• Yes, hurry up with the next update!

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • I'm willing to give it a chance.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • Not today, thank you.

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
Chapter 11 - Reconquest
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Rab-490x360.jpg

The harbour-town of Arba
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Reconquest
__________________________________________________________________________________​

The intervening days between the Battle of Zara and the final clash of the Istrian War were rife with military preparation, diplomatic manoeuvring and commercial competition.

Perhaps the most significant event that took place during that time was the signing of a treaty of perpetual alliance between Zara and Ancona on the 18th of March. The final document (written in Latin, Dalmatian and Anconetan Italian[1]) bound the two cities together as economic and military partners, a relationship which endured far into both cities’ futures. For Zara the agreement was important for many reasons – not only to ensure aid in the ongoing struggle with Venice, but also to act as an external ‘buttress’ to Zaratin pre-eminence in the Dalmatian League. Even at this early stage, the divisions within Dalmatia that later brought about great discord were already developing

Elsewhere, preparations for the liberation of the northern islands were underway. At Arba the Dalmatian fleet reassembled and rallied, presided over by the reinstalled Arban Comes and the Zaratin naval commanders; Berto Matafarri and Zuane Zorzi (later a man of some renown).

On the Venetian side, the remnant of the Grand Fleet was concentrated at Pola. Tasked with defending Crepsa and Veglia, the plan was to hold back the main body of the fleet whilst scouting vessels were left to keep watch over the isles. When an enemy force was sighted, the intention was to mass the Venetian ships for an engagement and then inflict a defeat on the enemy in pitched battle. In Istria, there were proposals for an offensive towards Fiume in the Duchy of Merania, with the intention of securing its harbour as a forward base to ensure the retention of Veglia, and perhaps retake Arba. Ultimately, however, such plans were abandoned due to a lack of sufficient naval support and the risk of inciting stronger Hungarian intervention, or even a response from one of the Imperial claimants.

The final confrontation of the Istrian War was the Battle of Veglia, which began on the 20th of March 1203. In purely aesthetic terms it outmatched even the Battle of Zara, and has consequently been the subject of a far greater number of artistic pieces. The remnants of the Grand Fleet and as many other ships as the Venetians could muster were arrayed in the defence of the city of Veglia, from which the isle gained its name. Over thirty warships in total were assembled by the Republic, which set forth on the 18th once the approaching Dalmatian fleet was sighted. Enrico Dandolo had also seized many merchant ships, loading them with mercenary sailors and survivors of lost vessels. Present too were impressed sailors from Istria; some forced to fight for Venice, others who found Venetian rule preferable to the Aquileian alternative.

Against Venice lay the combined Dalmatian fleet, which made up the largest portion of their force. Attached to it were ships of Genoa, Pisa, Gaeta and Ancona – few in number, but testament to the tacit support the merchant republics had lent to the League. There was even a contingent from Sebenico[2], under the command of their Comes, Domald of Sidraga[3]. However, in battle on the open seas, the larger and more deadly Venetian galleys held the advantage over the lighter, smaller Dalmatian vessels.

Reports concerning the course of the Battle of Veglia are confused and contradictory. The events of that day are impossible to define without fault, primarily due to the close-packed, chaotic nature of the sea-battle. Few details are thought to have been preserved correctly by contemporary historians.

It is known, however, that the Venetians were the first to act. As dawn broke on the morning of the 20th, Dalmatian lookouts espied the Venetians advancing with full sails towards their fleet. They swiftly roused their compatriots with horns, and arrayed themselves for battle.

Pro-Venetian historians, such as Tobias Gruber[4] of Vienna, claim that the Venetians carved a swathe of destruction through the ranks of Dalmatian and allied ships, almost severing the enemy force in two. Pro-Zaratin scholars contrastingly maintain that the Venetian 'wedge' shattered against the resistance put up by the Dalmatians. The truth likely lies somewhere in between. Whatever the case, the battle was not one of motion and deception as the Battle of Zara had been. Rather, it was one of attrition and heavy casualties.

When the smoke finally cleared, very late into the afternoon, the Dalmatians emerged as the victors – but only just. The Grand Fleet had suffered enormous damage, with its remnants fleeing to Pola once their position became untenable. But they had inflicted losses on the Zaratins nigh on as devastating as their own. Though the Venetians were forced to abandon Veglia and, on the 23rd of March, Crepsa, the battle was without doubt a pyrrhic victory. Nor, incidentally, was Venice crippled. The Republic, though it had suffered severe losses to its fleet, remained in a stronger position than it had before the Crusade with its new holdings in Istria.

