Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

So a very interesting game has led to a very weird problem. I've been role-playing as a Welsh dude who becomes obsessed with the legend of King Arthur (yes I realize that is rather anachronistic given that this is pre-Geoffrey of Monmouth). So he changes with name to Arthur Pendragon and sets out to return the British Isles to the rule of the True Britons (i.e. the Welsh), giving his kids very Arthurian names (Merlin, Lancelot, Galahad, etc.) along the way. Things were going according to plan for awhile, with Arthur uniting Wales and then invading Ireland to build up a resource base for him (or more likely his son) to eventually invade England itself. But then while I was sitting around waiting for a truce to expire, the Pope declared a Crusade and pretty much all of my vassals up and joined it. At first Arthur regarded it as a distraction from his main goal, but after a year or so he gave in to peer pressure and sent all the armies he could muster to the holy land. Much to his surprise, this distraction became a very lucrative one, as when the dust settled, Arthur became King of Jerusalem.

But here's the problem: my favorite son, Prince Lancelot, who I wanted to be my heir (Wales is an elective monarchy) was captured by the Caliph and he just won't let him go. The matter is further complicated by the fact that the Caliph himself is my prisoner. One would think we could work out some sort of prisoner exchange: the Caliph's freedom for Lancelot's or something, but the game has no mechanism to do that. I did a quick search of Paradox's forum to see if anyone had ever had a similar problem and the only advice anyone had was to spam the prisoner with gifts in hopes that he would eventually have the riches to ransom himself. I'm going to try that. There really should be an option in the game that would allow someone to pay the ransom for a close relative, or at least force a prisoner to release his own prisoners. Until I find a solution I'm just going to have to come to terms with terrible-stats Merlin or the still underaged Galahad as my heir.

I think that option does exist. It's either on Lancelot's, the Caliph's, or the Caliph's regent's (as he's in jail) page, where you can ask to ransom Lancelot. If you can afford it, the AI usually accepts, and if he holds no lands, he shouldn't need more than 10 gold.

Also, quick question, what's the ransom for a Caliph?

I think that option does exist. It's either on Lancelot's, the Caliph's, or the Caliph's regent's (as he's in jail) page, where you can ask to ransom Lancelot. If you can afford it, the AI usually accepts, and if he holds no lands, he shouldn't need more than 10 gold.

Also, quick question, what's the ransom for a Caliph?

Ransom for a Caliph is 250.

I checked on all three screens and there was no option. Then I ransomed the Caliph (he was happy to pay) to see if that would help. But the option still wasn't there. I gifted Lancelot most of my treasury and then waited a few months to see if he would use the money to buy himself free, but he didn't. Looks like he's just stuck.

So I wasn't paying close enough attention while I was pressing a claim to the Kingdom of Scotland, and my heir (an otherwise excellent, intelligent, many-virtued son) has been possessed by demons, and just married a Norwegian lesbian princess. And my other male heir died of the pox. :(

Yeah, I was playing with the fairly unambitious goal of reuniting Ireland. Now I'm king of Jerusalem, while there are still counties in Ireland that are independent.

Should teach me to play easy mode.

Ransom for a Caliph is 250.

I checked on all three screens and there was no option. Then I ransomed the Caliph (he was happy to pay) to see if that would help. But the option still wasn't there. I gifted Lancelot most of my treasury and then waited a few months to see if he would use the money to buy himself free, but he didn't. Looks like he's just stuck.

I just realized, that option only exists for your own character.

Does Lancelot own any land? See if you can grant him a landed title (county or higher), save and reload as him, and then the option should be there.

You'll have to unpause for about a week in order for the message to reach the Caliph, try and keep your kingdom in as much of a 'stable state' as possible to ensure the AI doesn't get up to any wacky hijinx while you're playing as Lancelot.

How do you get all the little people to like the new ruler and keep them all happy so they don't revolt? Not had time to learn much, been able to unite most of Ireland before it fell apart to succession so... any advice?

Fell apart as the local rulers declared independence and then I had the obvious problem of family, but I understand that one and not exactly what I did wrong, but the general principle.

How do you get all the little people to like the new ruler and keep them all happy so they don't revolt? Not had time to learn much, been able to unite most of Ireland before it fell apart to succession so... any advice?

Fell apart as the local rulers declared independence and then I had the obvious problem of family, but I understand that one and not exactly what I did wrong, but the general principle.

It's inevitable that some civil war will erupt during succession; the key is minimizing its effects.

There are numerous effects which you will have minimal control over, barring some extreme measures, such as character traits and reign length. Some characters will have better civil wars than others, essentially.

