Dawn of the Dead (2004) 15 years after the outbreak...

Speaking of that, I'm sure the gold reserves at Fort Knox would have been forgotten. Many years later, perhaps even centuries, it would become a myth just like Yamashita's gold.
I think your interest in saying "we've got to figure out the pop culture!" in these apocalyptic scenarios overlooks that so many people will be dead and thinking of simply trying to survive to worry about this stuff. No one is going to have the luxury or time to craft urban legends.

There's not going to be pop culture when there are only a few humans left. We'll be lucky if we avoid extinction.

I think your interest in saying "we've got to figure out the pop culture!" in these apocalyptic scenarios overlooks that so many people will be dead and thinking of simply trying to survive to worry about this stuff. No one is going to have the luxury or time to craft urban legends.

There's not going to be pop culture when there are only a few humans left. We'll be lucky if we avoid extinction.
I mean what would happen if some survivor group decides to raid Fort Knox? What would happen to the U.S. gold reserves that were left there? Would it even have value in the post-apocalyptic world to be melted into currency or what not?

Deleted member 2186

I mean what would happen if some survivor group decides to raid Fort Knox? What would happen to the U.S. gold reserves that were left there? Would it even have value in the post-apocalyptic world to be melted into currency or what not?
Gold has no value in a Zombie apocalypse, unless the remove the gold and use Fort Knox as their new base of operations.

Gold would only have value if someone else wanted it either for its properties or felt it would regain its value sometime in the future.

Currently the items with the greatest monitary value would be ammunition, food, water and gasoline. Medicine is of some value but only a doctor would be able to determine if it was worth purchasing and how much it's worth.

Gold is useful for electrical conductors and as a filling for dentistry. Scientists rebuilding after an economic collapse would definitely love to get their hands on Fort Knox's gold.

Deleted member 2186

Gold would only have value if someone else wanted it either for its properties or felt it would regain its value sometime in the future.

Currently the items with the greatest monitary value would be ammunition, food, water and gasoline. Medicine is of some value but only a doctor would be able to determine if it was worth purchasing and how much it's worth.
The Gold in Forth Knox is useful, to build a very expensive wall around the fort.

Gold is useful for electrical conductors and as a filling for dentistry. Scientists rebuilding after an economic collapse would definitely love to get their hands on Fort Knox's gold.
I wonder just how many practicing dentists there will be after this mess sorts itself out. Most will probably become medical personal of some kind as that's where they are needed more.

@centraleuropeDD told me that this how likely Spain would have weathered the outbreak, considering that it was still recovering from the March 11, 2004 Madrid train station bombings
Well, maybe they would use some emergency hospitals to the infected on Madrid. As they got a new goverment (March 14 – The PSOE wins the election in Spain; José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero is elected Prime Minister of Spain, replacing José María Aznar.)
, and there was a bit of hate that year (Irak war, and troops deployed there), the new goverment was establishing a defence forces, and Barcelona was preparing from this. Spanish army was changing since Cold War

Why not? Storytelling is hardly a modern invention. Even nomadic tribes have myths and legends. You’re right that it doesn’t matter if we all die out but that’s not the scenario Gillan is going for.
I’m sure plenty of survivors sitting around the camp fire would spin all kinds of stories about the old world, which will only grow more mythic in proportion when they pass those stories onto their kids.

Why not? Storytelling is hardly a modern invention. Even nomadic tribes have myths and legends. You’re right that it doesn’t matter if we all die out but that’s not the scenario Gillan is going for.
I’m sure plenty of survivors sitting around the camp fire would spin all kinds of stories about the old world, which will only grow more mythic in proportion when they pass those stories onto their kids.
Agreed. My first question about Fort Knox is what would happen if some survivors purposely raided or accidentally stumbled into it. As people said, while gold has no monetary value, the metal can be used for medicine and dental practices if not for making crude ammunition.

Secondly, since the outbreak began in May 2004, people will definitely miss the days before the Pandemic. Keep note in 2004, the U.S. was still the sole superpower and was involved in the Middle East. Mid-way into the 2000s, people would definitely tell stories of how the decade began from the Y2K scare, 9/11 attacks, the War on Terror, PlayStation 2s and low rise jeans. Heck, I'd even see people say that 9/11 led to the zombie apocalypse. I could see some conspiracy theorists say that this was caused by the Iraq invasion due to Saddam's WMDs.

Even if you found Fort Knox you won't get in. From what I understand it would take a nuke to get inside.

Then gold is heavy. Even with large trucks moving any appreciable amount will be difficult.

Now that Zack Synder's Army of the Dead will show next month, one can say the zombies from Dawn of the Dead evolved into even more intelligent ones. They were shown to have limited degree of intelligence or awareness in Dawn.

