Crimson Dawn TL: Re-Birth of Soviet Union

[AUTHOR'S DISCLAIMER: I, in no way, shape, or form, thought that the following events in this alt-history web-novel would've happened in reality when writing it. It is merely a "what if" story about a resurgent Soviet Union forming from the ashes of another civil war, and should be taken as far more of a fictional story than one that would've been more realistic. My intention was to entertain rather than write a political statement or whatever else one might have interpreted it into. I hope you enjoy reading this web-novel that I've carefully written for the better part of 2 years, as it is something I've taken pride in creating. Although it isn't perfect, I hope you can at least appreciate Crimson Dawn for what it is.]

[AUTHOR'S DISCLAIMER: I, in no way, shape, or form, thought that the following events in this alt-history web-novel would've happened in reality when writing it. It is merely a "what if" story about a resurgent Soviet Union forming from the ashes of another civil war, and should be taken as far more of a fictional story than one that would've been more realistic. My intention was to entertain rather than write a political statement or whatever else one might have interpreted it into. I hope you enjoy reading this web-novel that I've carefully written for the better part of 2 years, as it is something I've taken pride in creating. Although it isn't perfect, I hope you can at least appreciate Crimson Dawn for what it is.]
I'm super interested already from this part alone.

Crimson Dawn - Chapter 1: Ortu Solis​

Date: November 6th, 2017

It has been one year since the 2nd Great Depression shook the world in 2016. Entire nations crumbled into chaos, although, the worst was felt by the Russian Federation. In that fateful year, President Vladimir Putin was ousted and killed in a coup d’etat by a Fascist-leaning General in the Russian Army: General Viktor Karzhov. As Fuhrer of the new nation, he forged the Russian Federation into a new and menacing state: the Russian Reich. Its flag changed from the white, blue and red tricolor to the black-gold-white Romanov tricolor, and placed in the middle of this flag was a black and white Iron Cross. The independent nations that were formerly under the old Soviet Union’s control were quickly swallowed up by the Reich. To the general public, the Russian Reich was hated, but somehow the Reich was able to suppress any feeble attempt of uprising and rebellion. But there was one man who would rise to the challenge and defeat the Fascist menace that plagued Russia, and the man that would revive the glory days of the Soviet Union. Hiding in the Ural Mountains with his Bolshevik comrades inside an abandoned Soviet military base, his name was only akin to an average rebel, but soon, he would be hailed as a hero of his nation forever onward...

His name was Rik Latyeskov.

“Comrade Ovchinnokov, please tell me more have come to our aid,” Latyeskov, who spoke worryingly while stroking his thin, black beard. He was shorter than most of his countrymen, only reaching 5 feet 8 inches. He was also quite young for a revolutionary leader, only 25. His eyes burned with the fires of revolution, flaring with the determination to liberate his motherland from fascist aggression.

“Not to worry, Rik, we have more recruits coming in from both Siberia and from the West. Soon we’ll have enough soldiers to finally liberate Moscow. With that, we will cut off the fascist serpent’s head, sparking the flame that will reignite the ashes of our Motherland into a burning phoenix,” Vladimir Ovchinnikov said in a voice deeper than Latyeskov's. He was bald, muscular, and towering over Latyeskov at 6 feet 3 inches. He was also older than Latyeskov, but not by much, at 30 years old.

Latyeskov burst out laughing. “You truly are quite the poet, my friend. Perhaps I can learn a thing or two from you, maybe to become ever-more charismatic.”

“Why’s that, to win over Katyusha’s heart, hm?” Ovchinnikov replied, smirking a slightly perverted grin.

Latyeskov, very slightly blushing, lashed out “You shut up about that, you know damn well I was drunk when I told you my feelings for-“ Just then, Katyusha Mayakova, also 25 years old, walked into the abandoned base. Her long, blond hair that flowed out of her ushanka ran all the way down to just below her slender torso, which was covered by a long overcoat. She had an almost model-like body, but she wasn’t skinny, she was somewhat muscular but beautiful. Her eyes were piercing and cold but also strangely hypnotic, at least to Latyeskov. Ovchinnikov, however, was seemingly unfazed by her beauty.

“You were saying, Rik? Was I interrupting anything?” Katyusha asked, intrigued. Her voice was calm and collected, even a small bit cheerful-sounding.

“N-nothing, Kat. Vlad was making a joke, like he always does. Anyway, what did your scouting party reveal about the defenses around Moscow?” Latyeskov asked, recomposing himself after nearly being stunned by her beauty. Ovchinnikov was right, he DID like her.

“Well, we found out that the entire city is on lockdown due to the recent protests we’ve instigated. However, nobody suspects it was your rallying cry that made them revolt. Thanks to their distractions, it was revealed that there are many weak spots in the city’s defenses, and with the right strategy we can charge right into the Kremlin and tear down that cursed flag of theirs,” Katyusha reported.

“Excellent, Kat, I knew we could rely on you and your Spetsnaz allies. Alright, Vlad, we are to devise a plan based on this intel. What do you think we should do?” Latyeskov said as he placed a map of Moscow that Katyusha marked with the aforementioned defensive breaks.

“Well, according to the map, Karzhov locked Moscow pretty tightly in his grip, however Kat discovered one flaw, the Metro system is relatively unguarded and currently decommissioned until the lockdown has been lifted. We could easily slip through and come out from right under the Kremlin, and then we catch the bastard like a rat,” Vlad proposed.

“So, by catching a rat, we become rats ourselves, is that right?” Rik asked.

“Unfortunately yes, but to beat your enemy is to think like him,” Vlad answered.

“Very well then, tomorrow we take to the metro. Get some sleep, everyone, we’re all going to need it,” Latyeskov ordered.

CHAPTER 1 END

Crimson Dawn - Chapter 2: Metro 2017​

Date: November 7th, 2017 (4 AM)

Latyeskov drove the Vodnik on the dark road leading to the eastern entrance of Moscow’s metro system. Katyusha rode shotgun while cleaning her SVD-12 and checking her scope and suppressor. Vlad manned the turret and the rest of the Spetsnaz team loaded their suppressed AK-12 rifles in the back.

“So, Latyeskov, you aren’t like the rest of us Spetsnaz, yet your leadership skills are quite amazing. What did you do before the Reich took over Russia?” Katyusha asked, adjusting her scope again.

“You mean you never heard of me before? I was the leader of the CPRF after Zyuganov stepped down. I was planning on running for the office of President as the youngest in history to do so; however Zyuganov, who was still in the Communist Party, didn’t want me to because he thought I was too arrogant. I wasn’t, he was just a Stalinist who was hypnotized by his cult of personality. It angers me that people still believe in Stalin, after what he did to our Motherland,” Latyeskov described, still keeping his eyes on the road. They didn’t have lights on to avoid detection, so they used their night vision goggles to navigate the roads.

“Ah, that’s right, however I didn’t see you much on television, and you’re not really a man of speeches, are you?” Katyusha pondered, checking the number of rounds in her SVD-12’s magazine.

“No, I’m not. I like to keep my speeches short and concise, I find long speeches boring and meaningless,” Latyeskov said, stopping the car at the entrance.

“I couldn’t agree more, too many ‘leaders’ these days stand there endlessly rambling on. Alright, looks like we’re finally here.” Katyusha replied.

She and Latyeskov opened the Vodnik’s doors. Latyeskov knocked lightly two times on the side, signaling their arrival. The troops began unloading, numbering 12 in total. This was merely a Spec-Ops mission while a diversionary attack led by General Sergei Vasilov began in the morning of November 7th, besieging the city. Latyeskov and his team were to sneak into the Kremlin and arrest Karzhov.

