Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Tellus, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Tyler96 Well-Known Member

Started a Jerusalem game as Jean de Brienne in 1210-ish. During his lifetime recovered the Jerusalemite hinterland in a crusade (and got tons of gold for mercs) and followed up the crusade by grabbing Damascus. Died of cancer and left the realm to an underage kid, Baudouin VI.

Baudouin has cycled through three epithets. First he got ''the Lewd'' (during his childhood he was the only living member of House de Brienne, so I went seduction to spam out some kids), then ''the Lionheart'' (defended against a jihad), and then ''the Architect'' (acquired a bloodline by building 10 cities). He's also reached the top rank of the Hermetic Society, and was briefly imprisoned in Russia when he was caught trying to steal/trash some other guy's research.

Realm has expanded to include most of Syria, a couple of Egyptian duchies (Sinai+Damietta), and to form a custom Jerusalemite Empire that has a terrible colour. He also sponsored the mass conversion of some random Baltic pagan. A bastard son was also installed in Thrace through a crusade (Thrace is a terrible crusade target).

Elsewise...
    • The Empire of Nicaea was eviscerated by a jihad for Anatolia and now exists solely in the Wallachia/Moldava area.
    • The other Byzantine successor state, Trebizond, is doing alright because it inherited Georgia.
    • The Abyssinians took advantage of me beating up the Ayyubids to actually win some Holy Wars.
    • Frederick II wasn't exactly stupor mundi here, he died young and left Sicily to an infant girl. The Welfs held the empire for a while, but now someone else has it.
    • An Empire-level Muslim entity in Spain (Almohads?) has vassalised the Christian kingdom of Castile (which also nabbed the Duchy of Gascogny through inheritance).
    • Italy was liberated by peasant revolt.

The Champion likes this.
  2. Neoteros Dux Mediolani

This is what happens when you shower the Pope with money coming from your merchant republic shenanigans.

The King of Jerusalem is the OG Oberto Grimaldi's second son. I wonder how long will he last next to the Fatimid blob.

[​IMG]

This, on the other hand, is what happens when you put the crusade money to good use.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    The Champion likes this.
  3. Yorel Well-Known Member

Still playing as Mursalin the Great in my Zunist Shattered World game. The first Shahanshah of the Zuhaid Persian Empire and the fifth Dastur of the Church of Zun, he has also officially become the head of the Keepers of the Flame society. Needless to say, he's one of the best fighters around. A shame I can't build a legend with him but less than a hundred years have passed since his great grandfather Banham the Great Tiger built his own.

I'm nearly finished with the conquests of what remains of the de-jure Persian Empire. I'm basically missing only three or four counties. The issue is that they're all owned by the Jain King of Armenia. By the way, I still don't know how the fuck Armenia became Jain... The first of its King, Dharmiya the Great, was descended from an Indian ruler and given how I turned adventurer of, I still don't get how it came to be...

Aside from conquering what he's missing of de-jure Persia, Mursalin the Great has been busy crushing religious revolts. I'd have to check, but I probably had half of dozen of them happen: one from Nestorians or Messalians in Iraq, another from Sunnis (also in Iraq), two Zoroastrian ones and two Hindu ones. They've all been crushed: you don't fuck with Mursalin the Great, especially when you know he's got 30k troops and a proven battle commander.

Aside from that, I find the Keepers of the Flame give me strange targets at times. Might be because they're not where I'm looking to expand though... I mean, the current one I've got is in India but for the moment I'm more looking West as I want to invade/puppetize Egypt to be in control of the last Zunist Holy Sites in Heliopolis.

Anyway, one of the targets I got with Mursalin was to conquer Raffah from the Uwaysid Caliph... Basically, the Sunni Mirzids ruler of Arabia were overthrown after a Shia Caliph challenged them. He subsequently took over Arabia, while the Mirzids have basically been reduced to a three provinces rump Kingdom in Yemen (whose capital is, only enough, in the horn of Africa...).
    The war with the Uwaysids was more long than a true difficulty as I had twice their troops. Attrition was tough though, especially since Raffah is still a tribal holding. Not helping was that the Nestorian/Messalian and Sunni revolts in Iraq kicked off at the same time I fought the Uwaysids.

