Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Sorry to bother you, but I have a question - is it still relevant to make mods for the Second Game of the series?
Yes. CK2 has basically all of the large mods, and CK3, like all PDX games at release, is going to take time and DLC before it's really fleshed out enough to stand on it's own merit and get a comparable modding scene.

Yes. CK2 has basically all of the large mods, and CK3, like all PDX games at release, is going to take time and DLC before it's really fleshed out enough to stand on it's own merit and get a comparable modding scene.
That, and CK2's probably going to keep a large fanbase for a while : I don't think every PDX gamer switches from the older number in the series to the new one immediately.
Plus, it's not like modders will not necessarilly want to try to see how much they could "break" CK2 before going to CK3.

Sorry to bother you, but I have a question - is it still relevant to make mods for the Second Game of the series?
At the moment I think CKII, with all its expansions and mods, is just a better game than CKIII. It’s just had so many years of work. Eventually CKIII will be better but it isn’t there yet.

I’m rather shocked by the lackluster post-launch support of CK3 so far. The only true new mechanic was an unfinished version of the Ruler Designer, which should have been there since launch, though it was thankfully free. Dev diaries are slow to come, and patches are even rarer. The game has been out for almost six (6!) months, with barely any new content or DLC roadmap.

I’m rather shocked by the lackluster post-launch support of CK3 so far. The only true new mechanic was an unfinished version of the Ruler Designer, which should have been there since launch, though it was thankfully free. Dev diaries are slow to come, and patches are even rarer. The game has been out for almost six (6!) months, with barely any new content or DLC roadmap.
Weirder still given all indications are that the launch of CK3 was very successful - for example, to be a bit contrary to Yorel here, most prominent CK2 mods (at least that were still being worked on at all) quickly jumped to CK3.

Guys. Covid.

Tell me again why it's weird that the company is moving more slowly when they're all working remotely and with greater difficulty than usual?

Is it possible for Eastern families to Westernise in CK II? I'm trying to think of a way to unlock the "British Raj" achievement and I am curious.

I've also been doing a lot of observer games as I am attempting a medieval alt history at the moment; so far I have the Third Crusade pretty much as it went in OTL, and no name for the timeline other than "segments," that is.

Also I have just downloaded Holy Fury.

I've been doing my own Komneniad. Alexios and Ioannes have done quite well at recapturing Anatolia and snagging parts of Italy and the Levant. Additionally, a Greco-Norman offshoot in the form of a de Hauteville bastard branch called the Gyiskardos dynasty has done quite well after Alexios granted them the Opsikion theme. They captured the Anatolikon and Paphlagonia.

ck2_18.png

ck2_20.png

ck2_21.png

ck2_23.png

And here is some of the Gyiskardos expansion within the empire. Their current head is married to Ioannes's sister.
Founder Konstantinos Gyiskardos (Constantine De Hauteville)
ck2_19.png

His son Tankredos (Tancred) who is married to Ioannes's sister and has a son with her named Voimoundos (Bohemond)
ck2_22.png

Decided to go back to playing a Shattered World game of CK2 I had started a while ago. I had stopped because I kinda got distracted by other games (notably CK3) but I felt the need to go back to it and finish it to give it a proper send-off... And also because I'm starting to wonder if I won't turn that into a Grand Campaign by using the save converter to continue in EU4 (even if I don't have all of the latter's DLC). Just for fun.

Anyway, suffered the Black Plague... And oh boy had I forgotten how crushingly penalising it can be if you're not prepared. My ruler was infected but he made it through thanks to his Physician, though his wife and his eldest daughter and heiress didn't make it. Also saw 2/3rd of my courtiers die: won't complain too much as I though the castle was a bit crowded, but holy hell it nearly feels empty now. Dynasty wise, I think there over 70 members that died during the plague: not a problem as I've had time to build a numerous dynasty but still pretty impressive. Also the economy kinda crashed down: never went into the negative (though I probably would have been in huge trouble had I not stopped reinforcing my retinues) but my income was down 90% I think.

But hey that's over and things are getting back on track. About to go crusading in Sweden. And I still have around 300 years left.

Playing as the Byzantines in the 769 start date targeting Ohrid for my first conquest while having one of my Councilors fabricate a claim on Thessaly [what is Byzantium without Greece?] once I have Greece should I begin targeting the Abbasid Caliphate or Italy next and attempt to achieve what even Justinian couldn't do ~ a Byzantine conquest of Gaul?

Playing as the Byzantines in the 769 start date targeting Ohrid for my first conquest while having one of my Councilors fabricate a claim on Thessaly [what is Byzantium without Greece?] once I have Greece should I begin targeting the Abbasid Caliphate or Italy next and attempt to achieve what even Justinian couldn't do ~ a Byzantine conquest of Gaul?
I find with a 769 start you can declare war for pretty much all of Greece on Day 1, and it can be advantageous for you to do so as you are going to be fighting all the pagans (including Bulgarians) anyway. Although I was lucky in capturing Telerig in May (he ceded Philippopolis for his freedom), I annexed Ohrid in April 770, evicted Vuk Grgurovic from Thessalia in May 771, conquered Epirus in April 772 and Achaia in June. I finished the overall re-conquest of Greece from the pagans with the fall of Avlonas to Christian forces in February 777. This can be a bit of a risky strategy depending on your success in battles, and does tend to lead to a civil war (between 774-776) in my case. However, you can replace the Serbs with loyal Greek vassals in Greece to offset disgruntled strategos in the east and the Catholics in the western periphery. This shouldn't be too awful if you have fought the pagans on your own territory or limited the power of hostile lords within the Empire. You shouldn't really need to be fabricating claims in Greece, in my opinion.

In my game I was RPing, and after an Iconoclast Terror under Michael I Lachanodrakon ended up converting to Catholicism and reinstalling a Greek Papacy in Rome. It makes a change from always going eastward. I would recommend that you RP as it gives you justification for decisions you make other than 'gaming' the system or simply knowing how to exploit the weaknesses in AI decision-making.