“Alright, comrades, this is it. Keep quiet, the entrance on the other side is sure to be guarded by Karzhovists. Load your Kalashnikovs!” Latyeskov barked the order and signaled the team to go inside the metro. Ovchinnikov and Katyusha followed close behind, shouldering their weapons as they entered.

“Two guards on the catwalks, on my mark, take them out in 3, 2, 1… Mark,” Latyeskov whispered. Before he even pulled the trigger, they were dead already.

“If that isn’t the slowest trigger finger I’ve seen, I don’t know what is,” Katyusha whispered back, laughing a bit as she blew the smoke off of her suppressor.

“Show off,” Latyeskov quipped back, still shocked by her lightning-fast trigger finger.

“Alright, you two. Stop bickering and keep moving,” Ovchinnikov sharply commanded. He was wielding a suppressed RPK-12 with a drum magazine and an infrared sight.

“Fine then, move out everyone,” Latyeskov ordered, shouldering his AK-12.

It seemed like hours they’ve been walking; however it was only one hour. Those two guards were the only ones encountered until reaching the entryway under the Kremlin.

“It’s quiet, too quiet,” Vlad commented, concerned of the ease of access through the metro, “They told you it was relatively unguarded, but this is way too easy, Kat.”

“I know, at the very least there should’ve been- EVERYONE DOWN!” Katyusha yelled as she saw 20 Karzhovist troops pointing their AK’s at them and started to fire. A huge firefight erupted in the metro, with bullets whizzing all around them. The 12 Soviet soldiers ducked in cover in the metro’s railway.

“This is Sergeant Georgi Petrov, we’ve spotted rebels inside the metro, they’re heavily armed and dangerous! Send back up, now!... What do you mean, Moscow’s been besieged?! Those damn Reds, keep firing on them and stay in cover!” the Reich sergeant ordered as the ceiling rumbled above them.

“Haha, General Vasilov’s diversion worked after all! Fire back, men, not a step backwards!” Latyeskov yelled as he managed to pick off 4 unlucky Karzhovists.

“I got the rest. You two, throw flashbangs and smoke bombs over there, I’ll use my infrared sight to take them down!” Vlad commanded. As per his orders, two Spetsnaz soldiers threw their smoke bombs and flashbangs over their cover and into the crowd of Karzhovist soldiers, and surprisingly it worked. Within seconds the Karzhovist soldiers were completely mowed down by Vlad's RPK.

“Excellent work, Vlad, I’m intrigued by your tactical ingenuity,” Rik commented.

“Eh, Kat thinks I’m a reincarnation of Marshal Zhukov, haha!” Vlad replied.

“Oh that’s a load of bullshit!” Kat denied, blushing a bit.

“Comrade Latyeskov, this is Vasili Makarov, I am the leader of Strigon Team, a fighter group in your Air Force. We have managed to secure the airspace above Moscow by taking down multiple Karzhovist aces, however the flak is heavy. General Vasilov’s men are pushing through the city as we speak. Good luck, and send the bastard Karzhov my regards!” Latyeskov heard over his comms.

“Thank you, Comrade Makarov, you and Strigon Team have my thanks! Alright men, let’s get into the Kremlin!” Latyeskov ordered.

CHAPTER 2 END

Date: November 7th, 2017

The three comrades along with the nine other Spetnaz troops prepared to breach the Senate building of the Kremlin, where Karzhov was said to be hiding according to Kat’s intel.

“Alright, get into position, I’m placing a charge on the door,” Latyeskov warned.

“Affirmative,” Vlad and Kat replied simultaneously.

“Breaching in 3… 2… 1…” Rik counted down as the charge exploded the door. Everything seemed like it was moving in slow motion. The two guards standing on the other side of the door were instantly killed by the shrapnel. Three others were each taken out by Kat, Rik and Vlad, simultaneously. As the slow motion in Rik’s imagination became normal speed, the Karzhovists on the staircase ran up to the 2nd floor balcony to take cover. As Rik, Vlad and Kat took cover behind pieces of furniture, the rest of the Spetsnaz team moved in and fired off a few shots.

“Lay down suppressing fire, Vlad! We’ll take them down!” Latyeskov ordered. Vlad racked the bolt of his RPK-12 back and continued firing in their general direction. The bullets were zipping all around the Karzhovist defenders on the top of the balcony. Rik and Kat saw openings in their cover and fired, killing the rest of the Karzhovist troops.

As the firefight stopped, flak cannons and small arms fire were heard outside, with the occasional scream of an Su-33 Flanker’s jets zooming overhead, and the buzzing of their cannons. They headed up the stairs to get to Karzhov’s office, which was formerly Putin’s.

“Karzhov’s office should be to the right, down that hallway,” Kat informed as they paced down the hallways of the 2nd floor cautiously and with their weapons shouldered.

“Alright, step back,” Vlad warned. He kicked open the door and a uniformed man with a gold armband that had a black and white Iron Cross on his left arm was looking out the window, facing away from them, his hands folded behind his back. The three of them with the rest of the Spetsnaz troops filed in and secured the room, while Rik, Vlad and Kat kept their weapons trained on the man at the window.

“You are under arrest for your crimes against Russia and all her people. Stand down or be shot!” Latyeskov ordered, keeping his rifle trained on the man while his trigger finger was primed to take the shot.

“So, the Reds have finally cornered me like a rat, eh? Such a shame we didn’t kill you all the moment I took power,” the man said as he turned around to reveal his face. He was bald and had a scar over his right eye and bit of chin stubble. It was Viktor Karzhov.

“It’s over, Karzhov, stand down!” Katyusha demanded. She too kept her rifle trained on Karzhov.

"Really?" Karzhov replied, revealing a detonator, "I beg to differ."

Just then a loud explosion boomed above them. Debris fell down around them, with smoke and dust clogging the air. Rik tucked to the side, trying to hug the doorframe as he scanned the dust-filled air for any sign of Karzhov. For a moment or two he could hear nothing, and all he could taste was blood. Then he heard a yell.

There was an exchange of gunfire as Rik tried to get some kind of a bearing on where the shots were flying. Before he could even get an idea, the gunfire ceased, and he heard Vlad's voice.

"Fucking damnit!" he growled.

Rik crawled toward him through the rubble to see Kat scanning the room, and Vlad holding a bloody shoulder.

"Vladimir!" he called, stumbling towards him.

"It's a fucking scratch!" Vlad snarled, "Just go and arrest that goddamn snake!"

“Right. You two, tend to Vlad’s wounds! Kat and the rest of you, come with me and move out! I want Karzhov dead!” Rik barked as they ran out of the door, their weapons shouldered.

Rik, Kat and the other 7 soldiers started their pursuit. They searched the entire Kremlin, but Karzhov was nowhere to be found.

“Goddamnit, we lost him,” Rik growled as he pulled out a walkie talkie, “General Vasilov, this is General Secretary Latyeskov, keep the city on lockdown. Karzhov has escaped the Kremlin, I repeat, Karzhov has escaped!”

“Exactly like Ovchinnikov described him, a snake who managed to slither out of our grasp, damn him! You heard your General Secretary, do not let a single person in or out of Moscow!” Vasilov shouted over the walkie talkie on the other end.

