Dark Antiquity. The True Story of 1066.

Well I thought I may as well post the first part on this TL here, just in case. You may have missed on the ASB section. Comments are welcome, but only on that part of the site.

Dark Antiquity. The True Story of 1066. Discussion

This is just part one, another three, maybe even four parts to come.
Hope you enjoy this.:)

The True Story of the Invasion of Britain

Introduction

There have been many books, over the centuries, covering the story of the invasion of the island of Britain in the year 1066.
Most have been non fiction, others, sometimes over romantic, telling as story from the point of view of one or two people. Or historical fiction if you wish

This is of the former.

I, along with my staff, have worked maliciously for many years on this history. We worked together to gather as many facts as possible for this new work that will contain only known facts, of this age old tail.
You should remember learning about 1066 and the years and that followed, at school. You may, like myself, have taken studies further along.
As we studied many facts that were previously thought false, or lost, and by cross checking many works we believe we have written the most comprehensive guide that can be read today.

My name does appear on the front cover as the author of this tome, but it would be amiss of myself, not the mention those others involved.

My thanks and respect to all that helped in this project.

The AH Department of English History, Cambridge
Elm Tree Collage, Cambridge
Saint Harold's Collage, London
Saint Ealdred University, Rome
Saint Oswald's Church, Jerusalem
Saint Malcolm's Cathedral, Sterling
Princes University, Anglesey

Lists of sources can be found in the appendix

Special thanks to all those who offered advice, where needed, and to you, dear reader who have brought this work.

Everything you read is fact.
This is not a story.
This is historical truth.

Dr. K J Smith
Cambridge
March 2015

Prologue

Kent

'As you can see, young Thomas, the star moves slowly across the sky. As it moved closer the brighter it had became and it is now less bright. Why do you think that is?'
'I'm am at a loss Brother, I have no answer, do you?'
'Would you think that is now moving away from us?'
'I would think that maybe so. I have seen it more bright than this. Now it is not. Like a man with a lantern, we he comes close it does get more light and away the darker the light. Your council is wise as always Brother. Is that what you really think?'
'Yes I do.'
'Do you know this to be right?'
'None of us know anything, it is just another part of the Lords plan.'
'I will ponder this more, if we all think and pray, there may come an answer.'
'That is wise. You get to the kitchens I believe it is more you have to learn there.'
'Yes Brother.'
Thomas left the old monk to his observation’s. A moving star? He had already started to think on it more, was it the same as the one as in the Bible?
Meanwhile it was to the kitchens. Peeling turnips and parsnips for the others, he had started to serve meals to the Abbot. A small step to become a brother himself? Maybe, he did not yet know.

The next night Thomas climbed to the roof to meet again with Brother Aldred. He noticed the look of puzzlement of the older monks face.
'What is it brother?'
'It's the stars, the moving star has gone.'
'Is that something that should be a worry?'
'No, not in a way I can bring to mind, it came slowly and was leaving slowly as well, now it has gone. Whether that is something the star does I know not.'
'Can I ask what has got you worried? You do not have you normal look.'
'It's the rest of the stars, they have moved.'
'The stars always move.' said Thomas
'Yes they do, but not the moon. It was a quarter moon last night,'
Thomas looked up. The moon was full. 'I have not seen that before, should it not follow...'
'I have not seen this before. The moon follows the same course each month, that has never changed. Since I was a boy, younger than you, it has always been the same. The same, always the same....'

Gaul

Aulus Plautius lay awake on his bed. He had gone over, and over within his own mind. The more complicated the plan the more that could, and most likely will go wrong. Crossing the sea to Britannia. He couldn't help it the legions were forming up, well for the most part, however he was still waiting for the IX Hispana. Another three weeks at least. Then the invasion. Twenty thousand men, plus the auxiliaries.
Enough?
He hoped so.

Part one

'Nothing from Verica as yet sir.'
'Really? I would have though he would be rather keen to keep in contact.' said Plautius 'Still, we have plenty of time. You may go now.'
The centurion turned leave, just before he did, 'It may be wise to send men to check along the coast. We don't what our allies being waylaid by some mishap, or worse some Gaul’s attacking them.'
'Yes Sir.' This time the man was allowed to leave.
A while latter as Aulus Plautius was sitting down to his midday meal he was disturbed by Titus Flavius Vespasianus, Legate of the II Augusta. Plautius thought he was a good commander and in fact he did like the man. A little too ambitious? Maybe. On the other hand it was skill that made you a good Legion commander and not political back stabbing. Political stabbing front and back was something he knew about.
'Vespasian, what brings you here? Something to eat?'
'Something to eat? Certainly. Firstly I think I should tell you.' He was interrupted.
'We can talk latter.' He glanced to a slave who, needed no words and brought extra plates to the table. 'I take it you like the local fish?'
After they had eaten Vespasian related the story he had been told. A ship had put in at Gesoriacum, when the men had started unloading their goods it was found that they did not speak any tongue know to those on the dock side, weather they be Gaul's or Roman. After much toing and throwing it was found out that they had come from somewhere called England. They had never heard of Verica let alone the Atrebates or the Catuvellauni. Most telling was that they did not know of the Empire.
'What did you make of this and isn't this something that someone else should be taking care of?' asked Plautius
'Normally it would be something I would not have been bothered about, there is, well the invasion to think about.'
'So you have now told me and if anything goes wrong it would be my fault? No need to answer that.' he said with a slight smile 'What do we know for sure? I do take it these men were no more than merchants.'
'Merchants is all we know as the truth.'
'Their goods?'
'Wool for the most part and very good wool, other odds and ends. They said they come to the docks four or five times a year to, and make their way to a place called Flanders. We think they mean a country called Flanders. Does that mean anything to you?'
Plautius shook his head 'And the crossing how long did they say it took?'
'We cannot know for sure, but we think it was just over one day.' answered Vespasian 'What does concern me is that how can a ship come into our seas and not know who we are. I can only imagine
they come from a long way away and we have misunderstood the length of time they say they have travelled. If there is a land to the farther to the west, and, we will do not know if it could be a danger to the invasion.
'And you said you haven't met these men yourself, the story comes to you though how many mouths? I think it best if you go and see talk to them the best you can. Also make sure these men are well cared for.'

Kent

'I still don't know what they are on about, how about if you run up to the monastery and see if anyone there speaks this language?'
'Yes father.'
Osgar, watched as his son ran off then turned his attention back to the strangers standing on the dockside. Apart from looking over their goods all he could do was wait. He pointed to a medium sized clay pot. One of the crew brought it over to him. He prized out the cork and smelt the liquid inside, he pointed and shrugged his shoulders. The crew member looked at him, a smile on his face and said 'genus in metus'. He went back to his boat, came back with a small cup and offered it up. Osgar took it and the man poured a small amount of the thick contents.
It wasn't unpleasant, however it was not to Osgars taste, with a shake of the head he returned the cup. The crewman was surprised, he knew the oil was the best they had, it was not for trade it was theirs.
A call came from his son, Winfred 'Father I have brought Brother Wymond.'
As they came closer he said 'Good lad. Brother Wymond, it is very good that you have been able to come down.' He then started to tell the tail of the strange ship and it's men.
Brother Wymond addressed the man, who was still standing with his pot. He seemed to understand a small part of what was being said. The man held up his hand and spoke to another stranger who then walked over. Brother Wymond asked the same questions this time his questions were answered.
The monk turned back to Winfred's father. 'Have you found out who they are Brother?' asked the boy.
'The Brother was not talking to you.'
'I wouldn't chastise the boy, an enquiring mind is a good thing to see. It is only though asking we learn.'
'Sorry Brother' they both said.
'There is not need to apologise, as I said it's how we all learn.'
'Have you managed to tell where these men are from?'
'Yes, young Winfred. The captain says he is from Rome, but his ship left from a place called Gaul.'
'Is that far away?' he asked.
'I am not sure, he pointed toward the Flanders land when asked. We know that is not far, and doesn't take long with a good wind. I have not heard of it. However I am not the most learned of our order. I will ask Brother Aldred, he spends more time looking at the world than, some say, is good for him.'
The monk turned and began his return to the monastery.

'Thomas what did you make of the strange men and their ship?'
'Father Abbot, the men seemed just like other merchants, of indeed any other men.'
'By which you mean?'
'Well,' Thomas stopped 'I do not know what to say.'
'Say want you will. If you have God in your heart He will guide you.'
'Well they have not heard of the Lord.'
'I hear the same, why do you think that is? Think before you answer.' said Abbot Oswin.
'No one has told them of the Word. Why is that?'
'When we we're but babies in the arms of our mothers, we did not know of God, until we were told, is that not correct.'
'You are the Abbot and know more than myself Father'
Abbot replied with a large smile on his face 'That is not always true Thomas. Yes I do study the Bible, and hope the learn much from it, more than at least one other of our order here'
'Do you mean..?'
'I do not point fingers Thomas, and neither should you. Back to my question. Why do you think these men have not heard of the Lord?'
'They have no knowledge of the Lord so they must be from a very long way a way, but did not the captain say he was from Rome.'
'Yes he did, did he not. You have to chose which Rome. The Rome where His Holiness resides or Constantinople, those there still call themselves Roman.'
'Surely Father Abbot, do they not both, know of the Lord?'
'Yes Thomas. That is the conundrum.'
'Could they come from another place called Rome?'
'Maybe so, I have not heard of another Rome, and therefore?'
'They must be from a very long way off.'
'That is my thinking as well. Get back to Bother Aldred and he maybe able to spread more light on the matter. After all he has many manuscripts, other than just the Bible.'
'Like the ones about the stars and herbs and the old gods.'
'Indeed he does. Just you get along, but do not forget you other duties.'
'Yes Father.'
With that Thomas took his leave and left the Abbot with his own thoughts.

Gaul

'That's it keep your shield high and thrust your weapon with your right hand.'
The Centurion was putting his men though their paces. Not much else to do, he and his men had been in the camp for nearly three weeks now. The men were doing very well, as they did have the advantage of a large number of veterans amongst them. He was of the opinion that each Contubernium should have at least four men who had seen combat. He was lucky there he could have as many as, at least, six of them in each. This did lead to some friction, with men saying they were better qualified for the provision of Decanus. He left that to his Optio to sort out.
A Decurion galloped passed by him, a little to close for comfort, he turned to shout at the man, it was too late, he was too far away to hear the choice words he was going to give him.
'What are you lot staring at? It will be a lot worse when we get to Britannia. Naked barbarian charging at you!'
'Well, we will know were to hit them.' shouted some legionnaire. He let that go. He may well have said the same thing years ago when he was one himself.

'And these are the men?' asked Vespasian.
'Yes sir.' answered the Optio, slightly nervously. He hadn't expected the commander of the II Augusta to speak to him. Just his bad luck the his centurion wasn't about.
'Tell me about them.'
'Well sir they seem to be just what they claim.'
'Merchants?'
'Yes sir. Do you wish to speak to them?'
'Of course I wish to speak to them.' the Legate almost shouted 'here take my horse.'
Vespasian dismounted and tucking his helmet under his arm walked over to the men seated by a shack next to the dockside.
One of the men stood up, the captain? Most likely he thought, and walked towards him. Vespasian studied him. A little tall for a Celt and clean shaven. His clothes looked like they were in good repair and well made. The man stuck out his hand, Vespasian took a moment to respond but did the same, the man took the hand a shook it. Then gave a slight bow, maybe, slightly too slight. He let that go, there was no way of telling how powerful this man could be in his home land. That was the rub, were was his homeland?
The Romans left the strange men mid afternoon and made camp in the early evening, as they numbered more than one hundred men the night pasted without a disturbance and they made it back to the rest of the army near midday.

'Did you make any progress Legate?'
'Yes, I think we did.'
'And?'
'The men and there ship are from Britannia. They call it England though.'
'That doesn’t make any sense.' said Plautius
'That is not the worse of it, I'm afraid.' said Vespasian hanging his head.
'Well?'
'We found out, the best we could could, that they are not Celt, but a tribe, as near as I can tell, called Saxons, or English. Also they call themselves Christian’s.'
'Christians?' Plautius took a breath 'I have heard of them, a small group of some kind of Jews I think.'
'I don't know, I try to keep out of the way of the Gods'
'A local problem in King Herod's part of the word. Pilate said something about them. I could be wrong about that however.'
'That could be the least of our worries.'
'Meaning?'
'They have just one king and one country.'
'A whole united country?'
'As far as I can make out it does look that way.'
Plautius was silent for over a minute. 'Get these Saxons, English or Christians, or what ever their called here I need to see them for myself' he stopped 'Give them a good price for their goods, treat them like the Emperor, but get them here.' he finished with a sigh.

Kent

The captain of the Roman ship, who called himself Marcus, sat to the right of the Father Abbot and to his right, was Brother Oswald. Both of the Holy Brothers were talking to each other in English while conversing with the captain in Latin. It was slow going, yes they could speak with the captain but each others Latin was slightly different.
'Thomas. Thomas!' the lad came running up to the table.
'Yes Father?'
'Bring some more mead to the captain.'
'Yes Father.' Thomas approached the table and started to pour the drink into the captains cup. As he did so he tried to learn a small part more about this Roman. He hadn't picked up as much as he had wished. What he had heard, was interesting. The captain was not Roman, but still said he was so. They managed to find out that he was from Spain, he called it Hispania, which was puzzling, maybe just a local way of saying it, something else to find out about. He was still young and he didn't know much more of life than the monastery and the small village where he came from. But as Brother Oswald told him “Always keep your eyes and ears open, you will learn much”. He would ask the Brother about the conversation later, if he could stay up the rest of the night that was. He was called again this time by the rest of the crew of the ship, they were seated on a table of their own with just Brother Edgard with them. 'Thomas a drink here, if you please.'
'Yes Brother, which drink would that be?'
'I don't believe it matters too much to these men here, so whatever you have to hand.' Thomas had a lot of time for Brother Edgard, he was by far the oldest man here. Some said he was over ninety, had said he, himself had said he was just five years old in his mind, and still needed to learn more of the word of God. To Thomas that was daunting. If you couldn't learn about God in all those years what hope had he.

