Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Is there any advantage to getting involved in the Crusades, aside from land I don't want and maybe getting the Pope off my back?
Characters that directly participate can get the Crusader trait, which doesn't do all that much but is purely positive (the church likes the character better, other crusaders likes the character better, they get better at the martial arts and their personal combat skills get sharpened).

Is there any way to maximize the chance of an unwanted prince dying heroically in battle? I've sent him to lead units of 500 against the Caliph's 18,000 twice, and he's lost all his men but escaped personally both times.

How do you install mods like After The End?

Because I download the file, moved it to the Crusader Kings 2 Mod Folder and then I extracted the files from it and yet it hasn't been installed.

Turns out I didn't extract the files correctly
Did it create a folder in the mod folder with all the files in it? That's usually where I mess up. My preferred method is to just extract files to my downloads folder and then copy them over. It might take a bit longer, but it seems easier.

Start a new game as a custom character with grandiose plans, four months in and I get challenged by Death to a game of chess and lose (the game, my character's life, and the game game).

So tempted to turn off supernatural events right now............

(I like a lot of them though, so probably won't).

Start a new game as a custom character with grandiose plans, four months in and I get challenged by Death to a game of chess and lose (the game, my character's life, and the game game).

So tempted to turn off supernatural events right now............

(I like a lot of them though, so probably won't).
Challenging death is bullshit! I had a genius Caliph that was well on his way to crushing Karlomainia (Karloman France) and Death fucking got him. My heir was four at the time and I was just...so angry. I pressed on and still kicked the shit out of France, but I still would have wanted the Genius to do it.

Challenging death is bullshit! I had a genius Caliph that was well on his way to crushing Karlomainia (Karloman France) and Death fucking got him. My heir was four at the time and I was just...so angry. I pressed on and still kicked the shit out of France, but I still would have wanted the Genius to do it.

Death's Chess Game ALWAYS seems to show up just when your best character hits his or her stride.

With my current Plantagenet game I had King Paul just lunge at Death instead of playing the game and I actually beat the odds and won in a fistfight. Guess 'Death' in that round was just a petty assassin... :D

Death's Chess Game ALWAYS seems to show up just when your best character hits his or her stride.

With my current Plantagenet game I had King Paul just lunge at Death instead of playing the game and I actually beat the odds and won in a fistfight. Guess 'Death' in that round was just a petty assassin... :D
"Death aint got nothin on me! Fite be heathen!"
- King Paul...probably

Somebody on the Paradox Forums made a post about how the Satanists should be able to come into the open if they reach a high enough power level. I think that's a cool idea, and was wondering about how to mod it. Your entire kingdom would immediately go into revolt and you'd be instantly swarmed by basically every other ruler on the planet, but that's part of the fun.

But that also seems like it would be really hard to make as a mod, and while I was thinking about it, I wondered about an equivalent deal for the Hermeticists. They're not exactly secret secret - after all, the pope knows enough to give you an opinion malus - but you could still have an event chain. Crown yourself the Philosopher-King! I'm thinking an event that would have a chance of firing if:
  • You're at least a King.
  • You're the leader of the Hermeticists.
  • You meet a prestige requirement - 1,000?
  • You have either written a magnum opus, or have a complete library of all of them - not sure which.
This triggers an event chain leading you to, say, find and excavate Solomon's temple, something like that. So you have to either conquer Jerusalem or pull off a very tough set of intrigue challenges. Success gets you a major artifact and the option to crown yourself the Philosopher-King. That gives you:
  • Bonus to prestige.
  • Bonus to tech, probably a big one.
  • Bonus to other people's opinion of you.
  • The ability to boss other Hermeticists around - not as much as the leader of the Satanists can boss their flunkies around, but they'll say yes to anything that's not totally unreasonable.
Presumably this title would be heritable. Thoughts?

[Talking After the End]

Well, the Stepping Razor killed himself in his depression barely less than ten years in the game. Given the Caribbean Empire was undergoing rebellions that Portia was going everywhere to squash, I think maybe he realised the goal of being the Caribbean Emperor was not worthwhile. Perhaps he finally regretted killing his older brother.

Poor Portia, though. A mother should not have to bury two sons. Especially an empress ruling a very unstable empire and whose heir is now a child.

Last edited:
Playing as the Holy Colombian Confederacy.

My Rival, also had a claim on the My Empire, however as long as he is on the council (and the council is content), he can't be involved in Factions, so I just made him Advisor, so he is essentially powerless. :p

Me in my Kingdom of Italy game:

Adviser: My Lady, your revocation of lands from the rebel nobles and the ransom of their courtiers has been completed. The war against your right to absolute rule has been costly, but with your vassals either in adoration of you or safely in your dungeon, it can be said that none of your forebears had the same level of control over Italy as you have. The Council is ready to make itself totally feeble at your command, you just need to request the vote and it shall be done.

Me: Hmm, I am starving. Where is Duke Stefano?

Adviser: Ahh, the traitorous duke is rotting in his cell, lamenting the loss of his lands in Italy. Might I suggest you gift his vassalage to the Kaiser, it will prove to all your generous and loyal nature and we will never be bothered by that bloodline again.

Me: Well, that's a good idea, but this cookbook I found gave me a thought on what to do with Stefano. <pulls out the Necronomicon>

Adviser: Ummm, My Lady, my I ask what it is you are planning?

Me: My oath was to be loyal to God and Kaiser, dear adviser, but I live to serve Man. Now, have a spit assembled in the dungeon by the evening. And bring the spices!

It's probably good that I was in my 50's by the time I did this, so I won't have to spend too long with a -50 opinion with everyone else in the game. I honestly didn't expect any bad repurcussions, as he wasn't even the first person I ate (the previous victims being 2/3 of my previous husbands). I suppose doing it during a carousing makes it have Plausible Deniability.