Neither Venice nor Zara had anything left to give. Without sufficient strength on either side to press an offensive, the war quickly dissolved into a stalemate. On the 6th of April, it was agreed that a treaty of peace would be signed in Venetian-held Pola, Istria.
__________________________________________________________________________________​

Extract from: Great Battles and How They Changed the World

Footnotes:

[1]
Anconetan Italian is the dialect of Italian spoken in Ancona and the surrounding region.

[2]
Sebenico is the Italian form of OTL Šibenik. Sebenico was in 1203 a city of Croats, but had been 'Dalmatianised' to some extent, with its governing elite using the Dalmatian language and the city adopting much of Dalmatian Roman law. In 1203 Domald of Sidraga was Comes of the city.

[3]
Domald will show up later - he was an ambitious and powerful Croat-Dalmatian nobleman OTL who held the comital title in many Dalmatian cities and Croatian counties (Sidraga was one of the latter).

[4]
Gruber is entirely fictional. I threw him in to emphasise the ambiguity of events and different interpretations of the Battle of Veglia.

Hope that was a good read. It was a challenge to write; I had to make some pretty heavy edits from the last incarnation of the TL, and the unreasonably warm temperatures in England right now aren't helping me focus. Next up, we'll be looking at the peace treaty and the impact the war had on the wider neighbourhood.

I'm not sure when the next update will be out - most likely Tuesday because my fingers still haven't healed. Feel free to comment and discuss in the meantime - I always try to respond to comments if they seem to be directed at me or to all readers.

See you in the next one!

- Iluvatar

I wonder what arms this Dalmatia will end up with. OTL there were two in use - 1) a golden arm holding a sword on red, 2) 3 golden crowned white leopard heads facing dexter on red. The latter was often used to indicate all of Croatia as a whole, and morphed into 3 golden crowned leopard heads facing front on blue, before becoming just Dalmatia. The former was used for Dalmatia when the latter was used for Croatia but at least one German herald reversed them.

Even if Venice isn’t totally wrecked by this war, and indeed remains the premier Adriatic naval and mercantile power, it’s absolutely not going to achieve anything like its OTL dominance in the Eastern Med. The independent Dalmatians will act as a constant check on its power and a thorn in its side. I could see the phrase “dagger pointed straight at the Lagoon” being used at some point. If the Venetians try to pull off schemes in farflung regions like Greece or Albania there will always be the risk of the Dalmatians interfering with their supply lines or attacking their Adriatic possessions.

This means that the pre-eminent Italian merchant republic probably remains Genoa ITTL, which will have significant diplomatic effects across the Med. For one thing, IIRC the Genoans had much less antagonistic relations with the Byzantines, and here they could potentially have a near-monopoly on Eastern trade—they could end up kingmakers in Constantinople pretty soon. I’d also be curious to see if they might try and expand their holdings elsewhere—Genoan rule of all of Crimea, maybe?

I wonder what arms this Dalmatia will end up with. OTL there were two in use - 1) a golden arm holding a sword on red, 2) 3 golden crowned white leopard heads facing dexter on red. The latter was often used to indicate all of Croatia as a whole, and morphed into 3 golden crowned leopard heads facing front on blue, before becoming just Dalmatia. The former was used for Dalmatia when the latter was used for Croatia but at least one German herald reversed them.
I'm pretty fond of the current coat of arms (3 golden leopards on blue). It just needs to change the leopards into lions if they gain de jure independence.

I'm pretty fond of the current coat of arms (3 golden leopards on blue). It just needs to change the leopards into lions if they gain de jure independence.
Well leopards and lions are mostly indistinguishable heraldrically. The main distinction since the 15thc, predominately in French tradition, is that leopards are lions facing forward/front while lions are leopards facing sideward. So the oldest arms of Dalmatia/Croatia where they face dexter would technically be called lion heads but today's where they face front they are leopard heads.

Please also see here for the wiki summary on the arms and check out references 7-9 for the sideward heads.

Well leopards and lions are mostly indistinguishable heraldrically. The main distinction since the 15thc, predominately in French tradition, is that leopards are lions facing forward/front while lions are leopards facing sideward. So the oldest arms of Dalmatia/Croatia where they face dexter would technically be called lion heads but today's where they face front they are leopard heads.

