Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

So I wrote a post on the CK2 forums about a number of ideas I had for the game. I might take these ideas and turn it into a submod for HIP(though that would likely be after I finish my AAR), though I am curious what others think. :)

Cultural Suggestions
Art Events and Decisions:

This is a more general one but considering how important religion was for everyone in this era, it would be nice to have events about creating religious artwork. I know the Manicheans have a decision to commission art, but I think that pretty much every religion should be able to commission art.

Now the art that could be commissioned could depend on the religion and culture, as well as tech level. So Muslims can commissioned calligraphy works, Christians can commission icons of saints. By tying it also to technology you could show the rise of things like stained Glass..

Music Events and Decisions
Griots, Troubadours and Trobairitz, Skalds, Bards, Bards, and more. Music played an important role for society. Considering the plethora of courtly bard positions, it would be nice ever there were events about hiring one of them. Perhaps if you are a vassal with a title like court poet or skald and so on then you can craft a poem for your liege.

There was a mechanic in the old VIET immersion for the Griots, and updating that for the current game and expanding it for other culture groups with unique songs and stories could be nice.

Unique Societies for every religion:
One thing that bugs me is that you got Taoist, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and Pagans, some of which could even have the zealous trait, all in the Hermetic society. It feels weird. So I think that there could be unique societies similar to the Hermetics but slightly different for every religion or at least each religious group.

So there might be mystical Sufi Orders and various scientific lodges for Muslims. Pagans could have magical societies and so on.

More Festivals
Almost every religion has a number of different festivals beyond just the main one. From Holi in India to Slavic’s Kupala Night to Christian Advent and so on. I think being able to host and attend these festivals would be good, plus help switch up the different festivals during peace.

Also I think there should be more intrigue stuff during the festival. From assassinations to kidnapping during Christmas, Easter, Ramadan, and so on.

Pagan Suggestions
Better Syncretism:

So one thing that I do not like about the pagan faiths is that if I am a Norse pagan ruling over slavic pagans, they will not join my Blot and vice versa for the Jarilo festival. I think that unreformed pagans should be able to join other pagan festivals, and they should continue to do so unless they are dogmatic or proselytizing.

Furthermore, I think that if you have syncretic for Eastern Religions then you should be join their festivals as well.

Pilgrimages
Pagans are one of the groups that do not have pilgrimages, along with the Israelis and Mazdans. However, I think that they should be able to do pilgrimages to some of their holy sites. This might require becoming a reformed faith for the pagans, but I think that they should be able to do this.

Dedicate Temples
Currently only Hellenic Pagans can dedicate temples to their gods and goddesses. However, I think that every pagan faith should be able to dedicate their temples to a god or goddess. This can also be used for Hindus and Taoists as well.

Minor Sacrifices:
A thing that VIET used to have, and some mods still keep, are minor sacrifices for the Haltja of Finnish Paganism. Adding that, plus expanding it for other pagan religions but renamed to reflect things would be a good idea IMO.

Seek a Mystic:
So Hindus have the option to seek out a Guru, I think that pagans, or maybe at least reformed pagans should have the option to seek out mystics for their employ. Furthermore that the other pagan faiths should have their own mystical court position like the Volva for the Norse.

Perform Sacrifices Court Mission
So the Court Chaplin for the Pagans has the same standard jobs like the Christians, which seems odd; Especially if you aren’t planning on going down the route of a dogmatic or proselytizing faith.

So what I suggest is for the Court Chaplain to have a new job option called “perform sacrifices”. Where you would send out your Court Chaplain to a province to lead in performing special sacrifices for the people. Success would gain you either piety and/or improved relations with the vassal. Failure could mean being attacked by a mob, lower relations with your vassal or loss of money. So yea, mechanically it would be rather similar to the Muslim perform charity.

Christian Suggestions
Easter:

For being the biggest religious festival in Christianity, curious that this one is not here. So Easter should be a festival that they can attend. There could even be arguments over the dating of Easter as monks and theologians liked to clash over that.

