CRS riot police in Britain

What if Britain instituted a hard antiriot etc police force like the French CRS, and at the same time? Call them Central Riot Squad or some other suitable name to fit the initials.

(Also, it would somewhat annoy the Cereal Research Station, and the Catholic Relief Society, and Combined Road Services Ltd (truckers), etc etc etc.)

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Anthony Appleyard said:
What if Britain instituted a hard antiriot etc police force like the French CRS, and at the same time? Call them Central Riot Squad or some other suitable name to fit the initials.

(Also, it would somewhat annoy the Cereal Research Station, and the Catholic Relief Society, and Combined Road Services Ltd (truckers), etc etc etc.)

When would this be ? And would they be autonomous or, conversely, under more strict state control ?

i.e. could they have started a massacre by accident ? Or could they have been manipulated for political means ?

Grey Wolf

I see the oppotunity for someone to create a timeline where Britain ends up with a single National Police Force here.

Oh this would be great for Germany in the 70s when street fighters in Frankfurt were apparently able to equip a whole troop with helmets, shields and truncheons "quonquered" from hessian state police.

I have once seen CRS in action- magnificent.

Question for the British: could a riot police like the CRS (to be stopped only by WMD) shorten the coal workers strike in Britain with its emphasis on agressive tactics so that strike breakers can go to work?

Would massive clashes affect the image of Mrs. Thatcher in a negative way?