Darkness before Dawn - Purple Phoenix 1416

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah that makes sense. I'd think the Morea campaign would be successful considering the weak position of the lord of Morea. How would the Ottomans try to react to it considering the sultan is getting weaker and weaker and other actors in the empire try to wrestle power from the Sultan?
I would say that IRL the Romans strike at a very oppotune time - the Italians and Aragonese that were the traditional protector of Latin holdings in Greece were busy with internal struggle or against eachother, while the Ottomans have their hands full against rebellious subordinates and Behreddin. None of the actors were in the position to directly intervene, which led to a rather successful campaign historically, albeit not a complete one as the Italians still held to some coastal cities and fortresses such as Patras and Akadia. However from my research I found that Thessaloniki were not involved in the campaign - so their inclusion will lead to some ripple effects.

I would say that IRL the Romans strike at a very oppotune time - the Italians and Aragonese that were the traditional protector of Latin holdings in Greece were busy with internal struggle or against eachother, while the Ottomans have their hands full against rebellious subordinates and Behreddin. None of the actors were in the position to directly intervene, which led to a rather successful campaign historically, albeit not a complete one as the Italians still held to some coastal cities and fortresses such as Patras and Akadia. However from my research I found that Thessaloniki were not involved in the campaign - so their inclusion will lead to some ripple effects.
Would the Romans be able to take the coasts ittl? I'd hope they'd be able to do so. Also the Romans are more unified ittl which should be fun.

with more troop and stronger position, they could potentially yes, but it is a question of military matter as well as diplomatic one, as Venice have some serious economic interests in Peleponnese - so expect situation going back and forth
Would the Romans be able to take the coasts ittl? I'd hope they'd be able to do so. Also the Romans are more unified ittl which should be fun.With

with more troop and stronger position, they could potentially yes, but it is a question of military matter as well as diplomatic one, as Venice have some serious economic interests in Peleponnese - so expect situation going back and forth
Hmm I'd think if the Romans are smart about it if they have the military force they could do it. Especially if the Venetians know about it.

could we also see rome subdue epirus ?
I think Epirus would stretch the Romans too thin this time around. They have gathered all their resources in Peloponnesus, even though they wouldn’t face stiff open field battles, the Latin castles are still major obstacle that would drain most of their resources and provisions with a prolonged siege. I would say Epirus is for another time and opportunity

Chapter 8 – Glarentza
Chapter 8 – Glarentza

Andronikos looks outside his camp and sees the ground muddied by several days of rain. Wooden planks were placed on the ground to form a walkway for soldiers to walk upon, connecting various tents and camps, a vital part of the ever-growing Imperial encampment outside the castle of Glarentza.

With worrying thoughts, Andronikos put on a cloak and walks outside, towards the main camp for a war counsel. It has been 18 days since they marched into Achaea, and it has been 10 days since the siege of Glarentza began.

The Roman campaign all went very well initially, the local population didn’t make any meaningful resistance, some villages even openly welcome the arrival of Imperial army, ready to provide shelter and a limited amount of food. That been said, most Greek population are more or less indifferent to the whole situation – they may hate the foreign Latin lords that have placed heavy taxation and discriminatory policies upon them, but Roman rule have not shown any respite on the heavily-burdened peasants in the past, the taxes were equally heavy. For most of the peasants, this whole campaign is for the nobles and the haves to fight over, as have-nots, they only hope for lenient taxation and less levy in the future.

As the main army rapidly marched north to encircle Glarentza, villages along the main road are quickly occupied and secured. Not before long, the whole south and central Achaea is placed under Roman control, where the Latin resistance either retreats north and east towards the mountainous terrain, or hold out in some of the castles spread across central Achaea. On 18 March, the Romans surrounds Glarentza from all sides, and promptly set up camp, the siege of Glarentza has begun.

Things however began to turn for the worse, as the weather soon turned bad. Sporadic but never-ending rainfall made the ground muddy, seriously hindering the siege efforts such as set up camp, prepare for siege equipment, or filling the moats outside the walls. In addition, a well-seasoned commander understands the impact of a long rainy weather on the health and morale of the men. The defence situation of Glarentza doesn't paint a favorable picture to the Romans either.

Outline_of_Glarentza.png

The layout of the city of Glarentza

The town of Glarentza was founded in the mid-13th century by William II of Villehardouin, the first Latin prince of Achaea, and the town served as the main port and mint of the Frankish Principality of Achaea. Situated on a small plateau, sloping slightly downwards from west to east, at the extreme northwestern end of the peninsula known in Antiquity as Chelonatas, in the area of Elis, Glarentza occupies an irregular shape of ca. 450 metres from east to west and 350 metres from north to south, i.e. a surface of ca. 8,800 square metres. The northern and western sides of the town bordered on the sea and were protected by a cliff of some 50 m in height descending to the sea. The port was located in the north, shielded from the dangerous western and southwestern winds. The walls of Glarentza are no match to the big cities such as Constantinople and Thessaloniki, but to breach it is a tedious endeavor nevetheless due to the favorable defensive terrain that Glarentza is situated in. This fact is the first thing Andronikos noticed when he arrived, he understood right away the difficiult task facing his men - Roman soldiers have to carry their equipment and push their siege engines up on a sloppy hill before reaching a long moat. Only after filling the moat under enemy barrage could they reach a series of ramparts - and only after destroying such ramparts can the men come near the walls it self.