Meditation
While this would be a monastic thing, I imagine that more pious rulers could spend time in seclusion meditating and doing prayers. Perhaps as a way to reduce negative traits or as a way to get in the good graces of your bishop/archbishop/pope?

Muslim Suggestions
Madhhab(branches of Islamic School of Jurisprudence):

There is the Fiqah trait but we don’t have anything for the different schools themselves. Perhaps for Muslims there can be a law that reflects the dominant school in someone’s realm with slight differences for events and minor bonuses based on the law that their kingdom follows.

Furthermore each person that has the Fiqah trait would have a modifier to reflect which school they belong to. You would have to have as your Chief Qadi someone of a different school to change.

My Zunbil empire so far. My rulers had to suck it up to the Abbasids for two centuries, and while the Caliph looked the other way they continued to praise Zun in secret and put Zunists in key positions within their realm (i.e. holy sites), until a decadence revoly ca. 890 shattered the Abbasid Caliphate. Then the Zunbil ruler at that time, Mihrshah, began an aggressive military campaign, conquering Transoxiana (via claim) and the small counties that bordered his realm (for the MA), until he finally reformed Zunism in 907. He and his descendants would be named Kinthihiradaavar because of this. Nowadays, the Zunbils have relocated from Afghanistan to Transoxiana, making the great city at the crossroads between East and West, Samarkand, the capital of their new Empire of the Sun (Mihrshahr?).

8EUHHeg.png

I wonder what other ideas for Pagan Reformation Doctrines that you might have. Since that mechanic is one that I quite like and would like to see expanded. :)

I would love dynamic heresies. If you are member of an organized religion, but have bad relations with the head of religion and have high learning, you could create your own heresy and chose new features like in pagan reformation.

I would love dynamic heresies. If you are member of an organized religion, but have bad relations with the head of religion and have high learning, you could create your own heresy and chose new features like in pagan reformation.

Yea, I know that HIP has some stuff for Heretics where they can do bible translations and plus events and trials.

Btw thoughts on my various ideas I mentioned above? :)

Yea, I know that HIP has some stuff for Heretics where they can do bible translations and plus events and trials.

Btw thoughts on my various ideas I mentioned above? :)

Generally good. Iconoclasts however probably should not be able to comission religious art. Also Muslims require a huge overhaul in general, they haven't been touched since Sword of Islam which was the first DLC, while Christians and Pagans have gotten several updates dedicated to them. Things like multiple competing caliphates, decadence overhaul, actual succession laws, societies beyond the hasshassins, iqta overhaul, etc

Generally good. Iconoclasts however probably should not be able to comission religious art. Also Muslims require a huge overhaul in general, they haven't been touched since Sword of Islam which was the first DLC, while Christians and Pagans have gotten several updates dedicated to them. Things like multiple competing caliphates, decadence overhaul, actual succession laws, societies beyond the hasshassins, iqta overhaul, etc
I want a sufi mystic secret society! Or, well, kinda monastic order I guess.

I've started a campaign as the Count of Parma (the founder of the House di Canossa), except I won't expand through Chancellor claims unless my ruler will be a martially inclined one. My first ruler, Sigifredo (889-948) seized the Duchy of Modena through a plot, and will inherit the county of Modena once the previous duke will die childless in his cell. My current ruler, Adalberto, married his heir to the sister of the count of Lucca, and then murdered his daughter in law's brother. Lucca will be ruled by the Duchy of Modena once the di Canossa heir will inherit.

I know that HIP adds quite a bit for muslims, but I would love to see the sucession laws to be open up for alternatives. But yea, there needs to be some more for Muslims.

I want a sufi mystic secret society! Or, well, kinda monastic order I guess.
There is a mod that does add that.

And, the possibility to adhere to one school of jurisprudence or another, as an extension of the current school of thought system.
Yea, I want that. I mentioned on the other page a way that could be implemented.

Has it been updated?

