Crisis in the Kremlin - Our 1982 USSR

If I were ever to make 2nd timeline, which one would you be most interested in?

• 1. German Empire 1888

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • 2. Russian Federation 1993

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • 3. Red China 1949

Votes: 37 17.5%
  • 4. Yugoslavia 1920

Votes: 27 12.7%
  • 5. India 1947

Votes: 28 13.2%
  • 6. alt-fascist Italy 1922

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • 7. South Africa 1994

Votes: 18 8.5%
  • 8. Germany 1990

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • 9. Japan 2000

Votes: 18 8.5%
  • 10. United Kingdom 1997

Votes: 20 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still am not sure about Buran being the best way. I have a feeling it is more: "The Americans have a big shuttle, so we should have one too". IMO Buran is too big. American space shuttles were designed so they would be able to catch a defective satelite in orbit and bring it safely down for repairs. Do we plan similar actions?
I believe that a significantly smaller shuttle/space plane for 4 people aboard (or 2+ cargo, eventually 6 persons in an emergency) would be better. After all you do not need a shuttle to bring a module to a space station. Mir was made quite well without a shuttle .You can send modules to the orbit on their own and a single shuttle/space plane (or regular Soyuz spacecraft) with crew to put it all together. Then a space plane can serve as a relatively cheap way to resupply the station, exchange the crew etc., just like Soyuz/Progress served Mir and ISS.
(OOC) I fully agree. It's just that there hasn't been anything to suggest that Buran's development hasn't been stopped or altered in any way, unless I have missed something. Otherwise a much smaller spaceplane which would mainly serve to ferry cosmonauts to Mir and Mir 2 would be in our best interest, along with a second one maybe primarily for cargo.

So one shuttle with a 4 +2 (6 max) capacity and another with a 2 + cargo capacity - or even 0 with full automation would be ideal.

1. Who should be chosen as the new Second General Secretary of the CPSU?

c) Boris Shcherbina (Deputy Premier & Minister of Construction of the Oil and Gas Industries/supported by Conservatives)

2. Should the USSR begin a construction of Mir-2 space station?
A) Yes, it should be our priority

3. Please write down how should the USSR react to the ongoing unrest in Palestine?
atempt to position as a force of peace
4. Please write down how should the Soviet government react to the Battle of Cuito Cuanavale?
full saport to the heroic mpla forces

. Who should be chosen as the new Second General Secretary of the CPSU?

c) Boris Shcherbina (Deputy Premier & Minister of Construction of the Oil and Gas Industries/supported by Conservatives)

1. Who should be chosen as the new Second General Secretary of the CPSU?
b) Eduard Shevardadze (First Deputy Premier/supported by Moderates and National Minorities)

2. Should the USSR begin a construction of Mir-2 space station?
A) Yes, it should be our priority

3. Please write down how should the USSR react to the ongoing unrest in Palestine?

4. Please write down how should the Soviet government react to the Battle of Cuito Cuanavale?
I am supportive of my other comrades' propositions.

THE END
Dear comrades, after consulting with dear comrade @Altlov, I've decided not to post the last chapter (February - July 1988) today - instead the game will be picked up in the sequel by comrade @Altlov. Many thanks to all readers and people who contributed to this thread! See you in the sequel comrades!

Long live the USSR and teachings of Marx, Engels, Lenin, Stalin and Romanov!
Да здравствует СССР и учение Маркса, Энгельса, Ленина, Сталина и Романова!

5bcwq7 (1).jpg
I'd like to thank @panpiotr for his excellent TL and his dedication to giving us regular updates. I can only hope my own will live up to his. I've been rather overloaded at work this week so i doubt i'll be able to publish the first update of the new TL this week, perhaps on next Monday, it will include the outcome of the previous vote as well.

I'll post the link to the new TL here as soon as i publish the new update, looking forward to it.

Foward to the victory of Marxism-Leninism!

View attachment 870953I'd like to thank @panpiotr for his excellent TL and his dedication to giving us regular updates. I can only hope my own will live up to his. I've been rather overloaded at work this week so i doubt i'll be able to publish the first update of the new TL this week, perhaps on next Monday, it will include the outcome of the previous vote as well.

I'll post the link to the new TL here as soon as i publish the new update, looking forward to it.

Foward to the victory of Marxism-Leninism!
Link?

Crisis in the Kremlin (Our 1988 USSR) - Sequel
The update is ready comrades! I will publish the new thread tommorow : )