Crisis in the Kremlin - Our 1982 USSR

If I were ever to make 2nd timeline, which one would you be most interested in?

• 1. German Empire 1888

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • 2. Russian Federation 1993

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • 3. Red China 1949

Votes: 37 17.5%
  • 4. Yugoslavia 1920

Votes: 27 12.7%
  • 5. India 1947

Votes: 28 13.2%
  • 6. alt-fascist Italy 1922

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • 7. South Africa 1994

Votes: 18 8.5%
  • 8. Germany 1990

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • 9. Japan 2000

Votes: 18 8.5%
  • 10. United Kingdom 1997

Votes: 20 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hopefully you recover from your tooth pain soon.

1. Vote on the fate of Crimean Peninsula:

Voting for C

I believe that the obvious answer for the Crimea question should be settled with a referendum by its own people, moving the peninsula over to the Russian SFSR with the justification that it was just another of Khrushchev's mistakes, will likely piss off the Ukrainians even after having stopped the harmful Russification policies that were being carried out against the Soviet Republic, so having the decision being instead handled by the people of Crimea will be the best course of action.

If I remember the 1989 demographics of the peninsula correctly then I'm certain that Russian SFSR will likely win the vote, since far more Russians live in the peninsula than Ukrainians followed with the Crimean Tartars being the third major ethic group on the peninsula, so uh I guess the C option is basically the "transfer Crimea back to the Russian SFSR but with a couple of extra steps"...

2. General Secretary Romanov is about to meet American President Reagan in Reykjavík. Please write down which topics should be discussed by both leaders?

Well the main points we should obviously focus on in the interest of world peace, so arms control and SDI should be on the agenda, although there is probably some more possible points to discuss on, I'll listen to some of the other ideas from our comrades.

Last edited:
Given the Tartar Population of Crimea beside the Russians and Ukrainians, could we also have the option to vote it into a independent new Tartar/ Crimean SSR neutral from both?
ethnic_composition_Ukraine_Southern_Russia_2001.jpg

Not sure if the map is accurate, it is the best I could find so fast depicting Tartar regions in Crimea that was not completely outdated to TTL.

Last edited:
A) Leave Crimea in Ukrainian SSR
B) Transfer Crimea back to Russian SFSR
C) Let the people of Crimea decide their future in referendum.
C) This way the Crimeans get what they want and nobody can blame the Romanov government.

2. General Secretary Romanov is about to meet American President Reagan in Reykjavík. Please write down which topics should be discussed by both leaders?
Arms control, SDI, and the continuous American provocations.

revival of Esperano
I know this seems like fun idea but i simply don't see how it would be used practically besides for entertainment purposes, or something.

C) I believe this would lessen the impact of the transfer . But generally given the ethnic make up and new laws I'm quite sure most of Crimeans will generally vote to return to Russia.

And honestly given the concessions we did to other nationalities under pretext of correcting past wrongs we need to live up to it and do the same with Russians.

2. General Secretary Romanov is about to meet American President Reagan in Reykjavík. Please write down which topics should be discussed by both

1. Question of Afghanistan and our upcoming withdrawal should be raised as well as US support for religious extremists.
2. Raise issue of Arms race and revival of SALT II/START I (We have proven ourselves as reasonable party with opening of Jewish emigration, upcoming retreat from Afghanistan, liberalisation of religion etc).
3. Besides the Red Phone try to establish more formal form of communication between NATO and Warsaw Pact.
4. Talk about Soviet/American issues around the world and seek deescalation of various conflicts. In exchange for US stopping its support for armed uprisings against Soviet allies offer to cut support against US allies.

Honestly besides arm control we cannot get more from Regan. We must continue to conduct ourselves as reasonable party and seek deescalation while waiting for more detente minded president to come to power.

Given the Tartar Population of Crimea beside the Russians and Ukrainians, could we also have the option to vote it into a independent new Tartar/ Crimean SSR neutral from both?
Unlikely to happen as Tatars don't have definite majority and are in fact a minority, this is an option that would generally anger both Russians and Ukrainians and it would go against the current law of republics as we would have minority ruling over majority. Not to mention i generally want to avoid creating new Republics in USSR as it would open a Pandora's box.

Otherwise @panpiotr can we have option to mediate, or conduct talks between Lybia/France and their respective Chad factions? Generally i believe talks with France would suffice here.

Last edited:
Just turn Crimea into another republic, it makes more sense that way and removes any bad feelings from both sides.

As for Romanov? Arms control, Israel's attack on Libya and for that matter the question or Israeli's nuclear weapons and if it sets a precedent, allowing new post treaty countries to avoid international sanctions and condemnations. And on a lighter note, the possibility of any joint US-Soviet space mission (more than just an Apollo-Soyuz repeat, like a probe to the outer planes? Uranus or Neptune?)

Also, about agriculture mechanization, I remember reading somewhere that the Soviets had twice as many farming tractors than the US but produced only half as much food, so, even if you throw more tractors at the agricultural sector, it won't solve the inherent problems of the Soviet system, 3% of the private owned farms produced something like 30% of the food of the URSS...

Unlikely to happen as Tatars don't have definite majority and are in fact a minority, this is an option that would generally anger both Russians and Ukrainians and it would go against the current law of republics as we would have minority ruling over majority. Not to mention i generally want to avoid creating new Republics in USSR as it would open a Pandora's box.
True but many live in exile nearby in Romania, Bulgaria, or Turkey and other parts of the SU that could even the numerical odds. Stalin deportet many so sending them back could count as continued de-Stalinization?
Verbreitungsgebiet_der_Tataren.PNG

True but many live in exile nearby in Romania, Bulgaria, or Turkey and other parts of the SU that could even the numerical odds. Stalin deportet many so sending them back could count as continued de-Stalinization?
Verbreitungsgebiet_der_Tataren.PNG

With the fall of USSR Tatars began to return and accounted for 10 % of the population. Generally the way i see it we can say it will even numerical odds but honestly it will hardly do anything about the fact that Russians are by now dominant nationality abd it would be a longer project for a question that needs answer now. We could kick that can down the road but that would just agitate the conservatives and Russians to the point that they would raise other issues.

