Dawn of the Dead (2004) 15 years after the outbreak...

I'll be be writing a report on the status of the U.S. Navy soon for this TL. It will take an insane amount of research to know where the ships were at the time of the POD. This will only cover the combatant assets (emphasis on the carriers, destroyers, cruisers, and submarines) and some auxiliaries such as the USNS Mercy and USNS Comfort hospital ships.

My initial research shows the USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76) after five-month post-shakedown availability, received her second flight deck certification which encompassed all flight operations, including aircraft launch and recovery, safety, crash and salvage, fuel certifications, and training on May 8, 2004 (The exact date of the POD). The Gipper would depart Naval Statin Norfolk on May 27, 2004 towards the Straits of Magellan at the tip of South America on the way to San Diego. Hence in this timeline, it would be stuck at Norfolk, never seeing action as the city was overrun with RLFs.

The USS Nimitz (CVN-68) would was completing a planned incremental availability at NAS North Island from February 23-August 22, 2004 (OTL), therefore would be at San Diego by the time of the outbreak. It would most likely been abandoned at port while the city was overrun.

Last edited:
Just a bit of a spoiler here, things look bleak for the U.S. Navy for this timeline than I initially thought. As of May 2004, America had 12 aircraft carriers and another one under construction: the USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77). Most were at port at the time of the outbreak so I doubt that they could escape port that easily, unlike submarines, destroyers, cruisers, and other surface assets. To my knowledge, it would take time for a carrier to leave port. In my research, only three carriers (with a possible fourth) have survived due to being deployed at sea:
  • USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63)
  • USS Enterprise (CVN-65)
  • USS George Washington (CVN-73)
Possibly survived:
  • USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67)
  • USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70)

Last edited:
@Resurgam I finally wrote a gathered timeline combining the special features and the Biggest Fear fanfiction posted above. What do you think of it?
Oh, hey.

I'd agree with a previous poster - too much rape. As a storytelling device, you should only use it if ABSOLUTELY necessary, and I don't think it met the requirements there.

Also not sure why there's so much real world stuff - 9/11, Iraq war, etc. Were characters in the fanfic involved?

I liked Michael as a character and was saddened to see how he left the film, but it seems somewhat... forced to make the story work. But much like the rape issue that's probably an issue of the original fanfic and not you.

And finally, the zombies probably wouldn't last that long. They were already pretty rotted by the end of the film, so the outbreak would probably have burned out by Christmas especially since the northern hemisphere would have been entering summer.

Oh, hey.

I'd agree with a previous poster - too much rape. As a storytelling device, you should only use it if ABSOLUTELY necessary, and I don't think it met the requirements there.

I liked Michael as a character and was saddened to see how he left the film, but it seems somewhat... forced to make the story work. But much like the rape issue that's probably an issue of the original fanfic and not you.

And finally, the zombies probably wouldn't last that long. They were already pretty rotted by the end of the film, so the outbreak would probably have burned out by Christmas especially since the northern hemisphere would have been entering summer.
Right, thanks for your feedback. I was basically summarising the Biggest Fear fanfic. My ideas for the timeline itself is that the survivors escape and live on their own for the years to come. What is left of society rebuilds slowly but just like a nuclear war scenario, humanity is far from the technological levels of OTL 2019 (i.e. no smartphones, no social media, cars restored to basic level, the remnants of the U.S. government reclaim what is left, etc).

An important to note only the earliest version of Facebook was available at the time of the outbreak and would have been shutdown as their HQ burned to the ground.

Oh, hey.
Also not sure why there's so much real world stuff - 9/11, Iraq war, etc. Were characters in the fanfic involved?

The 9/11 and Iraq is to give context to the setting of the early 2000s and hence why people thought the outbreak was another case of terrorism.

Just a bit of a spoiler here, things look bleak for the U.S. Navy for this timeline than I initially thought.
Depends on a couple factors:
* How prepared were the carriers at that point from departing?

* Were the docks able to be held for a while?

* How fast did the outbreak get to the city in question, and how long did it take to overrun the city? The whole "everything collapses in two hours" we saw in the film is a bit much.

* You're also assuming the Navy doesn't have a "HOLY FUCK" plan for emergencies like this. Whether it would work is another matter, but I'd imagine that if the US apparently has plans for an alien invasion, it has plans for the need to depart very fast.

