Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Yea, with that I agree. I am curious though PDX apparently said pagans will play significantly different in ck3 compared to ck2. any ideas what that might be like?
I don’t know since I rarely played as pagans in CK2. But if I have to guess I would say that they are going to mix the current pagan reformation system we have in CK2 with the new “prophet” mechanic. Something available for both Pagans and Christians to reform their faith/create new heresies. And from what I understand this new system will be heavily tied to characters and their focus of life. You will have to follow a precise spiritual path and only then you can reform your faith, at least that's my guess.

Last edited:
Iconophile scum. Isaurians or nothing.
I really like the Isaurians and the late-antiquity feeling you can still breath in the VIII century, but unfortunately I don't think CK2 was (and CK3 will be) apt to simulate it. Maybe one day we will get the late roman games we deserve. Also give me back my icons, how else am I supposed to reach salvation?

I really like the Isaurians and the late-antiquity feeling you can still breath in the VIII century, but unfortunately I don't think CK2 was (and CK3 will be) apt to simulate it. Maybe one day we will get the late roman games we deserve. Also give me back my icons, how else am I supposed to reach salvation?

By worshiping Jupiter, Minerva, Juno and the rest?

After all for centuries the city of Rome remained unsaked but not long after Rome removed the alter dedicated to the goddess of victory, did the city get sake! coincidence? I think not. take that Christians :p

that actually makes me wonder how orthodoxy will be repersented in ck3 and what could be done to improve on it from ck2? :)

By worshiping Jupiter, Minerva, Juno and the rest?

After all for centuries the city of Rome remained unsaked but not long after Rome removed the alter dedicated to the goddess of victory, did the city get sake! coincidence? I think not. take that Christians :p

Right there Court chaplain, that’s the guy.

that actually makes me wonder how orthodoxy will be repersented in ck3 and what could be done to improve on it from ck2? :)

Hope a thousand times better, the only reason I never converted to Catholicism as the Romans was because I hated the idea of the emperor subjected to the Pope. That and the power of excommunicating anyone I didn’t like. If they want to improve that they need to add way more interactions between emperor and patriarch/patriarchs, emperor and pope/crusaders, main orthodox empire and outlying orthodox kingdoms and so on. We need to feel the need to preserve our autonomy from a centralized church, to please the popular piety, to convene Ecumenical Council to preserve the Orthodox way and many other things. It can’t just be the “I convert to whatever religion I want, now do the same or die in my dungeon” thing we have already seen in CK2. Hope to see this in the game but the fact that they plan to make everything playable from start makes me think we will only have the most basic features at start that can be shared by any religious group in the game.

Playing my first CKII game as the Duke of Mumu and I've just won the crusade for Egypt!

20191027144114_1.jpg

Here's the Nephew, Dìmmae, who would later beat back a Jihad on a front and a holy war on another.

20191027144159_1.jpg

You know, since they've said there will be one hell of a difference between peasant levies and noble armies in CK3 I wonder if they could implement a pop system, too - nothing too fancy, just something based on Adalberon's tripartite division, to keep with the medieval theme of the game; the laboratores are upset? Higher risk of peasant revolt. The bellatores are upset? Higher risk of court intrigue. The oratores are upset? The Pope is going to excommunicate your ass for sure.

You know, since they've said there will be one hell of a difference between peasant levies and noble armies in CK3 I wonder if they could implement a pop system, too - nothing too fancy, just something based on Adalberon's tripartite division, to keep with the medieval theme of the game; the laboratores are upset? Higher risk of peasant revolt. The bellatores are upset? Higher risk of court intrigue. The oratores are upset? The Pope is going to excommunicate your ass for sure.

That kind if existed in the original ck

New game in the After the End mod. Catholic duke of Calumet, and the Duchy of Outer Chicago. A Catholic lord surrounded by raving Rust Cultists.

Guys rip the the game of thrones mod devs, some of the devs confirmed they will not be working on the ck3 version (ck 2 will still be worked on).

Pour one out for them, been constantly developing a mod for 7 years, dedication right there.

Guys rip the the game of thrones mod devs, some of the devs confirmed they will not be working on the ck3 version (ck 2 will still be worked on).

Pour one out for them, been constantly developing a mod for 7 years, dedication right there.

thats perfectly fair. The game hasn't even come out yet. I imagine that there will be another game of thrones mod for it. But until the game comes out, its probably not that good to start planning a mod team at all IMO.

I'm still making up my Mind on do I or do I not add CK III to my Paradox List on Steam when it is released [I just don't see why Paradox are doing the Medieval Age again and not beginning afresh with a totally new era] still no release date for CK III just yet.

Looking on the Iron Century Map I noticed immediately the presence of the Lighthouse of Alexandria [hadn't that been destroyed by then?] and other Wonders which weren't included initially so I'm pleased they're there, but why wasn't the Kaba in the Great Mosque of Mecca, the place to which hundreds of thousands from all over the world come on an annual pilgrimage every year, still conspicuous by its absence? Strange.

This could, potentially, be my last new CK II game before the release of CK III and I am debating whether or not I want to give it a shot at playing as a King, despite the fact that has so far never gone well for me, or as a Duke or Count...potentially the Normans in France with the Iron Century start date or the Visigoths in Spain, or as the Tibetans on the edge of the map with the Charlemagne start date...the trouble with starting anew on this game is I am spoiled for choice as to who to play as ~ just so many fascinating characters during this time period!

To be fair, decadence made it less then fun. I never played as Muslims very much because of it.
More to the point muslims have not had a major change to them since sword of islam while Christianity has reworked many times.

The biggest changes to islam in recent time is giving the umayyad iron century empire title that says caliph of cordoba, and thr umayyads and abbasids getting custom coats of arms, that no else can use even though its the shahada which everyone used.

Hope a thousand times better, the only reason I never converted to Catholicism as the Romans was because I hated the idea of the emperor subjected to the Pope. That and the power of excommunicating anyone I didn’t like
Better option is converting to Catholicism, setting up an anti-pope and then press him into the Papal seat. Using mercenaries and retinues the war’s over in a month. Long before anyone can respond. Then you have the Pope as a vassal, and can excommunicate anyone you please. Plus take part in crusades to stop the Western Europeans mucking things up.

Better option is converting to Catholicism, setting up an anti-pope and then press him into the Papal seat. Using mercenaries and retinues the war’s over in a month. Long before anyone can respond. Then you have the Pope as a vassal, and can excommunicate anyone you please. Plus take part in crusades to stop the Western Europeans mucking things up.
Probably the most logical thing to do but I’d rather have a realistic medieval simulator this time than having the Roman emperor sail to Italy, kick the Pope and enforce his authority over the entire Western Christian world.

What’s the point of Orthodoxy then?

Probably the most logical thing to do but I’d rather have a realistic medieval simulator this time than having the Roman emperor sail to Italy, kick the Pope and enforce his authority over the entire Western Christian world.

What’s the point of Orthodoxy then?
A question for the ages. :p

but I tend to start with the Isaurians or Makedonians so the Schism wasn’t even a thing yet.

A question for the ages. :p

but I tend to start with the Isaurians or Makedonians so the Schism wasn’t even a thing yet.
Well the Isaurians are almost certainly gone in CK3, and while the Makedonians will still be there, the majority of the game will cover the post schism period though, according to my professor, there shouldn’t be a real distinction between East and West until the XII/XIII century. Lets see how Paradox will handle this.

By the way, for anyone interested, Paradox Halloween sale is here.