Please also see here for the wiki summary on the arms and check out references 7-9 for the sideward heads.
I have once read that in heraldry lions represent a higher status then leopards, that is that they are reserved for kingdoms and royals while leopards are more for their subordinates. This was presumably the reason why they switched from lions to leopards, later on. Do you know if there is any truth in this? I must confess I’m ignorant about heraldy.

I have once read that in heraldry lions represent a higher status then leopards, that is that they are reserved for kingdoms and royals while leopards are more for their subordinates. This was presumably the reason why they switched from lions to leopards, later on. Do you know if there is any truth in this? I must confess I’m ignorant about heraldy.
While that could make sense as in mediaeval times natural leopards were considered hybrids of lions and pards (basically cheetahs) so lions can be considered "purer" it's not something I recall coming across. It's also really difficult to distinguish the two since heraldic leopards are generally - when a nonfacing and attitude distinction is recognised to exist - only slightly slimmer with smaller manes than heraldic lions and what one herald would call a leopard another would call a lion.
Note that the English arms technically display leopards even though they are called lions passant guardant.
It's probably more accurate to say that heraldic leopards only exist as an attitude of heraldic lions, a bit like having different names for different coloured discs (pommes are roundels vert, bezants are roundels or, etc). Tbh in British heraldry leopard as a distinction doesn't exist except where referring to natural ones.

I've always had a soft spot for Dalmatia, especially the medieval variety. (I'm a fan of anything that involves bludgeoning Venice with many sharp objects, really). ;)

Oh, the Venetians have and will be bludgeoned from time to time ITTL :p. But Venice will remain strong enough to do some bludgeoning of its own.

In regards to Dalmatian expansion, one might see them taking control of OTL's Venetian Dalmatia, taking the hinterland up to the Dinaric Alps; the areas around Fiume; Istria (with resistance from Aquilea and Venice, possibly the HRE if it gets to that point); to the south, OTL's Venetian Albania (Kotor, Shkodra, Budva, bits of Montenegro); actual Albania (ports like Lis/Alessio, Durres/Durrazzo); and the Ionian Islands. In essence, the same areas that Venice conquered have the same usefulness to the Dalmatians as they were to the Venetians. They might however be able to expand further inland than the Venetians did, perhaps going up the Neretva to Mostar, taking Podgorica and Lake Skadar, or even the Western Lowlands of Albania.

They will extend their rule further into the hinterland. The cities were IOTL influential in Croatian politics, though separate from the Kingdom - for example, the Comes of Veglia controlled the district of Modruš in Croatia, and Zara was influential in the county of Nona (centred around the city of Nin). There will be some territorial changes in the upcoming chapter about the peace agreement.

I think you're right to suggest that areas Venice found useful would generally also be beneficial to the Dalmatians. However, they might conversely lack a large incentive to push inland because: (1) they mostly have positive relations with Hungary-Croatia, thus removing the need for strategic depth, and (2) they can obtain the resources of the region through diplomacy and trade, something Venice's antagonistic relationship with Hungary precluded.

I wonder what arms this Dalmatia will end up with.

Not sure. The Zaratin coat of arms was, unless I'm mistaken, this. Depending on how (and if) Dalmatian unity is ultimately achieved (remember that they are currently in alliance, without any political union), it could be adapted for the whole country if a common nationality is forged though Zaratin conquest/dominance.

Even if Venice isn’t totally wrecked by this war, and indeed remains the premier Adriatic naval and mercantile power, it’s absolutely not going to achieve anything like its OTL dominance in the Eastern Med. The independent Dalmatians will act as a constant check on its power and a thorn in its side. I could see the phrase “dagger pointed straight at the Lagoon” being used at some point. If the Venetians try to pull off schemes in farflung regions like Greece or Albania there will always be the risk of the Dalmatians interfering with their supply lines or attacking their Adriatic possessions.

It's true, Venice will be more vulnerable ITTL without unquestioned control over the Adriatic. However, this initial war does not necessarily mean that Venice and Zara will be eternal enemies. Most likely Zara simply emerges as yet another merchant republic, with which Venice can fight or ally. The difference is that Zara would be strong enough to form a credible threat very close to Venice itself if backed by the rest of Dalmatia, which forces the Republic to be more cautious.

