1584848723989.png

Found this massive Spanish Empire- though apparently didn't hold quite all this at once or even under the kingdom of Spain- the Pink was claimed through some dynastic shenanigans and they inherited Portugal somehow as well, but I have no clue about that other stuff all over the place

That map looks more plausible for a scenario where the People's Republic of Tawantinsuyu is wanked a bit and got involved in the European War, occupying Spain and some other bits and pieces. The Spanish did have a bit of an empire, but I have a hard time seeing them conquer that much. You'd probably need an earlier Spanish Unification for them to beat the other European countries to colonize the Americas, and for things to go differently with the Incas-maybe one of the European powers makes a concerted effort to conquer them during the first Incan Civil War?

what the fuck have you just put upon us? this is ASB as all hell
Probably. But I suppose that depends on administration as much as conquest. I don't really doubt a United Spain would be able to conquer the Inca- normal Castile got huge concessions otl, the hard part would be administration of a realm so fundamentally different from the catholic Spanish

In terms of the territories on hand, I don't see it. Castile had a pretty sizeable colonial empire, and that was before it united with Aragon by around the 1660s. But it couldn't quite keep up with either the Portuguese, or the English for that matter.

A good POD could be to have the Trastamaras die out, for starters.

Yes and no...I think the better suggestion is to secure a personal union with Aragon sooner. Just have Alfonso XII either die before he takes the throne, or, more preferably, before he sires any children. His sister Isabel was the Queen Consort of Aragon, and while it isn't exactly the most powerful nation, it makes up for it by being one of the wealthiest of the Iberian powers, next to Portugal. Alternatively, they could pursue a PU with Portugal as well, but it's much much harder, given that the Aviz (at the very least since Duarte II of the Guimares branch) rarely ever had no surviving male children, and even in the times they did, were able to avoid Personal Union. Shrewd bunch, the Portuguese Royal Family is.

I find it interesting that this empire went through some serious lengths to conquer everything except essentially all of North Africa.

I can see this as some confederation of multiple empires (Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, and the Two Sicilies) based out of Madrid. With that much sea power, I can see how they'd be able to get an early start on the Americas, as well as some sparse colonies in Asia. Why the Philippines is beyond me. I definitely see this confederation falling apart rather quick and being broken into several colonial empires, as well. As just a Spanish empire, outside of some very lucky inheritances, I don't see how the Spanish could ever accomplish this. They had enough trouble with Portugal and Morocco IOTL, but here they've conquered Portugal, much of Italy, and somehow, the Low Countries without getting crushed by a Franco-British led coalition.

I find it interesting that this empire went through some serious lengths to conquer everything except essentially all of North Africa.

I can see this as some confederation of multiple empires (Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, and the Two Sicilies) based out of Madrid. With that much sea power, I can see how they'd be able to get an early start on the Americas, as well as some sparse colonies in Asia. Why the Philippines is beyond me. I definitely see this confederation falling apart rather quick and being broken into several colonial empires, as well. As just a Spanish empire, outside of some very lucky inheritances, I don't see how the Spanish could ever accomplish this. They had enough trouble with Portugal and Morocco IOTL, but here they've conquered Portugal, much of Italy, and somehow, the Low Countries without getting crushed by a Franco-British led coalition.
Maybe china was strong and united when Spain was looking to get into asia? Of course, china had fallen into the 7 Kingdom Age around the 1520s otl, so I'm not sure how that happened