CHAPTER 3 END

Date: November 8th, 2017

Arriving in the port city of Magadan in his private Vodnik armored vehicle, Karzhov stepped out of the back of the vehicle after it pulled up to the curb near a military building that had the Reich’s flag waving on its flagpole. He walked to the door with his hands folded behind him. On his way there, 20 Karzhovists stood on either side of his path to the door and made the Fascist salute, acknowledging his iron authority.

He then walked into the building, which had a circular table in the center, and in the center of the table on the floor was the Reich’s Coat of Arms, a black double-headed eagle with no decorations except the Iron Cross on its chest. All of Karzhov’s Generals were present, also making the Fascist salute at the table. There was one seat open at the table on the other side from where he was standing, and it was larger than the others, and he walked over to sit in the chair.

“Please, gentlemen, take a seat,” he spoke, calmly. All of the generals did as he obeyed. He watched with piercingly menacing eyes, sharply into each and every one of their souls with pure anger and rage, and he finally burst open with rabid, scolding fury.

“All of you ‘generals’ are the worst I have ever fucking laid eyes on! Especially you, Alexei Chernov! How DARE you disobey your Fuhrer’s orders?!” he growled, pointing at Chernov, who was sitting opposite of Karzhov.

“M-my Fuhrer, they were innocent civilians, killing those protesters would’ve only made them Latyeskov’s martyrs,” Chernov whimpered, trying to defend himself.

“You fucking FOOL!” he shouted, slamming his fist on the table, “If you had killed only one of those protesters, they would’ve dispersed and we would’ve been prepared for Latyeskov’s attack on Moscow! All of you, especially you, Chernov, are to blame for yesterday’s utter embarrassment!” Karzhov then stood from his chair, pressing his hands on the table, putting together his next statement in his mind.

“You see, gentlemen, my Reich runs on one crucial emotion: fear. Fear is what keeps people in line. Fear of death, fear of losing people or things they care about. How do you think Adolf Hitler kept Nazi Germany intact, for as little as it lasted? Fear, of course. He knew how to force his people into submission. Even Stalin, as much as I hate saying his god-forsaken name, also used fear to stay in power, and to keep people from speaking out. Like I said before, had Chernov ordered the execution of those protesters, the rest would’ve run and hid. What emotion would’ve entered through their minds, hm?” Karzhov asked, waiting for an answer. All of them felt the very word he was waiting to hear, and he sat back down in his chair.

“Exactly, you’re experiencing it right now. That, my friends, is fear. We must make the Reds, and especially Latyeskov, fear for their fucking lives! For now, we will play defense, holding the Siberian border with everything we have, to try and lull the Reds into a false sense of security. Then, we shall launch a surprise counter-offensive in the spring of 2018 from the Siberian border. Now, all of you are dismissed… except for Chernov!” He pulled out his MP-443 pistol and shot Chernov right between the eyes, killing him. His body thumped to the ground and blood smeared on the table and on his chair.

“Let this be a lesson to you all. Disobey my orders, and you will meet the same fate as him. Do NOT fail me!” Karzhov demanded, holstering his pistol.

“Yes, my Fuhrer!” they all stood and made the Fascist salute, with expressions of terror on their faces.

“Excellent, now get out of my fucking sight!” Karzhov snarled as the surviving Generals left the room. Other soldiers on guard dragged Chernov's corpse out of the room as well.

"One day, Latyeskov, I will have my revenge, and you will rue the day you crossed my path..." he muttered to himself, still sitting in his chair, fuming with anger.

CHAPTER 4 END

Date: March 7th, 2018

3 months have passed since Latyeskov’s Revolution that sparked the 2nd Russian Civil War. Karzhovist troops retreated over the Ural Mountains and lost nearly half of the Reich’s land-mass, and now they only control Siberia. Meanwhile, the Soviets gained control of European Russia and the rest of the newly-created Provisional Soviet Republics. For now, each of the Provisional Republics has joined in an alliance. However, despite his young age at 25, Latyeskov is seen as the de facto leader of this temporary alliance. All of the Republics have their own governments but follow the former CPRF’s governmental doctrine under Latyeskov’s leadership.

As the brutal Russian winter fades away, both sides can now advance, thus the three-month long stalemate ends at the Siberian border. Now it's a matter of who strikes first.

A knock is heard on the other side of Latyeskov’s office in the Kremlin Senate building, which was now cleaned up and ready for use.

“Hey, Rik, you busy? Can I come in?” It was Vlad.

“Sure. I was meaning to call you to my office anyway,” Rik told him. Vlad opened the door. He was still the same bald, muscular and gargantuan friend of his; although he had a cast and bandages over his left shoulder from the Battle of Moscow a month ago. Vlad took a seat which was facing Rik’s new desk.

“Comrade Colonel Vladimir Ovchinnikov of the 12th Spetsnaz Detachment, you have been one of my greatest allies and friends throughout this ordeal, and I need to know something. Why did you and Kat help rescue me from Karzhov’s forces who were trying to arrest me?” Latyeskov asked.

“We rescued you because we all knew you were the right leader for our nation. You are a man of honor, courage, and unwavering honesty. You truly are a man of the people, with a down-to-earth attitude, and someone who genuinely cares for his people and his Motherland. Comrade Lenin himself would be proud of you,” Vlad told him.

“You really think that of me?” Rik asked, making sure his words were genuine.

“Of course I do, Rik, I fight by your side and I will gladly continue to do so,” Vlad replied with a smile on his face.

“Excellent. You seem like someone I can trust. I have big plans for our Motherland when we win this war. I plan not to re-create the old USSR. No, I plan to create a new one,” Latyeskov proclaimed.

“A New USSR? What would be different from the old one?” Vlad asked, intrigued.

“Unlike the old USSR, this New USSR will be a more democratic Soviet Union. One that would keep the ideals of Socialism in mind, however held together through a democracy. A New Soviet Union that permanently destroys the plague of Stalinism and cults of personality, and that revives Socialism’s true meaning. Will you join me in creating this New USSR?” Latyeskov declared, holding out his right hand, waiting for Vlad to shake it.

“I am honored to be a part of your New USSR, Latyeskov!” Vlad answered, shaking Rik’s hand firmly.

“Good, I knew I could trust you. Oh, and bring Katyusha in here, she said she wanted to talk to me earlier today and now I’m available,” Rik said, sitting back down.

“Oh, I see, now that you’ve entrusted me with your ‘New USSR’ when this war is over, you think I’m your messenger now? Hahaha, you’re quite the character, Rik! Fine, I’ll go fetch your woman,” Vlad joked as he walked out the door.

CHAPTER 5 END

Last edited:
Date: March 7th, 2018 (One hour later)

Latyeskov pondered about what he proposed to Vlad. If he were to create a New Soviet Union, then their flag must be different. The current flags of each of the Provisional Republics, which were the same as their old Soviet counterparts, just wouldn’t do anymore. He wanted something with his own flare, but didn’t know what. Just then, Katyusha Mayakova, who was in standard ceremonial uniform, walked in the door and saluted.

“Lieutenant Katyusha Mayakova of the 12th Spetsnaz Detachment, reporting!” Kat declared as she stood firmly upright, with her boots touching together. She was holding some sort of notebook in her left hand, tucked under her shoulder.

“At ease, Kat. What did you want to talk to me about earlier today?” he asked.

“It’s in this very notebook, Rik, something I drew,” Kat said as she sat down on Rik’s desk and flipped through the pages of her notebook.

“What did you draw, the Mona Lisa?” Rik joked.

Ignoring his joke due to concentrating on finding her drawing, Katyusha finally found it.

“Aaaand... ah HA! Here it is! The flag of our new nation!” she then showed Rik her sketch.

