Dawn of the Dead (2004) 15 years after the outbreak...

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Gillan1220, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Mad Missouri Fountain Pen Enthusiast.

Except Ms. Brooks is completely ignorant of the effects of modern missiles, bombs and artillery. The battle outside of New York wouldn't have gone anything like he wrote. Zombies still need legs ans arms and chests and head to do zombie things. The bombs, missiles, mortars and artillery used would have blown many of those zombies to pieces. Still undead pieces for sure but not walking and attacking people pieces.

theclerk likes this.
  2. eltf177 Well-Known Member

That it was, it filled in a LOT of gaps and in many ways scared me more than the film itself...

NoOneFamous likes this.
  3. USSManhattan Teacher and Writer of Things

It's been a decade since I read WWZ, so I can only remember the Battle of Yonkers happening and ending in a zombie victory. My only thoughts would be:

1) Idiot balls for humans and plot armor for zombies are necessary for zombie apocalypses
    2) I believe they were fighting the zombies that had overrun New York City, if not its metropolitan area? Even bombs and missiles are going to have problems thinning a heard of ten million ex-people.

4. Mad Missouri Fountain Pen Enthusiast.

If I remember right the Army were blocking a choke point, maybe a bridge, and lured the zombie toward them. They rained down tube and rocket artillery on the herd. Brooks seems to think artillery needs a living being to work. It doesn't. Its true fragments wouldn't get many, but the explosive force would wipe out or reduce the effectiveness of a lot of zombies. Zombies with no legs and one arm aren't too dangerous.

5. USSManhattan Teacher and Writer of Things

Oh, I agree. And I remember they dropped a MOAB and inverted a good chunk.

I think what Brooks' "argument" was was, as I pointed out earlier, there's only so many of those weapons (which will be limited due to friendly fire) and millions of undead.

6. Gillan1220 Gillan, God Emperor of Craft Cafe Bar

If there was a Dawn of the Dead remake x World War Z crossover, there won't even be a Yonkers to begin with. The CONUS was engulfed with Reanimated Life Forms in 26 hours.

7. Gillan1220 Gillan, God Emperor of Craft Cafe Bar

8. Gillan1220 Gillan, God Emperor of Craft Cafe Bar

"Is this another attack on the country?"

9. Gillan1220 Gillan, God Emperor of Craft Cafe Bar

By Hour 20 of the outbreak, May 8, 2004, 10 million are estimated dead in the United States. Note that this was a widely conservative minor estimate. The U.S. population as of May 1, 2004 (1 week of the POD) was pegged at approximately 292.35 million.

The world population stood at 6.3 billion at the time of the outbreak. Perhaps 1 billion humans are alive once the zombies die out in the years to come.

EbolaMan131 likes this.