Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

They really need to add stuff for an independent Italian Empire retaining control over the peninsula. It's not like the emperors didn't exist, either.

Also pretty much impossible at present to replicate Carps tusculani timeline which is an utter shame.
ATM the only de jure empire at game start are the two Roman Empires (if formed), Persia and Arabia.

Geeze, Bruno is the energizer battery of kings: he just keeps going and going and going. Having begun his reign as Grand Chief of Saxony, he has reformed the Germanic religion, settled his tribal people in cities and castles, crowned himself king of Pomerania and Denmark, burnt so many cities of the contemptible Catholics that he's lost count, and has now been anointed Emperor of Saxony. He's survived two assassination attempts by his spymistress daughter and has been living with cancer for years, kept alive by radical experimental treatments that somehow keep working. At this rate I'm starting to wonder if he somehow managed to get through the immortality event chain and I didn't notice...

Last edited:
I finally got back to good ol GoT in CKII as a classic Aegon's Westerosi Conquest. I expected it to go smoothly, reletivly bloodlessly and possibly have a few realms fall without me having to fight them.

I was wrong.

What followed was a brutal slog of a six year campaign even with dragons. I would go and smash one realm, only to have another rise up against me, so I would go smash them, only to have another do the same thing. The only Paramouncy not to once rebel against me was Orys and the Stormlands. For that I will betroth his first daughter to my second son as thanks because jesus christ it was a slog. Easily over a hundred thousand people died during the campaign, maybe many more and I even had to almost completely exterminate the Starks to keep them from rising up. Most of them are on the Wall, dead or injured. However, things have recently quieted down. The Yornwoods run Dorne after the Martrells third revolt, the Hightowers rule over hte reach after the Gardners revolted twice. The Brax's ruled the West for some time but the Lannisters managed to steal it back even though I spent thousands of men to put htem down three times. The Riverlands are under a new family I raised to nobility, the Axeries. They were courtiers in my court and I couldn't trust the Rivermen after four fucking revolts so I gave it to them instead. The North is run by the Boltons because I was just that mad at the Starks. And the Vale has cycled leaders like Italy has so idgaf who runs it just as long as its not the Goddamned Arryns.

The Big Blue Blob is looking rather unhealthy.

Aquitaine.jpg

That picture at the bottom of the previous page is the Kingdom of Aquitaine in 1218 shortly after the incorporation of the Duchy and Kingdom of Aragon.

I started as the Duke, in 1066 (coronation of the Bastard on Christmas Day). Guilhem managed to strengthen his hand within the realm, before eventually breaking away, founding his own kingdom, which only included Poitou, Gascony, Aquitaine and the Bourbon.

His son began the task of trying to consolidate all the Occitan lands under the crown of Bordeaux. First he had to reorganise the realm. A couple of overmighty vassals; and then a rather bitter defensive war against the vengeful Capets. To be honest, I was losing, badly. But then, a fight under the walls of Poitiers changed everything. I personally slew the king, and captured three of his dukes. War over, the French were off the table for a decade. Really promising ruler, went and died young on me. Wounds picked up at that glorious battle.

The next one (also Guilhem), was young enough that I had to sit through a lengthy minority. At this point, the French king was more powerful, so I needed opportunism to prosper. Luckily, there was a shit-fight with the Anglo-Normans, allowing me to sneak a victory on the southern bank of the Loire, landing the Auvergne in the process.

His son, called Louis, was the one who crushed the power of the French King. An Anglo-alliance neutered the Capets, perhaps permanently. I took the Duchy of Berry, and the Normans Flanders. I half suspect that their involvement in several crusades was an attempt to find breathing space. It didn't work. County after county, I chewed up the Duchy of Toulouse, while expanding my power within the realm - I think all the lower duchies now have ancestors descended from that first victorious duke who became a king. I had hoped to move against Brittany, but the English started to , so I concentrated on expelling France from the south. After that, long campaign was over, a new avenue opened up. My wife had a claim on the duchy of Dauphin. One of the many excommunicated emperors was facing enough wars and rebellions that I took it for my own. I sat back after that, strengthening while my threat rescinded. The only fly in the ointment was a female ruler, whose own son - a five star ruler in the making - was crippled and died in the war for Dauphin.

Eventually, Louis died at a grand old age. His already aged daughter succeeded in Aquitaine, while her mother ran Dauphin. Two years later, the queen was succeeded by her grandson. six months after that, he gained Dauphin when his great granny died. Seriously, that couple were very long lived.

The beginning of the reign required lots of charm. Female ruler, two year reign, now passed on to a nineteen year old. One with, frankly, shocking skills. Louis had got a decent set of kids and grandkids, but taken his eye off the ball after that generation. However, I've avoided any rebellions, with a combination of charm, force, and whacking great pay-offs. Holy War for Barcelona took me south of the Pyrenees, but the Emirate/Duchy was centred on Zaragoza, so I just got the county, and a load of vassal counts, who were a bit fractious, to say the least. I waited for another decadence revolt, then went for a holy war for Aragon. That's allowed me to form the Kingdom of Aragon and its two duchies. The duchy of Aragon has gone to my brother, who I'm hoping will loyally hold the line south of the Pyrenees. Once my threat dies down, I have a decision to make.

Where next? Finish the consolidation of the Occitan realm, by going for Provence? Finish off France, once and for all? Fight for Christendom, by pushing down the coast to Valencia?

Attachments

• Rulers.jpg
    Rulers.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 387
Ok so newish Player [I've had the Game for quite a long Time but I lost interest for several Years before coming Back to this Game] starting as Denmark in 1066 on the lowest Possible Difficulty Setting, which it says Affects Army Morale, and my Character's chances of producing an Heir.

I am Running Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome and Sunset Invasion DLCs with the Sunset Invasion scheduled for the 1300s and Genghis Khan and the Timurids at their Historical Dates. I have Annexed Lilubice without much Difficulty, and my Chaplain is Converting the Slavs there to Christianity. I want to Annex Pomerania, Hamburg, Bremen, Celle, Oldenburg and Obotritia for my Empire. My Marshall and my Steward are in Sjaeland, Researching Economic Tech and Training Troops. I also would like to Invade England at some Point.

Obotritia and Pomerania have gone to War against each other so should I Declare War against them now while they are Divided against each other?

I'd Appreciate any Advice more Experienced Players have to Offer.

Obotritia and Pomerania have gone to War against each other so should I Declare War against them now while they are Divided against each other?

Wait until the war's over and they are exhausted or make sure you aren't going to whatever they are fighting over. At this point if you go for the territory being fought over you may end up hostile to both of them.

What happens if one Annexes the other?

How can I ensure I always have the Maximum Amount of Troops in a Province for when I need them?

wndgZXN.jpg

The good news: Syagrius lived to 72 and unified most of Gaul.

The bad news: his successor is a lunatic.

Do you think I should convert to Hellenism?

The good news: Syagrius lived to 72 and unified most of Gaul.
Nice.
The bad news: his successor is a lunatic.
There's always a catch.
Do you think I should convert to Hellenism?
If you wish to. That said, I don't think it would make that much sense historically as I believe the Roman elites in Gaul were heavily christianized at the time. On the other hand, we're talking about a Lunatic character: his decision don't have to make sense...

f you wish to. That said, I don't think it would make that much sense historically as I believe the Roman elites in Gaul were heavily christianized at the time. On the other hand, we're talking about a Lunatic character: his decision don't have to make sense...

All the lords of Gaul are either Christian or Germanic, yes; but the capital is (for now) a Hellenic province, and that state in Italy that broke off from Odoacer's realm, it did so under a Neoplatonist rebel leader, so there's a precedent. :p

In my current game Robert Curthose got himself deposed in favour of Aelfwine Knytling (Canute's bastard grandson). Aelfwine let his only child, a girl, be educated by a Jewish court tutor and when she inherited she immediately faced a revolt in favour of an old, heirless, Eadmund Godwinson.

Made this for my own reference tonight and wanted to share it in this thread that I've enjoyed reading and which first made me interested in this game.

lLMWVgo.png

Nothing transformative, but I wanted an alternative to the text-heavy tables on the various wikis.

Well Crusader Kings II is free on steam right now until the 7th, anybody who wants it can download it and keep it forever. Of course all that DLC isn't free, but the base game is, might as well download it if you don't have it and are somewhat interested

Isaac Beach

Banned
Made this for my own reference tonight and wanted to share it in this thread that I've enjoyed reading and which first made me interested in this game.

lLMWVgo.png

Nothing transformative, but I wanted an alternative to the text-heavy tables on the various wikis.

That's actually really useful from a timeline perspective. I'm gonna save that, it's really nice!

So I've started a game as the Zunbil dynasty and...

Shortly after the start of the game, all my vassals revolt against me; I dispose of them, and strip them of their titles. Since the Zunbil realm starts out with gavelkind, a generation later all my feudal subjects were members of my dynasty. I carve up a realm between Afghanistan and Pakistan over the course of a couple of generations, but the second son of my current ruler converts to Islam.

I imprison him and throw him out in the desert to be judged by Zun himself, while leading a couple weak vassal relatives to revolt against me, so that my chosen heir will inherit more land.