Crusader Kings III

Here is the second Summer Teaser.

They've basically revealed all the ethoses you will be able to pick when creating a culture. Well, technically they had previously revealed three but now we've got all of them.
So the ethoses you can choose from are:
  • Bellicose: A culture were war is central to the lives of its people. Boosts prowess, levies, Men-at-arms and Mercenaries.
  • Spiritual: A culture were faith and the divine are paramount. Boost piety and control, reduces the cost of creating new faiths.
  • Inventive: A culture that is quick to adapt and develop new technologies and ways of thinking. Boosts development, cultural fascination and gains more lifestyle xp.
  • Community: The culture values the bonds of community above everything else. Reduces construction costs and time as well as the price of mercenary, boosts opinion with close family members.
  • Courtly: Court life has been so integral to the culture that it has affected the behavior of its people: a place for everyone and everyone knows its place. Boosts prestige, and house opinion and court grandeur and reduces title creation costs.
  • Egalitarian: Considers that accepting difference is better than anihilating it. Boost cultural acceptance, vassal limit and opinion of people of different faiths and cultures.
  • Stoic: People of this culture endure everything they have to go through. Boosts disease resistance and defense, reduces stress gains and friendly casualties.
Will be interesting to see what we'll be able to do once we know every cultural traditions.

Also am starting to wonder what modders will be able to come up with in Total Conversion mods and the like... Hell, even if they don't add anything, I already see some of these ethoses fitting a few traditionnal Fantasy races.

And I'm definitely picturing people creating Communists cultures by combining the Egalitarian ethos with the Collective Lands cultural tradition.

Egalitarian seems to be more cosmopolitan then egalitarian, that said I do like it for those that rule over multi-ethnic empires. :D

Thirs summer teaser is out. Doesn't reveal much... aside from the return of minor titles and the fact they actually have an impact. You get specific events and options for them.

Here is the fourth Summer Teaser.

Once again, we get a handful of cultural traditions we will be able to pickwhen designing our own cultures. The ones in the teaser are:
  • Charitable: The people of the culture are motivated to support the less fortunate. Makes Charitable and Compassionante more common traits, give a bonus to the use of the "send gift" interaction and makes it more commonly used by the AI, and gives a slight opinion boost. Of course, you also get a malus to income.
  • Parochialism: In this culture, cities are particularly independent and competitive. It makes the constructions of cities and city buildings cheaper while allowing them to give more levies, tax and development. However, you get penalties to control and an opinion malus with Republican forms of governments.
  • Ting-meet: Apparently something exclusive to Scandinavian cultures judging by the fact the text specificially mentions it. Basically, there is no central authority in that culture so to solve disputes and make decision, an assembly of peers (the Ting-meet) is called. It allows the use of the Scandinavian succession law and makes the Brave, Gregarious, Generous and Blademaster traits give popular opinion.
  • Tribal Unity: The culture puts emphasis on communal and familial bonds, and thus on their common heritage. It essentially boosts families and dynasties: the Family Hierarch trait grants more prestige and levies, you've got more scheme power against House members, you gain or lose prestige depending on whether you grant or revoke title from House members, and there is an opinon bonus with House members but a malus with your liege.
  • Warriors of the Dry: This culture masters fighting in dry climates. In terms of traits, you will find Desert warrior more commonly and other traits will grant you dry terrain bonuses. You can also recruit specifically dry terrain commanders. You also get a bonus to supply limit and levy size in deserts and drylands.
It's actually pretty interesting to see these cultural tradition as they seem to build upon a lot of possibilities for the what we haven't been shown and the ones modders will be able to create.

Really can't wait for Dev Diaries to know more and for Royal Court to get released!

The Parochialism tradition seems almost tailor-made for the in-game northern Italian culture. :p

Too bad republics aren't playable. :'(

Here is the fourth Summer Teaser.

Once again, we get a handful of cultural traditions we will be able to pickwhen designing our own cultures. The ones in the teaser are:
  • Charitable: The people of the culture are motivated to support the less fortunate. Makes Charitable and Compassionante more common traits, give a bonus to the use of the "send gift" interaction and makes it more commonly used by the AI, and gives a slight opinion boost. Of course, you also get a malus to income.
  • Parochialism: In this culture, cities are particularly independent and competitive. It makes the constructions of cities and city buildings cheaper while allowing them to give more levies, tax and development. However, you get penalties to control and an opinion malus with Republican forms of governments.
  • Ting-meet: Apparently something exclusive to Scandinavian cultures judging by the fact the text specificially mentions it. Basically, there is no central authority in that culture so to solve disputes and make decision, an assembly of peers (the Ting-meet) is called. It allows the use of the Scandinavian succession law and makes the Brave, Gregarious, Generous and Blademaster traits give popular opinion.
  • Tribal Unity: The culture puts emphasis on communal and familial bonds, and thus on their common heritage. It essentially boosts families and dynasties: the Family Hierarch trait grants more prestige and levies, you've got more scheme power against House members, you gain or lose prestige depending on whether you grant or revoke title from House members, and there is an opinon bonus with House members but a malus with your liege.
  • Warriors of the Dry: This culture masters fighting in dry climates. In terms of traits, you will find Desert warrior more commonly and other traits will grant you dry terrain bonuses. You can also recruit specifically dry terrain commanders. You also get a bonus to supply limit and levy size in deserts and drylands.
It's actually pretty interesting to see these cultural tradition as they seem to build upon a lot of possibilities for the what we haven't been shown and the ones modders will be able to create.

Really can't wait for Dev Diaries to know more and for Royal Court to get released!
I got to wonder what traditions cultures will have? What traditions do you think Andalusian might have, or french or english and anglo-saxon. :D

and yea, the royal court is looking cooler and cooler the more I read about it. :)
The Parochialism tradition seems almost tailor-made for the in-game northern Italian culture. :p

yea, it screams northern Italian culture.

I imagine republics will be added one day though I am curious to figure out how they might be implemented in ck3 in comparison to ck2.

In Vanilla CK3 yes... I imagine we'll get our equivalent of CK2 The Republic DLC somewhere down the line though.

However, if you want to play Republics, there is a mod called Res Publica that makes Republics playable and introduces four types of Republican government:
  1. Senatorial, which to my understanding is basically a Roman-style republic. Also comes with a potential for dictatorship.
  2. Councilar republic, where the five most powerful families hold power. Comes with a dynamic system where you have to balance approval between the three orders of society: nobility, clergy and third estate.
  3. Elected ruler, which according to the mod is the closest thing to CK2's republics.
  4. Parlamentarian, which work with a bicameral system with a House of Lords and House of Commons basically. There are no such republics at the start but they can be formed via decisions.
It's a mod with a pretty good rep too from my understanding. Haven't used it myself though, but that's because I'm too used to play Feudal Lords.
I got to wonder what traditions cultures will have? What traditions do you think Andalusian might have, or french or english and anglo-saxon. :D
I'm also wondering what traditions the various culture will have but I'm pretty bad at guessing. And we've only been some of the traditions, not all of them.

There are a few indications with the teasers though, even if you have to take them with precautions.

I imagine republics will be added one day though I am curious to figure out how they might be implemented in ck3 in comparison to ck2.

In Vanilla CK3 yes... I imagine we'll get our equivalent of CK2 The Republic DLC somewhere down the line though.

I doubt CK3 will follow CK2's DLC path precisely but if you look at the first four DLC's they added unique Islamic, Byzantine, Republican and then Pagan forms of government

1920px-CK2_3YearsOf.jpg

Now this Royal Court DLC seems more like Way of Life in the sense that it adds flavour to the existing game rather than expanding who you can play as but then this time around Pagan and Islamic countries started as playable. I would expect that the next DLC will be a smaller Northern Lords equivalent for either the Islamic world or maybe East Asia. I think we'll then see Republics and maybe Theocracies added afterwards.

Always a good time when your children don't end up looking like potatoes. Here's hoping my starting character's son and his sister wife can give him some grandkids that also avoid the cursed potato looks that pop up.

unknown.png

Always a good time when your children don't end up looking like potatoes. Here's hoping my starting character's son and his sister wife can give him some grandkids that also avoid the cursed potato looks that pop up.

unknown.png

As an update, Fulad pictured in the quoted image eventually inherited Persia as its Padeshah. He eventually had a son, also named Fulad, pictured below with his wife.

unknown.png

His son predeceased him, but not before having an heir, Fulad II, who is pictured below with his wife and their son, also named Fulad...

unknown.png

Unfortunately, Fulad II just fought a 3-year long civil war against relatives who are trying to claim the Persian imperial throne. During the battle of Rayy, the imperial heir, Fulad died, continuing the tradition set by his grandfather of predeceasing his father and leaving a toddler, also named Fulad, as the new heir.

I don't have a picture of the toddler Fulad, but here is his father, now dead, and his half Persian half Burmese mom, who is also his father's great aunt.

unknown.png

The Padeshah's and their heirs have all been rather nice looking so here is hoping that the new toddler heir continues the tradition.

After a reign of 39 glorious years, Fulad II passed away and was succeeded by his grandson-cousin Fulad III. Fulad II became Saoshyant, seizing back all Persian Imperial lands and re-establishing the Zoroastrian High Preisthood. He led Persia to defeat both the Caliphate and the Byzantine Empire. He will be missed.

unknown.png

And here is a photo of Fulad III and his semi-distantly related wife. She is half Persian and half Han Chinese. They currently have three sons, Dariush, Khosrau and Shapur, and one daughter, Javaneh. Their children are then a mix of Persian, Indian, Afghan, Burmese and Han Chinese heritages. Dariush, the eldest son, is a giant and at 12 years old is as tall as his father. While Fulad III was not a giant, both of his sisters are, so he must have been a carrier.

unknown.png