DBWI AHC: A "Good" United States of America

So the lunatics in Columbia (the capital of the United States for those who are not knowledgeable about American geography) are threatening war against New England and Canada again.

So that got me thinking, what would it take to get a United States that is an actual democracy, that doesn't practice bloody slavery in the modern day, and doesn't wipeout half the population of South America in Nuclear Hellfire.

I'm not asking for a Utopic United States, but at least a sane one.

You'd almost need New England to be part of the United States for this to work. All of the Union's problems go back to the failure of the original Union and the inability to renegotiate the Articles of Confederation. If the northern states hadn't walked and left the Union basically a south-only operation, you might've averted the decades of atrocities from the Slaveocracy period.

I could see a successful renegotiation which leads to the United States hashing out its differences and becoming the primary power on the continent, rather than the current state of affairs with Canada being the dominant power in North America and the States exploiting its massive Caribbean empire.

Deleted member 82792

It would be an interesting concept to say the least