And the Latins, though outnumbered, have enough men to fully garrison each and every square of Glarentza's walls. As the main port and bastion of Latin presence in Peleponnese, Glarentza hosts two thousands inhabitants, most of them merchants, city-dwellers and craftsmen, but also professional soldiers. Andronikos have no doubt that Centurione has pressed each and every able men into his service. A hard and difficult struggle is facing the young prince.

Entering the tent where war counsel is held, Andronikos sees Leontares and Theodoros discussing next to a map. As he knows Theodoros was campaigning in south and central Achaea, he is somewhat surprised by his appearance at the camp. Intrigued by the situation outside, Andronikos walks towards the two men to partake in their conversation.

“The logistical problem has been resolved rather successfully.” Theodoros smiles at Andronikos, his mood bright in contrast to people at the main camp.

“Finally, some good news, I assume Achaea is mostly pacified?”

“Mostly, the country side is firmly in our control, we have taken two Latin castles by surprise attack, one Latin castle surrendered once we offer amnesty and to transport them and their property to Italy. Only Arkadia remains in central Achaea in Latin hands. My men are now moving towards the hilly east Achaea, where the last Latin remnant forces remain.”

“This is good news indeed!” Ioannes appears at the entrance, he clearly overheard the good news from afar – Theodoros in excitement spoke loudly.

Ioannes comes towards his brethren and generals, standing in the middle of the table, then proclaims: “So far, despite some setbacks by the weather, our campaign has been very successful! In less than a month we have fully encircled Centurione and his Latin henchmen in Glarentza, and we have secured two thirds of Achaea for imperial control. It is only a matter of time before all of Achaea are rejoined into the Empire!”

“Glory to the Empire!” men at presence respond with loud cry.

Ioannes, with confidence in his eyes then declares: “Now, only Glarentza stands in front of us, we must use the good momentum to push! To push hard against the enemy! We must have our siege engines ready by fortnight, by then the men of Morea will have joined us, and we shall take Glarentza once and for all!”

Not all men are equally excited, Leontares speaks the words of caution: “My Excellency, I understand the urgency, but Glarentza has been well-fortified by the Latins, they have many men with siege experience, I’ve heard that they even have two cannons mounted at the walls. We mustn’t underestimate the enemy.”

“Cannons! Hah, it is but toys only foolish men are scared of! They have no practical use in real warfare! Intelligence says there are only 600 Latins in Glarentza, they are frightened by our might, and we outnumber them almost 10 to 1! One well-organized storm and we shall take the castle!” An old-school strategos from Constantinople, Demetrios Koutsoukos laughs at Leontares’ caution.

“Sometimes you worry too much Leontares, the Latins in Glarentza stand alone, no reinforcement are coming to them. They will be terrified and lose their will to fight, once we initiate our attack.” Ioannes clearly shares Demetrios’ optimism.

“The Latins are known for their tenacity, I have dealt with them in the past, they will not surrender without a proper fight. I have no quarrel with an attack once we are ready, but we must prepare comprehensively, especially against the arrows and firearms – each and every soldier of the Empire is an invaluable asset, we can ill afford to waste their precious lives away with careless assaults.”

“Leontares is right, we can make extra preparations, while at the same time meet the timeline decreed by your Excellece.” Andronikos comes to the aid of Leontares.

The face of Ioannes turns daunting for a brief moment, but does find merit in the argument of Leontares: “Extra preparations can never hurt – as long as all men meet the deadline. But do give your men some rest before the assault, I don’t want to see the assault goes to waste due to some tired men not getting good sleeps.”

“As you command, my Excellency.” Leontares and Andronikos both nod. It is then decided the assault shall begin on the April 10.

Last edited:
Quite likely the Romans will take the forts (preparations or not), but if they want to keep exploiting their successful momentum in Southern Greece, and Ottoman weaknesses, they need to keep their army in fighting-shape. At the same time though Ioannes is right, the deadline is quite important, both because the empire cannot afford (economically speaking) long campaigns, but also because the Romans can only exploit one opportunity at a time. As long as they're busy South, they can't do much elsewhere.

I'm quite surprised that some Romans still see firearms as weapons that don't factor into the battles. I'd think when a Roman emperor starts importing firearms and modern ruling styles that emperor will be called the restorer since they'd be able to fight their opponents properly.

I'm quite surprised that some Romans still see firearms as weapons that don't factor into the battles. I'd think when a Roman emperor starts importing firearms and modern ruling styles that emperor will be called the restorer since they'd be able to fight their opponents properly.
Hopefully they also break the back of traditionally-minded elites and bring new blood and new men into the elite. For the Eternal Empire! O Stavros Nika!

Hopefully they also break the back of traditionally-minded elites and bring new blood and new men into the elite. For the Eternal Empire! O Stavros Nika!
Who do you think will be the new blood? Turkic Christians? Some people from the Caucasus? Or a god-tier emperor that writes a lot about how the empire should be run.

