I’ve lived in the California republic for most of my life and after my boyfriend who is a Scotsman himself moved here he said that the USA was close to annexing California.I laughed at the thought of it after all California has a domain over the Pacfic ocean that’s almost untouched not to mention the fact that the USA hasn’t been in the best state after the civil war no insult to any Americans visiting this thread.But anyway how much would the us have to do to annex California and it’s territorys?

Nephi

Banned
Well its quite possible if Britain hadn't declared the California Republic a protectorate The US would have gotten it. They had some visions towards it and Deseret too, they'd have had to have us to have you. Texas wasn't going to be there last stop. They'd have gone a lot farther without Britian getting to us first. A lot of our founding families weren't happy Young let that happen either back then a lot of Mormons still saw themselves as Americans. Who knows hell our two countries might have been happy as part of the US can't imagine it though as many times as Texas has tried to leave.

I definitely think that the US couldn't annex California now. The two cultures are just too divergent: between California being over 50% non-white and being generally a more liberal country than the US - no way. And militarily: California's allied with both Britain and the Empire of Japan, plus their own formidable military...the US wouldn't have a hope in hell.

As to if it could have happened...a better result in the British-American War? The conflict bankrupted the fledgling US, they were paying for it for decades. I remember reading some fairly bitter screeds about that - a failed military officer named Andrew Jackson, got crippled by a British bullet. Incredibly racist man, but his writing's a good source for how America fared in the era. Bankrupt and so stymied from overmuch expansion... a better result could have seen them expanding quicker and earlier.

America has recovered since the betreyal by you Californian Communists and Deseret Heretics. We boast the 2nd largest economy in the world, the American people having the fasting growing natural population in the West coast,and stretches from the Yukon to the Rio Grande in the South. We don't need you anymore.

OOC: this is a good DBWI

Nephi

Banned
America has recovered since the betreyal by you Californian Communists and Deseret Heretics. We boast the 2nd largest economy in the world, the American people having the fasting growing natural population in the West coast,and stretches from the Yukon to the Rio Grande in the South. We don't need you anymore.

The Yukon... Man can I buy some of your weed.

The US was lucky enough that it was able to get the Louisiana Territory. To get California, it would need to roll even more sixes.

The Yukon... Man can I buy some of your weed.
I'm guessing he is one of the Copperpotheads. Not sure if the term is used everywhere, but it is for those isolationist druggies from the greater Midwest. Who cares if Dixie tries to secede? Just so long as they can keep moving west without meaning anyone two red or yellow. Still odd that they call them that, given how red faced their farmers get and how Asians are often paler than them. Well, no matter. It is all flyover land anyways.

I definitely think that the US couldn't annex California now. The two cultures are just too divergent: between California being over 50% non-white and being generally a more liberal country than the US - no way. And militarily: California's allied with both Britain and the Empire of Japan, plus their own formidable military...the US wouldn't have a hope in hell.
I really have to stop you here. Just because it is more than fifty percent non-'white' doesn't mean they aren't white. Well, in a manner of speaking. Giving the marriages of tens of thousands (among the hundreds of thousands of) prospectors to Asian and native brides, I would say that we should say the Califorinos are mostly mixed. A bit more Metis than the cast a system for the Spanish Americas, and without the one-drop rule of the Americans. As for conservatism, they are still working on solidifying their own. Chinatown goes out of its way to keep some of their own buildings and designs around, even if it involves dismantling them and using them on fronts of their other stores as they move outward. Really amazes me how those old stereotypes of Chinese launderers and cooks went and how it made the two or three Sinai groups seen as such good spouses. Though of course there are still stereotypes, but nothing that seriously enlarged relationships with Nanfang, Chekiang, or related Asiatic countries. Was some trouble with Asian Spaniards from those islands, but once they sorted them you and found the alternative to Catholic Spaniards was Muslims and Hindoos...

Actually, quick question. If the US did annex California, do tpyou think they would have gotten the various islands the Californos did? So many were claimed by Marylanders and New Englanders for nitrates, whaling, and the occasional blackbirding, but I have to wonder if the Yankees would have enough sway or desire for it. After all, they did well out of keeping the railroads from reaching California as long as they did. Well, the time of New England and their ships had to pass for New Salem and their ports. Really though, it was never practice to get a railroad to California anyways. Even looking over the claimed borders of Texas, the US would have to start from Cotton Country and go through Mexican, New Mexican, Arixo, and Apache territory.

IC: I dont think anything is more entertaining then the average american forum troll I love how they talk of there grand empire while they ignore the blatant segregation going on in Dixie not to mention the Irish being lynched as late as 1935 They can barely front an army to deal with a bunch of rebellious hillbillies before you guys can even think about going after the Yukon maybe treat your citizens like a full human being first.Not to mention the insult of Deseret which like it or not is a territory of the NCR

OOC:Thanks for the compliment bud

It'd probably be an Ameriwank. As much as I hate to say it, if it had gotten a Pacific coast, the US could have become a world hegemon. *shudders*

It'd probably be an Ameriwank. As much as I hate to say it, if it had gotten a Pacific coast, the US could have become a world hegemon. *shudders*
what a terrible looking map ugh.png

I found this map on reddit one of the worst ameriwanks ive seen on this form to be quite honest and an independent korea is just ASB not to mention the cluster fuck of Africa here

OOC:Map of this TTL is right here give judgments and stuff i threw this together last night and im going to rework it eventually but what do you guys thinks(Also ignore wacky file names because it was 2 am)Feel free to add backstory to where ever you want too but this is just intended to be a fun DBWI that might be an eventual TL
why are there so many my nipples hurt dad.png

That's a very good map :) And nice to have a point of reference.
OOC:Thank you! I threw it together in one night on a whim but i see some things that might become eventual errors that i might fix but im glad someone likes it

IC:I wonder how south america might develop if the USA aqquired California? I know during the civil war the south made a few expeditions into Brazil but they never went anywhere

Last edited:

Don't shudder. To get a realistic American wank you have to undercut WASP power by the end of the 19th Century. Waive away the suppression of the Irish, German, African, and other ethnic votes and you return to the possibilities existant before the Southern sucess in preserving slavery, and the deconstruction of the original Bill of Rights 1860 - 1896.

The US in that direction would retain the sort of energy for growth the Republic of Mexico and Dominion of Canada displayed in the 20th Century.

With a pacficic coast the USA would probally become something akin to a world police eventually they might even become too overzealous for there own good

A total exaggeration. To get to California, the US would have double the land, true, but most of northern Mexico (which ITTL would be the western US) is uninhabitable, except for a few oasis towns like Lake Yuta City. Sure, there’s the oil in Northern Texas, but that’s insufficient to make the US a world police force like Britain was until recently.