Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Tellus, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Frrf Well-Known Member

2. LordInsane Supporter of the Alliance

Ancient Egyptian religion will not be in the next patch... but "That doesn’t mean we are against it in the future though…."

3. Sevarics Beto for Texas

The Champion and Ice34 like this.
  4. jmberry Well-Known Member

Cadet dynasties didn't exist until after the game's timeframe and don't appear to have become an official concept until after Napoleon. Of some of the ones Wikipedia lists:

1. York: An unofficial name for Plantagenets descended from Edmund of Langley (I suppose Plantagenet itself would count, but that seems to be more of a case of the d'Anjous changing their name in the 14th century, which the customizer already accounts for). These are also the only one I could find within the game's timeframe (1385-1499).
    2. Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg: The earliest "official" cadet branch I can find, with their founder born in 1545 - and even then, they don't become an official family until 1825.
    3. Guise: Didn't branch of from Lorraine until 1528

There are the Capetian branches, but by all accounts those are post-facto designations historians use when a portion of the family becomes important, usually through ruling a specific duchy. Even then, with the possible exception of Capet-Anjou, they always seemed to refer to themselves as "Capet" in official documents - Louis XVI was even tried as Louis Capet, not Louis de Bourbon.

The Champion and Ice34 like this.
  5. Worffan101 Ain't done nothing if I ain't been called a Red

6. Sevarics Beto for Texas

It’s not like CK2 even tries to be 100% realistic

7. Admiral A. Kolchak Supreme Leader

CK2 is balkanisation heavy, EU4 is space-filling empires heavy, this has been a thing since those games were released and probably will stay that way, even though it's not necessarily the way those two time periods worked.

8. Worffan101 Ain't done nothing if I ain't been called a Red

The main thing with CK2 and EU IV is that as games with numerical algorithms based off of real life, the savvy player can play the numbers and do what couldn't happen in real life.

9. Sevarics Beto for Texas

I’ve been playing as the Nubian kingdom of Alodia, expanded a bit across Nubia and east Africa but haven’t gone on that much of a conquering spree as I’m content with my decently sized kingdom that’s easier to defend.

Anyway, I’ve been switching off between two names of my heirs, Dauid (David) and Raphael, since the starting character was Dauid II and he already had a son named Raphael. Thus my monarchs have been Dauid II, Raphael I, Dauid III and currently Raphael II.

Anyone else try to keep their rulers name list to a couple names?

10. Yorel Well-Known Member

Sometimes I do.

Usually, when I play the game, if the proposed name to a given child satisfies me, I just pick it. If it doesn't, I try to pick a name in the dynasty that is more to my liking or at least was worn by one of the character's ancestors.

At other times though, I kinda have the idea "Okay, every firstborn is gonna be named X" or other naming restrictions like this one. It really depends on my mood and on the degree of roleplay I'm willing to go for.

The Champion, The Tai-Pan and Ice34 like this.
  11. Machiavelli Jr Member

My Welsh/Balkan empire (fluke inheritance I decided to run with) has been ruled by three each of Llywellyns and Ysfaels; the IIs were coincidental but I've now started naming first and second sons one or the other.

12. Tyler96 Well-Known Member

I do have a tendency to try and ramp up my regnal numbers, especially in Byzzie games, and get a bit of an eye twitch when AI rulers pluck an utterly random name out of nowhere.

Shiva and The Tai-Pan like this.
  13. Ice34 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else find the random stupid names used by youtubers and more casual players mildy irritating? Or should I probably just get over it?

14. LordInsane Supporter of the Alliance

Generally I find that in online contexts random stupid names have to be tolerated, because the process may very well be [had a good name in mind]->[found out it was already in use]->[tries to come up with another good name]->[finds out it was also already in use]->[gives up and just uses a random stupid name]

The Tai-Pan likes this.
  15. Sevarics Beto for Texas

You mean you don’t like King Craplord of France?

Ice34, Shiva and The Tai-Pan like this.
  16. Yorel Well-Known Member

Depends on the context. Not a fan of using stupid names in general, but if it's done for the fun of it during a multiplayer session I can let it pass.

Plus, it's not like Vanilla can lead to odd naming trends such as King Gargamel IV... I know Gargamel is a historical name, but I can't help but see a dynasty of smurf-hunters when I hear it...

17. Sevarics Beto for Texas

Now that would be a fun mod

DracoLazarus and Shiva like this.
  18. The Tai-Pan The Pagemaster/Plogmonger

19. Shiva Dreaming... always dreaming...

Sometimes I do, however sometimes I go with the name suggested by the game if it's one that I like, but if the game gives me a name I don't like I'll go with an ancestor's name.

It depends on my mood, like in my current Jerusalem/Outremer game I've had five Baldwins and two Foulques (Fulk), then I've had one Henri, one Edward, one Elias, I'm currently on my first Eustace and his heir is Prince Yves. I wanted to have the names more restricted but I rather liked some of the odd ones that came up and went with them. Hell one branch of the Anjou's that became the Kings of Lithuania stuck stubbornly to French culture and there have been FOUR King Gargamel's and two Leonard's, though thanks to the Black Death they burnt through the royal line to a King Onfory and his last living child a Princess Yolande.

Though if I do a Byzantium run next I'll try to stick with names that have already been used to see how high I can get the numerals to go before the game ends.

The Champion, Tyler96 and Ice34 like this.
  20. Sevarics Beto for Texas

My heir was assassinated and so my chain of Dauid-Raphael-Dauid-Raphael has now been broken.

Raphael II will likely be followed by Raphael III since Dauid was killed.

Because I wanted to continue the chain of sons naming their first born after their father, the new heir named his first born son Raphael.

So if everything goes right, Aloudia will see at least three consecutive Raphael monarchs in a row...