The next morning Thomas was just about awake and drawing water from the well just by north wall. 'Thomas. Thomas!'
He looked round and saw Brother Oswald waving to him. 'I am sorry Brother I cannot speak to you now I have to draw water for the kitchen.'
'As soon as you have finished, could you to come and see me.'
'Yes Brother, where will you be?'
'In the hall with the Father.'
'With the Abbot?'
'Yes Thomas, with the Abbot.'

The morning after, Thomas was asked by the Abbot 'Are you still willing to go with Bother Oswald?'
'I have never been as far as Canterbury, but with Bother Oswald, I know I will be in no danger. He and the Lord will guide me.'
'You are be coming wise before your years Thomas.' said Oswald. Thomas blushed. 'You have faith Thomas, but just think, is your faith growing because of the Lords will, or just because you do not want to be embarrassed and therefore you put on a show for us? I think it could be a little of both, what do you think think Father Abbot?'
'That may well be true Bother, I know I said things because I did not what to be seen as a fool. I to was once a boy of eleven years like Thomas.' he changed the subject. 'Have you everything you need?
'I believe so Father.'

Thomas and Oswald had not gone more than 200 yards before Thomas turned and started to run back.
'Thomas, where do you think you are going?'
'I forgot to fetch the manuscripts Bother Aldred gave to me.'
'No you haven't forgotten them, you passed them to me, There is no need to get too excited, I checked everything before we left.' said Oswald.
They walked for the next few miles without speaking. Suddenly Thomas spoke up. 'Have you met the Archbishop before Bother?'
'I do not really think you need to call me Bother here we are alone. Have I met Archbishop Stigand, just the once however.
'What was he like?'
'Just a man like myself, and like you will be when the time comes.'
'But his is the Archbishop. Is he more in touch with the Lord?'
'I do not know, but I would not think so. He became Archbishop because of his skill within the church. Whether God gave him that skill, I know not.'
'He has had trouble with the Holy Father in Rome.'
'Everyone has had trouble with the Holy Father.' Oswald laughed 'If the Holy Father thinks they are getting too powerful and therefore could challenge him.'
'Even you?'
'No. No, I doubt the Holy Father even knows who I am. Or where our monastery is placed in the world I think we are both safe from him.'
'What about the King?' asked Thomas
'The doings of Popes, Kings and Bishops are not in my thinking.' Oswald stopped
'You mean you hope the doings of them do not involve us?'
Thomas received a light cuff around the ear for that remark.

Gaul

'So how many men should we send then? A cohort?
'I don't know. It is too small a number and too large at the same time. A cohort will mean the same number of auxiliaries, the best part of a 1000 men. As I said too many and too few. After all Vespasian, you will be leading them. But I would suggest a 100. Maybe less.'
'So a Century and some cavalry?'
'It's up to you.' said Plautius a little too forcefully than he meant. 'I'm sorry I didn't mean to snap at you. The pressure, never have I been under so much. For a number of years now I have been in the Senate, not knowing from one day to the next you is your friend, enemy or even those who will stab you in the back.' He laughed 'I take that back. The pressure here is nothing.'
Vespasian was about to say something, when one of the guards came to them.
'Sir' he said to Plautius, the looked at the other Legatus 'Sirs. The men from the ship are here.'
'Thank you. Please see them in.'

'I don't like it.'said the Optio 'Not one bit.'
'You don't like what?'
'It's the edge of the world. The Gods have no power in that land.'
'I wouldn't say things like that about the Gods. They can hear us, you know.'
'I don't care what the Gods can hear. If they heard me, I'd still be back home and on my fathers farm.'
'Yes. Your fathers farm, you have mentioned that before you know. How many times a day?'
'Well it's true and you know it. You'd be making a nice living and getting as many girls, may they be free or slaves, as you wanted in the family way. Well the girl ones, at any rate. What's the name of that young legionnaire? I know you have your eye on him.'
'I am the centurion, I can do pretty much as I like. I do not have my eye on him in that way, as you well know! And it is lucky we are both from' he didn't finish.
'Nepos! Centurion Nepos!'
'Sod it, what does he want?' asked his friend and optio, Gaius
'Nepos.' The Primus Pilus came up to the them both, they stood.
'Sir?'
'This is you lucky day.'
'I don't think I like the sound of that.'
'You shouldn't. Get your century together your going on a little trip.'

When Nepos and Gaius returned to their tents they were in a mixed mood. Which meant Nepos was happy to have to be picked by the Legatus, and Gaius wasn't. Gaius would follow his friend and Centurion where ever he went, but he didn't have to like it. 'Tell me again.'
'Tell you what again?'
'This plan, after all you were with the Legatus and I wasn't.'
'Fine, get the men together I may as well tell them at the same time. Sort them out some of the better wine. Not the best, mind, we'll have to keep some for ourselves.' he said with a grin.
A little while later 'Come on gather round and listen to the boss.'
Nepos rolled his eyes he'd told Gaius about using that word. He was Centurion, not boss. He stood 'Right I want fifty volunteers.' He waited. 'Don't all rush at once. 50 volunteers that's all.' Almost as one they all stepped forward. He already had a good idea of those you he would take, a couple of good cooks were near the top of his list. 'This Century has been picked by the Legatus himself. We are to accompany him to Britannia. Word has been lost with Verica and the rest of the Atresbates. He wants to know why and will be his guard. We do not expect any trouble with any of the tribes we will encounter, but as you know it is always better to scout out the land before committing to any battle. Calvary will be with us and of the course the Gods. Any questions?'
A few of hands went up, a couple from ones he knew he wasn't going to take. 'Yes Antonius?'
'How many of us will be going. All together I mean? It's not going to be the whole army is it sir?'
Nepos had a lot of time for the young legionary, he was keen and had a sharp mind, a few years down the line he would make a fine Optio. 'No the whole army will not be going with us, as I said just 50 of us and what ever the Legatus feels is right, so it's going to about 100 in all.'
Another question came from Florus 'What's the chances of spoils? Slaves and the like?'
Florus was a man that was not going to be going. This was something that Nepos did not want to be asked. 'As far as spoils go, there we be few if any. If we have to fight there maybe a chance,' a few moans from the men 'However there will be extra pay, in silver and salt.'
Got them, he thought. Spoils were all well and good, sometimes there wasn't any to be had and that was that. Extra money was now going be there no matter what. It should keep them happy enough. By the early evening Nepos had whittled the list down to the 50 he needed. He would still ask for a medius and a few more of immunes, one for engineering, plus a couple of good hunters. He had a good engineer in the century, but Rufus was getting old and he didn't want get him killed when his pension was so very near.

Canterbury

Thomas had had one of the greatest days of his life. Even though Brother Oswald had said it was not as big as London, Canterbury was the new centre of his life. Each movement of his eyes revealed a new wonder. Women and girls! Girls, yes he knew some, the same ones he had grown up with, he knew them too well to even consider them anything more than a sister or mother. These were real unknown girls!
Brother Oswald had seen Thomas' look, he had been there before, he joined the Church because of love.
The love for another.
The Lord had taken her from him. He didn't know weather to curse Him or not. He did hate God at that point of his life. Was it that hate that brought him to the Church, it may well have been, just a pawn on Gods board of chess. He longed to know why the Lord had taken her, he had come to the conclusion that Gods love of her was greater than his own. The Lord had taken her to his breast and the Lord had taken his heart, his head and his soul because of it.

They had spent the night with the Brothers of the Cathedral and on this morning had a meeting with the Dean. The Dean a man of high learning, also a man protective of his Archbishop, too much so? Neither Oswald nor Thomas knew. Yes they would take the council of the Dean, and gratefully accept it. However it was the words of Stigand they were most interested in. Oswald had read the writing that Dean Godric had given them. A very small part of the letter’s of Bede and the words of the Great Chronicle, he understood them, but not there meaning. The Archbishop was sure to, if not him others within the high reaches of the Church. He did hope a journey to Diocese of St Edmundsbury would not be in their future. He turned to see the Dean walking towards him.
'The Archbishop will see you now Brother' he said
'May I bring this lad with me?' pointing at Thomas.
'I see no reason not to, he may learn something. If would follow me?'
Their meeting with Stigand was at hand.

Gaul

Nepos and Gaius looked over the men who they were facing. Nepos thought he had made the right decision with those he was willing to take. A good mix of veterans and the young and keen. Young and keen, I was one of those once, well young anyway, he remembered. Nothing else for it, they just had to wait for the Legatus. It was lucky for them it didn't take very long.
'Gods, here he comes.'
'What was that Gaius?'
'Here he comes.'
Gods was right. The Legatus out at front on a horse that would put the Emperors to shame. Then a vexillarius with the Legion standard.
Further back were some cornicen and sagittarii. Flanking them a Decurion and some 30 cavalry.
'How many of them do you think there are Nepos.'
'Gaius, I have told you before, it's Sir when we are in front of the men, more so now, that we have Vespasian with us. As to your question, maybe, what 100? Maybe more.'
'I should think so, his not taking all of them is he? Didn't you say there wouldn't be much more than 100 or so for us, all in?
'He did, with the extra men we've got that will take it up to well over 200.'
Nepos had been successful in his request for a medicus and hunters. His number had gone up by twenty.
There was just the one command from the column. 'Fall in.' It took just 30 minutes to reach the sea and their ships. The original plan was to follow the ship crewed by the men from the strange land. However it was thought it maybe not be the best idea. The Romans still were not sure where they were from. Would they take them to Britannia or to another land. Still they were being well treated at the camp, and seemed happy enough. Could their lives in the camp be better than the life they had left behind?

'Ready for the sea and it monsters Gaius?'
'No, not at all. As I said, they worry me, but not so much as the Gods leaving us alone in that land.' Even though he couldn't see it Gaius still pointed towards Britannia.
It took an age to get the horses onto the ships, it was increasingly obvious to Nepos and to all the men that were going to leave the shores of Gaul. The horses already skittish, by the fact they were on the ships, they broke. Their riders calmed them down as much as they could. It was no good, however, all the horses were unloaded. They would have to try again the next morning. Back to camp, unload the tents, the rest of their equipment before they had to do the same thing again the next day.
Three days later they finally made it to Britannia. Even then it took the best part of the afternoon to find a suitable place to disembark. Landing in the twilight was not the best idea. They had no clue were they were.
Not the best start.

Canterbury

Another meeting with the Archbishop was in progress. 'Yes Brother what you have said is strange. The men who say they are Roman, but not from Rome, or even the Romans in the east. They say they have never heard of the Lord. In Constantinople they know of the Lord.'
'Your Grace, if I may?'
'Yes Dean?'
'If I may, this captain says he is from Spain, could he not be an Islamic? The Moors still control a lot of the country do they not? Aragon and Castile are still at war with them.'
'I believe you are correct, however they would have heard of the Lord. I have had council from those who are Christians in that part of the world, so I would not think..'
'Brother do you think these men simpletons?'
'I do not Your Grace.' said Brother Oswald
'How so?' asked Stigand
'They did sail a ship, of some size, with skill to be able to reach our fair land. The captain does speak Latin, after a fashion. He is well mannered. As for the crew would anybody hire a simpleton to man a ship?'
'Quite so Brother.'
'Again, if I may?' the Dean looked toward Stigand.
'Of course Goderic.'
'Brother did you notice a change with the moon? Or the weather?'
'Yes we did, Dean.'
'The weather it warmer than normal for this time of year.' piped up Thomas.
'Keep it down Thomas. You were only allowed here if you kept your council to yourself.'
'Sorry Brother.'
'Brother please let the lad speak.' said Stigand
'I am sorry Your Grace.'
'No need to say sorry, out of the mouths of babies. Carry on, Thomas is it not?'
'Yes Your Grace.'
'Speak you piece then Thomas.'
Thomas was nervous now, he carried on. 'I noticed the day before the the moving star went from the heavens and the moon changed, the buds on trees were very small, some had no buds on them. The day after some were in full bloom and others had their blossom almost gone.'
'It is as we feared. It was not just here, but to the wast as well.' said the Dean
Stigand spoke ' Dean Goderic is right in what he has said. You are not the first with this news. Yesterday and the day before other monks have come here and told us the same, They came to us from the north and the west, not too far away, still from other places other than here. We will have a meeting later today. Now we will have to pray to God for the answers we need.'

Gaul

The morning came sunny and warm, cavalry had been sent out, with strict orders to return if they saw anyone at all. No contact should be made, until the surrounding area had been scouted.
Their small encampment had been finished before the rise of the moon, the previous night. However it would have to be moved. What water there was, was not near and brackish, another one of the reasons scouting was being carried out.
Nepos has been given the task of looking for sites, the first of which was a lot better than the their first, the second was almost ideal for their purpose. So plans where made and the night camp was disabled. It was quite a task getting the equipment to the new site, as it was going to on a small hill on two sides lay low dunes, the third had a small stream running a long it and the forth full of large brambles. By the evening the camp was finished, to a very high standard which impressed Vespasian.