It was a 2:1 flag with a Hammer crossed with a Sickle, and a Star above it, in the corner. However, there were added features to this flag. A wreath around the Hammer and Sickle, stopping about a centimeter the two opposite points of the Star. Another new feature to this flag were two stripes running diagonally down the flag at a 45 degree angle, a half a centimeter apart and another half away from the wreath. He stared at this flag with utter amazement and wonder. He then stood up from his seat, still holding the notebook.

“Kat, this flag is beautiful… just like the woman who drew it…” Rik commented, looking at her and smiling a bit.

“Oh, so you DO like me! And all this time I thought Vlad was just messing with me…” She started to blush, and then recomposed herself as she walked towards him, looking down and smiling, “Well, to be honest, Rik… I also-” Just then, Vlad slammed open the door.

“Hey, lovebirds, we’ve found the location of Karzhov’s hideout! Get to the war room immediately! And afterwards, get a fucking room!” Vlad shouted, leaving the door wide open.

Everyone in the halls heard Vlad, and the both of them were completely embarrassed.

“Let’s talk about this another time…” Rik awkwardly suggested, scratching the back of his head.

“Sure, Rik, another time, then…” Kat answered.

The two followed Vlad to the war room. It was a room with huge computer screens on the walls, with displays of the map of the territories controlled by the Soviets and by the Reich. General Sergei Vasilov was there, talking with other generals and admirals. General Vasilov was much older than Latyeskov, in his 50’s, and he had a moustache and still had a full head of hair. Strigon Team Leader Vasili Makarov was also present, talking to the rest of his fellow Strigon pilots. Makarov was in his mid-30’s with no facial hair and a buzz cut.

“Salute to Comrade General-Secretary Rik Latyeskov!” Vasilov shouted, and everyone in the room stopped what they were doing to salute to Latyeskov. An empowering feeling of authority and duty swelled within Rik.

“At ease, comrades. Colonel Ovchinnikov has informed me that you’ve found Karzhov’s hideout?” Latyeskov asked Vasilov.

“Yes, Comrade General-Secretary. He is hiding in the port-city of Magadan, sir, far away from our forces. It will take us a long time in order to bring him to justice,” Vasilov cautioned.

“Fret not, comrades. No matter how long it will take us, we will win this war through absolute, triumphant, and decisive victory. We’ve made it this far, and we can NOT let our families be oppressed by fascist aggression again. It is our duty, as Soviets, to crush the fascist resistance that continues to plague our brothers and sisters in Siberia, and we shall fulfill this sacred duty!” Latyeskov declared, with everyone cheering.

Vasilov then spoke up, “With all due respect, sir, we call ourselves… Latyeskovists, in your honor. We are forever in your debt,” Vasilov proclaimed, saluting proudly.

Rik couldn’t hold back the tears of joy after what he just heard. “Very well then, my fellow Latyeskovists, onward to-” Suddenly, the ceiling shook and the lights flickered. Explosions rumbled in the distance. A Soviet soldier rushed in with full gear, panting and holding his AK-12 tightly.

“It’s Karzhov’s forces, he’s staging a counter-attack! Our forces are overrun!” the soldier yelled frantically.

“Damn that fucking snake! Strigon Team, get to your fighters and defend us from the skies! Vasilov, assemble your forces! Ovchinnikov and Mayakova, load your weapons and gather the rest of the 12th Spetsnaz Detachment! It seems Karzhov is making a last-ditch effort…” Latyeskov ordered.

CHAPTER 6 END

Date: March 7th 2018 (7 PM)

Rik, Vlad and Kat were loading their weapons at the weapons rack in the war room as General Vasilov and Colonel Makarov rushed out of the war room. Colonel Makarov and his Strigon Team headed to the airfield on the western side of the city where their Su-33 Flankers were landed. General Vasilov and his men were overseeing the massive tank battle that would unfold on the eastern outskirts of Moscow. And finally, Rik, Vlad and Kat were to go behind enemy lines via Mi-24 Hind and be escorted by Strigon Team to attempt to capture the general behind this counter-attack: General Nikolai Petrenkov.

“Vlad, can you fight with your shoulder still injured?” Rik asked, grabbing his suppressed AK-12 from the weapons rack.

“I believe I can manage, I’m lucky it’s my left shoulder that got hurt, otherwise the recoil would further damage it. Even though I can still shoot, I would prefer something light, perhaps a carbine of sorts?” Vlad requested.

“You’re even luckier than you think, Vlad. It just so happens there’s one more A-91 on this gun rack. It’s a bull-pup configuration so you won’t have to worry about it being front-heavy, although reloading it can feel a bit weird,” Rik instructed as he handed Vlad the oddly-shaped carbine, which had a Kobra sight on the top rail and a suppressor on the barrel.

“Ah, it feels nice and compact, perhaps I can get used to this,” Vlad smirked a bit, pleased with his new toy.

“My God, you two are like kids in a candy store,” Kat commented as she loaded her suppressed SVD-12.

“Says the girl with the biggest gun out of both of ours combined,” Vlad quipped back sharply.

“Alright you two, enough bickering. That Hind is going to leave in about 5 minutes, so you can argue about which gun is better on the way to our objective,” Rik interrupted.

“Very well then, oh-so-glorious leader of ours,” Vlad mocked.

Rik ignored his comment as the three of them walked out of the war room with full combat gear to board the Hind which was landed in the Kremlin’s courtyard. Since the Hind was a multi-role attack helicopter, it didn’t have that much room for troops, so it was only the three of them that are going on this mission. As they walked outside, they noticed the skies were getting darker, yet the Reich’s forces attacked only an hour ago and it was bright.

“Alright, we’re inside, pilot. You know where to take us?” Rik asked the pilot via intercom system inside the passenger area.

“Affirmative, sir. I wish you and your friends the best of luck. Make sure you give that Reich bastard a solid punch in the face as a token of my hatred for him! And one more thing, it is truly an honor to fight for your cause, Latyeskov!” the pilot commented.

“Excellent, now we just need Strigon’s signal!” Latyeskov ordered. Just then Colonel Makarov’s voice was heard over the intercom.

“Comrade Latyeskov, we are ready for launch, just say the word!” Makarov confirmed.

“Strigon Team, you are tasked with defending my Hind until we reach our objective! Make your General Secretary proud!” Latyeskov ordered.

“Yes sir!” Makarov affirmed.

“Launch, pilot!” Latyeskov yelled as the pilot revved the Hind’s rotor blades. In less than a minute the Hind took off.

CHAPTER 7 END

Date: March 7th 2018 (7 PM)
Location: Moscow Air Field, Provisional Soviet Russian Republic

Vasili Makarov and the rest of Strigon Team boarded their Su-33 Flankers, which were christened on their dorsal wings by their emblem, which was a black Reaper in the center of a red shield outlined in gold, and around the shield was a gold-outlined red star.

“Comrades of Strigon Team: this is your leader, Colonel Vasili Makarov. As the dusk sets over Moscow, a blackness infinitely darker than night itself casts its evil shadow over our great capital. That shadow consists of the bastards who call themselves soldiers the Russian Reich. I have fought for and protected Latyeskov for over a year now, and you might be asking yourselves why I fight for him. It is the simplest of answers. Although young, he is honorable and a man of the people. He fights for the people and his nation equally, because he believes the people and the nation are one! He believes in a fair and just Motherland that we can all call our home. A Motherland where we can be happy and peaceful! We, as loyal fighter pilots of Strigon Team and of the New Soviet Air Force, must fulfill our sacred duty and defend our leader and our shining capital of Moscow from the demonic fascists who plague our skies! Our grandfathers did so 70 years ago, and it is time we make them proud! Those damned Karzhovists have sinned against our Motherland by supporting a fascist state, and we must become the Reapers we represent! We are Latyeskov’s guardians tonight, comrades, and we shall NOT fail him! Strigon Team, take off!”