I have gone back and revisited chapter 8 to add some additional information on the walls and defence of Glarentza - expect a chapter later today

Chapter 9 – Baptism by Fire
Chapter 9 – Baptism by Fire

10 April – Seen by many as blessing from God, the weather finally turned dry before the beginning of the assault, men are no longer bogged down by muddy terrain, a significant relief for the Romans.

On a sunny morning with light breeze of wind, Roman forces march out of camp in organized manner. The first line consists of men with big shields and specially constructed wagon with wooden planks in front – behind them are men carrying bags and bags of sand and dirt, their mission is to fill the moat behind the cover of shield-men and wagons. Next in line is around a thousand armored men with spear and bows, mostly from Thessaloniki. The spear-men’s mission is to protect from potential enemy assault, while archers provide covering fire.

Drums of war hovers across the battlefield, purple banners give the signal for movement.

Hundreds of men move across the sloppy hillside, towards the moat in the distance. The enemy in Glarentza waits patiently for the Romans to approach their firing range, holding their fire.

As Andronikos observes from the back of his horse that the first line of wagons nears the moat, a sudden roaring bang hail from the walls of Glarentza. A object hits the ground close to a wagon, splashing dirt and sands around.

“So that is the power of cannon.” Heart pumping from the excitement of partaking his first ever battle, Andronikos is fascinated by the weapon which he has never seen action before.

“Yes, the Venetians have them mounted in their galleys – very useful in siege warfare and naval battles. They may lack in precision, but are very deadly upon impact.” Leontares responds to Andronikos, they and their army of Thessaloniki are tasked with protecting the wings of the men, as such they move with their men in formation behind the wagons and dirt-bearers, always wary of potential enemy assault coming out of the gates.

‘Bang!’ Another round of cannon fire.

To the horror of Andronikos, he witnesses a cannon ball land a direct hit on a wooden wagon. The seemingly sturdy wagon immediately disintegrates into pieces, sending a hail of flying wooden shrapnel, killing and wounding a dozen of men around it.

A cannon ball lands on empty ground, but then bounces and trims a man’s head clean off.

“God what a terrifying weapon!” The horrific sights combined with constant loud bangs, place fears in the hearts of many men. However, the officers of the army encourage their men to carry on, using inspiring words and monetary promises.

As the men nears the moat, arrows start to rain upon them. Most are intercepted by shields and wagons; some manages to slip through and land hits on unarmored men.

By noon, despite suffering under the constant barrage of cannon balls and arrows, the Roman men works vigorously, and the moat is slowly filled up.

“Get the first column of men back for rest, send in the second column!” Strategos Demetrios who are in charge of the moat filing operation, senses his men are tiring and thus gives his order.

As the first columns of shield-men and dirt-bearers return from the sloppy hill, the southern gate of Glarentza suddenly opens. Around 200 Latin knights in their tall horses, shining armor and long lances charge through the gate straight towards the retreating men.

“Epilektoi! Spears down!!” While Andronikos is in shock, the experienced Leontares shouts his order. The Thessaloniki forces are placed on the flanks, and thus directly face the charging Latin knights.

Most groups of men follow the drill and move into a tight formation with ranks of spears lowering, but some group fails to execute their standard procedure in front of the terrifying charge, their movements deformed, their formation in shatter.

“May God help them.” Leontares and Andronikos watches in anguish as the Latin knights charge into the groups of men that are in disarray, cutting down fleeing men.

The men that have formed a good formation, however, manages to stall the advance of the main charge, holding the knights back with wall of spears.

Thus, the Latin charge is disintegrated into a stalling main group, and a smaller group whom are pursuing men from broken formations. Sensing a risk and opportunity, Leontares quickly decides to personally lead his cavalry out to intercept the smaller group, while leaving Andronikos with the main formation to fend off the main group of Latin knights.

“Archers, fire freely into the enemy!” “Men, hold your line!!” Andronikos rides directly behind the ranks and shouts words of encouragements to his men.

Months of drills and harsh discipline has shown its’ merit on the field of battle. Despite constant tries to disrupt the formations, the Latin knights have failed to gain ground, while suffering horrendously in the process. The unstoppable charge that the Latin knights were so known for and proud of, has been stopped by a group of trained commoners.

On the other hand, Leontares manages expertly to surround the disorganized groups of Latin knights with his superior numbers, and destroy each and one of them tacitly. The battle turns to the favor of the Romans.

It was in that moment, the cannons in Glarentza roar once more – this time directing at the Roman formations. Several barrages were fired on the fighting men, most hitting the ground nearby, missing its target, but one cannon ball hits the ground, bounces to hit a Roman soldier and gets strayed by his shield, to hit the horse beneath Andronikos.

The limps of the horse shatters by the impact, and Andronikos is thrown off, his body slams heavily on the ground.

The limps of the horse shatters by the impact, and Andronikos is thrown off, his body slams heavily on the ground.
Welp let's hope Andronikos is fine because he's getting dehorsed. Idk how bad it is but at least Andronikos isn't squashed by the horse which is dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.