It was mid afternoon when the first of the scouts reported in, they had seen a few small settlements, and as ordered kept their distance. On the other hand when the last patrol came in it was clear they were not where they thought they were. Nepos and Gaius were both in the tent of the Legatus was not in the best of moods.
He rounded on the the lead ships captain. 'So where are we then?' Vespasian shouted, he was almost purple with rage. 'By all the Gods if you don't give me a straight answer I will' he stopped. He knew it wasn't the captains fault, he had been on one the ships himself. He knew how long the trip to Britannia would normally take and it didn't take that much longer, yesterday.
'Sir?' both Nepos and Vespasian turned to see a legionnaire at the entrance of the tent.
'What is it!' Vespasian shouted.
'Sir, Decurion Livius is riding coming into camp.'
'Get him here before he does anything else.'
'Sir!'
A few moment later a very shaken Livius came to attention in front of the Legatus.
'Well, Decurion? What has got you all het up?'
'I'm not sure how to tell you sir, I'm not clear in my own mind, as to what I saw.'
'Sit down and catch your breath. Wine for the Decurion!'
Livius sat in silence for more than a minute, his wine forgotten until he spilt it in his lap. They could all see things weren't right with the man.
'It is true sir, the Gods do do reign here, the Gods have abandoned us.' The words were almost a whisper.
'Come on man, you are a soldier in the army of Rome. The Gods don't abandon us. Mars himself is with us no matter were we go. So tell us what has happened.'
'Can't sir, I just can't.'
The other men had all seen action, they knew it could be, no it was, bad. Friends dying beside you, wounded yourself, whole armies could be lost in a single morning. Men driven out of there mind by the slaughter. But they had see nothing like the way Livius was reacting. It was worse than madness. It was like the man had had his soul drained, like it had been sucked out of him.
'Get another member of the patrol in here. Now!' Nepos was looking at Gaius when he barked the orders. Not a moment later an Alae was standing in front of the Legatus. 'Right, what have you got to say?'
'Valentinus sir.' He too was clearly shaken not as much as his commander, still bad enough though. He was an older man, most likely to have seen more than his fair share of the Empire and fighting.
'Report Alae Valentinus.
'Sir, I have seen many things in this world, wonders and dirt both. When I found out I was coming here I though it was going to like any frontier or at least the people would be the same. They are not. Their fields are well cared for, as well as their livestock.' He stopped 'There are sir.. Sir there are buildings, stone buildings, very large, very high. This country is not like Germania. They carry themselves like those in Gaul, the good parts, you understand, almost like those in the heart of the Empire. Also they look taller than any other tribe..
'How tall?' asked Nepos, and then wished he hadn't.
Valentinus did know who to answer, the Centurion or the Legatus. He carried on. 'They could be an enemy to be feared.'
'You didn't speak to anyone, or had contact with anyone here?'
'No sir.'
'So how do you have this knowledge of what you see?'
'I have severed in the army, for many years. Please trust me when I say, I know what me eyes tell me. This is no ordinary land. The Gods are not with us. We must be fools, all of us to have come here.'
'Do you include the Emperor with this “us”.'
'The Emperor is not here, so I can't know about that sir.'
'Nepos?' Nepos was no longer amazed the the Legatus knew his name, on the other hand he was second in command in this land.
'Sir.'
'Increase the camp defences, I want it.. I don't know what I want, just get on with it.'
'Yes sir.'

Canterbury

'Did your time in the cathedral give you more confidence in the Lord, Thomas?' asked Oswald
'I do not know, sometimes I think no matter how much time we prey to God, He will give what He wishes in His own time. That is what I now believe' said Thomas.
'I would keep those thoughts in your mind if I was you, the Archbishop may not like what you have just said.'
'Oswald did you not say we only have answers if we ask questions?'
Oswald was at a loss. Was Thomas indeed more wise than his years? He hoped, both, that he was and was not. Could he do great things for the Church or could he make the Church come crashing down? In his heart he hoped the former. It was in Gods hands, just like everything on earth, who was he to go against His words. He was nothing other than just a humble monk.

Stigand had called for a meeting. It lasted some hours, it was already hear dark when it concluded. In all there were some twenty men there and they all said the same thing the moon had changed, the moving star had disappeared and the weather was warm for the time of year. Two men told the other that it was now mid May or even early June, they said this because of the way the heavens looked. Many agreed with them. It was just Oswald and Thomas who had any other news. They were the only ones who had met men from across the sea. More talk began about the nature of these men, where had they indeed had come from, why they were here and what did they want.
The next morning word came from further afield. All those reported the same thing, the different moon and the change in the weather. One group, however ever had brought some men with them. These men, who all, spoke Latin, were a ships crew, and this time said there were indeed from Rome. They were merchants looking to trade for tin and lead. They had brought samples of their own goods, wine mostly but the one item that stood out, were glass cups.
This paled in to insignificance compared with the news that their ruler was a man called, Claudius. He was the Emperor of the Roman Empire.

Things went from bad to worse in the following days for those in Canterbury. Many people came to the Archbishop for guidance. Some as far three of four days travel. Most just wanted reassurance , or comfort. Some feared that the apocalypse was due, and very soon. Still others wanted questions answered. Reassurance could be given, even if it was just to say it was in the hands of the Lord and He will do as He wished and He was with them and so they had nothing to fear.
There were more pressing matters, these had Stigand much more worried. Yes he had news from ten leagues away, what was the situation in the rest of the country? It was decided to send envoys to York, London, Winchester and St Edmundsbury. It was importance of this was two fold, word had to be sent to the Archbishop of York, Ealdred, and to King Harold. The latter maybe the more difficult, as they did not know were he was. Then came the word that was more important than all others.

Soldiers. Unknown soldiers, had been found just one days away.

What to do?

A call to arms by the local Fyrd or approach them with words? Words were always better than swords, in his view. A mix of the two would be best under the circumstance. He and other Brothers would talk to them along with Loefwine Godwinson, the Earl of Kent, the Kings brother, if he could be found, that was. Canterbury had no standing men, if they had it was still a matter of how many to send to see these men.
These men?
The reports said there were about 200 of them.
Were there others? If so where? That was something else they did not know.
In the mean time the men that had come ashore not far from the monastery that brother Oswald had travelled from had been sent for and were now with their fellows. Both crews had said the same story.
They were Roman. Real Romans. From the Roman Empire.
Or so they said. At this point there was no reason to disbelieve them. They did not know each other, that was clear. The one thing in the mind of Stigand, were they under the orders of William the Bastard. He knew he coveted England.
A plot by the Bastard? Likely?
Would he be able to reach, and pay, men from Constantinople to be players in his game? If so they could play to any court in Europe with their tails. Or, are these men really from the Empire in the east. He was going have to contact to the Pope, that was going to be a hard job, a very hard job. He himself had only just recovered from excommunication.
He dropped to his knees 'Lord, please help and guide me. Help me reason with these Romans and the solders from were ever they are from.' he prayed.
He rose, still looking at the crucifix on the alter crossed himself, turned and left the chapel. Suddenly another thought crossed his mind.
These Romans must be from Constantinople, since the split between the Churches could they have been sent by the Emperor there. What was his name, it came to him, Constantine. Was he seeking allies against the Pope? It was no secret that he and the Holy Farther were not getting on, an understatement if there ever was one.
'Your Grace?'
He looked around a saw the Dean running up, he waited until the man caught his breath.
'Your Grace, bad news.'
'Which is?'
'The solders have attacked a village a little ways from their camp.'
'The unknown ones Dean?'
'Yes your Grace.'
Stigand's mind was made up. They were from the Bastard. Either his own men or hired by him. The sailors here would have to made to answer, not just asked. More questions than answers, again, I am getting too old for these machinations. He returned to the chapel.

Kent

'So what happened?' yelled Nepos 'tell me now man!'
'Well sir, they.' Nepos slapped him, hard. The man fell over, before he picked himself up Nepos kicked the man in the stomach and ribs.
Gaius got the man to his feet, not a slap this time, a punch. He went down again. 'Get rid of him Gaius and bring in Antonius.
'Sit down lad.' said Gaius, he did so. 'tell us from the beginning.'
'We went along with Livius, as you told us to do, as you know it's only a few leagues away. One of his men was spotted and decided to give chase. She was a young girl.'
'How old?' asked Nepos
'Maybe twelve, I should think, she could have been older, not by much. Anyway he caught her put her over his horse and then he was away followed by some others.'
'How many for this Century?'
'Not many, it could be six, I do not know if any were there to give chase to girl or to save her.'
'What happened next, lad?'
'They were on us, we only defended ourselves.'
'What did Livius do?' that was the Legatus, who had joined them. They none of them knew how long he had been there. Antonius was more scared than he had ever been in his life, even more than when he was facing the barbarians in Germany. He pissed himself and sank to his knees.'
'Pick him up.' said Vespasian. He then glanced at Nepos, 'How well do you know this man.'
'Well enough sir. If you mean do I trust him, then, yes I do.' Nepos looked Antonius on the eyes, just tell the truth. Again what did Livius do?'
'He was not with us, he was with some other man from his command, round the other side of the village He did try to stop the fighting, I don't know were he his now.'
'Think back, who started the fight?' that was Nepos.
'A man under the orders of Livius, he just went wild, full of lust and away he went,'
'How many in the village survived, lad?'
'None. We killed them all.'
Vespasian looked the young man in the eye. 'You had no choice, is that right? You only fought because one man took it upon himself to do something stupid.'
'Yes sir, I think so.'
'You just fought when those attacked you?'
'Yes sir.'
'How many did we lose?' Vespasian looked at Nepos.
'Twenty in all sir, maybe more, at least as far as I can make out.'
'Gods! One in ten of us.' He looked again at the young man 'Who outside tried to rape the girl?'
'I don't know, but I can tell you who was there with me, they didn't start anything.'
By the end of the day, six Romans were hanging by their necks.
'We still don't know where we are, where the Verica or the Atrebates are, let alone the Catuvellauni!'

May the Gods smite me or so help me I will smite them.' he then whispered, when praying before his household Gods. He then retired to his cot, dreading what the next day would bring, if he was lucky he hoped to be alive.
He was awoken the next day by shouts of 'Riders, to the north.' He got dressed as quickly as he could, left the tent and saw what his guards had seen.

Kent

'We have to tread carefully, we still do not know where these men are from.'
'Very true your Grace. Do you wish for me to ride down and ask?'
'It would be an idea, we have not yet the men to fight them and win.' In all there were some 100 men with them, mostly armed. Others had been called, it would be sometime before they would arrive. 'Yes Dean, go and talk to them. Our prisoners, or as they again, guests, swear they know nothing about solders here and I am beginning to believe them.' He stopped. 'Bring that lad Thomas up and ask him if he can see better than my old eyes.'
The Dean did not answer, he was already on his way to find the boy. Moments later Thomas was by the side of Stigand.
'You wanted me your Grace?' said Thomas
'Indeed. You have young eyes, tell me what you see.'
Thomas thought for a while. 'I am sorry your Grace I do not know you you are asking of me.'
'Lad, I am an old man my eyes are not young, tell be what you see.'
'There are many men, your Grace.'
'I can see that much myself, tell me more. What are they doing, do they look like us or men of Normandy?'
'They do not look like us, but I do not know what a man of Normandy looks like.'
Stigand was about to tell the boy off when it occurred to him that the lad would have had no thoughts about solders, let alone one any man from across the sea. 'Carry on lad'
'I should think there are over 150 of them they do not look like any men I have ever seen. No. They look a little like those back in Canterbury, the men from the other ship, their clothes are a bit alike. They wear a short skirts like the girls here do. Very short.' Thomas looked harder than his though possible. 'These have some kind armour on.' a slight stop again 'There are some coming out the the camp ten I think.'
'Thank you Thomas.' The Archbishop rose in his saddle, 'Yes I can see those men now. Dean, walk down and meet them take this lad and that Brother Oswald with you, his Latin is good.' He looked at Thomas. 'What is that banner they have flying?'
'Again, I am sorry, your Grace, it is something I have never seen before and there is one holding a pole, it has a bird on it.'
'Not a cross?' asked the Dean
'No it is a bird your Grace.'
Stigand then said 'Dean? Take some of the fyrd with you, the biggest ones you can find, they are still some 300 yards away, quickly man.'
The group of strange solders had stopped about 100 yards from the Dean, Brother Oswald, Thomas and ten fyrd who had moved off to meet them. Both groups moved closer.
'I am Titus Flavius Sabinus Vesasianus. Legatus of the Legio IInd Augusta and Senator of Rome.' he said.
By what all that is holy, please Lord, do not let this be true, thought the Dean. The man continued 'Who are you and were is Verica, King of the Atrebates?'
Brother Oswald stepped forward, he took his time, so he could make his answer correctly. 'There are no Atrebates or any King of the name Verica in this land. This land is England and it's one and only and true King is Harold Godwinson.' Oswald went straight to the question that was uppermost in the hearts of the Brothers and fyrd. 'Why did you kill all those in the village yonder?' he pointed.
'The villagers attacked my men they only defended themselves. They were not there under my orders, some men have more love for pillage and booty than the orders of their commander. As you can see I have hung those whose who were at fault.' Those on the English party looked as the Roman pointed 'For that I am sorry and will pay recompense to those who deserve it.'
'Those women and children did no deserve to be given to Christ by the likes of you!' shouted Oswald. He took a breath, then turned and in a softer tone said 'What do you think Dean?' he asked in English
'I do not know what to think, but this man is he from Rome? Ask him, who is his King.'
Oswald asked the question then turned to the Dean 'He says there is no King of Rome and has not been for 100's of years. They have a Emperor called Claudius.'
The Dean spoke up, even though his Latin was not as good as Brother Oswald's, he being more used to Mass and the Bible. 'You say you are from Rome?' A nod from Vespasian 'This Rome is not in Constantinople and under the Emperor Constantine, or not is it under they Emperor Henry who lives in Germany?'
Vespasian was at a loss 'I have never heard of a place called Constantinople or an Emperor Constantine. There is a place called Germania, but it has no emperor that I know of.'

