So I have begun working on planning a world with a POD in 430.

During the Siege of Hippo, St. Augustine recovers from his sickness and doesn't die. Thus, when the Vandals capture the city, he is still alive. Due to Vandal religious policies, Augustine is an open critic resulting in his execution that ends up sparking a massive riot that turns into a full blown rebellion after mismanagement by the Vandals. However, after a year or two the 'Augustinians' are crushed. Genseric, however, is a smart man and understands that if the Vandals have any hope to survive in Africa, they must change their religious policy. I've considered having him simply convert to Nicean Christianity but I'm not sure.

Anyways, I am not the most knowledgable of the time period and thus I look to the forum to help me with finding peoples who could rise to become emperors in this TL as many of the emperor's we had IOTL could have never risen in the first place. Take Marcian of the Eastern Roman Empire, had he died in the campaign against the Vandals, he would have never rose to power and that would lead to a different Eastern-Hunnic interaction. Also, perhaps the events in Africa would lead to butterfly effects that means Attila never dies from a nosebleed/alcohol poisoning/assassination and goes on to ravage the East some more whilst Aetius and Valentinian III deal with their rivalry in the West. Perhaps Majorian and Ricimer end up getting themselves killed during the political infighting of the West.

If Attila is hanging around for another decade or so, that would change which tribes invade the West. Perhaps the Alemanni are successful in their invasion of Italy or the Franks never become the power they did and a Romanesque state survives in northern Gallia. Perhaps in the east the Sassanids overrun Armenia and make moves on Syria sparking a Levantine or Egyptian revolt against the Eastern Emperor.

All ideas and help that could be given is welcomed.

If ITTL the vandals control longer and more effectively North Africa (Tripolitania, Tunisia and northern Algeria) the native Berbers could be displaced towards the Atlantic coast of Morocco and from there navigate to the Atlantic islands (Madeira, Azores, Canary Islands) and eventually colonize them, and even reach America.

Also, I think that it would be interesting if ITTL Valentinian III and Theodosius II had surviving sons to succeed them on their respectives imperial thrones.

Edit: an independent Kingdom of Egypt of Coptic Christian religion could be a very interesting idea.

Last edited:
If ITTL the vandals control longer and more effectively North Africa (Tripolitania, Tunisia and northern Algeria) the native Berbers could be displaced towards the Atlantic coast of Morocco and from there navigate to the Atlantic islands (Madeira, Azores, Canary Islands) and eventually colonize them, and even reach America.

Also, I think that it would be interesting if ITTL Valentinian III and Theodosius II had surviving sons to succeed them on their respectives imperial thrones.

Edit: an independent Kingdom of Egypt of Coptic Christian religion could be a very interesting idea.

The Berbers definetly would have an opportunity to be the great colonizers of TTL. However, the Vandals' hold would not last forever. During the 700s, environmental changes would possibly lead to Berbers overthrowing the Vandals.

Sadly I don't think that's possible. Theodosius II was about to be assassinated by Zeno when he died and Valentinian III was a terrible ruler who'd probably get himself killed before he has a son.

An independent Egypt would definetly be interesting.

The Berbers definetly would have an opportunity to be the great colonizers of TTL. However, the Vandals' hold would not last forever. During the 700s, environmental changes would possibly lead to Berbers overthrowing the Vandals.

Sadly I don't think that's possible. Theodosius II was about to be assassinated by Zeno when he died and Valentinian III was a terrible ruler who'd probably get himself killed before he has a son.

But with a POD in 430 the butterflies could make Valentinian III's OTL daughters be born as males.

