Dawn of the Dead (2004) 15 years after the outbreak...

I saw that the other day. It was pretty interesting, makes me wonder how many people were actually able to figure out what to do.
The problem for this is the outbreak engulfed the planet overnight and those caught in the cities would be not so fortunate. Only those in the rural country side with lots of guns like Alabama and Texas would be fortunate to at least resist the hordes. One clip in the news showed that rural Pensylvannia was lucky enough to form "clean-and-sweep" teams led by a Sheriff (played by Tom Savini) who said "head = dead".

So far this guy would like survive:

I agree, this hit fast and hard. By the time people began to grasp the seriousness of the situation it was too late, especially in urban areas where the sheer mass of people meant the infection spread exponentially.

I agree, this hit fast and hard. By the time people began to grasp the seriousness of the situation it was too late, especially in urban areas where the sheer mass of people meant the infection spread exponentially.
Only those lucky would be in isolated islands in the Pacific or Indian Ocean or barren lands like Alaska, Aleutian Islands, Greenland, and Siberia.

however, i don't get, how it can happen at the same time in all the world; also in countries which are ruled by dictatorship, perhaps, those governments can make people understand and combat infections with more success

however, i don't get, how it can happen at the same time in all the world; also in countries which are ruled by dictatorship, perhaps, those governments can make people understand and combat infections with more success
It's MacGuffin. Basically have the virus pop out around the world so the society will collapse in 24 hours.

A lot will depend on the incubation period. This is the problem with COVID, it has a long incubation period so by the time you know you have it you've already spread it around.

This was a huge chunk of the problem in George Romero's THE CRAZIES, the Trixie Virus was deliberately designed with a long incubation period so it would spread further before becoming active...

It probably started all at once across the planet. Of course, why that happened was never discussed.
Maybe there was no more room in Hell, so the dead began to walk the Earth... seriously, a supernatural explanation makes more sense than the virus just appearing all across the world simultaneously. That, or the space radiation from the original Night of the Living Dead.

Maybe there was no more room in Hell, so the dead began to walk the Earth... seriously, a supernatural explanation makes more sense than the virus just appearing all across the world simultaneously. That, or the space radiation from the original Night of the Living Dead.
perhaps the radiation; but even that, i don't think it can affect the entire world, it only says a space probe explodes in the atmosphere; i don't think it can affect all the world at once

IIRC the news report said that a space probe returning from Venus was carrying a mysterious high-level radiation when it crashed into the ocean off the US eastern seaboard, which incidentally is where the effects were said to be the worst...

perhaps the radiation; but even that, i don't think it can affect the entire world, it only says a space probe explodes in the atmosphere; i don't think it can affect all the world at once
IIRC the news report said that a space probe returning from Venus was carrying a mysterious high-level radiation when it crashed into the ocean off the US eastern seaboard, which incidentally is where the effects were said to be the worst...
Perhaps the space probe contaminated the entire world with radiation but that radiation doesn't kill people outright but whatever it does, it reanimates the recently-deceased? Hence we don't see zombies rising from the graves. So same principle, entire world is infected with the "radiation" and only death alters the form of the life form.

Meanwhile, it has been stated the origin of the radiation in an upcoming prequel comic.

Speaking of the original Night of the Living Dead, it would be cool to see how the world went from the situation at the end, where roving militias seemed to be clearing out the undead, to the original Dawn of the Dead, where society is coming apart at the seams. I know people can be stupid and panicky, but you'd think the military could deal with the slow, mindless zombies.

Speaking of the original Night of the Living Dead, it would be cool to see how the world went from the situation at the end, where roving militias seemed to be clearing out the undead, to the original Dawn of the Dead, where society is coming apart at the seams. I know people can be stupid and panicky, but you'd think the military could deal with the slow, mindless zombies.

My guesses?

Some economic disaster
Some major political scandal(s)
Cold war over heating
Some far less lethal but still damaging Carrington effect.
Nukes
Fake news (lol)
Near unimaginable political strife

Or A combination of one or more of these.

I had a couple major issues with John Russo's NOTLD graphic novels (I find the mixing of graphic nudity and death and gore really disgusting) really enjoyed the one taking place in pre-1968 election D.C.

Spoiler ahead!

A major presidential candidate is presumably infected during the story.

To see what effects with an infected member of a government can do, look no further than high school of the dead.