'Nepos, my tent now!'
A heart beat later he was there. 'Sir!'
'You are going to go with those men.'
'Sir?'
'Don't you sir me! I just had the worse thirty minute’s of my life and that does include being in the senate. They say this place is called England. What I did make out that is part of an island is Britain and they say it was once, many years ago, called Britannia. Which means one of two things, either these people are stupid and don't know what there on about, which I doubt. Or we have landed in the wrong place, which is another thing that I doubt.'
'Sir, if I may?'
'Yes, If you have to, you may.' said the Legatus
'Who were the men that talked to you sir?'
'What do you mean by that Nepos?'
'Were they tribe chief’s, holy men or just some land owners and their men?'
'There was a chief of sorts, a head holy man, he didn't come down to talk. He left it to his second and one other man. They did the talking, their Latin was good for barbarians. Way I am I talking to you? You'll learn enough about them when you leave. Now go and get your things together. And take that Optio Gaius with you'
The Legatus stood for a while then strode to his household Gods picked them and cast them into the fire outside. 'You will not play games with me any more!' The man had a look of horror on their faces. 'There are no Gods here! We are men of the IInd Augusta, we need no Gods!'

Stigand had asked the Dean of the contents of the meeting. He did not like the answers 'God is testing us, we must be strong.'
'Yes your Grace.'
'You do not have to agree with me all the time. You do know that, it was your willingness to talk your mind was one of the reasons I picked you to be Dean. Tell me your own thoughts.'
'The man in charge seems to be a man of honour, he did hang those you disobeyed him. As for his request for hostages in exchange for the men we will take is reasonable.'
'Have you come to a decision on who will be going.'
'I have your Grace, Brother Oswald and the lad Thomas. Brother Oswald because he knows his Latin better than most, and the lad can fetch and carry for him.
The next morning Oswald and Thomas passed Nepos and Gaius as they each walked into uncertainty.

Canterbury

They both stood in front of the cathedral, not quite believing their eyes.
'This is no barbarian village' said Gaius
'You're bloody right there. I haven't seen anything this size since, well not since I left Italy.' replied Nepos
'And I haven't seen a doom that size anywhere. What holds it up?'
Looking around to the two men the Dean asked 'Do you wish to see inside?' he jested for them to them to do so, they followed. The paintings inside were like nothing they had ever seen. They were very different.
Nepos had never thought he and Gaius would have been treated like guests. Prisoners was his most likely thought. Not this way, these holy men had said it was their duty to care for those in their care.
Than anything they had seen before. The figures looked, well they didn't look like anything the two Romans had seen before. The colours where so alive. Symbols of the sun surrounding almost each of those depicted, real gold they both thought. Again no barbarian village. He supposed they were in there care, on the other hand they had not got on the wrong side of them. If they were like some priests in temples thing could get nasty, if they thought you had done something against the Gods.
Gaius spoke up. 'Is dean your name, or a title you have?'
The Dean took his time 'I am the Dean of the cathedral, and I am addressed as such. I do have a name which is Goderic. I rarely answer to that name now, so please call me Dean. It so much more easy.
'Which Gods to you prey to here? I know that many places have the same Gods as we do they just call them different names. We have Jupiter, the Greeks call him Zeus, I think.' said Nepos
The Dean looked shocked. He knew these 'Romans' were different. He explained, with great reverence, that he and all the peoples of Britain had but one God.
'He must be a very busy God! You can borrow some of ours if you want. We have plenty to go around.' mentioned Gaius. This caused the Dean to laugh and cough at the same time. After he had recovered it was a simple 'No thank you'
It was well into the night when Nepos and Gaius retired to the cells they been given. They reflected on their day. It was, they both agreed it was a very different place than that had been lead to think. This wasn't a place of savages or great barbarianism. What they had seen so far, this country could be a fordable enemy. Their had talk over the evening meal has ranged over many subjects. They had tried to steer the conversion to military matters. They had got somewhere, with the type of army this England could muster. Though the monks couldn't say all they needed to know they had found out some history. They had been invaded many times over last 200 years but always had prevailed in the end. Where it by strength of arms or by, which they found disconcerting, converting their foes to their own religion. Other things made them think as well, the fact there were two more countries on the island, they too had there own kings and each had an army of there own, also that these countries were also Christian. Facing one army was bad enough, three however was not the best news of the day.
Far worse was the news that many years before Romans had come to Britannia and conquered the land where they now sat. They asked if was Caesar saying it was some 100 before. The answer was not what they were expecting. The Roman army had come a 1000 years before and left some 400 years later. Which was nearly 700 years ago. Bewilderment was what they both felt.

Oswald was beginning to think that Thomas was on his way to great things. The boy wasn't even a novice. He was little more than a baby when the Brothers had taken him in. His mother had died in childbirth and his father, a fisherman, at sea. Where did the time go? Elven years they had taken care of him. He was a good lad always willing to learn. On the other hand some things had learnt was not the teachings of the Church. Brother Wymond, was he the best influence on Thomas, he did not know. Was having a balanced mind as good as a balanced soul. He was still young. In his soul he was still young, in his mind..'
'Brother Oswald.' He looked up, the Legatus was walking over to him.
'Brother Oswald a moment please.' said Vespasian
'Of course. If I can help in anyway I would be more than willing.'
Vespasian took his time before his next words 'Tell me of this God you worship.'
Oswald was speechless, the man in front of him, a pagan in all his ways, was asking him, of all men, to teach the Word. 'What do wish to know? I am puzzled by your question, do you not have your own Gods?'
'I had my own Gods, they have deserted me, they are not in this land.'
'I will have to ask one question before I can tell you anything. Do you wish to know about the Lord because you wish him to be in your heart or are you asking because you just want to know more about me and this country?'
'The latter for my mind, the former for my soul.'
'Very well, you have been more than honest in your answer. Do consider this please, I am not the most learned of my brethren, there are many more who know more than I ever will. Also I do not have a Bible with me. I could may well be wrong about some of the details, of all the teachings.'
'That does not matter, please tell me what you know. All I feel is my Gods are no longer with, or against me. As I said they are no longer here.' Vespasian put his hand to his chest.
'Are there any more here that feel the same?'
'I don't know. There have been some mutterings from some, at least it has been reported to me.'
'Do you wish me to talk to them as well? I will, only, if they wish to hear. You can not change a soul if the soul does not wish to change. I will tell you as much as I can. Firstly you must understand that there is only one God, we have but one and he is three.'
The Roman sat and did listen for much of the afternoon. Oswald tried his best to inform the man of his knowledge. Thomas joined them later bringing food to them both. He sat if for no other reason than to hear the Latin spoken by both men. He spoke up a few times, but was silent for most of the afternoon.
Vespasian asked only a few questions, the most disconcerting was. 'This man Jesus Christ, the same man who was in Judea where Herod Agrippa now reigns? He is called King of the Jews not this Lord of yours, so it is said. Is that not right?'
Oswald almost fainted. Things were not right.

Canterbury

Gaius held the unfamiliar sword firmly in his right hand and thrust at the man opposite. The man blocked with his shield, whilst at same time bringing down his axe, it tore the sword from the hand of the Roman. They broke for a rest, this drill had been going on for nearly an hour. Gaius looked across to Nepos. Things for Nepos were not going as well as he'd have thought either. The trouble they where both having were the swords they had been given. They were not the type they were used to, too long and meant, mostly, for slashing. On the other hand the swords where light and easy in the hand, balance was the key to any weapon. Nepos at first dismissed the tip, yes it was not as pointed as his gladius, but which every way you looked at it would go though their own mail with ease.
The shield while a different shape was more than comfortable, rounded at the top curving to a point at the bottom. It was made very much in the same way as their own. A number of thin plains of wood glued and covered with linen. The weight was very much the same as their own. In fact it was lighter. Both the Romans and the fyrd had examined the armour of the other. The English mail was better, and that was without doubt. The fyrd very much liked the helmets the Romans used. The neck guard was impressed them greatly.
After the midday meal it was back to sparing with the men from the local fyrd, this time with axes. Nepos was doing better the his Optio, but only slightly better however. The more losses each man had was beginning to frustrate them. Later in the warm afternoon sun, it was the Romans time to put the fyrd on to the back foot, Nepos had asked and was granted, his wish to have both his and Gaius' arms and armour brought from the camp. The fyrd men were now facing Roman army equipped men. If they had to fight each other, their would be no telling which side could win. The fyrd and the Romans both had, now, respect for each others skill.

Stigand watched the men from his cell.
Fighting.
He was not in favour, nor ever had been in favour of blood letting, if it was in the name of the Lord, it was a different matter. From what he had gathered these men did not deny the word of God, they had just not heard it. From what he had found out they had a head god, the lesser ones, were, again what he could make out, were like the saints of his own world. Each having a roll to play in the version of the heaven these men had chosen. These Romans. He shook his head, he then looked down and saw for the first time one of them best one of the fyrd. It was his duty to teach the Word to all, no matter when they be from.
He let out along breath and returned to his desk. The letters he was writing were becoming a pain. Did his brother Archbishop in York have the same problem? What does he know, the same as himself? More? Less? Then there was the matter of trying to reach the King. Did the King know of these men camped on his shore? There where not many of them, they where here without regard, these were an armed force in the Kings land. The last thing he wanted was a bloody, or more than likely a very bloody battle here. He feared for the souls of all.
He stood and walked out of his stone walled room, he needed more time to think, to what would he put in his next letter to Ealdred. He needed to word it correctly the message may take a week for it to be received, he must make it as clear as possible. Twoing and throwing, that was not going to solve much, if anything. Maybe they should meet, the both of them.
Stigand had not always seen eye to eye with his Grace the Archbishop of York. But this needed all the lands wise heads together, whether they liked each other or not. Belief in the Lord was more important than personal feelings. He suddenly decided it had to be the King, Ealdred and himself, we are the only ones to bring this matter to rest. Something else passed across his mind, The change in the moon. Had it been seen by those in the Kingdom of Alba? Were his Brothers in that far away place having the same difficulties?

As he walked a long the transept of the cathedral he was called by a young novice. 'Your Grace a message from Brother Oswald.' the novice handed it to him. Stigand read it, his eyebrows rose as he did.
A trip. A short one to be sure, but unexpected, never the less. 'These Romans.' he said to no one but himself. Are they bluffing? If so why?

Kent

Oswald asked Thomas a simple question. It was not that simple for Thomas to answer. 'What do you now make of these Romans?'
Thomas, as his wont, took his time over replying. 'These men have great power. If not here, their tails of empire, if they are true, why did they not kill us and take what ever they wished.'
Another good observation from the lad, thought the Brother. Why indeed?
After all they did kill those in the near by village, a mistake they said and with the hanging of the ring leaders.... That thought hang in the air. Was it just because they were too few to make more trouble, or was it just a real mistake as Vespasian had said, again he had hung those who were at fault. Or was it because they did not know the land and therefore held back? This was far away from the knowledge of a simple monk. Is that why I repeat myself?

The next morning a legionnaire approached Oswald. He hesitated not quite knowing how to address the man in front of him, then decided on Brother 'Brother there are some men here they are asking for you.'
'Do you know who these men are?'
'No Brother, they just asked for you. A few are dressed like you, could it be you might know them?'
Oswald's message was being answered quicker than had hoped. He took his time as he walked towards the group and was very glad to see that Archbishop Stigand had indeed come himself. After a few moments they were both seated within the tent of Vespasian. 'So you're the man with more knowledge than Brother Oswald?'
'It has been said that I have knowledge. Not as much as some, maybe more than others, again it is said also. Only God knows the truth.'
'You are better than the Brother, in this knowledge.'
'As I have said, I do know more than some.'
'Can you tell me more of the God you worship, the Brother has told me much.'
'First.' said Stigand 'Do you not wish to know of your men, whom you sent into our care?'
Vespasian had quite forgotten about them, his first concern was for his men here, at the camp. He bluffed his way. 'I would have thought you would have said if they were hurt or unwell when you first spoke.'
'I would have' countered Stigand 'They are both well although not as happy as if they were with their fellow men.'
'Why is this?'
'I came here not only to answer the call from Brother Oswald. I came here to ask questions too.'
'If I can help I will. Ask what you will.'
'I have been talking with your men Nepos and Gaius.' Vespasian nodded Stigand carried on. 'Nepos and Gaius, both have no answer. They do not know of the Romans who were here many years ago. There are still many walls built by Romans of the past, brick forts also. Are your men simple? Are you simple? How long have you been in the employ of the Bastard. Do not lie. Earl Leofwine will be here before the day is done. If you do not answer to me, you will answer to him. We all know that the Bastard will have the crown if he can.'
A silence which lasted a good while. Who was this Stigand who insulted him within his own tent?
The Legatus did not how to respond to this, however he did try 'I have no idea what you are on about, we came from Gaul under the orders of Aulus Plautius. We are still looking for the tribe of the Atrebates. Even if we found the Catuvellauni we would have known where we were. We have found ourselves in this place you call England. Not Britannia as we had hoped. Even when we got here you said that the moon here had changed.' Vespasian shook his head. 'Our Gods, my Gods have left us, I am trying to find more from your God, he will, I am so told, have the truth and he will wish to tell us what he will. So Brother Oswald has told me, He is all powerful, not my own Gods. I have said they have no power here. How can I prove to you that I'm telling the truth? The Emperor Claudius sent us here.'
Vespasian was now almost fearing for his life. These men, at the table would be easy to dispatch the rest they brought with them as well. If this Earl Leofwine did come with many armed men, yes they could kill many, but they would die this night. He was now near to sweating, this was the most dangerous moment of his life. He repeated 'What can I do to make you believe me?'
Oswald, you had kept his peace during the whole meeting now stood. 'Are you willing to take an oath, an oath that will take your mortal soul if it is not kept? Are you willing to take Christ in to your life, your heart and your very soul?'
A long moment later, 'With what you have told me, I think I may. I do need more time to know it is the right thing. I do know, with what Oswald has told me, He is more powerful than any more than of my old Gods . What do you wish me to do? What can I do to prove what I have said is the truth, and the truth of my men here?'
'Are you willing to have the Lord in your heart, to be baptised, and swear on the relics we hold holy, if you are willing to this this for your soul, we will have no reason but to know what you are saying is the truth.'
The Legatus was now in a very difficult place, he weighed up the opportunities, death in this world or damnation in the next. His old Gods or the new God he had been presented with. He had no choice but to take the offer given to him.