“Yes, Comrade Colonel!” the other 12 of the pilots simultaneously replied via intercom in their cockpits.

Simultaneously, all of their Su-33 Flankers engaged their thrusters and took off. They flew in a delta formation with Makarov at the front. Makarov scanned the eastern part of the city for Latyeskov’s IFF tag and saw it boot up on his HUD.

“There’s Latyeskov’s position, in the blue at our 12, don’t let a single Karzhovist fighter get too close!” Makarov ordered.

Latyeskov’s Hind was flying high above the battlefield while General Vasilov’s T-90 tank battalions engaged the Reich’s older T-72 tanks and anti-air vehicles below them.

“Enemy MiG-29’s at our 3 o’clock! Break formation!” Makarov frantically warned as a swarm of 20 MiG-29’s zoomed over them. They broke formation to engage the MiG’s, which had Iron Crosses on their wings to symbolize their fanatical loyalty to Karzhov.

“Damn, there’s one on my tail! I can’t shake him!” Strigon 3 yelled as a Reich MiG engaged him from behind with his guns, firing bursts at him as Strigon 3 kept using a serpentine maneuver to avoid his gunfire. Just then, Strigon 5 came out of nowhere to gun down Strigon 3’s attacker, who burst into a fiery explosion.

“Thanks, Strigon 5, I owe you one!” Strigon 3 promised.

“You’re damn right! 19 more of these bastards to go!” Strigon 5 cheered.

“Damnit, remember your objective! We have four of the bastards heading for Latyeskov’s Hind, but I can take them!” Makarov said as the four green IFF tags in his HUD turned red.

“I have a lock! Die, fascist scum!” Makarov yelled as he fired four ODMM missiles at the four enemy MiGs that were heading for Latyeskov’s Hind. All of the missiles hit each of their targets, which were completely obliterated upon impact, just in time before the Reich fighters could get into range of their target.

“Great shot, sir! That was one in a million!” Strigon 7 said as he gunned down a MiG. Suddenly two more showed up behind him.

“Ah, I see how it is, you fascist fucks! Let’s dance!” Strigon 7 said as he pulled up and slowed down to get behind the two passing MiGs. He managed to score a direct hit via machine gun on one of the MiG’s engines and it spun out of control and collided into the other MiG, resulting in a fiery inferno in the sky.

“Excellent work, comrades! The tides are beginning to turn in our favor!” Makarov commented, who noticed 12 enemy MiGs remained.

“The moment we entered the skies, they’ve already lost!” Strigon 4 said as he gunned down a MiG.

“Don’t get cocky, Strigon 4! We need to focus on protecting Latyeskov at all costs!” Makarov reminded him as he also gunned down another MiG which was behind Strigon 2.

“This is Strigon 9! Two MiGs are on my six, I need assistance!” Strigon 9 warned as he tried best he could to avoid being locked on by their missiles.

“Shit! They’ve got a lock on me!” he panicked as he heard the lock-on alarm go off.

Suddenly Strigons 10 and 2 flew from under the two MiGs, shooting their machine guns at their fuselages and tearing them apart into fiery ribbons of metal. The remaining 8 MiGs retreated further east.

“Excellent job, comrades, it seems that we’ve scared them into submission! Don not pursue, we still have to escort Latyeskov and his squad!” Makarov ordered.

“Affirmative, Comrade Colonel!” all the Strigons replied.

“Strigon Team, assume delta formation! Keep a close eye on your maps but stay high above the clouds so that we’re not spotted by Reich forces! Also, we need to escort more reinforcements if necessary!” Makarov ordered again.

“Colonel Makarov, I owe you and your team eternal gratitude! May Strigon Team be an inspiration of triumph and glory within our Soviet state!” Latyeskov acknowledged over the intercom.

“It was an honor escorting you tonight, sir. It is you that we owe our lives to once this damned war is over! Good luck, my friend!” Makarov stated.

CHAPTER 8 END

Date: March 7th 2017 (7:30 PM)
Location: Eastern Moscow Outskirts, Provisional Soviet Russian Republic

While the epic dogfight between Strigon Team and the Reich Air Force raged overhead, a massive tank battle ensued on the eastern outskirts of Moscow between 200 Soviet T-90 tanks and 200 Reich T-72 tanks. While Soviet General Sergei Vasilov led his tank battalions from the battlefield as a tank commander himself, Reich General Nikolai Petrenkov led his tank battalions from behind the frontlines. The two massive tank columns stood a kilometer from each other.

“Comrades! This is your General, Sergei Vasilov! Today we defend Moscow from fascist tyranny once again! Even though these Karzhovists are Russian by blood, they have BETRAYED the Russian people and their own bloodline by siding with fascism! Show no mercy, show no regret, and charge forward with victory in mind! Not one step backwards! UUUURAAAAAAAA!” Vasilov ordered.

The entirety of the Soviet tank forces charged forward firing their main cannons asynchronously, and the Reich’s tanks repeated the action. Both sides collided in a sea of tank fire, and were almost evenly matched, but the T-90 proved much more reliable than the T-72 due to its better technology.

“Gunner, at our twelve, 100 meters!” Vasilov warned.

“I see him! Die you fascist fucks!” the gunner of Vasilov’s tank shouted as he shot a tank shell that managed to go right into the viewport of a T-72 a few hundred meters away from him, resulting in the entire enemy tank exploding in a fireball with its turret popping off.

“Excellent shot! Keep moving, driver! We need to get behind their lines to cut them off from reinforcements! The outermost tanks will flank around to entrap them!” Vasilov commanded.

All surviving tanks did as he told them, but there were heavy losses on both sides, and Vasilov’s tank escaped certain destruction numerous times due to other T-90’s taking out his attackers. The battle was so chaotic that Colonel Makarov from his Su-33 high above saw the flashes of light from the explosions and tracers of tank shell fire. Even Latyeskov, Ovchinnikov and Mayakova, who were in their Hind 250 meters from the battlefield, saw the flashes of light from the battle and heard the distant rumbling of tank cannons.

“My God, it’s like Kursk all over again…” Katyusha commented, looking out the window of the Hind.

“Indeed it is, Kat. These fascist bastards will rue the day they set foot on Muscovite soil, and when they took power in the first place,” Latyeskov replied, gritting his teeth.

“So, what’s the reasoning for capturing Petrenkov, anyway?” Vlad questioned, turning towards Latyeskov.

“By capturing General Petrenkov, we have a chance at revealing key defensive points in the Reich defensive line along the Siberian border. We have our suspicions as to where they are but we must be sure. That and it will give a premature end to this battle. Cutting off the head of the operation will make the rest of his forces uncoordinated and without supreme authority,” Latyeskov explained, stroking his thin beard.

“Sir, this is as far as I can get you without being spotted or heard! You’ll have to proceed the rest of the way on foot! Good luck out there!” the pilot said over the intercom as he opened the cargo bay door of the Hind, and the three of them stepped out, with Latyeskov in the front, Kat behind him, and Vlad covering their 6.

“Thank you, pilot! Good luck to you as well! And make sure to keep track of our position in case we don’t reply to your transmissions!” Latyeskov suggested.