Here are some of my thoughts:
Due to Vandal religious policies, Augustine is an open critic resulting in his execution that ends up sparking a massive riot that turns into a full blown rebellion after mismanagement by the Vandals.
He would probably end up exiled rather than killed.
Genseric, however, is a smart man and understands that if the Vandals have any hope to survive in Africa, they must change their religious policy. I've considered having him simply convert to Nicean Christianity but I'm not sure.
Probably would cause a second rebellion, this time among the Vandals, against the king’s “philoroman tendencies”, as his grandson Hilderic found out.
Anyways, I am not the most knowledgable of the time period and thus I look to the forum to help me with finding peoples who could rise to become emperors in this TL as many of the emperor's we had IOTL could have never risen in the first place. Take Marcian of the Eastern Roman Empire, had he died in the campaign against the Vandals, he would have never rose to power and that would lead to a different Eastern-Hunnic interaction. Also, perhaps the events in Africa would lead to butterfly effects that means Attila never dies from a nosebleed/alcohol poisoning/assassination and goes on to ravage the East some more whilst Aetius and Valentinian III deal with their rivalry in the West. Perhaps Majorian and Ricimer end up getting themselves killed during the political infighting of the West.
Valentinianus III could reign longer here. Honestly I don’t think he was that terrible, he just had to handle a terrible situation inherited from his uncle and his mother. Real power was in the hands of people like Aetius, Placidia and Bonifacius. Actually I think his survival would help the empire (along with Aetius’s) since he was a member of a prestigious and well-established dynasty. It’s more easier to get deposed when you are a political nobody, appointed by a powerful Magister Militum and without any connection to your predecessor or the ruling senatorial class. Furthermore you have to keep in mind that back then (according to barbarian logic) diplomacy took place between rulers and not nation. Hence when Valentinianus died all previous agreements were considered void (at least those convenient enough to break) and the Vandals (but not only them) resumed their attacks against the empire.
perhaps the events in Africa would lead to butterfly effects that means Attila never dies from a nosebleed/alcohol poisoning/assassination and goes on to ravage the East
Ravaging the Balkans won’t cripple the East…
Perhaps in the east the Sassanids overrun Armenia and make moves on Syria sparking a Levantine or Egyptian revolt against the Eastern Emperor.
… and unless something like the civil war between Phokas and Heraclius happens, this hypothetical persian war will just remain the traditional border skirmish between frontier troops.

Chalcedonia and the conflict with the Monophysite are not a thing yet.
But with a POD in 430 the butterflies could make Valentinian III's OTL daughters be born as males.
Whoever marries Eudokia of Placida will probably become the next emperor of the West. No need to change his offspring.

So I've been thinking and with a POD in 430, that could butterfly several things.

430: POD
432 (2 years later): Marcian is killed fighting in Africa. Bonifatius defeats Flavius Aetius at Rimini and isn't mortally wounded. Aetius is killed. Bonifatius becomes the most powerful man in the West.
445 (15 years later): Bleda manages to avoid getting killed by Attila. The latter is killed and Bleda assumes total control of the Huns.

This one sound really interesting!
I’m really curious to see how Bonifacius would handle the empire for the next 10-20 years, compared to Aetius.
I'm predicting that he won't be as powerful a figure as Aetius. I also don't see him making such heavy usage of Hunnic forces as Aetius. Instead, he might use Alan forces instead giving them greater importance in the region. Perhaps following the breakdown in Roman rule, the Alans seize *Soisson instead of the Franks. Maybe in the long term France is never unified and instead its divded between the Franks in the north, the Alans in *Soisson, the Visigoths in Aquitaine and the Burgundians in the east. In regards to the Burgundians, they wouldn't have been demolished by Aetius and the Huns so they could be a stronger force with their centre shifted a bit north.

If Bleda doesn't invade France like Attila did, then perhaps that would let Bonifatius send some aid to the Britons against the Saxons. That could have its own major butterflies.

I don't know if Valentinian III would want to assassinate Bonifacius the same way he did to Aetius.

I don't know if Valentinian III would want to assassinate Bonifacius the same way he did to Aetius.
Don’t know here, but maybe the fact that Bonifacius supported Valentian from the very beginning, while Aetius initially opposed him, could favour his position. No one knows what’s going to happen next inside the imperial palace but as long as the emperor is under the influence/regency of his mother Galla, Bonifacius should be ok.