by Christians and face centuries of prosecution? Could you see a scenario where "Antisemitism" becomes widespread in the Christian World with Christians using some choice quotes from the New Testament as "proof" of the sin by the Jewish people?

Last edited:
OOC: What parts of the world are Christian ITTL? I assume that it wouldn't be the former Roman Empire.
OOC: I left that question open though yes, I assume Christianity did not take off in Rome & Christians were persecuted by the authorities of the Empire. Book of Revelation is implied to be the same ITTL as OTL.

OOC: I left that question open though yes, I assume Christianity did not take off in Rome & Christians were persecuted by the authorities of the Empire. Book of Revelation is implied to be the same ITTL as OTL.
Considering that Persia was Rome's age old rival, I wouldn't be surprised if Christianity took off in Persia ITTL.

This was also increased when persia and the goths converted to christianity. With them both being enemies of the Romans. The Goths were especially infamous for their mass killing of the Roman Population of gaul when they conqured it.

I would like to remind people that former Roman Empire is not entirely non-Christian. Of course "Latins" are not Christian but Germanic, Celtic, Slavic and Greek peoples have had no problems with becoming Christian. Southern Hispania and Sicily also have christian Arab majorities as a result of the Arabic migrations of the 7th and 8th century, despite existence of large Latin minorities.

Latin world is only limited to Italia and parts of Gallia and Hispania. Far smaller than the Roman Empire.

As for "antisemitism", if that happens you could probably see the majority of Latins converting to Christianity. If we are also seeing a non-Christian Persia due to a Christian Rome it is also likely that Turks become Zoroastrian (or whatever faith that was popular in Persia) rather than Christian.

Last edited:
OOC - if Rome is non-Christian then Islam becomes more of a development of Christianity rather than it's mortal enemy. If Nestorian Christians become established in the Sassanid empire then Islam may be regarded as a distant brothers in the same faith ("people of the book "???). With Arianism likely to be the dominant Christian faith in the West then the possibility of a three party holy war versus Rome is there. So with the Romans / Latins taking on the role of the "infidel" then the relationship between Nestorians, Arians and Muslims is akin to that between Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox in conflict against the Muslims.

I good place to start would be if there was more of an effort to stress the early Christian-Jewish struggles within the community. This gets largely papered over in modern Christainity - but Stephen, the first marytr, was killed by a Jewish mob, and not Romans after all (this just gets overshadowed by the Romans matyring Paul and Peter). And there's plenty of evidence of issues between the dominant Jewish community and Christian sects during the earliest days of the Church.

Perhaps if the Roman persecution was SLIGHTLY less severe, you might see Christians trying to differentiate themselves from their Jewish brothers following the collapse of the Jewish Revolt in an effort to ingratiate themselves with the Roman authorities?

OOC - if Rome is non-Christian then Islam becomes more of a development of Christianity rather than it's mortal enemy. If Nestorian Christians become established in the Sassanid empire then Islam may be regarded as a distant brothers in the same faith ("people of the book "???). With Arianism likely to be the dominant Christian faith in the West then the possibility of a three party holy war versus Rome is there. So with the Romans / Latins taking on the role of the "infidel" then the relationship between Nestorians, Arians and Muslims is akin to that between Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox in conflict against the Muslims.
Nope islam was always the back pure monotheism

Status
Not open for further replies.