Vespasian had taken his oath, in his soul he knew it was the right thing to do. The love that Brother Oswald had given him in his new God, was genuine. He just knew it, it was right for him, a new beginning. A chance of a new life, if anything else he could keep his life. He knew this was right for him, his soul and his very being.
'Do you know this is right in your heart?' asked Stigand
'What choice do I have? You have told me that I will be struck down if I had lied. I have not lied to you at any point. You and your solders could have destroyed my small command at any point within the last fortnight. This it why I have talked to you and not tried to fight. Even if I had chosen to fight we would have sent many of your men to God.'
A legionnaire, ran into the tent, shocked in to silence at the sight of the Legatus on his knees in front of the monks. Vespasian gathered himself. 'Well, what is it man!' he shouted, mostly because of his embarrassment 'Speak up!'
'A large company of men, less then a league away sir.'

York

Being the Archbishop of York, did have it's advantages. Yes, Ealdred could have some of the very best wine, food and luxuries to be had, saying that it did come at a price.
Work.
Work he saw as his duty. The synod he had held a few years earlier made his, and many others life more easy, no more clergy making things up as they went a long, thinking there was nobody watching their moves to enrich themselves. The reforms he had brought about were now making life better for all. If he could have a little better wine than others, from time to time? Then his thoughts went back to only a few weeks previous. The Moon, the stars, the weather and most of all the strange men who had come up the river.
He picked up the letter that had been sent by his Holy Brother in Canterbury. Stigand had the same problems. Yet he still read it again. He had already sent a letter of his own back. He then started to review the latest reports of the building work he had put in to action.
'Your Grace?'
Ealdred looked up and saw, oh, what was his name. He was one for the new young men who had heard the calling of the Lord.
'Yes my son?'
'Another latter from his Grace, the Archbishop Stigand.' The young man passed it over.
'Is there anything else? Other news?'
'Not that I know of you Grace?'
'Very well, you my go my son.'

Ealdred had read the parchment three times, then read it again. How could this be true? The 200 men that had landed far to the south were indeed Romans. He had been told by His Grace he thought they maybe Romans in the last message, he had received. This one said more, they were indeed Romans, from their old empire of over 1000 years ago. Have could this have happened? Had the Lord replaced one set of invaders with another. The Bastard had gone, or so he hoped. He knew nothing about an Emperor Claudius. He started to think, was there a copy of the Chronicle somewhere in the Minster, there must be. That may have some answers.
He sent for it.

Canterbury

Gaius was beginning to think that some parts of this, they called it a city, was worse than Argentoratum. The privy's were just a hole on the ground, You sat one a board and crapped, that was that. The water, from the cathedral well, was at least was clean. Today it was good to have his nose clear of the smell, he had been allowed to walk in the county side, almost at will. He was always accompanied by at least one of the fyrd and a Brother. He didn't know if they didn't trust him or if it was for his protection. Either way they had not stopped him going anywhere he had wished. This time was first time he was almost alone, Nepos had stayed at the cathedral to help understand the reason why they had had found themselves in this place called England.
He had been right, worse luck, there were no Gods here, at least they hadn't been eaten by sea monsters during the crossing. There had been news from the camp the Legatus had converted. He now worshipped the God of this land. He didn't know if this was.., well he didn't know what he thought. What goes on in the mind of a Legatus, or a senator? He didn't know and Vespasian was both!

Nepos was trying, the best he could to help the Brothers with a book they called The Great Chronicle. It listed the deeds of the land of England. He knew enough about his own land and the invasion of Britannia to know about Caesar and his army to give some guidance. His knowledge did go back to the tactics of Scipio. Whether that would do any good for these English men, or his own men here, was an unknown. In any case he was to have a meeting with Earl Leofwine later in the week so he had been told. Something crossed his mind, was Earl Leofwine using him to understand the tactics of his army, or was it just interest in general.

Kent

Stigand and Leofwine were talking with the newly baptised Vespasian, at the Romans camp.
'So tell me, Legatus, why did you bring the Lord into your life?' asked the Earl. 'Just to save your own skin, or that you really think that your old Gods left you?'
It took Vespasian some time to answer, 'I think it could be both. If a man does not fear death, then that man is no man. We all give our lives into the hands of God, or as my men, still hold on to the Gods of their birth. I did it also for the sake of my men, a commander who cares nothing for his men should not be given a command.'
Leofwine turned to Stigand 'Your own thoughts your Grace?'
'I believe this man, this Christian man has had his soul changed, that can only be down to the Lord Himself. He has repented his old ways, of that I am are sure.'
Satisfied the Earl said 'Let us now turn to other things.' He told Vespasian 'your army across the sea, how many men are there. I mean in all, I have seen the normal men of foot and the riders you have here, what about bowmen?'
'The number by now there should be, including the auxilia, 40,000.'
The Earl looked at Stigand and asked his Grace to question the make up of these auxilia. This process of talking to the Roman was taking more time than he had hoped. Of course the Earl had some Latin, no where near as well as the Holy Brothers in speech. He used it for writing to those who did not speak English. Also with the fact that many churchmen had little grasp of the matters of an army made a difficult job harder. 40,000 was a big number, mitigated some, by the fact not all were front line troops, these vitruvius, or engineers, as he could make out, sounded interesting as did the medicus. 40,000, yes the country could fight them. Fight them and win, yes, with time to form up the army. Northumbria, not only a long way away, could those there be counted on, since his brother, Tostig, had been exiled. Were those there still be wanting him back, he doubted it, but would they come? The King of Alba had attacked them in recent years, just the normal general raiding, however.
King Malcolm?
Had Malcolm met Romans as well? If so what had he done about them? Killed them out of hand as non Christians, or had he managed talk to them as they had done? Either way it could be to the advantage of England.
A weak Alba would be no threat to Northumbria, A strong Alba would be an ally against these Romans if things did not turned to war.
The next day word at last, came from the King.

Winchester

Harold Godwinson had not been a happy king. Reports had come in from all over his land all of which said the same thing. The difference in the turning of the moon, was the most talked about subject. He'd seen it himself, all the Church had said was it was the will of God and that was that. However when news had come from Canterbury shed a more and different light on the matter. An invasion by Romans, was the first news to come, as the days and weeks went by it became clear this was an exaggeration. 200 hundred men was hardly an invasion, even if they had burned a village. Of course his first thoughts were the same as those in Kent, the Bastard had come. He knew that he would try his luck at some point. A landing in Kent? Not where he would have, supplies would take too long to reach the army if he was in command. For now he had to go back and address the council he had summoned.

Harold looked around at the assembled faces. His gaze focused upon the Roman Vespasian. He could tell from one look he was man of standing, used to power, how to use it and more importantly how to hold it. A man of his word? Yes, he thought.
'Vespasian?'
The Roman stepped forward 'Yes my Lord?' Vespasian was a man to observe protocol.
'How long do you think that the rest of your command will wait before they come looking for you? You have been here for what, near a month?'
'As I said earlier, I would have thought they would have been in contact by now. They may have landed somewhere else, as to where I don't know.'
The King was about to ask another question when they were interrupted by a man carrying a number of books. 'I am sorry to disturb the council, my Lord, but you did ask me if I could find a copy the works of the Saint Bede. As you can see I do have them here.' said the man who was clearly out of breath, brought them nearer to the King.
'Thank you Alderman. I think it more wise that you present the books to his Grace the Archbishop.'
'As you wish my Lord.' He passed them over to Stigand who nearly dropped them. They had a weight to them. 'Do you wish me to bring the other volumes and work of others to his Grace now, my Lord?'
Harold did, of course know of the works, however this was the first time he had seen them in the flesh 'That can wait until later we still have more to discuss.'
The Alderman bowed and left the hall.

Vespasian had thought things had gone very well. Firstly he was still alive, and to meet a king who was well versed and intelligent was a surprise. He was now looking down at the city of Winchester, it was the size of a large Roman town in Italy, not what he would call a city, however it was the seat of the government of England. The more he looked the more he saw. The place was a mess, there was so much he could do here. A bargain, could be made here to the advantage of both Rome and the English. As he had seen during his trip to the capital, England was a rich land, the Empire would have more to gain in trade than in war with this nation. He knew it was rich in lead, tin and grain, looking more closely at what the country had had to offer, wool was in great supply. If he himself could have control of the wool imports to the Empire, it would make him more than just rich.
A shout. He turned to look in the direction of the voice, it was the Alderman. 'The King commands you attend him at once.'
He followed the man down the hill, his guards accompanying him. They were his own guards, men of his command. Not those of the King, not housecarls or even men from the local fyrd. His own men, small in number, to be sure, but was it a sign that he was beginning to be trusted.

'...and they have sacked a number of villages and have started to spread over the countryside, at a distance of over ten league's. They must be stopped!' Harold stopped talking. 'Now get out.' He was angry. 'Not you Roman! You will stay here!'
Vespasian approached the King, giving a bow before him. 'Yes, my Lord?'
'What have you got to say for yourself, was this some trick of yours all along? Did you think you could trick us?' Harold held up his hand 'I am sorry, I did not mean to shout. I believe that you have been telling the truth. Or at least the truth as you knew it.'
Vespasian was now stuck between an Emperor and a King, not mention his soul between earth and heaven. He had to talk quickly. 'Can you tell me where these men are now?' he had forgotten end with my Lord. Harold let it go
'Guard, guard.' shout the King. Within seconds three men burst though the door way swords at the ready, that stopped running when they saw their Lord was in no danger.
'My Lord?' asked one.
'Find the messenger who brought the news of other Romans and bring him here. Send also for Loefwine and His Grace the Archbishop.'
'Yes my Lord' the man said and departed quickly.

Essex

It had taken just under five days to march the many leagues from Winchester to the Essex coast, even Vespasian who went with them from the city were impressed at the speed, four days of travel after the call went out to the local a neighbouring fyrd.
The growing English army now numbered nearly 2,000. They would wait until more men joined them before meeting up with his own men and then press on towards the enemy.

Kent

'We have now had word so, strike up the camp we march within the hour.' commanded Gaius. The men started to move with haste. 'What's up Optio?' asked one of the buccina, 'do we form up in rank?'
'How the hell should I know, all I do know is that I have to get you lazy arses out of bed and out of the camp before which ever Gods you think look after you strike you down! Clear!'
The buccinas stumbled over his yes sir and then over his feet. Gaius swallowed the urge to laugh, he failed.
The number of men at, and in around the camp was near 500, and was going to grow, Nepos was sure. The fyrd, while few of them were full time solders, had impressed him. They saw it their duty to protect their land of England, more so their lords and even more so than that their own homes. They would be at the beck and call of the King for at least, as far as he could tell, the next 40 days.
Nepos called his men to march at first light, from what he had heard the day before was that more of his country men had landed, instead of scouting out the land they had decided to attack what ever they had seen. They broke at midday for some cold meat and bread. Bread is that what they called it, could have fooled him. It was not bad as such, just not to his taste. Dipped in water, or oil, is was passable, at least the meat they had was fresh. Riders had been sent ahead, both Roman and English, he didn't know how the fyrd used their horses, in fact he didn't care. His knowledge of horses was limited, and he wanted to keep it that way. Cows he was fine with, since his days as a young drover.

Essex

Nepos met up will his Legatus, and a man who was introduced as the King of the English.
'So Centurion you have been nearer these new Romans what have you been find out?' asked the Earl of Kent.
'They are not of our Legion I know that much, sir.'
'Who are they then Centurion Nepos?' asked Vespasian
'Men from the IXth Hispana, as far as I know sir.'

This could be good news as far as Vespasian was concerned, better than good news if his brother Sabinus was in command, he'd be able to stop them. On the other hand if it was Geta things could, no, not could, would be more difficult.
He hadn't even thought to ask their numbers. It may be that neither were with these men. 'How many men? I hope it isn't the whole legion.'
'As far as numbers it is not a whole legion with their auxilia, I haven't seen them myself. However our own cavalry have and I will not dismiss their estimates.'
'How many men would that be?' asked Harold. 'That is if it is a whole legion?'
Vespasian answered 'At least 6000, most likely nearer 8000. As I said I will only know when we make contact.'
'Will we have to fight them? We will have more than 5000, with us at days end. I do not think that would be enough to defeat them, if there are that many, but fight them I will if I must. However I wish to delay a fight if I can. I will not waste men if there are five times their number over the sea.'

