Dawn of the Dead (2004) 15 years after the outbreak...

IIRC the helicopter with the two newscasters and two cops left from Philly and made at least one fuel stop.

Was it ever said where the mall they holed up in was located? It's quite possible it could be somewhere near DC, maybe Maryland?

IIRC the helicopter with the two newscasters and two cops left from Philly and made at least one fuel stop.

Was it ever said where the mall they holed up in was located? It's quite possible it could be somewhere near DC, maybe Maryland?
There was a short scene in the remake where CH-53 flew over the Milwaukee mall. It was never stated but it's great fanfiction material.

I remember a jet fighter flying near the mall in the remake, probably too far away to see anyone. Don't remember a helicopter but it's been a while since I watched the remake...

I remember a jet fighter flying near the mall in the remake, probably too far away to see anyone. Don't remember a helicopter but it's been a while since I watched the remake...
Planes were heard on the day of the outbreak. Plus the WGON-TV news chopper makes an Easter Egg cameo at the time when Anna leaves her suburban Milwaukee home. The military CH-53 was seen in the first time they see Andy cross the mall. It's even mentioned in the Andy's Lost Tape special feature.

I remember the WGON helicoptor.

Need to rewatch the remake including all the special features...
I believe the full movie is on Netflix while the Special Features are on YouTube. Once you watch it, then we can talk about the world of this movie. I believe it's AH component needs to be discussed. A May 2004 POD would introduce an interesting amount of butterflies.

To understand how the world was like prior to the POD.

According to the U.S. Census for 2004, the population for the United States as of May 1, 2004 (a week before the POD) stood at 293,164,734 people. When the outbreak hit and in just 24 hours, 10 million Americans were already dead or turned.

That is interesting.

ETA: Wow, 26 years between the two films. IIRC the original DAWN was one of the last films I saw in a theater first run (Ralph Bakshi's COOL WORLD was the last, boy am I dating myself!).

Last edited:
The Lost Tape: Andy's Terrifying Last Days Revealed (2004) - Subtítulos en Español - Cortometraje
Gives a little backstory to Andy. Shows the outbreak began as "riots" on the night of May 6, 2004 and was only known to the public on the morning of May 7, 2004. By then, the entire United States and the world had collapsed into anarchy.

The setting of The Walking Dead: World Beyond is ten years after Monument Day, which is the day the Wildfire Virus brought humanity to a new dark age. The outbreak began in August 2010 so it's 2020 now. There are apparently new strains of the Wildfire Virus especially in Europe.

We also see several survivor states within the former United States such as the Civil Republic based in Nebraska plus other examples including the Hilltop Colony, Alexandria Safe Zone, the Kingdom, Commonwealth Republic, Portland, Ithaca (New York), and Philadelphia, PA.
the-walking-dead-world-beyond-amc-tv-show-zombies-robert-kirkman-8.jpg

For the remake of Dawn of the Dead, I could imagine the world is similar to the World Beyond series. I could imagine for TTL's 2014-2024 would be a post-apocalyptic America with similar survivor states within the U.S. and the world.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2186

The setting of The Walking Dead: World Beyond is ten years after Monument Day, which is the day the Wildfire Virus brought humanity to a new dark age. The outbreak began in August 2010 so it's 2020 now. There are apparently new strains of the Wildfire Virus especially in Europe.

We also see several survivor states within the former United States such as the Civil Republic based in Nebraska plus other examples including the Hilltop Colony, Alexandria Safe Zone, the Kingdom, Commonwealth Republic, Portland, Ithaca (New York), and Philadelphia, PA.
the-walking-dead-world-beyond-amc-tv-show-zombies-robert-kirkman-8.jpg

For the remake of Dawn of the Dead, I could imagine the world is similar to the World Beyond series. I could imagine for TTL's 2014-2024 would be a post-apocalyptic America with similar survivor states within the U.S. and the world.
Interesting, never knew this existed, thanks.

Deleted member 2186

It implies that some form of education survived the Wildfire Pandemic in TWD. Perhaps in DOTD, something similar could happened.
Think education like going to the university is among the last thing i would find important, but then again this is Hollywood we are speaking of.

Think education like going to the university is among the last thing i would find important, but then again this is Hollywood we are speaking of.
Basic education is still a need, especially technical stuff like farming, hunting, filtering of water, basic medicine, and craftsmanship.

Basic education is still a need, especially technical stuff like farming, hunting, filtering of water, basic medicine, and craftsmanship.
I must agree things like farming and hunting will be most useful as will other basic survival skills that are now needed with the fall of civilization as we knew it.

Basic reading/writing will be of much help as will basic math (adding and subtracting mostly, I see things like geometry and calculus not being taught).

I also see a lot of trade schools around; mechanics, electricians and plumbers are worth their weight in gold. There will be a small need for new pilots as older ones cease to be able to fly but with few aircraft there's not going to be a huge demand - at least not at first.

For "University" level things like basic chemistry and biology will be useful.

I see older doctors being recruited to try and keep medical universities functional; doctors and nurses plus support personnel being of extreme usefulness.