“Affirmative, General Secretary!” the pilot said as he flew his Hind out of sight, back towards the battlefield.

CHAPTER 9 END

Date: March 7th, 2018 (8 PM)
Location: Eastern Moscow Oblast, Provisional Soviet Russian Republic

“Alright, activate your night-vision goggles, it’s already getting dark,” Rik commanded.

“Night-vision activated, no problems here,” Kat affirmed.

“No issues on my end either,” Vlad commented.

“We’re all set, let’s move!” Rik ordered, fast-walking with his AK-12 shouldered. Vlad and Kat followed, shouldering their weapons as well.

They walked on for about 30 minutes on the road that was in between two dense columns of forest. Night fell on the trio, and it was nearly pitch black. Suddenly they saw the light of a patrol of three Vodniks, with 2 soldiers flanking each Vodnik and armed with AK-74m’s, slowly approaching on the road. Vlad quickly went to the right, hiding in the shadows of foliage while Rik and Kat did the same on the left side, very carefully trying not to be spotted by their flashlights.

“You saw that Hind fly by here, right? Or am I going crazy?” one of them asked.

“No, I saw it too, damn thing was probably trying to sneak behind us. Maybe we scared him off?” the other questioned.

“Not likely, have you seen how our shit-show of an Air Force got wiped out by Strigon Team? Those damn Reapers will regret taking our skies,” the first grumbled back.

As the last Vodnik in the convoy drove past them, Rik accidentally stepped on a fallen tree branch, making a loud cracking noise. The closest soldier turned to see where it came from but couldn’t make it out, and thus approached.

“What the hell are you doing?! Do you WANT them to find us?!” Kat very faintly but hysterically whispered in her comms to Rik.

“What the…? The rest of you move on ahead, I’ll check it out,” the soldier in the back said.

As the soldier slowly creeped towards Rik’s position with his flashlight on, Rik tried to be as motionless as possible while prone as he approached. Kat warily snuck around out of the forested area, between the lone soldier and the Vodniks that were by now out of sight, and moved behind the soldier. After slinging her SVD-12 onto her back, she carefully unsheathed her machete from her boot with her right hand and reached around his right shoulder to stab him in the neck, using her left hand to muffle his shrieks of pain, slowly easing him to the ground and dragging him into the undergrowth. Rik looked at her like a deer in the headlights.

“Don’t worry, Rik, I’ll give you a solid punch in the face for that slip-up once this op is over,” she said to him in an almost soothing manner, although Rik could feel her anger in her words.

After walking for another 30 minutes, they finally were right outside the southern fence of General Petrenkov’s base camp. It was a 30 by 30 meter square complex with wired fences and wooden towers with searchlights at each corner, which were also armed with DShK machine guns. One taller tower was in the center, with a couple of snipers overlooking the whole outpost.

“Damn, it’s going to be a fucking mess getting in there,” Kat warned, scanning the area with her PSO-1 4x scope on her SVD-12.

“All the more challenging,” Vlad smirked, racking the bolt of his A-91.

“Wait, I see an opening, you two stay here and cover me until I give the all-clear to head over,” Rik suggested.

“Ooooh no no no! After almost botching this mission, I’ll check it out. You two boys stay put until I give the all-clear,” Kat snapped back.

“Fine then, ladies first,” Rik grumbled as she moved on ahead of them.

She snuck over, avoiding the searchlights with swift movements, tumbling from side to side. She stopped by a small opening on the eastern fence and pulled an open hand towards herself, signaling them to move forward, and they stealthily moved forward.

“Alright, good, the alarm system is right through here, we cut that and the power to the lights, and everything sways to our advantage,” Kat observed.

As they slowly creeped into the encampment, a faint but ominous laugh echoed around them, and suddenly there were searchlights trained on all three of them. Then an entire squad of Karzhovist-loyal Spetsnaz soliders stood with their guns pointed at the trio. They all defended a man who stood behind them. He was tall, thin, and in full Reich General uniform. His moustache eerily similar to a certain Fascist predecessor of his: it was General Nikolai Petrenkov.

“Such a disgraceful show you’ve put on for me, Latyeskov. Fuhrer Karzhov will be most pleased with my new trophies of war. 19th Reich Spetsnaz Detachment, arrest these traitors in the name of our Fuhrer!” Petrenkov ordered, smirking an evil grin.

CHAPTER 10 END

Last edited:
Date: March 8th 2018
Location: Moscow, Kremlin War Room, Provisional Soviet Russian Republic

“General Vasilov, sir, we have good news and bad news,” a Lieutenant in the New Soviet Army stood to attention and saluted to Vasilov.

“Start with the good news, Lieutenant,” Vasilov requested, with his hands folded behind his back and his facial expression possessing a worried look.

“Well, the good news is that our forces have driven back the Reich’s armies, which are in full retreat over the Siberian border,” the Lieutenant declared.

“What about Latyeskov? Did he complete his mission?” Vasilov asked.

“Well… that’s the bad news… Latyeskov been captured along with Vlad and Kat,” the Lieutenant whimpered.

“WHAT?! Why didn’t you chase Petrenkov’s forces and rescue him?! You let the leader of our Revolution be captured by Fascist dogs?!” Vasilov growled.

“N-no sir. They sent an ultimatum threatening that if we pursued their forces, their new hostages would’ve been executed,” the Lieutenant explained.

“Damn those vile Karzhovists! Latyeskov knew something like this would happen, and therefore for the time being I will take command until he is rescued. Do we know where he is being kept?” Vasilov asked.

“Oddly enough, Petrenkov chose the location of our old headquarters in the Ural Mountains,” the Lieutenant informed him.

“It must be a trap, it has to be! Goddamn Petrenkov, he has us by the fucking balls!” Vasilov snarled, slamming his fist on the desk in the war room.

MEANWHILE, IN LATYESKOV’S OLD BASE IN THE URAL MOUNTAINS…

Rik’s vision started to come back after being knocked unconscious, and upon waking up he recognized where he was, only to be facing the evil grin worn by Petrenkov.

“Good morning, General-Secretary Latyeskov!” Petrenkov cheerfully mocked.

“Where the hell am I, you bastard?!” Rik asked. He then realized his hands were cuffed and hung above him. Vlad was to his left and Kat to his right, both in the same position.

“You don’t recognize it, do you? It’s your old base! We found it after you pushed us into Siberia and took it over for ourselves. You did quite the job keeping it up to shape, given the age of this God-forsaken place,” Petrenkov said as he walked over to Kat with an unsheathed knife.

“Don’t you lay a goddamn finger on her!” Rik growled, gritting his teeth angrily.

“Oooh, it seems I’ve hit a nerve, haven’t I? You don’t want this delicate flower to be hurt, don’t you?” Petrenkov taunted, smirking.

“Call me a flower one more time, and you’ll be pushing fucking daisies yourself!” Kat shouted after also waking up. She was angrier than Rik ever witnessed, which scared him a bit.

“Hahaha, you amuse me, Katyusha Mayakova. Women like you are quite rare-AGH!” Petrenkov taunted her again before being interrupted by Kat who kicked him in the groin.

“Go ahead, spout more bullshit like that and I’ll kick your balls into a bloody pulp so that you feel like the woman you think I am!” Kat yelled, fuming with rage. Petrenkov slowly picked himself up but backed off from her.

“Now now, Karzhov gave me strict orders to keep you three alive, you wouldn’t want me to disobey that order, do you?” Petrenkov threatened.

“You think this war is over because you’ve captured my comrades and I, right? Keep thinking that, because you’re wrong. My forces will sweep in like a tempest and burn what’s left of your Reich to the ground!” Rik declared.