'Thank the Gods' he stopped 'Thank you Lord' said Vespasian under his breath. Was his new God smiling on him, he hoped so. At least He seemed to be this morning. Contact had been made with the other Legion, it was the IXth Hispana. It had been a chance encounter, a patrol of his own and run into one of the IXth sent out by their commander.
'Do you know who I am lad?' he inquired of the decurion who stood in front of him.
'I don't, however by your uniform and standard you are from the IInd Augusta'.
'Well, you're not a stupid as you look.' Vespasian then told the decurion of all his titles and his rank in the army and senate. Suitably impressed the man took the Legates on his word, just by looking around he knew it must be right. He was just unsure that these were the men he was searching for. He continued to be questioned, the first and most important was why were they here. 'You were reported lost sir, and as no word had come from you or any of the tribes of this island.'
'But why did it take so many men to come and find word. Come to that how many men are here?'
'As to how many men, the best part of a Legion and the normal number of auxilia.'
Vespasian turned to Stigand 'I was very wrong with the number here not around 6000 of my countrymen. Less than 2,000 but more than 1,000,' Stigand relayed the numbers to the King.
Harold thought for a while, and then said. 'We have more than three times their number, at the moment and could beat them in a battle. No, we will not fight them if I do not have to, I still wish to talk rather then have the blood of my men on my hands. We had the fear of William, he would not have listened to anybody. Now I see a different enemy, whose number is more great than our own and the men of William combined. We have to talk, but there is one thing which we have not gone into any great detail. What do your countrymen want from my land?' The question was directed at the Vespasian.
'The same as any other country wants, wealth, and power and to keep both. In my time this land had the wealth of grain, tin, lead, silver and gold. Not only those goods we wanted we had to support our allies here.' he went on the explain the situation with the the client kingdoms, yet again. 'We had to invade to capture and protect what your country had. I am not sure now that it would be in the interest of Roman to fight a country much more powerful than it once was. There will be much blood shed on both sides, neither Rome or England can afford such waste.' He looked at the King, to gauge his reaction to the more important parts of his explanation, yes they had gone over this ground before, this was the first time had Vespasian gone in to so much detail.
'Which course do wish to take my Lord?' said Stigand
'I am not yet sure. Talking is more easy than fighting. Cheaper too.' he added with a smile and looked back at the Roman expectantly.
'Do you wish me to talk to them again? They would have to take my words as truth I and my men can march now.' said Vespasian.
The King only nodded.

Nepos was in two minds as to the plan, there had been talk of mutiny before they had left. Had the IXth done this by themselves was there a war in Gaul? If so who was guarding the border. The Germanic tribes, what about them? He put those thoughts away. The challenge was now with the IXth and what they could do. It was another hour before he saw one of their forward camps.

'Is it just the Earl who has gone with the Romans?' looking up to Oswald.
'As far as I know.' said the Brother
'Why is that?'
'Thomas that is a good thing that you ask. However it is sometimes wise to keep your own council. You may get in to trouble by asking too many questions. You do make a good observation. Why do you think it just the Earl. Take your time before you reply.'
Thomas' mind looked for a response. 'Do these other Romans know of the Romans we know?'
'Go on.'
'Could it be that too many of our fighting men went there could be fight before they could talk?'
'That is very good Thomas. Do you think that all fighting is bad?'
'I do not know. Fighting for the Lord, is that a bad thing?'
'Maybe, on the other hand, why spill blood of those who will come to love God in their own time?'
'That is again, something I do not know why. The Lord loves everyone in the earth does he not? Is it our place to question what the Lord wishes?'
More coaching from Oswald 'And?'
'If it is the Lords plan will all those who die will come to him? Or is it in the minds of those who do the blood letting, only think that they will?'
'More Thomas, if you can?'
'Are those who fight do not know of the Lords wishes and only kill because they are unlike them?'
Yet again Oswald was amazed by the mind of this young man.

Gaius, like his friend, and most of the other men was, to say the least, not looking forward to the meeting. They had marched the few leagues to the camp of the IXth. With all pomp, that less than 200 men could muster. The IXth must know they were on the same side. Unless.. Unless they didn't know where they were. He knew that they didn't know, for sure where they were when they first landed on this strange land. Had the IXth found out what he and his comrades now knew? This is no place they has been told about, it was still not civilized. He had seen so much in the last weeks to change is mind about these English. Something else he could not make sense of. They had been told that they were from a different age, an age that worship one God. A powerful God, full of vengeance and, also, full of love. How could one God be the same as the many Gods he worshipped, he could not comprehend. Was this God so powerful as to put all other Gods to shame. He knew of the conversion of the Legatus, would a talk with one of the Brothers be good for him?
Before he got to this land he did doubt the power of his Gods here. They had come despite the monsters at the edge of the world, now only to be placed to a land that they were not told about, a much more powerful land then Rome had fought before. He knew he had no choice but to die if he had to fight. He hoped that talk when be more fruitful.

Earl Loefwine rode beside the Roman, at the head of the column. He felt safe with these men. It did not mean he was not apprehensive. The men were so unlike him. His brother said he should go, the king told him to go. Brother. He thanked the Lord, Tostig was not king, where would he be?
Exiled?
Dead?
He knew not. He did not want to dwell on what might have been. He had been given a task, the most important task he had ever had to do. He had read the Chronicle, he knew these Romans had ruled his country for 400 years and now they were back.
Back?
Or was England back? Whatever had happened it was Gods will.
As they got closer to the camp of the other Romans he could see then forming up, a battle stance. He knew some thing about the tactics of his Romans.
His Romans?
That was strange, did he really think of them as friends, they where allies, for now, friends? He looked again at what Vespasian said where the IXth. The tactics if it was like anything like the Roman beside him had said it was a normal response to any large company that came in sight. Again he hoped Vespasian knew what he was doing.

As Nepos marched he could now see the camp put up by the IXth. The typical version, smaller than one made by a legion, but what he expected. The Romans facing him had already formed up their skirmish line and with the hastati moving up behind them. What were they thinking? Can't they see his standard?
Vespasian rained in his horse, seeing better the force that confronted him. It was not the most welcoming sight. He gave the signal to halt, which Nepos reinforced.
'Nepos.' the Legatus called. Nepos marched towards his general.
'Sir?'
'What do you think?' Nepos was surprised at the question. After a moment he wasn't, he was second in command after all, who else would the Legatus turn to? 'They look ready for a fight, don't they sir.'
'Yes they do. Your thoughts?'
'Remain here and wait to see what they do, maybe their commander is not with them and they don't know what to do apart from their training?'
Nepos mind was working, quickly. There must have been a mutiny, were these men part of it or fleeing from it? He wouldn't want to wager all his pay, or any of it, on the answer.
Finally a man come though the ranks and walked to towards them, flanked my a guard of a dozen or so other men. Vespasian and Leofwine rode to meet them.
'You are Titus Flavius Vespasianus. You are called enemy of Rome, by Gnaeus Hosidius' He the man stopped himself suddenly You are called enemy of Rome by Aulus Plautius, you and the men under you are under arrest.'
'Under what charge, I am loyal to the Emperor, the Empire and Rome.'
'The charge is conspiring against Rome, by allying with barbarians.'

From what Gaius could see and hear, he didn't like this turn of events. He looked around, he couldn't see one other man who didn't feel the same way. There was no way they could fight a cohort they would die in this place of no Gods.
Vespasian asked one question to the Pilus Prior in front on him. 'Will you give me time to consult with my men before anyone makes an unwise move?'
'As your rank is high, and your word, til now, worthy I think it the least I could do for you.' He almost added sir, but didn't.
'Until tomorrow morning, is that acceptable to you?' The Pilus Prior had no choice but to agree, whatever the the charges he was still a member of the Senate, and therefore deserved respect.

Loefwine was able to understand part of the conversation and he knew things were not right. He mentally knew what he had to do. Protect this land, his brothers land. Where was Gyrth? These other Romans were not to be trusted. He had been willing to accept the attack on one of his villages, was a mistake by the Romans who where here first, the Roman leader had hung those in the wrong. This was not what these others had done. They were after a kill and the devil take the hindmost.
The Earl rode ahead of the retreating column, Harold had to be told, in private, of the his account of what had happened here. Yes, the Romans would say the same, but would they know the imprecations of what had gone on with these others?

'What can we do? Yes, it would be a fight, even a hard fight and those of the IXth will lose. I am afraid that with 40,000 more across the sea we will not be able to hold that number. We will need help from the North and even the King of Alba.' Said the Earl of Kent, Gyrth had made it to the makeshift camp just after the Romans had left. His brother the King sat deep in thought, his head racing. Facing the Bastard was one thing, he could have put 10,000 men ashore, not four times the number.'Legatus Vespasian you know the tactics of your countrymen, what would you do if you were their commander?'
'I would hold the camp, and if I could the land round it. I would not venture out to give pitched battle.' he said. 'That said it is what I would do if I had command of the IXth. As I'm not I would lay siege to their camp, cut them off from any supplies and if I could fire their ships.'
'You still wish to talk to them again, do you know?' said Loefwine looking the Legatus in the eye.
'I do. I don't wish to spill the blood of my countrymen.'
This time King asked another question 'It is getting close for to an answer to your countrymen. They did not trust you before, will they trust now?'
'If I'm late with an answer I will just say I have had no consent from my men, as what to do.'
'You would lie to men who you what trust from.' said Stigand.
'It would not be a lie. I have yet to ask my men.' said a smiling Vespasian.
The meeting carried on for sometime. It was decided that Vespasian would try to talk to the IXth again. In the meantime plans would be drawn up for both attack and defence the as yet unfriendly Romans.

Canterbury

Oswald had had to wait until the council had broken up before he could talk to the Archbishop. 'Your Grace? A moment of you time if you will permit.' he bowed slightly as he spoke.
'Yes my son, if I can help I will. What news, if any, do you have?'
'As you are aware I have been helping Thomas with his reading..' The Archbishop raised his eyebrows 'Thomas? Yes, yes the young man who you have brought from your monastery, is he well?'
'Quite well your Grace.'
'Has he a problem I can help with?'
'I think he can help with the problems we have.'
'Is that so. Bring him to me after vespers, I will here it from his own mouth.'
'Yes your Grace.'

A formal meeting with the head of the Church in England, was something Thomas had never thought he would be involved in. He was now sitting at the head table and to his left was his Grace and Brother Oswald to his right. In front of the was a volume of the Chronicle. Thomas read aloud slowly, his finger tracing each word when he was finished,
'Yes I can most differently see that. You are wise Thomas.' said Stigand 'It is a puzzle, how are your numbers Thomas?'
'I am told they are good, your Grace. If I may, why do you ask?'
'The book here, says that these Romans came in the year 46. How many years away was that?'
Thomas was quick with his answer '920 years your Grace.' Stigand looked across at Oswald and smiled.
'You do have a mind for numbers Thomas, however take you time before you reply. Said Oswald 'Think more slowly and you will be correct next time.'
'1020 years Brother.' embarrassed he added 'Your Grace.'
'This is something we have to put our minds to. We also have to ask the Romans what year they consider it to be.'

'It is the second year of the reign of the Emperor Claudius. And 796 years after the founding of Rome. That is if I have my numbers right.' said Gaius when questioned.
'Who was your Emperor before this Claudius? Out book reads that it was a man, named the same as you. One called Gaius.'
'Yes, Yes he was once called Gaius, others knew him as Caligula. Then he thought he was a God and then called himself Zeus. That was a stupid thing to say. Everyone knows Gods are not of this world, Gods live in heaven and are not of the earth.' he carried on 'It is said the he did eat his own son, from the womb of his sister. Again so it is said.'
Gasps from the Dean and the Brothers who had assembled to question the Optio, Thomas looked like he was going to sick. This didn't seem to make much impression on Gaius he carried on. 'He even had an army brought from all parts of the Empire to the land of Gaul, to invade Britannia. All he had the army do was to bombard the sea so he could make war on Neptune. I was there, the man was mad. And that gives those who are mad a bad name.' he grinned
'What did happen to him.' said the Dean
'He was killed by the German Guard and then Claudius took his place. Claudius is a much better emperor. He will be a good Emperor, he has already got me more pay.'

Essex

Again Nepos was not looking forward to the march towards the camp of the IXth. More so this time there were only a dozen men with him himself and Vespasian. He really did hope he would survive the day.
'Have you made your peace with your household Gods, Nepos?' said Vespasian
'I think it's better to make peace with the IXth sir.' his Legatus nodded.
'You are very right Nepos.' the subject changed 'Your thoughts on the army of the English?'
'I would not wish to face them they are better trained than any tribes I have faced. Maybe because they do not have to fight each other makes them better, they also have a system of training. Their heavy infantry are well equipped and very loyal. The lighter troops are quick in attack, more like the German tribes. On the other hand, they train and know when and where to fight and not just rush forwards with no thought of how to retreat if they have to. If I may ask sir, what do you think of the Earls plans?'
'His plans do have merit, he has been mostly concerned with defence, the walls of Canterbury are strong, He says we built them, of our children's children will. They do have some resemblance to the ones we do build. He says they are hundreds of years old, another thing I do understand. If he can get all the population he wishes to house behind them is worthy, I do not think he can do it without much more food to feed them. His other plans of holding our forces also has merit, his use of rivers is good. We do the same, he knows the best places to hold off any enemy without spreading his troops too thin. They do lack trained cavalry and he has too few archers.'

The small troop had now in sight the camp of the IXth. 'Into the mouth of the monster Centurion?

