DBAHC: Europe dominated by Latin and Germanic cultures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so, Europe has historically been dominated by the Slavs and the Celts, with Celtic empires such as Prydhain and Gaul dominating the west while great Slavic cultural centers such as Poland, Bulgaria, and, to a lesser extent, the nations of the Rus hold court in the east.

However, there are two other cultural groups which had the potential to dominate Europe:

Firstly, the Latin cultures to the south, which, under the Roman Republic, took up the reigns of being the capital of culture, technology, and philosophy from the Greeks, and who were also very expansionist, conquering the entire Roman peninsula as well as northern portions of Africa, eastern regions of Iberia, and the very Greeks that came before them (ooc: I used the terms Africa and Iberia cos I don't know their Celtic equivalents, I will do the same with some other terms later) . However, their empire sort of started to sputter out after awhile, especially after some genius decided it would be a really good idea to try to conquer the entirety of Gaul. Now, Latin cultures are largely restricted to the Roman peninsula and various isles in the western Mediterranean (OOC: OTL's Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, etc), and as cultural minorities in the Western Balkans, Eastern Iberia, and Tunisia.

Secondly, there are the Germanic peoples. Before the collapse of the Roman Republic, they occupied a large portion of land beyond the Rhein, a region the Romans literally called "Germania", however, in the vacuum following their collapse, a lot of them moved into the areas it used to dominate, where they were largely either pushed out or assimilated into the local culture. However, the vacuum left by their absence allowed for the emergence of the Slavic cultures as they moved into the areas the Germans left behind. There are still far more Germanic cultures than Latin cultures, as Frisia, Saxony, Jutland, and the Scandinavian countries still exist, but they haven't really been as influential.

So, my question is how do we get a Europe dominated by Latins and Germans instead of Celts and Slavs, and what would this alternate Europe look like?

- Have Rome establish better economic times with Germania.

- Have Rome successfully assimilate the Celts.

- Have German Tribes keep their culture but adopt Roman technology and military tactics so that they can successfully fight off the Slavs.

- As the German population grows, have them expand into Eastern Europe since itd be the path of least resistance in this scenario.

- Have the Roman Empire collapse in 600 AD due to civil war after the Celts and Slavs have been assimilated or driven out of Europe been either so they don't conquer any atl German states.

- Have Rome establish better economic times with Germania.

- Have Rome successfully assimilate the Celts.

- Have German Tribes keep their culture but adopt Roman technology and military tactics so that they can successfully fight off the Slavs.

- As the German population grows, have them expand into Eastern Europe since itd be the path of least resistance in this scenario.

- Have the Roman Empire collapse in 600 AD due to civil war after the Celts and Slavs have been assimilated or driven out of Europe been either so they don't conquer any atl German states.

Idk, seems a bit wank-y. The Germans conquering most or all of Eastern Europe is plausible, but I can't see the Romans driving the Celts out of Europe or assimilating Gaul. I imagine, even if they were able to hold Gaul, Northern Gaul would probably retain a Celtic culture and language while Southern Gaul would be more mixed, adopting a Latin language and Culture with strong Celtic influences (OOC: Basically Romania but with Celtic influences instead of Slavic ones). I personally think a more realistic scenario would be the Romans being able to hang onto Southern Gaul, but letting Northern Gaul gain independence and focusing most of their efforts on colonizing the Balkans instead of wasting so many resources trying to hold all of Gaul. Conquering and assimilating all of Iberia is more feasible though. I imagine Celts wouldn't be entirely driven out of Europe, but would be very restricted in their influence and would be a bit of a backwater, like Germans in OTL. Maybe the Germans would expand a bit into Northern Gaul, but I doubt they'd conquer the entire thing.

Last edited:
Of Course People forgot islamic culture in Andalusia and Anatolia...but well Europe did end of Pyrennes them

Of Course People forgot islamic culture in Andalusia and Anatolia...but well Europe did end of Pyrennes them

Maybe because those are the only places where Islam is still relevant? Turns out ripping off Jewish ideas while also oppressing the Jewish people isn't a good idea...

OOC: Christianity wouldn't even exist in this timeline, I don't see why Islam would...