“Be as optimistic as you like, Latyeskov. Without you leading them, your Provisional Soviet Republics will soon crumble under our mighty treads and boots, and we will restore our glorious Reich and bring the rest of you Bolshevik scum to their knees! Behave yourselves until next week, when Karzhov will personally oversee your trial and execution,” Petrenkov said as he walked out of their cell. He closed the door and walked away as they heard him let out a cackling laughter.

CHAPTER 11 END
Date: March 12th 2018

General Sergei Vasilov looked at the map displayed in the war room of the Kremlin on the projector screen. It displayed a live view of Soviet and Reich borders, while Vasilov stroked his moustache with his right hand while his left hand held up his right arm by the elbow. He could see a dot on the map that was blinking; it was the location of their old base in the Ural Mountains, where Latyeskov and his friends were being held captive. Just then, a Soviet Lieutenant entered the War Room, interrupting his track of thought.

“Comrade General Vasilov, sir, Colonel Kalashnikov has returned from the Kazakh Front!” the Lieutenant announced, saluting.

“Ah, good, what is the progress on the Kazakh border?” Vasilov inquired.

“Perhaps it’d be more fitting for me to tell you personally, Sergei,” a voice echoed in the halls.

Just then a Spetsnaz soldier who was wearing winter-camouflaged combat gear entered the war room. He was just about 6 feet tall and skinny, 30 years old, black-haired and without facial hair.

“Ah, Nikolai, it’s a pleasure to see you, my friend. I hear the Kazakh Front is a nightmare," Sergei said.

“Yes, a nightmare for a Karzhovist. We’ve begun to push northward, but the damn mountains are hindering our assault, and the Karzhovists somehow dug themselves deep,” he looked around for a moment, “You’re alone? Where’s Latyeskov and the rest?” he questioned.

“Nikolai, the reason why I brought you here is that Latyeskov, Ovchinnikov and Mayakova have been captured by Reich General Petrenkov. They're being held captive in our old base in the Urals, and I was thinking that your 13th Spetsnaz Detachment could run a joint-op with the 12th,” Vasilov informed him.

“They’ve been captured?! For how long?!” Nikolai asked, with a worried look on his face.

“Only for about four days, however time is of the essence. We can’t just abandon our leader, nor his comrades. Will you do the honors of rescuing him, Nikolai?” Vasilov pleaded.

“Of course I will, Sergei. Now, how will we go about this?” Nikolai asked.

“Well, there’s an abandoned elevator shaft on the foot of the base to the southwest. Your team will go in through there while my forces attack the Reich defenders near the base, who’ve set up shoddy defenses. It shouldn’t take that long to break through, but they might also have called in reinforcements from the air, which is why I tasked Strigon Team to assist in the skies. You will infiltrate the base as stealthy as possible while the rest of the Reich forces inside the base is deployed and distracted by my forces. Once Latyeskov, Ovchinnikov and Mayakova are recovered, your men will exit the way you entered. Understood?” Vasilov explained as he clicked through the display screen and showed the layout of the base.

“Sounds simple enough, Sergei. I’ll be out of there faster than we can sing Invincible and Legendary!” Kalashnikov gloated.

“Very well then, Nikolai, and it’s General Vasilov to you. Just because I knew your father, that doesn’t mean I’ll play the ‘first-name basis’ game with you from here on out,” Vasilov jokingly scolded him, but still as if Nikolai was his son.

“Haha, Father always said you were the more serious one…” he said, then paused, and shed a tear, remembering his father before he was killed by Karzhovists when he rioted against them during their coup d’etat.

“I know, Nikolai, I miss Artyom as well. Remember, we will win this war and avenge his death, and right now we need to rescue Latyeskov in order to make that happen,” Sergei said, putting his right hand on Nikolai’s shoulder, comforting him. Nikolai wiped the tear from his eye.

“When will we head out?” Nikolai asked.

“Tomorrow morning. Get some rest, you’ll need it,” Vasilov told him.

“Very well, Ser-I mean General Vasilov. I’ll debrief my men before sundown,” Nikolai assured him and saluted.

As he walked out the door, Sergei remembered Artyom’s death, and gritted his teeth while clenching his fists at his hips.

MEANWHILE AT LATYESKOV’S OLD BASE THE NEXT MORNING…

“Vlad, Kat, you two awake?” Latyeskov whispered to them as they all slept on old cots in the cell. He awoke due to a very faint rumbling noise.

“Ugh, what is it Rik?” Kat awoke, dazed and weak.

Their living conditions, at the very least, were not far off than when they were in hiding in terms of sleeping conditions, but their poor nourishment was catching up to them.

“Tell the little shit to go back to sleep already, nobody’s fucking coming to get us!” Vlad grumbled with his face in his pillow.

“Then what was that rumbling noise?” Rik questioned.

Just then, voices could be heard whispering in the halls. He vaguely recognized one of them but couldn’t put the voice with the face. It got closer, enough so that they all could hear them.

“This hall is clear; they should be in this cell block, numbered 1138,” the man said to 4 other Spetsnaz soldiers who wore night-vision goggles and had silenced AK-12 rifles. Latyeskov instantly recognized Nikolai’s voice.

“Nikolai! It’s us! Get us the hell out of here!” Rik whispered, signaling them towards their cell.

“Leaving so soon? Such a pity, and I thought you three were such well-mannered guests,” a voice from the other side of the hall echoed; it was Petrenkov, who was smirking a bit and holding an MP-443 pistol. 10 Karzhovists filed in front of Petrenkov and pointed their AK-74m rifles at Nikolai and his men.

CHAPTER 12 END
Date: March 13th 2018
Location: Former Soviet Hideout, Ural Mountains, Disputed Territory

Both Kalashnikov’s 13th Spetsnaz soldiers and Petrenkov’s men stood motionless while pointing their rifles at each other. Rik, Vlad and Kat were standing in their cell, all anticipating a brutal firefight to ensue. Then Rik noticed Nikolai move his left thumb on the handguard of his AK-12, making some sort of signal. Quickly, one of his men shot a grenade out of an underbarrel grenade launcher at the Karzhovists’ feet. Thinking their end was near, they all simultaneously tried to move backwards out of the way, and Petrenkov was seen running away first, out of the prison cell and up the stairs to the helipad. Much to their surprise, however, the grenade launcher fired a smoke grenade that enveloped the Reich soldiers, disorienting them. Simultaneously, Nikolai and his team flipped down their infrared goggles and fired on them, killing all of them in the confusion.

“Where’s Petrenkov? Did we get him?!” Nikolai barked as the smoke cleared.

“No sir, he escaped before we could get him!” a soldier yelled back. Just then an alarm buzzed throughout the base.

“Damn that fucking coward! We have to leave ASAP, they’ll be more of those bastards coming! Stand back, General Secretary!” The trio stood as far back as possible, and Nikolai shot the lock of the door, and slid the grated gate open. Then Nikolai, Rik and the rest walked back where they came in, through an abandoned elevator shaft they blew a hole through since the entrance was sealed off. There was a cable that they could repel down from, which they did, and got into one of the Vodniks parked outside. Once inside, they drove off westward.

“So, why did we have to get out so quickly? I feel as though that alarm wasn’t for us,” Latyeskov said as they drove away, looking back at the base. Suddenly, they saw shells of artillery fire completely bombard the base. Luckily it didn’t cause an avalanche, but the explosion was spectacular.

“I didn’t want to ruin the surprise, my friend. It’s a… welcome home gift,” Kalashnikov smirked.