Anyway, after the conquest of Raffah, I got a notice that Islam now could launch Jihads. My first thought was "uh oh, better watch out for that". And not too long after, the Uwaysid Caliph declared a Jihad for Iraq. The war lasted a rather long time, but I probably have the biggest army around so it didn't prove too much of a difficulty. Hell, I was basically waiting for the AI to be movement locked in Basra before attacking them there. Needles to say, it was a rather easy win. Even the Knights of the Sun that joined me didn't have to do much...

I got a ton of money from the Caliph after the war... Not that I really need it since I'm basically swimming in money thanks to the Silk Road. Hell, I've been building Castles and Cities lately.

The good news though comes from the succession. The Elders FINALLY agree on a name for Mursalin's successor and they're nearly unanimous. Yasmoon, Mursalin's eldest daughter and heiress, had never really was approved by the Elders even if they couldn't agree on a replacement (she never got more than two votes (her father and one Elder) but each all the other Elder had basically their own candidate for the throne) and she ended up dying at the age of 31. At the time though, Mursalin's only son Soban was 14... And he's been adored by the Elders. Now in his twenties, Soban is basically every bit the Warrior his father is. And personnality wise, he kind of rocks: he's brave, brawny and sociable. The latter makes me laugh though because he's also Paranoid and Cruel... Those two things normally don't go together. Soban is also in the Keepers of the Flame and he's already rank 2. And the Elders love him: only one of them refuses his ascension to the throne... But then again, he's Mursalin's Rival so it's no surprise.

Family wise, Mursalin has also lost two of his wives lately. At this point, I'm not really worried about my dynasty as even though Mursalin only has one son, the Zuhaids are a pretty large and prosperous family (The Great Tiger has over a hundred descendants). Plus, Mursalin now has the Chaste trait, so I'm not expecting him to father any more babies. Still, to not loose prestige because he would have less than four wives (not that it would change much given I'm Emperor of Persia, but also King of all the Kingdoms that make that Empire as well as King of Transoxiana and Punjab), I decided to remarry him. And I also got to remind everyone that yes, I have Divine Marriage in my reformed Zunism.

You see, the first of the two new wives Mursalin got is his third daughter. She's in her thirties, but recently lost her husband. Roleplay wise, I kind of imagine Mursalin chose to marry her so she wouldn't lose her status... Plus tradition. After all, Mursalin is chaste so I don't imagine he's gonna make babies with her for now.
    The second wife Mursalin took is the daughter of his uncle Wamiq. It's only his 1st Cousin but that still counts as a Divine Marriage because same dynasty.

In regards to what's happening in the outside world:
    • The first Catholic Crusade had gone for Italy because of heresies and had succeeded in establishing a Crusader Kingdom there. It's still around though it's not that big. The second Crusade's target was Middle Francia... More precisely Lower Lorraine. It was once again a success... But this time, the Pope got all the lands. Funny enough, the current Pope's name (the one who won the crusade) is Victor...
    • Nearly all of what forms the de-jure Empire of Abyssinia is in the hands of the Knights of Saint Anthony. That's... kinda worrying for me. I mean, they're the coptic holy order so if I attack the Coptic King of Egypt one day...
    • The biggest realms seems to be all my neighbors... Aside from Jain Armenia to my North-West and the Shia Caliphs of Arabia to my South, the province I'm asked to attack belongs to a Maharajah in India that basically owns a territory that cuts India through the Middle. I also have a rather large Kingdom of Nepal on my Eastern border. And though they're a bit more distant, Egypt and Greece are also pretty large realms.
    Dumb question, but why would it be bad for you to become HRE?

The Champion likes this.
  4. Bonnie Prince Charlie A pessimist, but who isn't?

Sigh. So much for the AI forming the HRE then.
    [​IMG]

The Champion likes this.
  5. LordInsane Supporter of the Alliance

If only the CotC reboot hadn't faltered, it could have used the set_gender effect 3.0.1 is adding.

6. Neoteros Dux Mediolani

Harsh exclave independence goes a long way towards cleaning up the border gore.

So do a few other settings I'm playing with.

The Tai-Pan likes this.
  7. Bonnie Prince Charlie A pessimist, but who isn't?

I have it on Limited (Naval) I think. Maybe I ought to increase that setting in the future. I'll see how it looks a couple of generations down the line and then decide.

8. Neoteros Dux Mediolani

In the end, Grimaldi rule over Jerusalem didn't last - the kingdom was conquered by the Seljuks not long afterwards, and King Oberto fled back to Genoa, where he was granted the vassal republic of Sardinia. Not even my support of the Children's Crusade, led by a Zähringen kid, could bring Jerusalem back into the Grimaldi fold, so I decided to take advantage of the crusade against Pomerania to get rid of my nephew, since I cucked him and he didn't like it at all.

[​IMG]

Oh by the way, the new king of Jerusalem is a genius with 30 Martial, and has conquered the entire coast of the Levant, while the succession crises in the English-Norwegian union tore England apart - Northern England and Wales are now ruled by the Welsh King of Brythoniaid, East Anglia and Wessex are an independent duchy, while Cornwall is still under Norwegian rule. Queen Åse Yngling only rules over the far south of Great Britain.

The Champion likes this.
  9. Kome Honourable Maiden

1) My vassals would become direct imperial vassals of the emperor
    2) My kingdom succession law is gavelkind so it would split the imperial and king titles between my sons
    3) Factions

10. Tyler96 Well-Known Member

It's beautiful! Beautiful.

Bonnie Prince Charlie likes this.
  11. Hawkeye Source?

So I bought the game while it was on sale and doing the learning scenario in Leon. Would anyone care to offer some advice?

12. The Tai-Pan A Better Deal

The learning curve is steep but not very tall. Just stick with it a few games and you'll be fine.

13. Planet of Hats Byzantoclast Donor

I think "Limited (Naval)" is currently buggy.

14. Flavius Iulius Nepos Emperor with the support of the East

Near the colony of Ateste, Venetia et Histria
    Fixed with new Patch.

Planet of Hats likes this.
  15. Bonnie Prince Charlie A pessimist, but who isn't?

Ah, well good they are fixing it then.

Thank goodness they’re fixing this. Hopefully after the patch comes out, I will no longer have to search through all the characters in the world looking Captain Henri the Quarreler, with whom I’ve never interacted, and trying to figure out why he hates me so much.

16. kncjj Worlds worst white mage

In my Neostorian game my leader kept getting excommunicated, I constantly had 6 of the seven virtues and thousands of piety. I was so holy I became a god damn Saint after I died.

Is there any way to see who excommunicated your character by the way?

17. LordInsane Supporter of the Alliance

There's apparently something wrong with the hardcode that is supposed to make religious leaders care about AI weights when they consider excommunicating someone, so they don't (but they might still do it when the religious leader is asked to consider excommunication requests, there it is just too likely in general) - which means you can get excommunicated right after repenting, because that's on a soft limit of -1000 AI weight to excommunicate for a while after rather than on a hard limit...

18. Bonnie Prince Charlie A pessimist, but who isn't?

There’s a popup that tells you when it happens. I don’t think there’s a way to tell though if you forget or accidentally click through the popup or what have you.

19. herkles Well-Known Member

Question how does this set up sound like for reformed slavicism: Unyielding, Children of Perun, Ancestor Veneration, and Hierocratic leadership?

20. Tyler96 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had a character in my Jerusalem game who was clunked on the head fighting an excommunication war at the Pope's behest in an attempt to get a coronation, then the war was invalidated and the Pope immediately turned around and excommunicated him on the request of some random Polish countess. Templars and Hospitalliers bailed. Then the maids drowned my incapable ruler in the bath.

His son was almost immediately excommunicated, again at the request of the Polish countess, but he managed to get past that and installed an uncle in a crusade for Castile (which had previously been ruled by a Muslim d'Ivrea in vassalage to the Almohads). He was also making progress at the Alexander bloodline, then the plague hit and killed him (as well as 2/3 of his brothers, 3/4 of his male-line nephews, his sister and all her children, and innumerable cousins), leaving the throne in the hands of his infant son.

Said infant has proven remarkably resilient, shrugging off bouts of the plague and pneumonia before his third birthday.