Now: Useful advice
If your ruler is maimed, falls seriously ill, or is old, you need to start stockpiling gold. There are 2 reasons: 1) After your ruler dies, your new ruler needs to send gifts to ally your vassals, especially the unruly ones, in order to improve their opinion of you and preclude revolts. The effectiveness varies, but in general, you can expect opinion increases of at least 20, hopefully more. 2) Some vassals will revolt anyways, so any leftover gold should be sent immediately to them.

Next, examine why your vassals dislike you. Generally, it'll be short reign, and the gift will be sufficient to increase their like. Others will want duchies from you, which unless you have a kingdom title, and then, only if you suffer -30 or more from too many held duchies, should you grant. Some, however, want "control of the county/barony of x," which means they are rightful overlord of one of your vassals or territories. If it's a vassal or a barony, you can safely transfer the vassalage of that count/baron to your lord, or give that barony to that lord. You not only erase that penalty, but you get a bonus for giving them it. As they are your de jure vassals, you still get most of the benefits. If you own a county, I suggest you not give it even if they want control, unless you have too many holdings.

Also, to the worst vassals, give your honorary titles. By worst, I mean, most likely to rebel/most powerful. They are the riskiest, and if they do rebel, the honorary titles immediately revert to you.

This rarely if ever totally eliminates vassal rebellions, but it minimizes the risk. Hope it helps.

I have already gotten fairly bored of Prince and Thane (Silly, silly me.), and CKII+ doesn't cut it for me, because Wallachia is quickly becoming a new pet peeve of mine. Since I'm not exactly new at modding the clausewitz engine, I decided to throw some mods together and make my own. It's turned out to be a nice mixture, but to replicate it you'd need to know how to add entrees to files and combine disparate ones. However, I feel I may as well list off the mods I used, since they might prove fun for some of you.
-Somewhat More Historical Map mod
-Mazdayasna Zarathushtrish mod
-Armoiries Arko Pack
-Are You A God mod
-Friends&Foes mod
-Better Looking Characters mod

Does anyone else have any recommendations for small-ish mods?

Paradox Interactive said:
The last gasp of the Roman Empire is in your hands, dear leader.

NEW YORK – August 28, 2012 – Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome is a new expansion which will breathe a dose of hot, spicy, Mediterranean fresh air into the deliciously dark world of the critically acclaimed strategy/RPG, Crusader Kings II. The Byzantine Empire is receiving some tender loving care from Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio with the new expansion pack, which will add a wealth of features to the game and build upon Crusader Kings' glory.

In the rich politics of Byzantium, you'll find your cranky and disgruntled vassals split into factions, which will band together in revolt against your rule (they're getting smarter)! Thankfully, your generals have improved to match them. Legacy of Rome introduces Leader Focus, with generals' skills carrying more importance than ever before. This may prove useful if you have any generals that are (I) competent and (II) not plotting to drown you in a lake.

As for the wealth of features, let's talk about wealth! You'll be able to appoint your very own Orthodox patriarch instead of depending on that miserable old patriarch of Constantinople, plus you'll have greater control over where you demand levies from your vassals, and, of course, indulge in new, Byzantine-specific events and decisions. You'll need your regent to be at the top of their game, so it's a good thing there are now Self-Improvement ambitions for them! It's almost as if not everybody in the kingdom is out to get you.

The last gasp of the Roman Empire is in your hands, dear leader. Try not to screw it up.

This second expansion pack for Crusader Kings II arrives Q4 2012 on all major digital download portals for the suggested retail price of 9,99 USD.

Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome Main features:
New Faction System: Join a royal faction and use your allies in the party to enhance your strength and tear down rivals
Raise Standing Armies: You will now be able to use retinues to have standing armies in your domain: the size of which is determined by technology
Experience Factional Revolts: No more easily defeated rebellions. Disgruntled vassals will now band together in revolt against your rule through their faction
Appoint Orthodox Patriarchs: Orthodox kingdoms and empires can now control their own heads of religion and their powers, instead of being dependent on the patriarch of Constantinople
Streamlined Mobilization: You will always raise a single, larger levy from your direct vassal; no need to worry about the opinions of the lower vassals
Leader Focus on Combat: Appoint your generals wisely, their traits and skills are now of vital importance on the field of battle. More commander traits are now added to increase the importance of your choice of military leaders
Byzantium Comes Alive: New sets of decisions and events specifically designed with the Byzantine Empire in mind
Improve your ruler: You can now actively strive to improve your skills or traits through the new Self-Improvement Ambitions

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Please tell me that system will be enacted automatically when you form a new Empire. That would be awesome.

Speaking of this game, I started a game up as Ulster, two generations and several hours later I rule Ireland, Scotland, and Galica; my son is duke of Deubarth and a friend is duke of gwynedd, my eldest has a claim on Northumberland so pretty soon I'll be making inroads into England, which is currently in a gigantic civil war so I should stomp through rather easily.

Speaking of gigantic civil wars, France, the Holy Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire are all each individually in a Holy European Clusterf*ck, with no end in sight. Somehow, each side is fighting its own civil wars, whilst attempting to press claims on sections of each of the other empires, it's ridiculous. I'm not sure how it started, but it was probably some fool in the Balkans. My sister, the current Queen of France is trying to get me involved in its little corner of said FUBAR situation, but I'm like: Um, hell no.

Problem is, my grandson has inherited one of the duchies involved in this little seven years war come early. Apparently between my marrying my son to that genius with familial ties to the HRE; she somehow managed to acquire herself a duchy. Probably cause of that high ass intrigue stat she had. Anyhoo, she died of consumption, her son inherited, and now I'm involved in that little piece of crap. Seriously considering just assassinating my grandson, revoking the claim, then handing it right back to the HRE.

Spain has almost entirely fallen to the Muslims. It's basically myself (Galica) and Navarra holding out against the horde. Thinking I might have to marry some of my kids out to the infidels to keep the peace in my Spanish holdings. At least until I can betray them and conquer Hispania for myself. :cool:

My second son from my second marriage is now duke of Novgorod, inheriting it from his mother. He's started up a war with Sweden because he is a moron. He wants my help but f*ck that, just gonna make him stronger, spend craploads of money, and then he's gonna try and press his claim on my throne using his eastern european base.

South Italy belongs to the muslims.

That's the state of the world in my game. Britannia is being brought to heel under my glorious rule; war rages from France to Russia, and the reach of Islam creeps slowly forward.

Yonatan

Banned
Ah, of course, first a DLC for Muslims, now a DLC for the Byzantines. but is there a DLC for playable Republics? nooooo... its not like mods havent already unlocked Muslims and Pagans and massively expanded on everything else yet Republics are still unplayable...

Goddamnit I want my playable Republic of Venice!!! why most you keep it from me?! why?!?! :(:mad:

:p

Tellus

Banned
Not sure if anyone's into AAR, but I hadnt written one in a long time and since Ive been having a pretty interesting Latin Empire game, I decided to give it a shot.

I'm not an amazing writer, but I can fake it, sort of :D

If you want to have a look, here it is. (Paradox AAR forum link)

Future updates will be like... weekly (they take awhile to do with the screenies and all) and depend on whether anyone wants more or not ;)

I think I just had one of the biggest turn around in battles ever. I stated a new game as the Early of Surrey and immediately raised my troops to go support King Harold. I managed to raise just under 600 men and followed the English Army north to Chester where the Norwegian army waited. All together the English army had 10675 men, while the Norwegians had 8575.

We won the Battle of Halton killing 5341 of Norway's army. King Harold led the attackers in this battle, but in the next two that came I was given command and wiped out what remained of the enemy army. That's when news reached me of the worse kind. London had fallen and Surrey was under siege. The Norman Invasion had finally begun. The English army immediately headed south. The English army was now only 7978 in strength. My own troops numbered only 350. The Norman army number 10640 men. Before the two forces met Surrey fell.

So with nothing left to lose I marched with Kings Harold's army to Oxford where the war for England would be decided. Outside the city of Reading the Norman attacked. In the first phase we lost just under 3000 men. But then suddenly, something changed. The lines met and somehow we held. When we were losing hundreds suddenly we were losings 10s of men while they lost thousands. The result is this...

ck2_1.png

Ah, of course, first a DLC for Muslims, now a DLC for the Byzantines. but is there a DLC for playable Republics? nooooo... its not like mods havent already unlocked Muslims and Pagans and massively expanded on everything else yet Republics are still unplayable...

Goddamnit I want my playable Republic of Venice!!! why most you keep it from me?! why?!?! :(:mad:

:p
I wanna be a military order. >.<

Yaay, what a thread!

I played as Poland several times and once as Novgorod, before getting immersed completely in the "A Game of Thrones" mod.

As Novgorod, it took me 150 years to form Rus due to lots of pissed off estranged relatives and relatives from a middle of nowhere and a few wars with the neighboring Cumans. Also, I had a completely Pagan north.

If only succession weren't bugged... it can mess many a great game.