Yup. Golden1 is up to the Iron Century DLC. Though be aware that the map module, SWMH, does not have the Iron Century Start Date. it does however have other start dates in the 10th century, including the reign of Cnut.

That said, I haven't updated because of an AAR I am running as a pagan Russia which I started before Iron Century was released. :)

Just spent 17 years as a count under the duke of Flanders, intending to get control of the ducky so I could make a bid for the Defender of the Holy Sepulchre achievement (basically taking the kingdom of Jersusalem). I get the oppurtunity to war my liege for the duchy. I get the warscore up to 100%, all I have to do is click a buttom and I'm duke. There's somebody else invading the duke for the title, I decide "What the hell, I'll crush him too now that I have my allies together and everything." In the middle of the battle which would end this other army, I die of cancer, ending my war for the title and splitting the counties I have between my sons.

I have reached 1066 from the Iron Century bookmark; my first ruler was Sigifred di Canossa, Count of Parma; since then, I never used the Chancellor to fabricate claims, and only expanded by pressing claims for my relatives and vassals or through plots.

Dukes of Modena
Duke Sigifred I "the Usurper" (889-948, ruled for 59 years) - a pious man who started the family tradition of lay Dominican membership; his claim to the Duchy of Modena was backed through a plot, due to the fact that his liege lord was a child, and he then seized the Duchy of Modena for himself.
Duke Adalberto I "the Just" (948-985, ruled for 37 years) - a pilgrim who took part in the Crusade for Aquitaine; he did not even try to expand, preferring to administer his small realm and worship the Lord; he was beatified soon after his death.
Duke Adalberto II "the Terrible" (985-992, ruled for 7 years) - even though he was as zealous as his father and his grandfather, he was also an impaler and a sodomite; he died of cancer not even a decade into his reign, as punishment for his sins, but not before the marriage of his heir to the ruler of Lucca, a marriage that added a coastal province to the Modenese realm.
Duke Vincentello I "the Cruel" (992-1008, ruled for 16 years) - not just an even crueler man than his father, but also wroth, proud and lustful; rumours about his deals with Lucifer persist to this day. He died of cancer at the age of 33, before he could do much to endanger the Duchy of Modena as much as he ruined his soul.
Duke Vincentello II (1008-1023, ruled for 15 years) - inherited the Duchy of Modena at the age of 12 and, unlike his father and grandfather, lived a pious life, even taking part in the failed Crusade for Jerusalem; before dying during an epidemic, he struck marriage alliances with the powerful ducal families of Ivrea and Tuscany, and was able to push a bastard son's claim to the Duchy of Milan.​

Emperors of Italia
Emperor Vincentello I "the Usurper" (1023-1056, ruled for 33 years) - he took part in the second Crusade for Aquitaine, but not before reaping what his father had sown: capitalizing on his alliance with the ducal family of Ivrea, he seized the Duchy of Tuscany, due to the aforementioned dynastic ties and then, when the throne of Italy was seized by the bastard Duke of Milan through a plot, he pushed a claim of his own, making the main line of the di Canossa prevail. In the following years, he added three other crowns - Romagna, Sardinia and Corsica and Sicily - to his list of titles, and began to style himself Emperor soon afterwards. However, his seizure of the Papal States resulted in his excommunication.
Emperor Gian I "the Carpenter" (1056-1109, ruled for 53 years) - strong and zealous, he's the most martial member of the House di Canossa so far: he faced the Umayyads in two wars, alongside the rest of Christendom, and built a lasting legacy through his patronage of the Church; after the end of his campaigns against the infidel, he vassalized Venice, turned the kingdoms of Arles and Germany into tributaries, and married his heir to the Queen of Aquitaine, creating a de facto di Canossa empire in central Europe. He was beatified after his death, and might be soon made a saint.

epEiXHg.png

Played for five minutes on the 1066 start... Harold and William confronted each other on the field, and killed each other in a chaotic duel.

Pretty epic.