Depends on a couple factors:
* How prepared were the carriers at that point from departing?

* Were the docks able to be held for a while?

* How fast did the outbreak get to the city in question, and how long did it take to overrun the city? The whole "everything collapses in two hours" we saw in the film is a bit much.

* You're also assuming the Navy doesn't have a "HOLY FUCK" plan for emergencies like this. Whether it would work is another matter, but I'd imagine that if the US apparently has plans for an alien invasion, it has plans for the need to depart very fast.

1. Some carriers such as the Nimitz was undergoing repairs or maintenance hauls while the Gipper was being prepared for its maiden voyage three weeks from the time of the outbreak. Based on my research, the Theodore Roosevelt was currently undergoing drydocking in Newport News.
2. The news report shows red dots popping out over the USA in alarming rate. It could be that the naval bases were being defended but again it takes time to prepare a carrier being repaired to BTFO.
3. The Navy definitely has some HOLY FUCK plans. Remember during the Cold War, in case hostilities would appear, carriers and subs would be deployed to the sea so that in case of nuclear attacks, they would be spared. Maybe some carriers just regularly docked like the Kitty Hawk which was in Yokosuka, Japan at the time of the outbreak can get the fuck out on time, but will have to leave some crew members behind. That said, I think smaller ships like destroyers, cruisers, amphibious assault ships, amphibious cargo ships, landing ship docks, and submarines have a better chance of surviving. And remember the ships themselves could be compromised by internal outbreaks. My research only searches for where the ships were at the time of the outbreak so anything beyond that is beyond me if it survives or not. 50-50.

1. Some carriers such as the Nimitz was undergoing repairs or maintenance hauls while the Gipper was being prepared for its maiden voyage three weeks from the time of the outbreak. Based on my research, the Theodore Roosevelt was currently undergoing drydocking in Newport News.
Don't be so beholden to research that you neglect to tell a good story. Remember that in the end you are telling a story based on someone else's story about the recently deceased getting up and eating the living. I'd honestly be more interested in reading a story of a carrier or any ship trying to make it than "and everyone got overrun, the end."

2. The news report shows red dots popping out over the USA in alarming rate. It could be that the naval bases were being defended but again it takes time to prepare a carrier being repaired to BTFO.
The thing is, the idea the entire US - let alone the world - would be overrun and dominated by the undead within 24, 36 hours is such an incredibly hard sell. I remember my roommate and I having trouble with that WSD when we saw the film in college. I think people forget just how many friggin' guns there are in America, and that they're not going to just stand there if a dead guy gets up and lunges for someone.

I'm more than certain naval bases have plans in places for a mass rush of people that would be like a zombie apocalypse. Of course, your mileage will vary as to how well and how long they will last...

Basically see #1.

Unless in drydock or undergoing a major overhaul with machinery taken apart a ship can generally power up and leave relatively quickly once there's enough bodies on board to do so. Of course a carrier with minimal personnel will have trouble conducting air operations. And a lot will depend on how many stores are on board, minimal supplies means it will have to be resupplied quickly. And bases are surrounded by fences which will help guards defend it for awhile.

If bases are threatened with overrun I see the ship sailing immediately regardless of personnel or supplies, problems that can be addressed later.

Unless in drydock or undergoing a major overhaul with machinery taken apart a ship can generally power up and leave relatively quickly once there's enough bodies on board to do so. Of course a carrier with minimal personnel will have trouble conducting air operations. And a lot will depend on how many stores are on board, minimal supplies means it will have to be resupplied quickly. And bases are surrounded by fences which will help guards defend it for awhile.

If bases are threatened with overrun I see the ship sailing immediately regardless of personnel or supplies, problems that can be addressed later.
So in my research, depending where the ships were on May 7-8, 2004, I will not say they were abandoned at port and I'll take a 50-50 chance it survived depending on what type of ship. A smaller ship like Coast Guard cutter or a cruiser can definitely haul ass out of port but a carrier will definitely be much more difficult to haul ass.

An important to note only the earliest version of Facebook was available at the time of the outbreak and would have been shutdown as their HQ burned to the ground.