'I can't tell my men to lay down their arms, until I have been put under trail. If I am found guilty, which I am not, I alone will take punishment.' Vespasian stated.
The Princeps Pilus asked one question more. 'Are you willing to be placed under arrest here and now?'
'No, I am not. I will surrender myself to Aulus Plautius. To to him alone or The Emperor, of course. I will, now, return to my men and will take no part in any fighting, unless my men are attacked. I will now leave and you will not stop me.' His tone was very even, he wasn't going to be stopped.
Nepos had never been so nervous in his life, he's almost wet himself as he stood with his Legatus. He respected the man as a solder, that respect he had now had gone up. He could now see why the man was in the Senate.
They walked away, without turning their heads, a little while later 'Sir?'
'Yes Nepos?'
'How do you think the men we react to the news that we will not fight? After all we have been making plans and there has been some training given.'
'There is a simple answer to that. As you stood by my side I did tell the IXth we would not fight unless we were attacked, I will stick to my word on that point. I did no tell them about anything else as they didn't ask.'
'Sir?'
'Go on, you can speak freely you are my second in command. It's your duty to, sometimes, question my orders. Let's hear you conservation.'
'We do not know the state of our legion in Gaul. Are they with us or have they fought the IXth or the rest of the army?'
'I was going to ask you the same question and then tell you to send your Optio and one other to Gaul and find out.'
'Yes sir.'
The next time the two sets of Romans met it was agreed that only Aulus Plautius could make any judgement, if either the English army or indeed the IXth made a move against the other large scale bloodshed would result and the detachment of the IXth would lose most, if not all for it's men. Trade was better than war and Britannia had what Rome wanted after all. A truce was called and was stuck to. To many a man's amazement.

Canterbury

The monks had been busy. They had poured over the Chronicle and also had found a copy of the writings of St Bede. Again it had been Thomas who had found a passage that was important. He showed it to Brother Oswald, the look on the face of Oswald, told the story better than words. 'Come with me now this is something that the Archbishop must see.' as an afterthought, 'the Romans as well.'
'What about the King and Earl do they need to see it as well?' said Thomas
'They will. I think it wise to show this to the Archbishop and Dean first, Then they can tell the King, I do not want to get things wrong. I want to be sure that we are all right.'

'Come in and sit down Gaius.' It was a relief to the Roman. Whilst he was used to the heat of Italy, the late summer in this land was doing him no favours. A sticky heat. The stone wall room was cool. He was offered a drink which he took with relish, and then spat it out. 'What in the name of Hades is this?' he asked.
'You have never had cider before? It's made from apples from our own orchard. Do you not like it?'
'I have had many a cup of bad wine, this is not as bad as most of them, it took me surprise that is all.' He took another sip, I could get used to this he thought. Although he knew he was in no danger, meeting with any kind of high ups was not his most favourite thing. 'How can I help?'
'You can read, can you not?' said the Dean
'My reading is not up to the standard of some, as my duties to include many things so I do have more skill than many.'
'Could you read this for us?'
Gaius did as he was bid and spoke aloud the passage pointed out to him. 'How did this become to be written? The date that is written is almost correct. The year is not 799, but 796 after the founding of Rome. That is if I have my numbers right. It would be better to ask the Legatus or Nepos they know more than I.'
It was as they thought, the Lord had placed them many years in the past. Why He had done this, they knew not. 'Thank you Gaius. More cider?' Gaius nodded 'Can we talk more, about life in the Empire?' another nod.
A very pissed Gaius left the room, with help. The next day he was summoned to another meeting, this time with the King and his brother as well as other Lords and the community of the cathedral of Canterbury. He felt he should keep away from the yellow drink, even if nearly all those present did not, but who was he to say no. By this time, many others had read the passage.
It was true. The other Romans, you had been brought to the meeting believed the same, England had come from another time, no one could explain the reason. A reason there had to be.
Stigand asked many things of the Romans, the most important was, had their land had had the same thing happen to them at any time or in their legends. None of them, including Gaius himself had an answer.

Essex

'There is nothing to be gained by talk of matters of heaven and God.' said Harold then added looking at Gaius who had accompanied him Northwards 'or Gods.'
He carried on 'Now to matters of this date, which ever date that my be.' he laughed 'How best to fight, if need be, those over the sea. I am impressed with the plans that my brother has brought me. With help of out Roman friends we now know of the style in which they fight. They are not too different than our own. Vespasian my friend you have said in your time, with us, that there have been many wars fought between your people with those from, as we knew them from the Holy Empire. Also the wars fought amongst yourselves. You have said that these wars were very bloody as both sides used the same weapons and the same well trained men. What do you thing of my army? Are will a match, of more than that? Please tell me your real mind on these matters. Do not flower any talk, I need the truth.'
'My Lord' the Legatus said, still giving a small bow as a token of respect 'Your weapons, and armour, are well made. Better made than much of our own. The discipline of the houscarls and higher ranked fyrd is very good.' Vespasian spoke for a number for a hour on the strengths and weaknesses of both the English and Roman armies. It was time, Harold said to let minds cool and the body to be fed.
By the evening many things had been expanded on, there was still the matter of why God had moved England over 1000 years and making them face an enemy more powerful than the Bastard.

Canterbury

Thomas had been given a dinner in his honour by the Brothers due to his skill in finding passages from both the Chronicle and the books of St Bede and other books that had been delivered nearly daily. He sat in almost a place of honour next to the Archbishop. Toasts had been made for his health and for a long and wise life. He was also being served first and had the pick of any food, or drink offered. He turned this down, until Stigand said 'Thomas you are not a novice let along a Brother. What you have done, is worthy of a reward. A reward is given not taken, as I said you are not one of the men of God.' Stigand added 'Yet?'. There was no reply from Thomas.
The Archbishop carried on. 'Please take this as a man who He has given a gift. Thomas looked up to the head of the Church in England then looked down, almost in shame. Why do you look down? You have been blessed by the Lord, He has given you His gift, please use it, you must not it turn down, it is a rare gift to be given, even if He did not bless you, you have done well by doing your duty to the Lord and to our country. If you had not found those passages we may not have found them for many a week, month, or if ever. As I say again and I believe it true, you are our own gift from God. If God had not given you the gifts, that he has, you would not be in the place of honour. Enjoy this night. Please.'
Thomas did as he was bid, even though he thought slightly drunk. He was asleep well before the night was out. The Archbishop himself carried him back to his cell. Before he left he knelt beside the boys bed and prayed to the Lord, he thanked Him for the lad, also asked one thing. Why had Thomas been sent. In a flash, so powerful it made his head spin it came to him. He had been sent to this time to save the Apostles. Surely this could not be true. The more Stigand preyed the more his mind went back to the flash. It was not from the devil he knew that in his mind, it was the Lords wish that the English, no, all men of this island, should save the Saints. The letters which had been sent were now more important than ever. How should this be achieved. He must bless the Romans in this island.
Was it his right to tell them their Gods were not here? It maybe so, some did not think their Gods were here in this land. There was but one true Lord. The Lord of love, the Lord of forgiveness, the Lord of power and it was his duty to make all men acknowledgement that fact. He, was the only way to heaven, and only His love could save souls.

'Brothers, is it not vital that the Saints should be saved? Again I have sent messages to our brother Ealdred, the Archbishop of York. I have instructed him to make contact with our Brothers in that part of the land and the King of Alba also. We have not the power to save the blessed Saints with all the men King Harold can muster. Also I have sent word to the Prince in Wales to ask for the help from his land. We have done battle with both those lands these men rule over.
This time we will all be united under His love!
His Joy!
We will be victorious under His command!
Let pray for our victory under His banner!

Essex

The King had found out, of the words of his loyal and trusted archbishop, after all he had been instrumental in the discussions. Of the whys and wherefores, what had happened. With now both enemies gone, the Pope in Rome and the Bastard, the Lord had given him a new purpose. Saving the Saints was not going to be easy, even with the help of Malcolm and Bleddyn ap Cynfyn. In his mind the mission the Archbishop had declared was going to be one of diplomacy not war. How could he fight all the Empire of Rome, even if Vespasian would be his guide in battle. The two Romans that had been sent across the sea, only this morning, had no chance to report back for at least two weeks. Two weeks to plan for a war that might never happen. If it did he was going to be prepared the best he could.

Gaul

It had been a rough crossing and it had taken two days. Gaius and Antonius were cold, wet and, completely knacked. The fact that they had had to wade ashore didn't make things much better, a lot worse in fact. They had not managed to find any shelter as yet and it was getting dark. Nothing for it other then to bed down in the open. They went over the story they were going to tell if they were stopped by either Gaul's or their men from their own country. It was simple enough two men looking for trade opportunities in Britannia. Uncle and nephew, they were from their own, real, parts of the empire. The next day things improved. Walking north they made contact with members of the Legio XXth, Valeria Victrix and found out going north was the wrong way. The main Roman camp was now over ten leagues to the south, or to Antonius' mind too far by half. Bloody XXth could have at least offered them a ride in the wagon that was with them, no chance was the reply. Even when Gaius said he was an old legionary, they didn't care. He tried a bit more of his luck, with a blunt 'Why?'
'Which legion acceptarius, if you are one who has retired?' asked the Decanus smugly from atop his horse.
Gaius told the truth, partly 'IInd Augusta.' Gaius didn't know what was going to happen next.
Laughter 'It can't be your fault then.'
'What can't? Something wrong?'
'You could say that.' more laughter. It was now make or break for the two men.
'What do you mean by that?' said Antonius.
'Their Legatus has disappeared, lost to the sea I shouldn't wonder, when he took it on himself to cross to the end of the world. Took the best part of two cohorts with him, all lost I shouldn't wonder. Bloody IXth can't stick them, of course I didn't say that myself.'
'Of course.' This time chuckled Gaius 'Had a fair few fights with some of them back in Rome. When I was younger. You must have had the same.'
'Not me. Plenty had of fights with your old lot, more friendly like, no blood spilt, anyway. One time I remember I couldn't move for days your lot could punch. You know what's it like. Sod it, get in the wagon, who's to know.'
Antonius was confused. 'How come the auxilia fight for a legion?'
'How long have you been in the army lad? I'll answer that. Not long enough! We all stick together auxilia or not. You know Doukas' he pointed to the man besides him 'been with us for years. How long before you're a citizen? Must be soon.'

Essex

They had been hiding for weeks now, having as little to do with the population as possible For the first few days they thought they had landed further up the coast than they normally did. Later their minds came to think that they must have turned in the night and were back in Britannia, or more likely far to the north, to the land of the Picts. The strangeness of the people in this country, the language and even clothes were different, the weather had changed also.
It was only the day before that Verica and his fellow Atrebates had seen Romans. From what they could see there did seem to be two groups, one much larger than the other. The smaller group looked like allied with the men of this land, which ever land this was. Where they now on the side of the Catuvellauni? If so why? Bad news for him and his if they were, a war in the Empire?
After a long talk with his companions the started to walk towards the larger group of Romans. They were stopped before they could get anywhere near the camp, and after some words they were lead to the Princeps Pilus. Before he could ask them their business the man in front of him said 'I am King Verica of the Atrebates. I will see Aulus Plautius at once!'
Sabinus, the Princeps Pilus didn't like the man's tone. On the other hand he was one of those he had been sent to find. 'I am sorry to say Aulus Plautius is not here he is still in Gaul. You can be taken..' he was interrupted.
'He is in Gaul! What do you mean by that, in Gaul.' A brief amount reasoning came to him 'what land is this!'
Life for both Sabinus and Verica went downhill from there on in.

Gaul

Gaius and Antonius walked though the large camp of the Roman army, after asking for the Praefectus Castrorum of the IInd. It took sometime before they had made their way towards the command tent of Aulus Plautius himself.
'Is this wise?' said Antonius.
'What to you mean is this wise? Who else should we see? Walk straight into the the tent of the Aulus and beg for the life our Dux. Do you I think I'm mad? Much better to wait for Albinus, he can hardly dismiss us, well me without hearing what I have to say.'
'Who is he?'
'I don't go on too much about my service in the army, do I, and I like to keep it way, at least until you can know what I know. I'll put it this way, he owes me one.'
They waited for sometime they managed to find some food from some of men the XIVth Gemina who were only too happy to help out an acceptarius and his nephew. It was dusk before Gaius spotted Albinus. They sidled up to him 'Evening Albinus.' said Gaius
'In the name of all the Gods, what are you doing here? We heard that you were all dead or had sided with Epaticcus and the Catuvellauni.'
'It's a little more complicated than that, old friend.'

Essex

The Princeps Pilus had had quite enough of Verica. Finally he had told him to shut up or get out and take his chances with the English.' Or words to that effect.
'Do you not know who I am? I have told you and you will do as I say!' shouted Verica. He himself had had quite enough of Sabinus.
'I'll tell you want you are! You are a man without a kingdom! A man without an army! A man without a brain!' Sabinus was now red with anger. 'Look around you. It's you and your five friends. Loyal they maybe, mad they are not!' Sabinus dragged, Verica by the neck, out of his tent and pointed, 'What do you see, come on what the hell do you see? There 5000 men out there! You managed to move though this country once. Could you do it again? I think not!'
He pushed Verica to the ground. As the King rose he reached for his dagger, he didn't finish drawing it before before he was cut down by one of the guards standing out side of the tent. 'Bring the rest of them out here and run them though. I don't want my tent covered with blood.'
The next day was going to be a hard one, either fight and most likely lose or make peace with this King Harold, and Vespasian. His men were brave, no doubt. Not losing his eagle was more important then their mere lives.
Tomorrow?
He would have to be careful, any threats of arrest were now gone. Threats to his own life were high in his mind. A misunderstanding on both sides was the fault of the King of the Atrebates, who lay still at his feet, and the Gods. Always the Gods.
With the word that Vespasian with the King and nobles England were here again to meet worried him greatly. Sabinus had had no sleep, plenty of wine, but no sleep. One last swig from the near empty flask then he marched out of the camp.
He and he alone.
Marching was too strong a word for what he was doing, at least he had been helped into his armour. His men had tried to stop him, but he was having none of it, If it was his time to die, so be it. It was in the hands of the Gods, if indeed they were here at the edge of the world. He always thought he was going to die either fighting, or in his old age asleep. Dying drunk was one thing he had never considered. In his drunken state he stumbled and then fell face first and passed out.
The next thing he knew his was looking into the eyes of a man like death dressed all in black, had he passed into the underworld was this the Ferryman?