This means that the pre-eminent Italian merchant republic probably remains Genoa ITTL, which will have significant diplomatic effects across the Med. For one thing, IIRC the Genoans had much less antagonistic relations with the Byzantines, and here they could potentially have a near-monopoly on Eastern trade—they could end up kingmakers in Constantinople pretty soon. I’d also be curious to see if they might try and expand their holdings elsewhere—Genoan rule of all of Crimea, maybe?

The Genoese will remain very influential ITTL. However, they also have a rival in Pisa - the POD is before the Battle of Meloria. The role of the republics in this surviving Byzantine Empire will be an important one, though as the focus is on Dalmatia references to this will be made only when necessary.

Not sure. The Zaratin coat of arms was, unless I'm mistaken, this. Depending on how (and if) Dalmatian unity is ultimately achieved (remember that they are currently in alliance, without any political union), it could be adapted for the whole country if a common nationality is forged though Zaratin conquest/dominance.
St George was fairly common in the Mediterranean. The Flags of Genoa, Sardinia, Corsica, Savoy, etc all feature variants of a St George Cross as do Switzerland, Denmark, England, and the HRE war flag.
I'd suggest the future Dalmatian would be a mix of Zaratin St George symbolism (even if just a red/white cross on white/red) and something more coast wide.
Perhaps a white cross on red between 4 white or golden lion heads?

St George was fairly common in the Mediterranean. The Flags of Genoa, Sardinia, Corsica, Savoy, etc all feature variants of a St George Cross as do Switzerland, Denmark, England, and the HRE war flag.
I'd suggest the future Dalmatian would be a mix of Zaratin St George symbolism (even if just a red/white cross on white/red) and something more coast wide.
Perhaps a white cross on red between 4 white or golden lion heads?
The individual riding the horse in this case is Saint Chrysogonus, one of many Zaratin patron saints. They use the same crest today only slightly modified https://hr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grb_Zadra
Personally I think using Saint Chrysogonus as a common symbol would create serious tensions among the cities. Patron saints are kinda important in Dalmatia from a symbolic point of view (even today).
Maybe we should just keep the 3 lions/leopards on blue. It’s neutral and well known. Either that or a clean sheet design but without any symbolism from a particular city. I’ve been thinking about this all day and can’t come up with anything good.
Your idea is good but for reasons I mentioned before I would not go that route. Unless @Iluvatar is planning for Zara take the rest of Dalmatia by force then by all means your design would convenient. But then again you wouldn’t even need a new coat of arms, you could just use the original Zaratin version. But then would the state be called Dalmatia or Zara?

Now I have to leave you guys for a bit before my wife divorces me for spending too much time debating alt-history ;)

Just wanted to say i really like this tl so far, an interesting setting I don't know much about.

I also like the update style with shorter updates that can be read in a few minutes. They are perfect for the short periods of downtime I have at work.

Keep up the good work.

D
The individual riding the horse in this case is Saint Chrysogonus, one of many Zaratin patron saints. They use the same crest today only slightly modified https://hr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grb_Zadra
Personally I think using Saint Chrysogonus as a common symbol would create serious tensions among the cities. Patron saints are kinda important in Dalmatia from a symbolic point of view (even today).
Maybe we should just keep the 3 lions/leopards on blue. It’s neutral and well known. Either that or a clean sheet design but without any symbolism from a particular city. I’ve been thinking about this all day and can’t come up with anything good.
Your idea is good but for reasons I mentioned before I would not go that route. Unless @Iluvatar is planning for Zara take the rest of Dalmatia by force then by all means your design would convenient. But then again you wouldn’t even need a new coat of arms, you could just use the original Zaratin version. But then would the state be called Dalmatia or Zara?

Now I have to leave you guys for a bit before my wife divorces me for spending too much time debating alt-history ;)
D'oh. St Chrysogonus. Mea culpa (colpa mia?)
I blame that damn standard he flies, soooo associated with George!
I was going to argue to keep the red but considering Venice colours are red and white/gold having the Dalmatian Alliance using blue would actually be better. I wonder if that's why it ended up blue OTL?
@Iluvatar
Could a modification of an alt Bosnian flag with arms of mine be better?:

bosniakdm-png.374218

Instead of the lion could be either 3 lion heads or a mounted knight with a lion head on his shield (think Lithuania's Arms).