In 2004 the notable social networking sites would probably be stuff like AOL, Friendster, and maybe MySpace. Perhaps preserved info from the sites could be used to give some insight into how the average person reacted to the outbreak.
As for for the question of Navy ships I wonder how many would either go rogue or decide to band together with civilian ships to form nomadic fleets, kinda like a maritime version of Battlestar Galactica. Only occasionally sending helicopters or small boats to raid ruined coastal cities and towns for supplies.

Last edited:
Any large ships unable to sail would undoubtedly have their crews transferred to other ships that can.

I like CJD's ideas, a lot would depend on how many officers are aboard (you have to assume some ships might not have any officers at all, or those few have "accidents" rather quickly...)...

In 2004 the notable social networking sites would probably be stuff like AOL, Friendster, and maybe MySpace. Perhaps preserved info from the sites could be used to give some insight into how average person reacted to the outbreak.
As for for the question of Navy ships I wonder how many would either go rogue or decide to band together with civilian ships to form nomadic fleets, kinda like a maritime version of Battlestar Galactica. Only occasionally sending helicopters or small boats to raid ruined coastal cities and towns for supplies.
1. Andy did mention about the Internet still function a few days into the outbreak. Definitely some users would have posted about it before the Internet was lost.
2. Many navy ships at sea could have done that. Some at port may have escaped but that depends how many crew were there or how much warning they had before they had pull the ropes.
Any large ships unable to sail would undoubtedly have their crews transferred to other ships that can.

I like CJD's ideas, a lot would depend on how many officers are aboard (you have to assume some ships might not have any officers at all, or those few have "accidents" rather quickly...)...
A ship can function as long as there are tenders and oilers plus a safe port for long term rest.

@Resurgam Have you read the final issue of the Walking Dead comic, Issue 193? It shows society rebuilding itself to 1900s level of technology years after the zombie apocalypse, far from the 2019 levels of our technology.

@Resurgam Have you read the final issue of the Walking Dead comic, Issue 193? It shows society rebuilding itself to 1900s level of technology years after the zombie apocalypse, far from the 2019 levels of our technology.
I wasn’t aware TWD had stopped publishing.

Otherwise, can’t comment having not read it.

I wasn’t aware TWD had stopped publishing.

Otherwise, can’t comment having not read it.
What I can say is similar thing you said for Dawn of the Dead after all the zombies have died out, humanity would be reduced to Fall Out-type of settlements with 1900s technology (i.e. horse-carriage wagons) while cars would be scarcely use to conserve what fuel and spare parts remain. Perhaps we could see steam or coal-powered trains make a comeback across the United States. Trade and economy would be probably be reduced to barter.

What I can say is similar thing you said for Dawn of the Dead after all the zombies have died out, humanity would be reduced to Fall Out-type of settlements with 1900s technology (i.e. horse-carriage wagons) while cars would be scarcely use to conserve what fuel and spare parts remain. Perhaps we could see steam or coal-powered trains make a comeback across the United States. Trade and economy would be probably be reduced to barter.
I actually don't remember saying any of that, but that'd be my opinion, yes. Must have been earlier in the conversation.

I actually don't remember saying any of that, but that'd be my opinion, yes. Must have been earlier in the conversation.
Yes, you mentioned earlier in the thread that everything made of the artificial world such as cars, telecomms, and Wall Street trade would be done for and gone by the time the zombies rot to nothingness.

This therefore makes the reestablishment of the United States federal government (or any country) unlikely for decades to come.

Yes, you mentioned earlier in the thread that everything made of the artificial world such as cars, telecomms, and Wall Street trade would be done for and gone by the time the zombies rot to nothingness.
Yeah, I went back and saw it.

This therefore makes the reestablishment of the United States federal government (or any country) unlikely for decades to come.
Not... necessarily. It depends on what you mean by "re-establishment." If you mean a remnant authority or designated survivor manages to get a state set-up and working, then that's actually possible depending on how long the outbreak lasts. If you mean controlling all territory it did before Patient Zero, then probably. Though it would vary on which former state we're talking about for a number of reasons.

Not to mention the issue of isolated communities developing distinct identities over the decades/centuries. For example by 2104 the society that developed in Wisconsin could be very distinct from the groups in California. They might see each other at best as foreigners that share a cultural heritage.