Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

I remember one time as the Byzantine Emperor declared something like twenty holy wars in a row against various Norse rulers to crush them forever. Led off with an invasion of Nordic Ireland and joining Christian Wessex to drive the pagans out of Britain. All so we could have a decent launching point for an invasion of Scandinavia and Iceland.

I didn't even keep the land, just granted it all independence. Just to stop them raiding Constantinople every other month.

I've been playing with the Haesteinn of Nantes start, aka. the most abusable start in the game.

After conquering a bunch of counties and wrestling the island of Sicily from the hands of the Basileus, I flipped to Italian Catholic and formed a custom kingdom consisting of basically all the Mediterranean islands. Now we're a Mediterranean maritime power.
I managed to get Haesteinn's son (after we all converted to Christianity post-burning-everything in Sicily) made Emperor of Rome (the Byzzie kind). Largely by killing enough people that the purple passed to a 13-year-old half-Arab named Giorgios who apparently was the last living male member of a famous Arab Christian dynasty. Somehow I got made regent (I know, not that much power) and more importantly, Spymaster. So I married his heir, his older sister, then when the time was right, kidnapped him and threw him into a pit of snakes. All hail Ragnarr, Emperor of Mikla- I mean Rome! What's that, I killed a centuries-old noble house? Pfft, noble schmoble, besides, the kid was annoying and had a funny voice.

Just started a game two days ago as Urguist Circinn (duke of Fortriu at the Charlemagne start). 300 years in and the Circinns have united Wales, Ireland, and Pict/Scotland under the Pictish Empire, while the good old Karlings are confined to a dual kingdom of France-England.

Also Slavic-religion Scandinavia for some reason?

I think that merchant Republics still need work. There's really no easy (or even not easy) way to get certain trade posts from your fellow patricians. Even if I could buy them for outrageous amounts of gold or swap them for titles or other trade posts I'd be happy. Or bribing enemies to raid and burn them. Once you've reached late game you've usually got so many that there's always too big a gap in the number of posts to declare war for them or being able to plot for them.

I was one province away from a total monopoly on a sea square when raiders torched it, but I couldn't delete my far flung ones because my stupid liege was at war and you can't remove posts while at conflict.

Half my problem with CK2 is I keep wanting to try new things.

On the flip side, I've discovered that letting a moderately powerful non-Dharmic power loose in India with Holy War CBs is basically a death sentence in 769, especially if you wait for someone else to raise the Hindu holy order before you start attacking. Started as the Karluk Turks of Zhetsyu, blobbed all over Turkestan, razed most of Khiva, then converted to Islam, subjugated Sindh and settled at the mouth of the Indus. I've since culture-flipped and now I'm the Sindhi-cultured Sunni Maharaja of Sindh, own a custom empire and am blobbing my way relentlessly down the west coast of the subcontinent.

As Aurion I have traveled to Valyria, killed a dragon and stole a Valyrian Sword named Death Bringer. Then, from my new base in Elyria I marched on Volantis and took the country for myself. I then moved my host Eastward and brought safety to Essaria, bringing them under my watchful eye. Then I met the Dothraki for the first time under their Great Khal, Khal Mengo. At once I realized the potential dangers Mengo and his horde posed to the civilized world and decided to immedeatly march on his horde and smash it to bits. We met in battle in Sarnor who joined in my war. 20,000 Dothraki horsemen fought 15,000 of Valyria's finest led by two of the last surviving dragonlords and Aurion himself. Fire fell down on the Dothraki horsemen as they charged foward. Mengo, seeing this charged forward himself to duel Aurion and his dragon to predictable results. Seeing his father burn in dragonfire his first son charged forward to avenge his fallen father. He to met the same fate. With two Khals killed in quick succession Mengo's great horde routed and scattered into the Dothraki lands. Aurion then flew to the Khals capital and captured his last remaining son. With that the Dothraki threat was ended for all ages. With the last threat to his lands Aurion turns his eyes North and East, to the rest of the Free Cities. The Freehold will be his, whether they knew or wanted it or not.

I see that I'm not the only one who got the latest Game of thrones version and started as Aurion in the new Century of Blood bookmark.

Took me five attempts though to truly start a game as Aurion. My first four attempts to go to Valyria went as followed:
  • 1st Attempt: Went with the warrior. We got lost in the labyrinths of Old Valyria and eventually fell in a trap door, though not after Aurion got his body mangled...
  • 2nd attempt: Went with the healer. Managed to reach the end of the labyrinth of Old Valyria but suffered a few injuries. Then the healer turned on me as I was about to get the sword and killed me in a duel.
  • 3rd Attempt: Went with the old man. Ship sank in the smoking sea.
  • 4th Attempt: Went with the sailor. Got lost yet again in the labyrinth ade fell through a trap door...
The fifth attempt is where I finally met with success. I took the healer with me, we reached Old Valyria but instead of finding a labyrinth, I instead faced a dragon and managed to kill it. After I got my Valyrian sword, I left Old Valyria and proceeded to go conquer Volantis, which I did. I haven't continued in my pursuits of establishing a New Valyrian Empire yet because Aurion is currently suffering from the Bloody Flux so I'm waiting for him to recover. I'm also waiting for him to pop out some kids as, out of roleplay, I hadn't married him before he conquered Volantis. He then took three wives: two High Valyrians courtiers (who both sit on his council now: one as the Master of Whisperers, the other as an Advisor) and Jorda, the Qohorik healer I had brought in my travels to Old Valyria. She recently gave birth to a son, Haegon, but the boy is sickly.

Current objective is to build a Dragonpit in Volantis so that my dragon doesn't fly off.

Doing a RP play as the Byzantine Empire in HIP.

Got a ruler who was already a Secret Bogomilist. I worked very hard to lay the groundwork, and, ultimately, come out as publicly Bogomilist and unseat the Ecumenical Patriarch and start to convert the Empire and state apparatus, as well as regularize Bogomilism into the state religion.

He died suddenly of smallpox, only inches away from establishing a permanent Bogomilist establishment in the Byzantine Empire. Okay, I think, I'll just finish with his daughter, my new ruler.

Look at daughter's traits.

"Secret Catholic"

Fuuuuuuuu-

Got a ruler who was already a Secret Bogomilist. I worked very hard to lay the groundwork, and, ultimately, come out as publicly Bogomilist and unseat the Ecumenical Patriarch and start to convert the Empire and state apparatus, as well as regularize Bogomilism into the state religion.

He died suddenly of smallpox, only inches away from establishing a permanent Bogomilist establishment in the Byzantine Empire. Okay, I think, I'll just finish with his daughter, my new ruler.

"Secret Catholic"

Fuuuuuuuu-

Well future historians will have a lot of fun with that story...

teg

Effectively finished my Vlach Draculesti game at 1444. The Demon-Queen Satana was offed by poison at the ripe old age of 60 circa 1225. Guess I got careless with weedwacking plots as I expected her high intrigue to prevent anyone from bumping her off. Amusingly enough, the Joan of Arc event had fired near the end of her reign leading to an amusing teamup between a possessed cannibal Bogomilist Queen and a Virtuous Bogomilist maid! It was a good run though; she reconquered the Caucuses and ate or impaled roughly 3/4ths of the Seljuk dynasty! Great grandpa Vlad made sure to tell all the kids about the Turks. :cool:

Vlad III Draculesti was the first relatively normal and righteous ruler of Dacia; Satana's heresy never made much headway and he remained Orthodox, so the heresy pretty quickly collapsed except in the Kingdom of Georgia. Most of his reign was spent keeping the Bulgarians and Hungarians down while waiting for the clock to run out.

ck2_646.png
Here's Europe in 1444. Not too much bordergore for a CK2 game. However, Iberia's a total mess, Ireland owns half of southern France, and the less said about Russia the better. That dark red blob in Poland is a frightened orthodox Lithuania next to a bunch of angry Poles rebelling against a Nestorian Mongol that somehow became king...

ck2_649.png

Back in my neck of the woods Hungary's been reduced to a two-bit player, and the Byzantines are down to a few islands and slivers of land in Greece. Georgia, Epirus, and the Republic of Thrace are owned by Vlad III's younger brothers, and Crimea was reconquered after the extended family proved incapable of keeping it. The Timurids have largely spend themselves, but the Turks and Ayyubids are still quite strong.

Eventually I'll convert this to EU4, but it looks like the next patch will re-work the Russian provinces so I'll wait until then. In the meantime, I've installed CK2+ and the Anime Portraits mod (god the faces look so much better!), and started a 867 game as a Sogdian Manichean count in Samarkand... Been going OK about 20 years in, though it's rather frustrating to have to kowtow to the Seljuks and their 70k event troops after eating half their dynasty in the last game! :rolleyes:

"Secret Catholic"

Fuuuuuuuu-

The more I hear about the M&M expansion the less interested I am. Seems totally historically immersion-breaking, and not in a fun "Aztecs invade!" way either.

I've been starting a ridiculously overpowered Hellenic Pagan Byzantine start with the 'Restored Pagan Faiths' mod (or whatever it's called), basically I turned all of Europe and Asia back to it's Pagan roots.

It's been fun using a customized Emperor and Dynasty, the Hellenic dynastic shields look really cool! And I gave my Emperor Leon VII the attractive, genius, strong, and a bunch of other positive traits, put him on 'Family' mode, married Matilda of Tuscany, and I've been taking up young concubines and I got rid of two when one turned 30, and one cheated. Despite being on the Family setting, Leon's had two affairs with women of the court, but he just made them concubines when they got pregnant, one died giving birth though. :(

But he's just turned 30, and I'm hard at work restoring the Roman Empire, and he's got over 10 kids so far with more to come since I intend for him to be on SOME sort of fertile setting all his life.

The more I hear about the M&M expansion the less interested I am. Seems totally historically immersion-breaking, and not in a fun "Aztecs invade!" way either.
The thing is that, while it does need to be toned down a bit, things like secret societies and secret religious beliefs and groups were entirely a thing that happened. My ancestors were secret Jews for centuries while outwardly Catholic. There was a real, legitimate conspiracy of Cathar nobles that coordinated an uprising to overthrow Parisian rule of the south of France in the 13th century. There were heirs who pretended to be one religion until they were in power, and then suddenly shifted themselves and the state to their private religion; just ask Elizabeth I of England. These are things that happened.

Who actually has been begging for Tibet? Most people just ignore India when they gave us that. Now they think we want Tibet? How about flipping cadet branches, gosh darn it!