Last edited:
D

D'oh. St Chrysogonus. Mea culpa (colpa mia?)
I blame that damn standard he flies, soooo associated with George!
I was going to argue to keep the red but considering Venice colours are red and white/gold having the Dalmatian Alliance using blue would actually be better. I wonder if that's why it ended up blue OTL?
@Iluvatar
Could a modification of an alt Bosnian flag with arms of mine be better?:

bosniakdm-png.374218

Instead of the lion could be either 3 lion heads or a mounted knight with a lion head on his shield (think Lithuania's Arms).
Don’t worry about it, it’s a common mistake. Happens all the time.
Your design is nice but I pity the poor person who would have to carve that coat of arms into stone (think city gates). The lion on a checkered background seems like a handful.

Chapter 12 - Peace
__________________________________________________________________________________
1200px-Peace-treaty_of_Zadar_1358.JPG

The Treaty of Pola
__________________________________________________________________________________
Peace
The Treaty of Pola defined the balance of power in the Adriatic and the Mediterranean for many decades after the Istrian War. Within its text lay the foundations for Zara’s rise to pre-eminence in Dalmatia and the region’s subsequent ascendance to prominence on the Mediterranean stage.

From Zara two principle envoys were dispatched, Berto Matafarri and Damian Varicassi[1]. In 1202 these men had been the city’s representatives to the Venetian invaders; now they were to discuss terms of peace with those who had turned them away. From each of the other Dalmatian cities came their own emissaries, operating autonomously but within the context of the Dalmatian League. To Antonio Begna, the Zaratin Comes, King Emeric of Hungary delegated authority to make a peace in the name of his own Kingdoms. The situation was complicated by the dominance of Emeric’s rebellious brother Andrew, who claimed the title ‘Duke of Zara and of all Dalmatia, Croatia and Hum’[2] in defiance of Begna’s status as Dalmacie Princeps (an action the King had taken in full knowledge that it would undermine his brother’s position).

Also present at the peace negotiations were representatives from other Mediterranean countries, the influence of which could not be ignored. From the Empire of the Greeks ambassadors came, in attendance as part of the delegations from Ragusa and Cattaro. Though the Ragusan Rector was appointed by Greek representatives, even the incompetent Alexios Angelos III recognised that it would be best if Constantinople made provision for its own interests.

The Venetians dispatched a sizeable legation, keen to emphasise to the world that the Republic had not been defeated, and that Pola remained Venetian territory. It was led by the Doge himself, but also included members of the Council of Ten learnèd in the arts of diplomacy. Commander Bragadin had hoped to regain favour by participating in the negotiations, but historians record that Dandolo was so enraged by his failures in the war (which were largely the result of poor fortune rather than personal fault) that he was sent back to Venice in shame, with a considerable demotion.

Also present were small delegations from the Papal States (led by Abbot Guy of Vaux-de-Cernay[3]), Genoa and Pisa, there to ‘observe’ proceedings and lobby the negotiating parties. They had never engaged in state-level conflict against one another, but private citizens had been directed by their governments to seize Venetian assets where possible. Of course, as Zara had been under Papal protection at the time of the attack in 1202[4], the Vatican was keen to give the impression that it had honoured its commitments.

Negotiations took several weeks, but terms were eventually agreed between the Venetians and the Dalmatians. Venice agreed to abandon all its claims to the Dalmatian coast, recognising the sovereignty of the King of Hungary over the northern cities and the Greek Emperor in the south. Zara in particular was reaffirmed as under the protection of both Hungary and the Papacy. The status of the city was reinforced by Venetian recognition of Comes Begna’s title as Dalmacie Princeps, which was also affirmed by Papal representatives. It can therefore be convincingly argued that this treaty laid the foundations on which the rise of Zara was built.

In return for Venice’s concessions, the Dalmatians agreed to recognise Venetian rule over Istria, with the crucial concession of recognition of the Republic’s hold on Pola. The Dalmatian League had gone to war to liberate its conquered members, not to free the Istrians from the clutches of the Republic. Aquileia had not moved to aid Dalmatia, and thus (in the eyes of the Zaratins) deserved no territorial reward. Therefore Trieste, Muggia and Pola were integrated into the Republic of Venice, and remained under its rule for many years.

Outside the Adriatic, Genoa and Pisa benefited more from Venice’s defeat than the Dalmatians did. The unofficial conflict had gone mostly their way, and yielded excellent return. Pisa became the dominant player in Cyprus, displacing the Venetians, whilst Genoa obtained a stranglehold over the Levantine metropoles of Acre and Tripoli. Only in the Greek Empire did imperial law, weakly enforced as it was under the Angeloi, preserve Venice’s commercial empire.

