CSA in Olympics

What sports would the CSA qualify for in the 2004 Olympics in Athens? such as baseball, basketball, shooting sports, fencing, track and field? How good would there people be?

ConfederateFly said:
What sports would the CSA qualify for in the 2004 Olympics in Athens? such as baseball, basketball, shooting sports, fencing, track and field? How good would there people be?
How did I know you would have posted this?

They might be good at baseball being ex-Americans, shooting sports definitely, fencing? Maybe, track and field? Don't know

Straha

Banned
the USa in such a world would probably be good in football/soccer,american football,ice hockey and probably swimming. No baseball as it wouldn't be popular in a union minus the CSA.

First of all, let me start off by saying that it is much easier to say what wouldn't be popular than what would be (as the latter could include sports than don't even exist in OTL).

Basketball certainly wouldn't be popular as it wouldn't exist (it wasn't invented until 1891). Baseball may or may not be, after all, both sides played it during the Civil War (it was a sport, nobody would shun it because the US lost the war). Football (American) may or may not be, although I'd say it would. Neither hockey nor soccer would be that popular in the US (most CS TL's have British intervention on behalf of the CSA and both are British/Canadian sports: the British and Canadians wouldn't be too popular in the US and neither would their sports).

That said, it is impossible to predict the sports which would be liked or disliked in a Confederate timeline as some sports wouldn't exist and different ones would. Any answer to this question (other than, predictably, riflery) is nothing more than a guess.

Last edited:
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was a clever backassward way of getting people in arguments about blacks and sports (since my gut reaction was that CSA sports teams would not be open to blacks, who I suspect would still be held in some form of apartheid-like non-citizenship even today...and therefore they would suck).

Actually, as Beck observed, it's an interesting question, since many Olympic team sports in OTL are US creations which might have developed differently had the USA disintegrated.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Depends, what is the status of blacks in present day CSA? If its similar to USA then they would field teams in most sports. If its far inferior, I doubt as they would participate at all. African nations and the US guarantee a fair share of black athletes and they could not accept the possiblity of losing to one.

Its a big enough region that no particular sport would be emphasized or not. Shooting sports are a possibility, as has been mentioned, but the USA as well has a shooting heritage.

(btw shooting sports are really a very strange part of the Olympics. At least until recently they were a very lonely and difficult path, mostly limited to the very rich since monied sponsorship was both so very necessary and so very thin. That may have changed. They also are said to strangely rely a lot on actual intimidation of the contestants by each other, both on and of the course in a myriad of very subtle ways)

Now the Winter Olympics might be a trip. Think of the Jamaican bobsleders as a bunch of good ol boys :D

well Nascar wouldn't nessicarly have become a sport, seeing as how it got it's start from bootlegers racing the cops up and down US 1, witch wouldn't have been built, unless it was common unrestricted highway between the two countries, witch i don't see happening

other sports, well lets see, probably football, soccer, some basketball, proably not as big as in OTL, baseball would proably be a lot more popular than most think, but not nearly as much as OTL. hockey would proably be popular in the northern states of the US like WI, MI, MN, MA, NY, ect