Dawn of the Dead (2004) 15 years after the outbreak...

Speaking of the original Night of the Living Dead, it would be cool to see how the world went from the situation at the end, where roving militias seemed to be clearing out the undead, to the original Dawn of the Dead, where society is coming apart at the seams. I know people can be stupid and panicky, but you'd think the military could deal with the slow, mindless zombies.
I guess if they protect vital infraestructure, and resources, they cand last more tim

I would put a lot of blame on fake news. Remember two things from DOTD:

1) The two talking heads arguing about just how serious the crisis was.
2) The list of rescue stations being badly out of date, with some of them known to have been overrun.

Bad or incorrect information, not misinforming propaganda.
The deliberate posting of rescue stations known to be overrun will lead to many deaths that could have been avoided. This is NO accident as the Station Manager told the operative to keep showing the list to avoid losing viewers, despite the information being knowingly outdated. Being this was intentional makes me say propaganda.

The deliberate posting of rescue stations known to be overrun will lead to many deaths that could have been avoided. This is NO accident as the Station Manager told the operative to keep showing the list to avoid losing viewers, despite the information being knowingly outdated. Being this was intentional makes me say propaganda.
Are we talking the original or the remake? Been years since I saw the original DOTD, but I definitely don't remember that in the remake.

It was the original which started in a TV Studio. In the remake the mall guards watched a lot of news while the gang was jailed. IIRC they argued about just how much of it was real.

The original is on YouTube if you want to see it. I did and it's still giving me nightmares...

Perhaps in 2020, the surviving communities would probably look like the Alexandria Safe Zone, Hill Top Colony, The Kingdom, and the Commonwealth (below) from the Walking Dead comics
Issue_176_Street.jpg

What will money get you if the world is overrun by zombies.
Exactly. Money will quickly be worthless as what can you spend it on? Things like food and ammo will quickly become the standard barter elements of any catastrophe.
That depends if there are functioning states outside the infected zone. The plot of Peninsula (2020) had Korean survivors being tasked by a local Hong Kong triad to retrieve a truckload of money in the quarantined Korean Peninsula. Since the money was in USD and only Korea collapsed, the rest of the world is fine and so money could still work.

If we are talking about a worldwide zombie apocalypse, then money would only be used as toilet paper or something for kindling. I remember the beginning scene of Day of the Dead (1985) showed a bunch of $100 bills drifting in the wind in an abandoned Fort Myers, which is a useful meaning that society has long but collapsed.
Skip to 4:18

Apparently the scene was also reused in 28 Days Later when a recently-awakened Jim finds a lot of British Pounds in the street and he knew something bad happened.

Heck, even Kauffman (portrayed by Dennis Hopper) was seen trying to escape the zombie invasion of Fiddler's Green with briefcases full of cash. His greed his own death.

Money will still have value to the optimists, the people who think society will recover and is in a rough patch. Even if not accepted nearly everywhere, they will hoard it (and likely break into banks and collect more).

Some warlords or community organizers might insist on continuing to use currency within their borders, and pseudo-government continuations or Army bases might as well, although this is all enforced economies at the point of a gun.

And time will decide the value of currencies. A day later, a week later, a year later. All different situations and it depends on how "overrun" everything is. If it's just Shaun of the Dead, and you have a bad couple of days and then everyone adjusts and returns to semi-normalcy, then money will always have value. In the Dawn of the Dead (2004) situation, which covers a few months, the economy has crashed, but may recover if people adjust.

Money will still have value to the optimists, the people who think society will recover and is in a rough patch. Even if not accepted nearly everywhere, they will hoard it (and likely break into banks and collect more).

Some warlords or community organizers might insist on continuing to use currency within their borders, and pseudo-government continuations or Army bases might as well, although this is all enforced economies at the point of a gun.

And time will decide the value of currencies. A day later, a week later, a year later. All different situations and it depends on how "overrun" everything is. If it's just Shaun of the Dead, and you have a bad couple of days and then everyone adjusts and returns to semi-normalcy, then money will always have value. In the Dawn of the Dead (2004) situation, which covers a few months, the economy has crashed, but may recover if people adjust.
Probably not at all. Society collapsed in 24 hours. It's gonna be like a nuclear war scenario where the next valuable thing would be scrap metal and ammunition. See how barter was done in Fear the Walking Dead in that Mexican Safe Zone.
Considering the sheer death toll and humanity's near extinction, I doubt "recover" and "adjust" are the right words...
Speaking of that, I'm sure the gold reserves at Fort Knox would have been forgotten. Many years later, perhaps even centuries, it would become a myth just like Yamashita's gold.