Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

What's that blob of navy in the east? And the yellow on the peninsula? (I think it's the Black Sea and Crimea but not 100% sure)

To prevent more shenanigans when Henrique dies, I have likely scandalised the rest of the peninsula by switching to primogeniture in both kingdoms. I blame the French Burgundian influence of my late father, if anybody asks. My second son, who had been in line for Galicia, decided to react to the news by joining the Hospitallers. Bit of an overreaction, but he was a zealous lad. He seems to be doing okay, as he's currently the heir to the order.

When the current king of Castille dies, unless he copies me, we'll see the whole dance begin again. Since my screenshot, he has taken over ducal Castille, linking his two domains together. The poor son of the Duke is now the Count of Soria. When he was born, his Dad was a king, twice over. Poor sod watched the father throw away both kingdoms, and four duchies.
Update? And more screenshots!

Played Svend in the Christmas Day start, bided my time, allied myself with the Scots and the French, then launched my bid to seize the throne of England the first time. Succeed in 1071, only to lose it 6 years later to William who had been biding his time in Normandy. In 1086, William dies, succeeded by William Rufus. 3 days after he dies, I again launch a bid for the throne, succeed, but having in the meantime returned to active practice of my Catholic faith, I abdicate and OTL Harald Whetstone is elected to succeed to the throne of Denmark. 2 years later William Rufus, meanwhile raises an army from his exile in Ireland (including IIRC a few Godwinsons ironically) and manages to curbstomp the Danes. 6 years later, William Rufus dies, leaving the throne to a 10 year old named Richard. I reinvade with the aid of the usual suspects (as well as a bunch of English mercenaries led by another Godwinson and a bunch of intimidating Russians led by a man named Boris. I succeed again, and things seem good for about 10 years. But then Harald III gets himself killed like a bitch in putting down a peasant rebellion (maybe he shouldn't have extorted his subjects?) leaving Denmark to his cousin, Niels. Danish peasants are brought back in line, just in time for Richard of Normandy (now 20 and with a reputation for having a sadistic penchant for mutilating people) leads an army of Normans, Irish mercs and a few Godwinsons and crushes the Danish and loyalist English at Winchester. Niels sees the writing on the wall and basically just does whatever he can to get away from Richard the fucking Serial Killer. And promptly turns his attention to acquiring Sweden, mostly by assassinating little children, supporting a mentally impaired teenager for the throne of Sweden, using the election process to be the front rinner to succeed him by murdering all my rivals, then just in time for his 16th birthday smother him in his sleep with a pillow.

I get the feeling that Niels is as bloodthirsty as Richard, but the difference is that Niels sees violence as a tool, while to Richard it's a pastime. Also, how slippery can the Godwinsons get? They've switched sides so often even Charlie Crist would think it too much.

DTanza

Banned
So....I was busy fighting a war and didn't notice the Black Death had arrived and wiped out my entire family. I have no heirs and I am an lunatic cannibal with a horse as court physician.

Great.

This is why I always keep a ton of little cadet branches that I give random baronies to. Too small to actually be bothersome, but they tend to stick around long enough that you always have a backup heir.

It pays not to let the various family branches wither.

This is why I always keep a ton of little cadet branches that I give random baronies to. Too small to actually be bothersome, but they tend to stick around long enough that you always have a backup heir.

It pays not to let the various family branches wither.
Lucky for my Denmark game that the Estrids breed like rabbits, then. I'm related to pretty much half of Northern Europe.

I have started a Northumbria survival game from the earliest start date, that I plan to convert to EUIV.

By 910 I have managed to defeat every Viking invasion, and fend off the depredations of both the Picts and the Mercians. Though I may have gone a bit too far there, and Mercia has been sundered with the core territories now swearing fealty to the Scottish crown, whilst the rest has splintered into independant Earldoms.
Southern England is a chaotic mess, East Anglia is ruled by the descendants of a French adventurer, Wessex and other associates earldoms a have a mix of Feuding Anglo-Saxon and Irish dynasties. Lincoln is ruled by a Saxon warlord in service to the King of Saxony.
The Earl of Kent is the most powerful southern Anglo-Saxon Lord. Who is also King of the crusader state of Aquitaine.

I wasn't really paying attention, but Charlemagne's empire seems to have floundered early on, leaving much of Framce divided between two intertwined and rival states, the Kingdom f France, and the Kingdom of Middle Francia. Germany seem to have never been conquered and is dominated by the Kingsom of Saxony.
The Umayadds seem to have seized this opportunity and by 850 had conquered not just all of Hispnia but also southern France. Around 890 the Pope called a crusade to drive back the Muslim invasion of Christendom. Pretty much everybody signed up for it, but with the two Frances depleted by constant war, the main contribution came from a group of Anglo-Saxon earls. Chief among them the Earl of Kent.
The Umayadds were swiftly driven back to the Pyrenees, and the new Kingdom of Aquitaine formed by the pope to govern the reconquered lands. The entire nobility of which seems to be Anglo-Saxon.

The new DLC, Monks and Mystics, is pretty bad. It's even worse than Conclave was, which is a big disappointment since Reaper's Due was so good.

What everyone wanted: More flavor for Heresies. More Miaphysite/Nestorian/Indian flavor.

What we got: Horrifically overpowered Satanism that broke the game, and a handful of rather pathetic orders that really added nothing truly of note to the game. Monasticism is a caricature of what it was OTL, and with no real power. Heresies are still so neglected they practically are unplayable except for a "for teh lulz" factor.

Yeah a lot of it is general imbalance with the new XP might need a smaller patch or two to resolve but I'm quite pleased with the amount of content that had been added.

But we really need a push on the heresies for content. CK2 is in year five so the time to get something like that out may sadly be ending if they announce another mainline title.

My question is whether or not NPCs actively use the unholy society mechanic, or are they just in it for the lulz as well. Like, does NPC Karl Karling regularly sacrifice to Satan or does he just build his prestige. How often will they utilize their demonic powers on player characters?

They do seem to use at least some of them... I've done some cheating to play around, and charinfo 1 revealed that a secret Lucifer's Own NPC just happened to have a subordinate baron that was possessed by a demon.

I have a confession to make. I play most of my games on "soft cheat" mode. I.,e, I have a rough plan, and cheat non-gatuitously to fulfill it. For example, if I'm winning a crusade which I've been planning to do for 20 years, and am about to run out of money, having already taken a loan, I will use the cash cheat to cover my costs. Or if I accidentally press the wrong button, or give someone a gift to come to my court but he still refuses, I'll compensate myself. Does anyone else do this?

Penelope

Banned
I have a confession to make. I play most of my games on "soft cheat" mode. I.,e, I have a rough plan, and cheat non-gatuitously to fulfill it. For example, if I'm winning a crusade which I've been planning to do for 20 years, and am about to run out of money, having already taken a loan, I will use the cash cheat to cover my costs. Or if I accidentally press the wrong button, or give someone a gift to come to my court but he still refuses, I'll compensate myself. Does anyone else do this?

Here, here! I do this all the time, usually how most of my longer games go.

I know what I'm like, so ironman only for me.