'Drunk I see, I do not blame him. I may well myself have done the same. Get him up and bring him some water, something to eat as well.'
'Yes your Grace.'
'Also ask someone to bring the Roman Nepos to this man, by his clothes I believe his of high rank.'
By time the time Nepos reached the fallen Roman he was awake, still drunk, not with it in anyway. but alive and that was important. The blood had be cleaned away from his face for where he had fallen. Bruising and swelling was now clear to see. What to do now, his mind was running amuck. His Legatus was with King Harold and the Archbishop a little ways off. What ever was going to pass here, was up to him. He was almost alone, yes he had some of his men.
He called for the Signifer and the rest of the men command, all twenty of them. He wished Gaius was with him. A childhood friend, even though he was his Optio he did talk sense sometimes, he had stopped him making mistakes before and he hoped he would again. This time is going to be up to him, nothing for it but to go. 'Brother, is the man fit to travel?'
'I would not move him, he is still full of drink. Any help we can give may not be of help.' And with that Oswald shrugged.
'Come on you lot, lets go.' he and his men marched towards the camp of the IXth.

Canterbury

Dusk was beginning to fall before word of what had happened reached Canterbury.
The IXth had come to terms.
No blood had been shed. Bodies had been brought out to the English. The Earl of Kent knew them not. Even though he had been told they were old Britons including a King. The Brothers may know, they had the books after all. The Earl would have to follow the Roman way and not be complacent in teaching letters to his fyrd.
The following morning Loefwine sat before Sabinus, he could see the look of pain the this Romans face. He had been there before himself, a mix of wine, mead and cider was not a good thing. Plus the fact the Roman had fallen face first in to the ground. He did not look good, Loefwine was going to have to leave him until the morning.

It took a few days before Sabinus was feeling almost human again, he had eaten with, which he had found out, were the priests from a temple a few days ride from where his men still were. He didn't remember the trip. When asked questions they didn't press him on any matters other than his health, family and his early life. The biggest questioned they were of all the Gods of Rome. He found this slightly unsettlingly he knew he was going to be under pressure later to tell all. He had found little out from the Brothers only what his knowledge was already, this country was one and under one king. They also had, but one God.

He stood as Vespasian and Nepos came into the cell he was in at the temple called Canterbury. 'Are you here to kill me?'
'It is no longer in our hands, you will answer to the Earl and his brother the King. What were you thinking? I have since found out that you did to battle against the English, small battle I know, but were you not under the same orders as me and my men? I was under orders not to do battle, of any kind in this country. Only to find me and Verica if you could. Were your orders the same? I was very restrained. I could have taken you and all your men as least prisoner or even killed. You kept your word when told and made no trouble that was one thing I also would have done. You are not at fault.' said Vespasian with no anger in his voice.
'Is he ready?' asked the Earl of Kent. Loefwine saw the dejected Roman 'I see he is, bring him along the King is waiting.'
Under his breath, Sabinus prayed to the Gods. 'If this is my last walk, please make my death a quick one.

'Why did the Earl do this to this man? Will he live Brother?' said Thomas looking down at Sabinus.
'The Earl, or the King may have not liked the answers he gave, let alone what his men did what his men did when they came to our shores. As for the matter of him living I know not, he is in the hands of God now.'
'Does this one believe in God? Or is he like Nepos and Gaius?'
'I do not think it matters to God whether this man believes in Him or not. The love of Jesus will keep this man alive. Or not. His life is in His hands as I said.'
Thomas was in silent prayer, he hoped the man in the cot would live, not because he was a Roman, here was a man who had not heard the word of God, if he died her would never hear it.
Another man entered the cell, this time a Roman that neither, Thomas or Brother Oswald had seen before. He bent over Sabinus, felt his forehead then checked the cuts and bruises on his head and body.
'Who are you?' said Oswald
'I'm Laelius, a medicus from the IXth. I have come here under the permission of your Earl. He and your King wish to keep this man alive. What do you think, will he live?'
'I do not know.' said Oswald.

Gaul

It took a few days before Gaius could question Albinus. They had been taken in by the army and been given much more than they really needed.
'The IXth? The IXth in trouble? How bad?' asked Gaius.
'Bad enough.' said Albinus. The Praefectus Castrorum looked about him, nobody was near. 'That arsehole!'
'What arsehole? said Antonius, a little to loudly for the other two men's liking.
'For the sake of all the Gods, keep it down boy.' said Gaius, himself a little too loud. He looked Albinus in the eye, 'What arsehole?'
'Bloody, Gnaeus Hosidius Geta. He goes sailing off with two cohorts. How you say he didn't get there! ' He brighten up, more than slightly 'Something else to eat?'
'Why not, any of that fish stew left?'
'I'll see what I can do. I know you have mixed in well but just keep your heads down, that's all.'
Antonius and Gaius had a lot of thinking to do, should they go back to England as soon as they could, or should they stay here and learn more, putting their lives at risk? Antonius spoke up, 'Do you think it an idea to see the big boss, he will know more than we do here and we in turn know more about England.'
Gaius was about to tell Antonius to shut up when Albinus said 'That's not a bad idea lad, come to think about it.'
'How to we get to see him then?'
Gaius cuffed Antonius around the ear 'For a lad that comes up with a good idea one moment and to had such a stupid one the next. Think lad. Who are we taking to? Albinus, right? He is in second in command of the IXth now, isn't he, we just ask him, don't we.
Albinus smiled 'I'll see to it.'

Canterbury

King Harold had the look of a man who had just had the weight of the world lifted from his shoulders. He looked firstly at his brother, then to the two Romans in the room. 'The man Sabinus was telling the truth that is undeniable. His knowledge of the truth, as far as he knows that is. The commander of this IXth Legion took this upon himself. Would your commander know he has done this?
Vespasian, had no real reply 'I can only see one way, or should I say the way I would have done this myself, is to tell Aulus I was going to do one thing and then do another. Aulus is over the sea, he would have no means to know what is going one here. The men under his command will, also not know. They just take the orders they are given.'
The Earl of Kent spoke next 'You think there is trouble in 'Gaul'?'
'There may well be, how much I would not like to guess. There should be no reason for there to be trouble, again I would not like to guess. The old Emperor has been dead for over two years now. Very few liked the man, if there was going to be any struggle it would have happened by now. Unless Aulus has lost some, or all, control. Mutiny was in the air, for a time. The men didn't want to cross the sea. As I now know, there are no monsters in those waters. But this land is at the end of the world. It is true that none of my old Gods are here, on the other hand there is light and life. If Geta has told the IXth to go their own way I don't know what could have happened. There is no way they will fight, there are another three legions, in Gaul. Another three legions, that they could not defeat in a fight. As I said it's a fight they cannot win.'
'Is it down to superstition? They will not cross the sea because of the monsters they think dwell, in those waters, nothing else?'
The King held up his hand 'Your Grace, these men are not like us, they have many Gods, like our fore fathers had. The point is will their fear of their monsters stop them from coming here. There are still at least 1,000 armed men in Essex. Their leader is our prisoner, will they try to rescue him or will they now take orders from the Legatus here?' he pointed at Vespasian. 'If they wish to fight us they will lose.' As Harold reached for a drink, he looked a Vespasian. 'As I have said before I do not want to fight. I do not want to see the sight of English blood on English soil. My brother tried to take the throne and many good men died. I do not want that again. If I have to pay these Romans not to fight I will. We have more to learn from each other. We can still trade, without the need of swords. We have many things they want. If we trade we will be a rich country, or a poor one if we fight.'
'There is one thing that can do use a lot of good' said Vespasian.
'Which is?' said Stigand
'My brother is second in command of the IXth. I hope that the two men we sent have enough sense to talk to him and not Geta, or at least try.'
'Do you trust your brother?' that question was asked by the King 'I have had a lot of trouble with Tostig. I hope he has gone, I never want to hear from him again, I hope you have not fallen out with ?' He left the question hanging in the air.
'Titus, my Lord. I have never had trouble with him, unless you count fighting as boys.'
The mood lighted.

Gaul

'Come on you two, we have to go now.'
Gaius and Antonius looked up to see Albinus and another man. 'Go where?' asked Gaius.
'Let me put it this way, things could be looking up.' said the other man.

Yorkshire

Malcolm, King of Alba looked around him, what a shit hole he thought. Even though the road to York was good, the tent he was using was not. He would not have been surprised to learn if it had belonged to his great grandfather, we must buy a new one if and when he had the chance. The locals on the route were very weary of him and his company of 30 fully armed men riding though their settlements. This kind of thing was not good news unless they were the men of your own lord. Even then, he knew of some of his own lords who did not treat their tenants as well as they should. He had had to bash some heads together when he got home. If he had to defend against the English, let alone Rome, he did not want to have in fighting among his own subject lords. Could he trust them to leave each other alone while he was at his meeting the Archbishop of York? He hoped so. Or God help them all.
The message from York was not unexpected. The amount of cries he had heard these past months had brought him to the very gates of his own personal hell. True things at the border had calmed since the flight of Tostig, how much he could trust Earl Morcar, he did not yet know. It was disconcerting, for him, that the English seemed united. Better that they fought each other and not cross the boarder. The stories that he had heard, of Romans in the south were some what like the ones he had come across himself. Men from across the sea, reaching his shores with no knowledge of God and unable to speak with any known voice.
More messages had come from other parts of his realm, the same stories, strange sailors, the change of the moon and the difference in the weather. Still the most important of all these messages where form Morcar and his Grace the Archbishop of York. It wasn't quite a summons, the language was civil. The same story from the English. Better together he thought, if the was a threat to England there could be a threat to his beloved Alba.
They had been riding for fives days covering the best part of twelve leagues each day, pushing the horses more than they should, York by the evening if the weather held. One more thing was on the mind of the King, why was he asked to bring books, both holy and those of the histories of his land. Those books took two horses to carry them and another horse to carry the monk who had furnished them.

'My Lord!' Malcolm heard the shout and rushed out of his tent. Many of his men were already forming up, looking down the road he could see a group of riders coming in at the trot. He did not stop his men from preparing for battle but told them 'Hold, we do not know who they yet are, if they were going to attack us we would be in a fight now,' The men held their ground but to took overt action. The King relaxed slightly when he could see the banner of Morcar clearly, he signalled his men to stand down, however also telling them to fight if they had to.
The lead rider slowed his horse to a walk and pulled up within a few yards of the Scots.
'Who here would be Malcolm, King of Alba?' said the man. Malcolm stepped forward.
'That man would be me. Who are you?'
'I am the Steward of the Earl of Northumbria, my Lord.'
'And pray why does the Earl send his Steward and not himself?'
'My Lord. My Lord is he is sick and at York. He bade me to find you a bring you to him.'
'Will the Earl live?'
'I would think very much so, he fell from his horse nothing more. He wishes for you to understand riding here would be foolhardy if there is need for riding to Kent.
'Of course I understand that. Does he ask us to come now, for we have yet to brake our fast.'
'I have only been told you ask you to come to York as fast as your horses will carry you.' said the Steward.

Winchester

The King of Gwynedd and Powys, Prince of Wales, was, to say the least very, disappointed by the fact that King Harold had left Winchester many weeks before he himself had arrived, why had he not been informed. He was given a warm welcome at the capital and had decided to rest up for a few days. It had been a hard ride he was tired and so were his men. Much of the first full day had been taken up by reading the letters that had been received by the English court. It tallied with many of the things known to Bleddyn. The Holy Brother who had travelled with him spent much time with his English counterparts, again going over the reports and comparing the books his party had brought with them to those of Winchester Minster. The next day was spent in praise, as it was the feast day of the Saints Peter and Paul. A further day of rest followed then by the ride to Canterbury.

Gaul

Aulus Plautius listened with a mixture of concern, anger, interest and disappointment. He praised Gaius for his honesty, new knew the Optio couldn't have made the story up. The tail was too extraordinary for it not to be true. He had known Geta had ambitions but not this high. To go against his orders and those of the Emperor himself was a death sentence. He hope he would never see the man again in this life. He also hoped that Vespasian had not done anything too rash the the men of the IXth, from what he had heard of these English would have no trouble at all in wipe them out. Small numbers were easy to fight. How many more England could call upon if needed. If the reports of the islands fighting men were true and the tactics more so could it be time to call up another legion. Two? For that permission was going to be needed from the Emperor, either way the Emperor would have to be told, if he had not heard word as yet.
There was the question, who was to command the IXth, if indeed Geta had gone missing in one way or another. The choice should be Titus Flavius, it was logical. However that maybe trouble, to have Vespasian and his brother both in charge of a legion could be a dangerous thing. But to promote the Prasfectus Castorum whom he didn't know, was also a problem and was therefore he was an unknown quantity.
There was only one thing for it. He himself had to got to this England.

Kent

Seven men sat under the shade of a canopy, on the top of a small hill. The weather was warm, the breeze cooling and the drink strong. Three Kings, two Archbishops, a Dux and two Roman Legatus. It promised to be, if not one thing another, the start of a very bloody and costly war, or a golden age for the countries of the island of Britain and the Empire of Rome.

End of Part One

Last edited by a moderator: