Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Sweet... Not only can you revive the Macedonian Empire, but you can Crown an Antipope?! this game is absolutely brilliant!

Quick question about crusades... Does that mean you could potentially have bands of Unruly Crusaders rampaging through your territory as they make their way to the holy lands?
Nope. That's not a mechanic in the game. There is a rare Fourth Crusade analogue though (a crusade for Constantinople), which may fire or not, depending on the circumstances.

huh. I was reading about 'Traits', could you perhaps explain 'desirable' and ' undesirable' traits?
Every character has traits. There is a list of them in the Wiki. Desirable traits are usually the ones that give the most stats. There are also sins and virtues (e.g. gluttonous and temperate, lustful and chaste, deceitful and honest etc.).

Nope. That's not a mechanic in the game. There is a rare Fourth Crusade analogue though (a crusade for Constantinople), which may fire or not, depending on the circumstances.

Every character has traits. There is a list of them in the Wiki. Desirable traits are usually the ones that give the most stats. There are also sins and virtues (e.g. gluttonous and temperate, lustful and chaste, deceitful and honest etc.).
[Breaths a sigh of relief when realises that crusades aren't going to destroy all my hard work]

Cool, I will check it out

That's not a problem if you are the Pope.

What custom religion will you make?
Steam Community :: Guide :: How to become I am the Senate!

Jokes aside, I'm not really sure. Infact I'm kind of New to CKii. Before you post I didn't even know you Could Make a religion!

Deleted member 123260

Jokes aside, I'm not really sure. Infact I'm kind of New to CKii. Before you post I didn't even know you Could Make a religion!

You actually can only make a religion in CK3. That's what I was talking about.

That will only be a feature in Crusader Kings 3 (unless you own the Holy Fury DLC on CK2, which allows you to reform a Pagan faith from a pool of possible doctrines).

Deleted member 123260

Hard to say atm without all the tenets. What ideas do you have?

I already gave some of my own. I'm going to find a way to make the most heretical religion possible (i.e. changing the crime doctrines to make them all permissible so same-sex relations, deviancy, witchcraft, adultery, and kinslaying are all allowed, allowing for polyamorous marriage, freedom to divorce whenever you desire, unrestricted marriage, bastardry are instantly a part of their fathers/mothers families, clerical marriage, etc.). It's going to be difficult but I think it'll be worth it overall. In hindsight, alot of this stuff is pretty liberal overall.

What custom faiths are you guys going to make?
Will depend exactly on what I can change in the religion, what I start with and most importantly what I want to do.

In CK2, when playing as a Pagan and planning for Reformation, I generally tried to shape the faith around the unique doctrine each Reformed Pagan faith could have, basing myself more on the text that the effects For example, Zunism' unique doctrine Dawnbreakers talks about "the undeniable authority of the sun and its favored bloodline", so I tend to reform Zunism into a Dogmatic religion with a Temporal head and picked either Ancestor Veneration or Stability as the second doctrine because both fit with the idea. When playing Slavics, their unique doctrine read "All the Children of Perun will come together, sharing a new harmonious understandings of the gods so that we can live in peace and prosperity with our neighbors": this thus made me want to make Slavicism Cosmpolitan, Syncretic and with Autonomous head of religion to reflect an idea of tolerance.

Now, the Faith system in CK3 looks even more flexible but I think depending on what I'll be playing as I might still try to change things according in a Roleplaying way like I did with Pagan Reformation in CK2. Alternatively, it's possible there will be a few runs where I just alter the religion to make it more egalitarian: I already have a tendency to push Status of Women laws in CK2. You could also have runs where I change nothing at all.

And of course I don't exclude the idea of just creating my personnal sex cult for shits and giggles.

I started playing again the other day for the first time in a long time. At first I was having trouble deciding who to play, but then I saw that end screen note about the Babenbergers, noticed (in the course of playing the Khazars) that they existed as early as 769, and decided to see if I couldn't make them more prestigious and well-known rather than just a footnote for the "slightly better known" von Babenbergs. I started out as the Count of Worms in 769; he only lived a few years, but his primary successor ended up living until like 71, reigning for over 60 years, from something like 773 to 829. In the process, he exploited the relatively high wealth of Worms to first reunite the Babenberger patrimony (which was previously divided between himself and his brother), then forced his nominal feudal superior, the duke of Franconia, to release him from his obligations, became the Duke of Hesse, and defeated the Prince-Bishop of Mainz to obtain Mainz and Frankfurt. I was a great customer for the admittedly somewhat ahistorically early Swiss mercenaries. He then got a ceremonial title from the King of East Francia (that he kept through two generations), was consistently on the council, and ended up with a mountain of prestige (over 3000!) considering he started as a count. Starting goal: achieved! Now to become King of Germany and Emperor of Germania..

Unfortunately, his son and successor is...not the greatest. There wasn't any problem with splitting up the patrimony due to the previous duke's institution of seniority succession, but the son was a stupid cow: dull and fat, with poor stats and no good education. Oh well, I imagine he leaves the running of the duchy up to his (actually fairly good) Council while he parties and drinks (I set the Carousing focus, because it just fit). Given the excellent income my demesne produces, I've built up a massive savings reserve and am focusing on upgrading my holdings and possibly building new ones in the future. This whole generation is rather disappointing, because his sister is also dull and, IIRC, got caught cheating and received the nickname "the Unfaithful" (and then my main king--the one who reigned for 60+ years--caught her cheating again with the goldsmith he hired to make a set of Crown Jewels for the duchy...). Maybe the grandchildren...

In the wider world, Charles became known as "son of the Devil" instead of "the Great," and completely failed at invading Saxony, preventing the Umayyads from consolidating control over Spain, or forming the Empire of Francia or the Holy Roman Empire. He did, however, do what the Karlings do best and had a lot of sons after creating a lot of royal titles, so that everything got split up quite nicely and there have been several wars over who will rule what (in particular, there was a very lengthy war between East and Middle Francia on the issue). Eventually Pomerania defeated Saxony (allowing East and West Francia to pluck some portions), only to convert to Catholicism and Widukind to then revolt and kick everyone's butt with his event troops. He (somehow) managed to get control of the province of Baden and, more importantly, completely conquered Frisia for Saxony, including the province of Zeeland. So the chances of a Germanic reformation look relatively good (indeed, at the moment Germanic has a higher moral authority than Catholicism). To wrap up "what's happening in Europe," a lot of the "near" pagan realms (Pannonia, Bohemia, etc.) have undergone mass conversion, even as the Byzantine Empire has utterly imploded in the face of the Shia Caliphate's event armies, to more or less the 1081 point or lower. So that may trigger crusades relatively soon.

Farther east, I had set all of the steppe folks to "random," and apparently they all took that as an invitation: Seljuk and Sabuktigin and Genghis freaking Khan have all shown up and started wreaking havoc on the eastern side of the map. Well, mostly Genghis Khan; Seljuk started off strong but stalled out facing the still-strong Abbasids (even though the Shia Caliphate emerged in Mesopotamia), and Sabuktigin was recent enough that it's not clear how well he'll do for now. Maybe I'll do "delayed random" next time. The Palas have united most of the Bengal Empire, though not all of it. The Zoroastrian satrapies have all been annihilated, so things aren't looking good for them (I'll have to do a game as them sometime, maybe after I finish this one). All in all: it's a mess.

One question for you all: on the wiki it tends to imply that leveling up in a society is quick and easy, but I found it slow and difficult while I was playing the Khazars. It seemed that I didn't really get that much renown, and I was never really able to get past level 2 or so even on relatively long-lived characters and even when I tried to quickly address the missions the lodge leader would give you. Is this anyone else's experience? If not, how do you go about leveling up relatively quickly?

I played some more of the Babenbergers and, to be honest, kind of lost interest after the stupid cow died. The stupid cow himself was a lot more fun than I expected because he got invited into Lucifer's Own and then did basically all the Satanic stuff, murder parties with his sister (who was also a satanist), orgies with his sister, defiling temples with his sister...all that stuff. It went pretty well until I accepted and fulfilled a mission to spawn the Dark Child, who showed up and started murdering all of her siblings, as usual...except that (for whatever reason) the game spawned her in as a bastard with her mother's dynasty, not her father's (that is, mind). I have Seniority succession, so it is impossible for her to inherit. So it's being a pain in the neck. Compound that with how ridiculously fast cultures and religions are shifting, and it's just not fun anymore. I might get back to it sometime, or I might not.

I did a new game as Sorkhab Bavandid, too. After an initial mad rush to secretly convert to Islam and then form the Kingdom of Daylam, things slowed way down. I was actually really successful running the secret cult, to the point where when I went public the caliph himself was exposed as a secret Zoroastrian (destroying the caliphate), but it didn't stick very well, I accidentally joined a rebellion against him and he wasn't able to successfully deal with the numerous Muslim subordinates during his time on the throne, and ended up getting succeeded by an actual Muslim relatively quickly (who recreated the caliphate). Fortunately the Shi'a caliphate rose up shortly afterwards; unfortunately, even after having Mesopotamia taken away they're still ridiculously powerful, and I'm having trouble expanding within the realm (mostly because I can't seem to get claims and the neighbors I have de jure claims on are tributaries of the caliph). Sorkhab's son was fun because he turned out to have quite good stats and joined the Hermites. I got fairly along the Learning/Astronomy chain, but unfortunately he died of camp fever before I could finish. Then his son came to the throne and turned out to be another of Lucifer's Own, which wasn't as fun this time, but he didn't last too long before his penchant for picking fights he couldn't win (mostly because he was sick; he actually had quite a good personal combat skill, once you subtracted temporary modifiers) caught up with him. His son turned out to have cancer, so hopefully he'll die soon and I'll get my Silk Road province back so that I can roll in cash again.

(Oh, and Harun al-Rashid bit the dust pretty quickly...)

I'm not sure if I'll keep playing that one or start over (again), to be honest.

Here's a question for the audience (and the mods, if any read this thread): If I was to start posting an AAR for this game, which forum should I put it in? This one would be the obvious place, but you could make an argument for Fandom AH or even maybe Media and Fandom?

(I suppose Before 1900, too, but the game is too unrealistic to fit in that, I think...)

I wish I'd had an easier time finding the rule that non-independent electors don't vote in elections unless they're vassals of the title in question. That would have led to some different decisions in distributing titles.

Here's a question for the audience (and the mods, if any read this thread): If I was to start posting an AAR for this game, which forum should I put it in? This one would be the obvious place, but you could make an argument for Fandom AH or even maybe Media and Fandom?

(I suppose Before 1900, too, but the game is too unrealistic to fit in that, I think...)
The paradox forums?