Crusader Kings III

Also they have said that the amount of people who actually play anything other than the earliest start date is pretty insignificant. So new start dates end up being a ton of work for pretty much no reward.

What's funny is that I rarely used the provided start dates, I always typed in specific dates to get to certain people, or just to see how things would play out besides the usual 'William the Conqueror invades England for the MILLIONTH time'.

But I get that they didn't want to do every possible date for CK3, but this is CRUSADER Kings and there is currently no Crusades start date. That is just weird to me.

What's funny is that I rarely used the provided start dates, I always typed in specific dates to get to certain people, or just to see how things would play out besides the usual 'William the Conqueror invades England for the MILLIONTH time'.

But I get that they didn't want to do every possible date for CK3, but this is CRUSADER Kings and there is currently no Crusades start date. That is just weird to me.
The developers have also said they very much regret the title of the franchise being Crusader Kings because of how limiting it leads to people's ideas of what the game is or should be about and how much the philosophy of not just the CK teams but of Paradox and historiography as a whole has changed in the nearly twenty years since 2004, but at this point the branding legacy is too much for them to change it.

The bloody wedding thing feels out of place and I don't really like the sound of it. Like when seduction was added and suddenly everyone is unfaithful.
It sure feels like they are adding the Red Wedding style event because of a certain series written by G.R.R.Martin that has a mod for the game in the works...

But to be fair, Martin partially inspired itself on real events like the Black Dinner to create the event. So it's not that far fecthed.

But yeah, I hope the AI will be worked so that it's an option it will only pick under very specific conditions. Otherwise, your point about seduction makes sense.
But then again, I think seduction is still a bit of problem in the game right now... As is incest (it feels way too common at times).

The bloody wedding thing feels out of place and I don't really like the sound of it. Like when seduction was added and suddenly everyone is unfaithful.

I strongly suspect that it will be like seduction, initially massively OP before being patched into a slightly more common than it should be but essentially fun mechanic.

If I was a CK3 dev I would argue for 3 starts dates:

867: Viking Age
1066: Default
1099: Aftermath of First Crusade

I strongly suspect that it will be like seduction, initially massively OP before being patched into a slightly more common than it should be but essentially fun mechanic.

769 or bust.

I want to console command my way into conquering Frankia as a bunch of pagan Saxons just for the sheer satisfaction of it. Kind of like doing a Varangian Adventure into Rome from Montaigu and kicking out the Pope.

But to be fair, Martin partially inspired itself on real events like the Black Dinner to create the event. So it's not that far fecthed.
right but that was a very unique event which was not replicated across Europe. The fact that it's a regular choice alongside "Grand Wedding" feels off. I'm optimistic that "Bloody Wedding" just means SOMEONE will be murdered at the wedding, not multiple people, perhaps based on intrigue/personality.

I like 867 and 1066, but perhaps the third one should be later. Perhaps 1187, the third crusade?

The developers have also said they very much regret the title of the franchise being Crusader Kings because of how limiting it leads to people's ideas of what the game is or should be about and how much the philosophy of not just the CK teams but of Paradox and historiography as a whole has changed in the nearly twenty years since 2004, but at this point the branding legacy is too much for them to change it.
Right but in this case, it wouldn't be limiting the game. It would be developing something which was a pivotal series of events in the time frame. The crusades were massive and affected the politics and borders of Europe and the Levant.

For me the start dates I would choose are.

one for each century.

Or just 1189, so you can go straight in as Richard the Lionheart without having to wait for Henry II to die.
I always play 1187 in CK2. Sometimes Henry II outlives Eleanor of Aquitaine, so I marry him off again. Last time netted Henry two more boys...

Saw that someone on reddit had make a CK3 COA based on House Atreides from Dune 2021 movie

ycnqf6yur6n81.png

Here the the link to the pastebin with the code to paste into your coat of arms if you want it

They've already said they wanted to reintroduce the Iron Century start.

The newest Dev Diary.

Lost of interesting stuff that's coming:
  • Vassals now have a stance based on their traits and that will affect their reaction depending on your decisions.
  • Men-at-arms will now be stationned somewhere to try and reflect garrissons. There are perks that come with it of course.
  • They've reworked the domain limit to reduce its size... Personnally think that at the end of the period you should be able to have a large desmene provided you picked the right focus. But I'm probably colored by the way the Kings of France went from having a ridiculously small desmne to basically owning two-thirds of the realm directly by the end of the timeperiod. Still, to compensate the demesne size reduction, they've made it so that you can develop your baronies more by having the option to get more building slots and thus more buildings. So smalle domains, but you can build taller.
  • Buildings rework with new buildings while the old ones have been revamped a bit.
  • Reworked personnality tooltip: now you have an explanation on what exactly how different it is for your vassal to be an Evil Blackguard or a Fearless Paragon. You also have indication on their economic behavior as well as the previously mentionned vassal stance.
  • Friends on Steam will now know what you're doing when you play the game.
  • The possibility to destroy artifcats as well as perks coming from it if you have the Aniconist tenet.
  • Improved the "Current situations" widget so you get a clearer view of what you can do.
Lots of interesting and promising stuff in here.