Though not quite in its entirety. One small article of the Treaty of Pola ceded the Gate of Drungaries, part of the Venetian Quarter of Constantinople, to the Communitas Iadera[5]. This represented the establishment of the Zaratin, later Dalmatian Quarter of the City, and marked the modest onset of a Dalmatian presence in the Bosporus which lasted many centuries.

In victory the Dalmatian League stood strong, bolstered in unity by their success. But now minds in Zara and elsewhere along the coast turned towards the future of the League – it’s potential for strength, and its underlying weaknesses.

Extract from: The Decline and Fall of the Republic of Venice
Footnotes:

[1]
Matafarri and Varicassi were, as mentioned before, the two Zaratin diplomats who negotiated with Venice IOTL. Here they reprise their roles, but on equal footing with the Republic rather than under threat of invasion.

[2]
Andrew had obtained these titles from his brother, King Emeric of Hungary, as an appanage. He de facto ruled as an independent monarch, but was nominally subordinate to the King at Esztergom. ITTL the King's decision to grant Begna the title Dalmacie Princeps ('Prince of Dalmatia') is an attempt to weaken his rebellious brother by diluting his claims to be preeminent in the region. The tension between Emeric's Hungary and Andrew's Croatia will play a role.

[3]
Abbot Guy was a Crusader leader who refused to participate in the OTL Siege of Zara and forbade the Crusaders from doing so as a Papal representative, with the famous words, 'because it is a city of Christians, and you are pilgrims'. ITTL he was complicit with Simon de Montfort in unveiling the plot and now acts here as representative for the Papacy.

[4]
As previously mentioned, Zara had placed itself under Papal protection in 1183, after its rebellion against Venice.

[5]
Communitas Iaderan is Latin for 'Zaratin Municipality'. Unfortunately, because so few Dalmatian words have been preserved after its extinction, I was unable to find the equivalent. Presumably it is something like Communita Zadratina, somewhere between the Latin and Italian ('Comunità Zaratino'). Thoughts? Anyway, the description is based on Ragusa's pre-Republican title 'Communitas Ragusina' ('Ragusan Municipality').
Here is a map of the Adriatic with the end of hostilities. There will be more territorial changes coming up, however, as King Emeric will seek to weaken his brother Andrew by granting certain territories to the Dalmatians. You will notice that Pago is for the time being shown as Croatian, as the end of the war led the Zaratins to allow a return of civil administration from the Croatian zupan. However, Emeric is quite keen to keep Pago outside his brother's control and under loyalist Zara, so its ultimate status is yet to be decided:

2r40kf6.png

That's the peace treaty; up next, internal League politics! Any comments, ideas or predictions welcome.

I'll answer comments tomorrow and aim to have the next update out by Thursday. Yes, I know it's technically now past midnight and Wednesday 4th BST, thus breaking my commitment to releasing on Tuesday - but it's only 20 minutes late! I stayed up to get it out ASAP :p.

See you in the next one.

- Ilu

Last edited:
[5] Communitas Iaderan is Latin for 'Zaratin Municipality'. Unfortunately, because so few Dalmatian words have been preserved after its extinction, I was unable to find the equivalent. Presumably it is something like Communita Zadratin, somewhere between the Latin and Italian ('Comunità Zaratino'). Thoughts? Anyway, the description is based on Ragusa's pre-Republican title 'Communitas Ragusina' ('Ragusan Municipality').
Seems a reasonable linguistic guess to me though I think it should be Communita Zadratina to match gender.

Further on arms this was the arms used by Emeric and his son Ladislaus:
184px-Coa_Hungary_Country_History_Imre_%281196-1204%29.svg.png

A similar version with 7 lions was used by Andrew when succeeded Ladislaus.
Since Andrew was "Duke of Zara and of all Dalmatia, Croatia and Hum" I wonder if he is the ultimate source of the use of lion heads - with perhaps the 3 representing the 3 lands named. Andrew becoming Andrew II in this timeline will affect things here too as he'll probably be more antagonistic than OTL.
Ultimately the Arms are going to rise out of how Dalmatia itself rises and the people involved. Does Begna have a personal sigil? That could form the basis of one for all Dalmatia. You have time though, most of the Arms of Croatia and Dalmatia didn't show up until late 1300s.