Crusader Kings III

Basil's eldest son Romanos inherited the Empire shortly after the above was taken and had to spend several years putting down a rebellion to install the Phokas dynasty back on the throne. After putting down the major rebellion, he and his wife, Princess Ana Bagratoni of Georgia, had four kids, Georgios, Maria, Anna and Konstantinos. Georgios was named after Ana's father and is betrothed to the daughter of the king of Hungary in a double engagement as Maria is betrothed to the son of the king of Hungary. Basil's younger of the twins, Basil, is Doux of Sicily and after three daughters finally had himself a son, also named Basil. They aren't pictured in Romanos's family photo.

unknown.png

The family ended up getting quite large....

unknown.png

And Georgios got married to Princess Kamilla of Hungary. So far they have welcomed in a baby girl.

unknown.png

And now in 1066 here are Georgios and Kamilla and their three kids, Anna, Theophano and Romanos

unknown.png

Last edited:
The family ended up getting quite large....

unknown.png

And Georgios got married to Princess Kamilla of Hungary. So far they have welcomed in a baby girl.

unknown.png

And now in 1066 here are Georgios and Kamilla and their three kids, Anna, Theophano and Romanos

unknown.png

Romanos III has been reigning for some 45 ish years since he inherited the throne at 16 from his 77 year old father, Basil II. During that time he has expanded on Basil's gains and taken back the coast of the Holy Land and launched a successful invasion of Egypt.

unknown.png

Romanos III has been reigning for some 45 ish years since he inherited the throne at 16 from his 77 year old father, Basil II. During that time he has expanded on Basil's gains and taken back the coast of the Holy Land and launched a successful invasion of Egypt.

unknown.png

Romanos III died after reigning for 55 years. During his reign the Macedonian Renaissance continued and he was able to take advantage of Fatimid disunity to conquer the Holy Land and then Egypt. With These under his control, Romanos expanded Roman authority in the Italian Peninsula, capturing Rome and reuniting all of the Pentarchy under Constantinople. However, at the age of 71 Romanos III succumbed to cancer and was succeeded by his eldest son Georgios (49 YO), pictured below with his wife, Kamilla of Hungary, and their eldest son, Romanos, Romanos's pregnant wife, and Romanos's eldest son, Basil.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Here is Dev Diary 98 of Crusader Kings III.

It's mostly talking about the content that comes for free in the patch coming alongside Fate of Iberia.

Clan rulers get a few new mechanics in their contracts. Three of those are based on Muslim laws: Ghazi (vassals are encouraged to go on Holy Wars but give less levies), Iqta (less tax and levies but better Men-at-arms synergy) and Jizya (tax non-believers, leaving you with more money but less levies). Jizya is linked to the tenet of the same name, which is called Religious Tax in other religions. So it might be possible for non-Muslim clan rulers to get it to.
More interesting for modders is that there is now an option to arrange a marriage promise as part of the vassal contract when clan. I expect modders to try to make it work outside of the Clan government and in Fantasy Total Conversions. Feels like something you should be able to set in Game of Thrones for example.

Another big addition, and one that I particularly like, is the fact there is now a new Faction in the game: Dissolution. Simply put, vassals can now push a rebellion to destroy their liege's primary title and all equivalent level. In the context of Fate of Iberia this was added to better represent the collapse of Al-Andalus, but it basically means now that big Empires have a risk of collapsing on their own. Which is huge. Dissolution factions are supposed to become more likely in situation that would foster crisis: short reigns, low cultural acceptance, war losses and unallied vassals. Popular heirs reduced the threat of having such a faction, as does having an elective succession. Vassals are also more likely to go for claimant faction if they have a claim than for the Dissolution. I must say this is an addition I particularly like because it adds a challenge to those who want to build huge Empires: you'll know have to watch out and control your expansion if you don't want to collapse like the Roman Empire. And I can't wait to see how modders will work on that faction...

Finally, among the big shots, the Dev Diary touched to new Shared Head of Faith mechanic, which I'm happy to learn is free. Sad thing though, this will only be possible via the taking of a special Rite tenet... Feels like a mistep for me. Sure it's more a feature for roleplay (gaming-wise it's more advantageous to create your own) but having to sacrifice one of your tenet slot to keep the same Head of Faith isn't ideal. Oh well, modders are probably going to find a work-around for that.
There are interesting things that come from having shared Head of Faiths though. Creating a new branch of Christiannity that has the Ecumenism doctrine for example means you'll keep the latter if you pick the Rite tenet. Islam for its part get to choose who they think is best suited for the Calpihate, whether by picking one of the existing ones or by simply claiming it for their own benefit. And I'm pretty sure modders can find others.

The rest of the changes mentionned are fairly minor by comparison (they're mostly historical adjustments). And the final part of the Dev Diary reveals the new Achievements that are coming with the release of Fates of Iberia.

Something weird:

I bought CK3 when it came out, but didn't buy the DLCs.

Despite this, I still have all the DLCs, fully playable, on my Steam account, and it says I bought them in 2020, along with the game, even though they came out much later.

I'm not complaining - sailing the seven seas is usually the only way I can play with DLCs and expansions, since I don't earn enough to be able to afford all of them - but still, weird.

Something weird:

I bought CK3 when it came out, but didn't buy the DLCs.

Despite this, I still have all the DLCs, fully playable, on my Steam account, and it says I bought them in 2020, along with the game, even though they came out much later.

I'm not complaining - sailing the seven seas is usually the only way I can play with DLCs and expansions, since I don't earn enough to be able to afford all of them - but still, weird.
You bought the Royal Edition, which included the first two immersion packs and the first expansion.

The fashion ones don't count but even if you'd got the Royal edition you shouldn't have received Iberia for free, because I got the Royal edition and I had to pay for it

The fashion ones don't count but even if you'd got the Royal edition you shouldn't have received Iberia for free, because I got the Royal edition and I had to pay for it

Huh, weird.

I guess this is one of those "it's not a bug, it's a feature" deals. :D

Same exact thing happened to me - I have no clue why but I received all subsequent DLCs including Royal Court free upon release and to my knowledge I only ever bought the Royal Edition. I was pretty confused when Royal Court dropped and I instantly had it without buying it. Didn’t question it or post about it because why ruin a good thing but interesting to see it wasn’t just me.

By the way, does the struggle mechanic pop up in places other than Iberia later in the game, or is it just limited to the peninsula?

By the way, does the struggle mechanic pop up in places other than Iberia later in the game, or is it just limited to the peninsula?
Just Iberia at the moment, though Paradox designed it to be very modable so they may be some other ones in the workshop.

Just Iberia at the moment, though Paradox designed it to be very modable so they may be some other ones in the workshop.
Hmm, I'd honestly love it if someone would stretch out the TL on CK3 by a couple centuries and add the mechanic to, say, Germany during the 30 years war.

Hmm, I'd honestly love it if someone would stretch out the TL on CK3 by a couple centuries and add the mechanic to, say, Germany during the 30 years war.

There's plenty of places that could fit that dynamic, tbh.

Romanos III died after reigning for 55 years. During his reign the Macedonian Renaissance continued and he was able to take advantage of Fatimid disunity to conquer the Holy Land and then Egypt. With These under his control, Romanos expanded Roman authority in the Italian Peninsula, capturing Rome and reuniting all of the Pentarchy under Constantinople. However, at the age of 71 Romanos III succumbed to cancer and was succeeded by his eldest son Georgios (49 YO), pictured below with his wife, Kamilla of Hungary, and their eldest son, Romanos, Romanos's pregnant wife, and Romanos's eldest son, Basil.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Map looks different, what mod is that?

Made a custom character for a restart in Castile since my Sancho Jimena game was having a glitch where all Iberian Jews were Tulanyids for some reason instead of Sephardic. Enrique de Trastamara married Matilda di Canossa of Tuscany. They make a pretty couple.

unknown.png

Made a custom character for a restart in Castile since my Sancho Jimena game was having a glitch where all Iberian Jews were Tulanyids for some reason instead of Sephardic. Enrique de Trastamara married Matilda di Canossa of Tuscany. They make a pretty couple.

unknown.png

Enrique and Matilda have 9 kids but a few of them are very model quality.

nm6imx9qzub91.png

d08ulx9qzub91.png

si8mxr9qzub91.png

l2rftu9qzub91.png

I wonder, if you're Catholic, and create another faith as a Catholic rite, can you still take part in crusades if the Pope calls one?