Maybe because those are the only places where Islam is still relevant? Turns out ripping off Jewish ideas while also oppressing the Jewish people isn't a good idea...

OOC: Christianity wouldn't even exist in this timeline, I don't see why Islam would...
OOC: i know this place is arch-christian but Islam evolved with zero influence of nazarean at all.

Okay, so, Europe has historically been dominated by the Slavs and the Celts, with Celtic empires such as Prydhain and Gaul dominating the west while great Slavic cultural centers such as Poland, Bulgaria, and, to a lesser extent, the nations of the Rus hold court in the east.

However, there are two other cultural groups which had the potential to dominate Europe:

Firstly, the Latin cultures to the south, which, under the Roman Republic, took up the reigns of being the capital of culture, technology, and philosophy from the Greeks, and who were also very expansionist, conquering the entire Roman peninsula as well as northern portions of Africa, eastern regions of Iberia, and the very Greeks that came before them (ooc: I used the terms Africa and Iberia cos I don't know their Celtic equivalents, I will do the same with some other terms later) . However, their empire sort of started to sputter out after awhile, especially after some genius decided it would be a really good idea to try to conquer the entirety of Gaul. Now, Latin cultures are largely restricted to the Roman peninsula and various isles in the western Mediterranean (OOC: OTL's Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, etc), and as cultural minorities in the Western Balkans, Eastern Iberia, and Tunisia.

Secondly, there are the Germanic peoples. Before the collapse of the Roman Republic, they occupied a large portion of land beyond the Rhein, a region the Romans literally called "Germania", however, in the vacuum following their collapse, a lot of them moved into the areas it used to dominate, where they were largely either pushed out or assimilated into the local culture. However, the vacuum left by their absence allowed for the emergence of the Slavic cultures as they moved into the areas the Germans left behind. There are still far more Germanic cultures than Latin cultures, as Frisia, Saxony, Jutland, and the Scandinavian countries still exist, but they haven't really been as influential.

So, my question is how do we get a Europe dominated by Latins and Germans instead of Celts and Slavs, and what would this alternate Europe look like?
Our hope of a Europe dominated by Latins would require the Romans to forgo piling up all that tempting loot in nice cities in Italy, right where the Celtic Gauls could see it. I suppose if the Celtic/Carthaginean fusion had been replaced by war or something, Romans Pounce! But the alien space bat subtle enough to screw up a millenial mutual admiriation society like that is implausible.

OOC: Oh, okay, sorry for the factual error.
No no you're right, Jesus is a core figure of the quran and Mary is mentioned a couple of time too. No Christianity most definitely means no Islam though it's not impossible that a Jewish descended religion becomes popular among arabic speaking peoples.

OOC: 'Islam could exist without Christianity' is like saying 'Sikhism could exist without Hinduism', laughable quite honestly.

OOC: 'Islam could exist without Christianity' is like saying 'Sikhism could exist without Hinduism', laughable quite honestly.

OOC: While I appreciate the Islam conversation, this is still a double blind scenario, and all the OOC conversation is weighing it down a tiny bit. Let's just say there's a religion TTL that coincidentally is also named Islam, and is vaguely similar to OTL Islam in some aspects which originated in Arabia and had a brief period of insane success before collapsing and is now largely restricted to the Annatolian peninsula and a bit of Southern Iberia.

In Character: What do you think gender roles would be like in this world? The Germanic peoples were pretty egalitarian for the most part, but the Romans were, at the time, even more misogynistic than the Jews, and not by a little, either. It's a stark contrast from Celtic or even Slavic gender roles.

Last edited:

And Carthaginian ones. Tanit worship with Judiac trappings is absurd, once the ArchDruid was able to organize a holy war it was done for. The face that Carthage objected it 'Surrender to Tanit' ie the patroness of the city, is pretty good evidence how out there so called 'Islam' was.

I mean even Jews take "Have no know god before me" to mean just that and are perfectly willing to join in public worship and sacrifice. One god? I don't think anyone would really take it seriously.

OOC: Problem solved. Long live Druidism.

Status
Not open for further replies.