Not sure if the map is accurate, it is the best I could find so fast depicting Tartar regions in Crimea that was not completely outdated to TTL.
I should note that the Tatar minority is very small right now, after 1989 over 300,000 Tatars returned back to Crimea, much to the displeasure of the Russian and Ukrainian majority in the peninsula.

So yeah the map isn't that accurate for 1986. Creating a Tatar SSR is impossible at the moment, a Crimean SSR is more feasible but it might cause us future problems with all our other minority groups.

Last edited:
Creating a Tatar SSR is impossible at the moment.
Yes and no, not every SSR had it's namesakes as a majority, just look at the Jewish one in Far East, or we could have a smaller Crimean Tartar ASSR in Crimea similar to the Volga German ASSR?

I honestly don't care but it could be seen as a more neutral option then having it been disputet between Russia and Ukraine (which it always will be no matter who of the two gets it).

Yes and no, not every SSR had it's namesakes as a majority, just look at the Jewish one in Far East, or we could have a smaller Crimean Tartar ASSR in Crimea similar to the Volga German ASSR?

I honestly don't care but it could be seen as a more neutral option then having it been disputet between Russia and Ukraine (which it always will be no matter who of the two gets it).

That were early national projects that were abandoned for a good reason. Generally such thing would just bring unnecessary commotion into the matter. As of now this is the resolution of current national questions, creating new ASSRs would generally just complicate matter on already sensitive issue abd anger both groups as now Ukrainians would seek their own ASSR in Crimea at which point Russians will ask their own ASSR in Ukraine and other republics.

Let's not go into unnecessary national question, we had until now played pragmatic government.

Pangur

Donor
C) Let the people of Crimea decide their future in referendum. - We must not influence the result, if we do we will regret it

Reduction of the number of nuclear weapons of both sides, access to US tech esp. medical. Stop the aggressive actions against our allies. They are our allies and if they have to be pulled in line we do it

C) Best to let the Crimean population to choose to go with either Ukraine or Russia.

As for the 2nd option... I'll wait until there's more options from others.

The tartar are a minority a very small one until the 90's Slavs represent 95% of the population

A) Leave Crimea in Ukrainian SSR
B) Transfer Crimea back to Russian SFSR
C) Let the people of Crimea decide their future in referendum.

C - Let the people decide in a honest referendum. It will reduce any protests, make the citizens feel important and it will give us some points in the eyes of the West. My only worry is if the people will not start demanding more referendums. The Crimean referendum must be shown as an exception.

The reduction of nuclear arsenal on both sides, threat of islamic fundamentalists, SDI. Generally reduction of tension between both superpowers., avoiding unnecessary provocations etc.

C - Hold a referendum for Crimeans to determine their own future in either Russia or Ukraine. We should not consider creating a Crimean SSR, this would set a precedent for creating a full SSR for every disputed territory, a Crimean ASSR in either Russia or Ukraine however would be a suitable solution. A Tatar SSR or ASSR is also a poor idea, Tatars are simply too dispersed over the Union for a national territory. We cannot deport Tatars to their original homeland either as they have established themselves in their new homes, to do so would be to repeat the mistakes of Comrade Stalin.
I think the following issues should be addressed at the Reykjavik Summit:
- Reduction in the nuclear arsenal
- American funding to the Mujahideen
- ITER as suggested by @traveller76

Do not bring up SDI, it serves us better for the Americans to continue this black hole of defence spending, we are already addressing the need for space warfare ourselves and are prepared to deal with any real challenges SDI will pose to us in future. As of now it has little prospect of actually harming the USSR's defence and is a useful diversion of Pentagon funding from actually threatening programs.

Otherwise @panpiotr can we have option to mediate, or conduct talks between Lybia/France and their respective Chad factions? Generally i believe talks with France would suffice here.
I don't see why, in next vote there will be mediation between China and India so we can also add it.

I don't see why, in next vote there will be mediation between China and India so we can also add it.

I understand. Honestly it's fun thing and adds another cultural characteristic to USSR.

Also, about agriculture mechanization, I remember reading somewhere that the Soviets had twice as many farming tractors than the US but produced only half as much food, so, even if you throw more tractors at the agricultural sector, it won't solve the inherent problems of the Soviet system, 3% of the private owned farms produced something like 30% of the food of the URSS...

While Mechanization and modern farming practices are a thing the biggest part of Romanovs reforms includes redistribution and privatization of lands to individual families and individuals . Though most of them are expected to be part of collectives and distribution is done in such a way to avoid creating concentration of wealth in couple of individual farmers. So generally we can expect that most of the arable land in USSR will be in private hands under one, or another form.

C) A referendum to allow for the population of Crimea to decide upon their future would be the best option.
Most important topics I think would be arms reduction and S.D.I though also the matter of Afghanistan regarding our withdrawal and the U.S funding of the Mujahideen, along with the USA's recent provocations towards ourselves and our allies.

Ok, the chapter is posted, but I put not as much effort into it as I should, as I'm fighting a tooth infection right now and yeah, I wanted to finish the chapter ASAP. There will be no update tomorrow.
I hope you'll be okay and will feel better soon.