Do you agree with that Reddit post?
No. It was all the shooting that alerted zombies outside the area that "hey, there's food where the shots are coming from!" So more and more kept showing up. I also personally feel zombies are drawn to large groups of other zombies figuring they're there for a meal so why not force them to share?

And stabbing the zombies? Only damaging the brain will help, and most knives won't penetrate the skull easily. You would be better off with a Louisville slugger, a golf club or a good piece of rebar. But even then you're going to get tired quick and the zombies are not going to stop until they get you.

I do agree that damn dog was a lot more trouble than it was worth.

It's a pity that the group in the mall couldn't have taken a few trucks over to the gun store right away to pick up Andy and as many guns and as much ammo as they could carry back to the mall before that became impossible...

No. It was all the shooting that alerted zombies outside the area that "hey, there's food where the shots are coming from!" So more and more kept showing up. I also personally feel zombies are drawn to large groups of other zombies figuring they're there for a meal so why not force them to share?

And stabbing the zombies? Only damaging the brain will help, and most knives won't penetrate the skull easily. You would be better off with a Louisville slugger, a golf club or a good piece of rebar. But even then you're going to get tired quick and the zombies are not going to stop until they get you.

It's a pity that the group in the mall couldn't have taken a few trucks over to the gun store right away to pick up Andy and as many guns and as much ammo as they could carry back to the mall before that became impossible...
Yeah, it’s really weird to claim that they could kill 86,000 zombies in 24hrs just by stabbing them from the roof.

Eight hours of stabbing zombies? I doubt even a very physical person could keep that up for more than 30-45 minutes, much less eight hours. And most of these people weren't that fit...

Agreed. Now if you've got enough heavy stuff to drop on their heads that will help but whatever you drop has to be able to fracture the skull and do serious damage to the brain. A cinder block or a couple of bricks taped together will do the job but a baseball-sized rock probably won't. And I doubt there's enough stuff in the mall to bring up on the roof. I can just see the group dropping TV's and Stereo's on top of zombies.

And using gas is VERY risky, you have no way of fighting the fire from the roof and you run a real risk of burning yourself out...

Last edited:
Do you agree with that Reddit post?
Defiitely not.

Stabbing zombies in the head isn't easy as The Walking Dead showed it. Heck, since there are ordinary folks with little to no military training. It even takes precision and skill to land a clean stab through the skull.

The dog could have survived on its own by eating scraps or rotten meat. The zombies ignored it after all. I was thinking that the forces of nature like maggots, rats, and vultures would start picking on those zombies as the rot started showing one month after the outbreak.

Well, I also wanted them to pick up guns and ammo but the plot did not want it.
Yeah, it’s really weird to claim that they could kill 86,000 zombies in 24hrs just by stabbing them from the roof.
Agreed. I remember watching the Andy's Lost Tape special features wherein Andy mentions he could have cleared the parking lot by sniping zombies from his roof. However, more and more kept on coming after gunshots attracted them as well as what remained of human senses in the zombies that food was in the roof of the mall. It became too crowded to the point that Andy described it like a rock concert.
Eight hours of stabbing zombies? I doubt even a very physical person could keep that up for more than 30-45 minutes, much less eight hours. And most of these people weren't that fit...

Agreed. Now if you've got enough heavy stuff to drop on their heads that will help but whatever you drop has to be able to fracture the skull and do serious damage to the brain. A cinder block or a couple of bricks taped together will do the job but a baseball-sized rock probably won't. And I doubt there's enough stuff in the mall to bring up on the roof. I can just see the group dropping TV's and Stereo's on top of zombies.

And using gas is VERY risky, you have no way of fighting the fire from the roof and you run a real risk of burning yourself out...
Eight hours would ware the characters out. Even in half an hour, an untrained person would run out of stamina.

I was wondering if the mall had cinder blocks. But it would take skill to accurately aim on the head. The problem with using TVs and stereos is that the mall only has a limited supply of those and it won't really thin the horde's numbers.

The Andy's Lost Tape features had Andy use a Molotov cocktail to see if it worked. It didn't much to his disappointment. In the mall's basement, they did use a fuel pump to take out the straggled zombies present there. Lastly, we saw them use propane tanks to clear the horde but IRL propane tanks don't have that big explosion.

I have just finished watching Army of the Dead. The movie is awesome. I would give it a 9/10.

Further reading that I did states that this was supposed to be the sequel for the Dawn remake that was meant to be released in 2008. One could argue that it could serve as a spiritual successor due to having similar elements. Instead, it just sat in Development Hell for 13 years before finally being adapted into a film.

The dog could have survived on its own by eating scraps or rotten meat. The zombies ignored it after all. I was thinking that the forces of nature like maggots, rats, and vultures would start picking on those zombies as the rot started showing one month after the outbreak.

This is the part that makes no sense. Maggots LOVE rotting flesh, most of the dead should have been eaten away by winter. Only those where flies couldn't get to them would survive more than a few months...

Last edited: