A Byzantine Civil War in place of the chaos of the Fourth Crusade is very fitting! Western Europe is also looking mighty interesting now with Philip being the victor over Otto, and I can't wait to see how that develops.

The Turks, the Sultanate of Rum, are more than likely going to try and assume administration in Asia Minor now with the weakened state of the Empire in the region. They'll probably wage a protracted war with Komnenid Trebizond and Laskarid Nicaea, as I would imagine the two working together, at least initially to fight them back, in order to preserve their own power, thus possibly helping Trebizond avoid its OTL vassalization at the hands of the Turks.

I do wonder if we'll see any fracturing of Byzantine Europe - we can surely assume that Bulgaria would be using the opportunity at hand to make itself more independent, whilst slowly eroding the Byzantine border. Perhaps Serbia might find itself expanding southwards into Albania and parts of Macedonia, but I feel as though it would first have to figure out a way to deal with the problems coming its way as a result of Vukan being in power, as well as the matter of Bosnia. The Principality of Arbanon could possible manage something if things get bad for the Byzzies, especially now that the fall of Venice has changed the geopolitical field.

Last edited:
Update! My sincere apologies for the delay.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

'The civil war in the Empire of the Greeks began to draw in the other powers of the Mediterranean. At Nicaea, Theodore Laskaris declared himself Emperor and launched a campaign to subdue Anatolia and assemble his supporters against Alexios III. The cities of Bithnyia and Ionia rallied to his banner, bringing all of northwest Asia Minor under his sway with the exception of Nicomedia and Chaldecon. In southern Anatolia, around Attaleia in particular, local supporters of Alexios resisted the encroachments of both Laskaris and the Sultanate of Rum, which captured the city of Cibryrha in 1207*. Trebizond continued to consolidate its rule over the Pontus and Chaldia, extending its rule along the north Anatolian coast as far as Paphlagonia. In Hellas proper, revolts against the Emperor were less serious, and few aligned themselves with the rebels in the East.

The crisis would, however, lead to conflict in the Mediterranean. In 1208, the Republic of Genoa sought to assert its rule over the Ionian Islands in light of the instability in the Empire. The exchange was thus: the Genoese would receive the islands without resistance from Constantinople in return for aid against the rebel Laskaris. This agreement did not address the concerns of the city of Zara, nor the Dalmatian merchant class, which held a great many interests in the territory.

In the August of that year, the Genoese occupied the islands, using their colony of Corfu as a launching pad. Commerce in the Gulf of Corinth suddenly fell into a Genoese stranglehold, in turn excluding the merchants of other powers access to the markets and products of the Peloponnese. The acquisition of the Ionian Islands was shortly followed by the seizure of Kythira in September, breaking the previous arrangement with the Empire but failing to rouse any opposition from The City. The trade of Crete, and thus the Aegean, was suddenly at the mercy of Genoa.

It is this action that is thought to have contributed most to the souring of Genoese-Pisan relations in the early 11th century and the subsequent alignments of Pisa with Zara, and Genoa with Florence that would lead to so many later wars.'

Extract from - Conflict in the Mediterranean: 1150-1300 (Italian)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*You may have noticed in the last post that Ephesus was under siege by 1210. That is true, but this extract looks more specifically at the years 1205-1208.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A simple map of the situation in late 1208:

spklqa.png

Orange = Dalmatia
Purple = Genoa
Red = Territory held by Alexios III
Blue = Territory held by Theodore Laskaris
Dark Red = Empire of Trebizond
Green = Pisa
Yellow = Sultanate of Rum

Stripes indicate economic/political influence of their respective nations.

Honestly finding myself cheering for Theodore for some reason - a Laskarid Byzantium might just be what the Empire needs. I do wonder how his brother Constantine is doing.

Don't want to sound like a bother, but are things doing alright on your end, Ilu?

Several things going on IRL, including a Geography trip to Barcelona for 5 days, and a trial shift for a new job. I'll get back to this as soon as I can - the Constantinopolitan civil war must be resolved!

Right, finally, after a long time, here is an update! This takes a look at the League of Dalmatia and Adriatic affairs between the end of the Istrian War and 1208.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

'The years following the end of the Istrian War saw the rise of the Dalmatian city-states to rival the power of Italy. Venice, the eternal and principle foe, was laid low for the next half-century, leaving Zara to take its place as the principle power of the Adriatic.

The relationship of the League of Dalmatia with the Kingdom of Hungary remained foremost in the League's priorities. By acknowledging the King in Buda as overlord, Zara and the other cities cemented their monopoly on Hungarian commerce, acting as the principle receptacle for imports to the Kingdom and the avenue for exports to the rest of the Mediterranean. With the victory of King Emeric over Bulgaria in 1205, the Dalmatian cities of Ragusa and Cattaro achieved dominance over the trade of Serbia, cementing Hungarian control over Grand Prince Vukan.

The decline of the Constantinopolitan Empire and its descent into civil war in 1205 caused a power vacuum to develop suddenly in western Haemus. While Hellas proper did not join the revolt of Theodore Laskaris against the Angeloi in Constantinople, the power of The City was much reduced. In the Principality of Arbanon, formerly autonomous under Archon Gjin Progoni, de facto independence was achieved even from the local Epirean nobility.

Dalmatia rose to take its place, with the blessing of Hungary. In 1207, Progoni signed a pact of mutual assistance with the city of Ragusa, effectively bringing the province under the hegemony of the League. Constantinople, unwilling to risk the wrath of Dalmatia or its Hungarian patrons (especially given the 'Sword of Damocles' in the form of Vukanian Serbia suspended over Macedonia), was powerless to intervene. The years between 1207 to 1212 were characterised by increasingly tense competition between Zara and Genoa for control over the trade of Greece proper, evidenced in the Genoese annexation of the Ionian Islands in 1208 and in the outbreak of the War of Candia in 1213.'

Extract from - Zara, Pearl of the Adriatic (Italian) (Not directly subsequent to previous extract)

A Dalmatian-aligned Arbanon will surely tip the scales further for the League in the Eastern Adriatic. Hungary seems near-dominant when it comes to peninsular politics at the moment, especially with Vukanian Serbia. As the broken record that I am, I still wonder how the Bulgarians and Romans will use the overthrown Stefan Nemanja II in countering the Vukanian threat looming over both their Macedonias.

That War of Candia does sound curious though, mostly because it seems to be the result of the rising tensions between Zara and Genoa. Can't wait to hear about it!

Update!

'The civil war in the Empire of the Greeks became the focal point for mercantile competition in the Mediterranean. The 1208 Treaty of Corinth assigned to the Republic of Genoa the Ionian Islands, beginning in earnest the involvement of the Italian and Dalmatian city-states in the conflict. Genoa sided with the Emperor Alexios III in Constantinople, receiving in return commercial rights and tax exemptions in The City itself and in the provinces of Hellas. Genoese merchants grew to dominate the trade of Athens, Epirus, and the Peloponnese. Having annexed Kythira in September 1208, the island of Crete was also brought under the sway of the Republic, its local nobility tenuously loyal to the Angeloi but beholden to the Genose.

The Republic of Pisa's position was thus damaged - Constantinople, a key part of the Pisan commercial 'empire' after the defeat of Venice in the Istrian War, was no longer their own preserve. Tensions between Genoa and Pisa escalated over the status of Corsica and Sardinia in the western Mediterranean, as well as the increasing dominance of Genoa over the Constantinopolitan economy, until the final outbreak of war in 1213. In light of this, Pisa favoured the rebellious Laskaris in Nicaea over the Angeloi. The increasingly confrontational nature of the rivalry prompted the formation of the major alliance structures in the Mediterranean for the next decade.

The power of the city of Florence in Tuscany had led to frequent clashes, diplomatic and military, with Pisa in the late 12th century. In was therefore no surprise that Genoa and Florence drew together in loose alliance in 1210, aimed at containing the influence of Pisa. Conversely, the breakdown of relations between Genoa and the city of Zara over the Ionian Islands in 1208, and also with the growth of Dalmatian* commercial influence in Serbia, Arbanon and Macedonia, lead the League of Dalmatia to draw closer to Pisa. This inevitably brought Ancona, Zara's close ally, into the fold of Pisa's friends.

The stage was set for a major confrontation. And fate did not disappoint. In 1213 the Republic of Genoa achieved, through the Treaty of Chios, control over the economic administration of Crete, including the ability to set tax and tariff rates for both their own merchants and those of other powers. Neither Pisa nor Zara nor Ancona could accept that.'

Extract from - Conflict in the Mediterranean: 1150-1300 (Italian)

*In this source, 'Zaratin' and 'Dalmatian' are used interchangeably. I leave you to imagine what reason there might be for this :p

I still wonder how the Bulgarians and Romans will use the overthrown Stefan Nemanja II in countering the Vukanian threat looming over both their Macedonias.

That will come up later. Expect to see a Bulgarian intervention in the Byzantine/Greek/Constantinopolitan/Rhoman/Roman civil war before too long. I haven't decided how exactly to deal with the implications of that, but I think it's fair to say that Serbia will be a turbulent place for the next few years!

Can't wait to see how the Civil War unfolds then, in that case! Very curious to see the interchanged use of 'Zaratin' and 'Dalmatian' as well. Excited to see how things go forward!

Update! Apologies for the delay, but my shifts were changed for a second time, and various other things came up. Anyway, here is more on the civil war.

'The civil war in the Constantinopolitan Empire continued to rage as tensions rose between the maritime city-states. In 1209, the rebel Theodore Laskaris suffered his first major defeat against the Sultanate of Rum with the fall of Ancyra to the Turks. Though his seat of power was at Nicaea (indeed, some historians label Laskaris' territories 'the Empire of Nicaea'), the loss of the city displaced all Greek forces, of any allegiance, from the Anatolian Plateau, severely weakening his grip on Asia Minor. The siege and capture of Attaleia, a city loyal to the Emperor Alexios, by the Turks proved small compensation for the rebels, merely serving to give the Sultanate a foothold on the southern littoral.

However, in other theatres of the war, Laskaris proved more successful. The region of Troad* fell under Nicaea's control with the capture of Dardanellia in late 1209, and the Thracian Chersonese** also joined the rebellion against the Angeloi with the Callipolitan Revolt of 1211, cutting Constantinople off from the Mediterranean. This dislocated the loyalist forces and caused a fracturing of political power in Hellas and Macedonia, giving the western states an opportunity to carve out spheres of influence in those territories. Nicomedia fell to the 'Laskarids' in early 1210, leaving Chaldecon as the only Loyalist toehold in Asia by 1213.

Major foreign involvement in the real conflict of the civil war began in 1210, with the beginning of the Long Siege of Ephesus (1210-1213). The Turks used their new stronghold at Attaleia to march west towards the Aegean, isolating the the Dodecanese islands*** in early 1210 before arriving at Ephesus in the August of that year. Though Ephesus itself had declined in importance ever since its fall to the Goths in 263, the infamous Siege is frequently attributed to that city rather than its more important neighbour Smyrna because of the vaunted tale of its defence, and its future significance.

Theodore Laskaris, unable to lend sufficient aid to his forces in the two besieged cities, requested assistance from his supporters in the Republic of Pisa and the League of Dalmatia. It materialised in October 1210 with the arrival of a Pisan relief force from that city's 'ally', Cyprus, and a Zaratin fleet under the command of the famed Domaldus, who had won great prestige during the Istrian War and the Dalmatian victory over the Republic of Venice. Zara opened the sea lanes between Ephesus and the northern port of Kydonies, allowing a more constant traffic of supplies that the Imperial Navy of the Angeloi was unable to interrupt, given the Emperor's incompetence and mishandling of the military. He and his predecessors had all but outsourced the Greek navy to the Venetians, and with their fall, they had no-one to turn to but a predatory Genoa. The help of Pisa and Zara ensured the defence of the cities through the winter of 1210 and the spring of 1211.

The other neighbouring powers did not sit idle during those years. Genoa consolidated its influence in Hellas and Crete, using Athens as a receptacle for the aid sent to Constantinople. When the City itself was cut off from its allies after the fall of the Thracian Chersonese in 1211, the Republic instead turned its attention towards setting up a pro-Genoese state in Greece proper, nominally 'Loyalist' (to Alexios) rather than 'Nicene', but under the sway of Genoa. Local nobility were empowered and elevated to positions of great influence, ruling over their petty-domains as sovereigns rather than as representatives of the Emperor. To the Genoese instead was their loyalty owed.

Bulgaria, shorn of many of its provinces and its sphere of influence in Serbia by the Igemona Haemus****, Emeric of Hungary, sought to increase its influence in Thrace and Macedonia. In times past, Tarnavo would have sought the conquest of Greek territories in Constantinople's moment of weakness. In this instance, however, Bulgaria feared bringing the wrath of Buda down upon their heads while alienating their one remaining non-adversarial neighbour. Instead, subtly but pointedly, they sent a force to garrison and protect the region around the city of Mosynopolis commanded by Stefan of Serbia, displaced former-Grand Prince of that Principality. In return for Bulgaria's aid and support, Alexios III agreed to ultimately accept Stefan as King of Serbia, crowned by his brother Sava, and to assent to a future autocephalous Serbian Church within the elevated Kingdom. The timing of such acts would be set at a later time. Together, the two countries hoped to displace Hungarian influence in the southern Haemus.'

Extract from - The History of Haemus (Germanic)

*Biga peninsular.
**Gallipoli peninsular.
***Held by the Gabalas family at this time. As IOTL, Rhodes swears nominal allegiance to the alt-Nicaea, but is a de facto independent state.
****'Haemic (Balkan) Hegemon'.

Situation in Byzantium at the end of 1211:

2yvorj9.png

Orange = League of Dalmatia; Dalmatian client states; Dalmatian spheres of influence
Purple = Republic of Genoa; Genoese spheres of influence
Red = 'Loyalist' Constantinopolitans, supporters of Emperor Alexios III
Blue/White = Rebels and supporters of Theodore Laskaris (a.k.a 'Nicenes', 'Laskarids').
Green = Republic of Pisa; Pisan spheres of influence
Yellow = Sultanate of Rum
Dark Red = Empire of Trebizond

A few things to mention:

1) Alexios III, having lost access to the Mediterranean, no longer controls the Aegean. Genoa and Laskaris have risen to fill the void.
2) Pisa has lost its influence in Thrace and Constantinople because it supports Laskaris. Alexios has not moved against the Pisan, Zaratin, Ragusan or Spalatro 'Quarters' in Constantinople for fear of bringing a direct assault on the City.
3) Cyprus is strongly influenced by Pisa but is not yet a 'client state' as Arbanon is to the League of Dalmatia.
4) Genoa now dominates the economies of the Peloponnese, Athens, Thessaly, and Epirus.
5) Dalmatia now dominates the economy of Macedonia.
6) The situation in Thrace is now so chaotic that the Bulgarian 'Garrison' are largely responsible for the maintenance of law and order, making the region look more and more like a Bulgarian province.

Please let me know if anything in the update seems implausible or impossible, or even things that could be phrased/structured/ordered more clearly. Constructive criticism is valued!

Also, anything in particular that might be interesting for the TL to address. The cultural implications (e.g. Dalmatian language) will come into it at some point, perhaps towards the end as a non-chronological extract from a language text.

I will be the first to admit that I am not the best at constructive criticism, especially when it comes to war. The phrasing, structure and order of things seems clear enough in my opinion, and there doesn't seem to be anything that I would at least consider implausible. Stefan Nemanja II, or just Stefan, would more than likely be doing things such as leading troops for the Bulgarians for now at least, since he can't do much to influence Serbia outside of preaching to the Orthodox populace, and even then that's what his brother Sava is more than likely doing. I will admit however that you managed to fracture my initial support of Laskaris with the Byzantino-Bulgaro-Rascian alliance/coalition (Rascian as opposed to Zetan, referring to the original holdings of Stefan and Vukan respectively), and that I'm split on who to cheer for.

As for anything interesting for the TL to address, you already mentioned that you would explore the consequences of a Catholic Serbian King ruling over an Orthodox populace, and with your writing thus far, I am excited to see how things turn out on that front. The Lombard Lagoon and Chioggia would also be great to see, to see a more localized exploration of the area and how it had been affected after the fall of Venice. I doubt I have to say anything about exploring Philip of Swabia and his influence/impact over the HRE, as well as Hungary's relations with its neighbors, such as Austria, Bohemia and Poland.

Bulgaria's influence in Thrace makes me wonder if Kaloyan will try to possibly snatch the territory from Alexios if things go south for him, or perhaps even ask for it as compensation for the work put into keeping a chaotic region lawful. The slow rise of the Second Bulgarian Empire had been stopped in its tracks with the butterflying of the 4th Crusade and Emeric stopping Kaloyan's discussions with the Pope in his tracks. Whilst I doubt Alexios would ever have the Empire recognize his Imperial title, as to be Emperor would mean to be the Emperor, I would imagine he'd at least fully recognize the Bulgarians as independent, in an attempt to ensure the anti-Magyar coalition. One thing is guaranteed though - Kaloyan won't die in the 1207 Siege of Thessalonica, and he'd definitely stay pragmatic enough for the coalition to last. He also won't receive the title of Romanslayer, since the event which gave him that title has been butterflied.

I will admit however that you managed to fracture my initial support of Laskaris with the Byzantino-Bulgaro-Rascian alliance/coalition (Rascian as opposed to Zetan, referring to the original holdings of Stefan and Vukan respectively), and that I'm split on who to cheer for.

Well, I guess that might prove a positive in terms of maintaining realism. Makes it less likely that I'm unfairly favouring one side over the other.

In case you want a comprehensive list, here are the principle parties in the rapidly-building alliance structures that will come to fruition in 1213:

Pro-Alexios III
'Loyalist' Byzantium
Republic of Genoa
Republic of Florence
Second Bulgarian Empire
Stefan Nemanja (former Grand Prince of Serbia) and his Serbian Loyalists
Local nobility of Hellas and Crete
Gaeta (due only to dislike of Pisa rather than enmity with the Dalmatian cities)
Andrew of Hungary (yes, he will rebel once again - what will Leopold of Austria do?)

Pro-Theodore Laskaris
'Laskarid' Byzantium ('Empire of Nicaea')
League of Dalmatia
Republic of Pisa
Republic of Ancona
Kingdom of Hungary
Principality of Serbia ('Vukanian Serbia')
Banate of Bosnia
Principality of Arbanon
Kingdom of Cyprus (Pisan influenced)

Other Parties (not aligned with one another, but significant)
Sultanate of Rum
Empire of Trebizond

explore the consequences of a Catholic Serbian King ruling over an Orthodox populace

I shall. It shall become entangled with the civil war and its aftermath - at least, that's how the ideas sit in my mind for now.

The Lombard Lagoon and Chioggia would also be great to see, to see a more localized exploration of the area and how it had been affected after the fall of Venice.

Yes, I think I will look at particular, specific areas like the Lagoon, perhaps also at Gaeta, Ancona, and the Black Sea. Probably towards the end, so I can reference the whole TL for material.

exploring Philip of Swabia and his influence/impact over the HRE

Yes, I'm wrestling with that topic at the moment. I might leave most of its (vast) implications vague to keep the TL focused on Dalmatia, though changes that impact Dalmatia will of course be addressed.

Hungary's relations with its neighbors, such as Austria, Bohemia and Poland.

Yes. You may see them take advantage of renewed opposition to Hungary's hegemony in the Balkans.

Bulgaria's influence in Thrace makes me wonder if Kaloyan will try to possibly snatch the territory from Alexios if things go south for him

I've been thinking about that. I'll let the story of the civil war flow at its own pace, so we'll both have to wait and see whether Kaloyan does do such a thing.

Yes, I'm wrestling with that topic at the moment. I might leave most of its (vast) implications vague to keep the TL focused on Dalmatia, though changes that impact Dalmatia will of course be addressed.

That's quite fair, since you wouldn't want to detract from the star of the show, nor would anyone here want to see you overstretch yourself. Also that's quite a nice comprehensive list there, really shows how much influence people would want over those calling themselves Rhomania. Also getting us excited with Andrew showing his face once more.

Can't wait to see how everything turns out then!