“I know one thing, after this ordeal, I won’t miss that place, haha!” Vlad commented.

“How’d you guys get in without being detected?” Kat asked.

“I’ll tell the three of you that wonderful tale, tonight when we drink plenty of vodka to celebrate your return, my friends!” Nikolai cheered as they drove off on the lengthy journey back to Moscow.

LATER IN MAGADAN…

On the wall of Karzhov’s office there was a portrait of the Fuhrer, making the Fascist Salute in full uniform, with a waving flag of the Russian Reich in the background. He sat in his chair, his hands forming an arch that was just below his nose, lost in his thoughts. Just then, he heard a knock on his door.

“Come in,” he signaled. A Reich soldier walked in and made the Fascist Salute.

“My Fuhrer, I have urgent news regarding the capture of Rik Latyeskov!” he proclaimed, standing to attention.

“At ease, Lieutenant. What news do you bring from the Urals?”

“My Fuhrer, it is… tragic to report that Latyeskov and his comrades escaped. Soon after their exit, Petrenkov and his soldiers were killed in a bombardment that completely destroyed the facility. Latyeskov has returned to enemy lines, and we have lost nearly a thousand good soldiers in the attack,” the lieutenant declared, with a defeated look on his face.

“Damnit! Every step I get towards revenge against Latyeskov, I always take two steps backwards! Petrenkov was one of my most trusted generals! The entire lot of those fucking Reds will rue the day they crossed me!” Karzhov yelled, slamming his fists onto his desk.

CHAPTER 13 END
Date: March 13, 2018 (9 PM)

It was an unusually cold night for March in Moscow, though it wasn’t snowing. Crowds of people, eager to see their nation’s leader return, flooded Red Square. Hundreds of Soviet flags flew in the crowd. Rik saw this as he rode in the passenger seat with Nikolai Kalashnikov driving. Vlad was driving the 2nd Vodnik while Kat was riding in the passenger seat of Vlad’s Vodnik.

“Look, General Secretary Latyeskov and his comrades have returned!” one bystander called out cheerfully.

“Our Revolution, and this war, is one step closer to victory!” another proclaimed, waving his flag.

Rik and his comrades parked right outside Lenin’s Mausoleum, and he walked up to the podium to give a short speech to the people. He stood at the center, with Katyusha on his left and Vladimir and Nikolai on his right. Other soldiers were present, standing guard, and Rik spoke to the eager crowd.

“Comrades: people of Soviet Russia, I am forever grateful to return to Moscow with all of you awaiting my return! When I stand here, where Georgi Zhukov stood 70 years before, I remember what patriotism and courage he showed when fighting our mortal enemy: fascism. When I see all of you wave the Latyeskovist banner, I gain the morale to keep striving for our eventual victory! I cannot be more humbled to lead you towards the light at the end of this dark and unrelenting tunnel. I am certain that no matter how long this war may take us, we will prevail with victory and triumph! Our Red Banner will forever fly over Moscow, and the banners of Karzhov’s Reich will burn! We will march into Magadan, triumphant and proud, and one day, a crimson dawn will rise, to shine away the darkness that is the Russian Reich! Long live Socialism, and glory to the New Soviet Armed Forces, the heroes of our Motherland that will end this war and bring justice to our nation! Ura!”

The entire Red Square cheered the famous Russian battlecry and erupted in thunderous applause. Then a few citizens started to sing the Internationale. Soon after, the entire Red Square echoed with the Internationale. When Latyeskov heard this, he couldn’t help but shed a tear of joy.

After the speech, Rik and his comrades returned to the Kremlin, and Rik returned to his desk, which was completely covered in mail from the 14 Republics excluding Russia. He wanted to organize it before heading to bed, so he could read it all the next day. Suddenly he heard a knock on the door.

“Who’s there?” Rik asked.

“It’s me, can we talk?” It was Katyusha.

“Sure, just close the door when you come in,” Rik said as he walked over to open the door for her. She looked somewhat agitated, and it caught Rik off guard.

“You idiot, you could’ve died!” Kat yelled before suddenly punching him in the face.

“The hell was that for?!” Rik yelled back, holding his left cheek.

Kat walked towards him with an angry expression on her face, as if preparing to punch him again, maybe to beat him senseless, which made Rik even more confused. She then hugged him tightly, to his bewilderment. She did so as if she didn’t want to lose him. Rik hugged her back, consoling her, while still somewhat confused at why she punched him.

“I’m worried about you, Rik… I don’t want you to get killed in this war, and I’m sure everyone else feels the same way,” Kat admitted.

“Kat, we’ve made it this far, and we’ll keep fighting Karzhov until the bastard’s corpse is paraded through Red Square on a pike!” Rik told her, embracing her back.

“But for how long must we keep fighting? Until you die in battle? Until everything we fought for disappears with your death?” Kat asked, tightening her embrace.

“As long as we need to fight. There’s no other answer I can give you,” Rik answered.

He suddenly realized the possibility of him dying, of everything he fought for becoming a distant memory. He saw a vision of the flag Katyusha drew for his New USSR, waving in the wind, only for it to be engulfed in a fiery inferno. Yet, in a way, this vision gave him all the more reason to fight for his Motherland and for his people.

“It’s only natural for you and the rest of the nation to be worried about my well-being, especially after that fiasco with Petrenkov… but I still want to fight… if a leader doesn’t fight with his comrades, then he is nothing more than a figurehead,” Rik boldly declared.

“That’s true, but I just worry that we might not be able to protect you on the battlefield… If you truly wish to fight with us, then I promise you that I’ll do everything in my power to protect you,” Kat declared.

"I appreciate your concern, thanks. I suspect that was all you wanted to talk to-” Before Rik could finish his sentence, Katyusha kissed him on the cheek.

“That will be all, General-Secretary Latyeskov,” she said, with a smile on her face.

“Uhm… very well then, Sergeant Mayakova,” he said, smiling as she turned around and walked out the door.

He was still taken aback from what she did before she left his office, as he went to bed in his quarters. Yet he knew that his feelings couldn’t let him get in the way of his main objective: bringing a swift end to the already devastating 2nd Russian Civil War.

CHAPTER 14 END
Date: January 20th, 2021 (9:00 PM)

It has been almost three years since the beginning of the 2nd Russian Civil War, and already the devastating conflict has taken its toll on both Soviet and Reich morale. Neither side is willing to give up their territory. However, as the Russian winter relentlessly storms onward, a daring plan by the Soviets will soon be set in motion.

Latyeskov walked in the halls of the Kremlin Senate building on his way to the War Room. He wore a greatcoat that was decorated in standard Soviet regalia, and his hands were folded behind his back. He paced the halls while flanked by two Kremlin Guardsman, who also wore greatcoats to stay warm during the harsh Russian winter. As he walked towards the War Room, he heard a familiar voice call out to him from behind him.

“Rik! Wait, let me catch up with you!” Katyusha Mayakova called out as she ran towards him, and she started to walk next to him as soon as she caught up.

“Hey, Katyusha, you’re heading to the War Room too?” he asked. He and Katyusha have gotten well-acquainted over the past three years, on numerous occasions saving each other in the field of battle. He often wondered when the time will finally come for the two of them to settle down, but he knew leading his New USSR would get in the way of that.

“Yeah, General Vasilov has something big planned, maybe it’ll end this damn stalemate in Siberia,” Katyusha informed him.

“I hope so, every time we push forward, the Reich just somehow bombards our forces out of nowhere. I wonder how they’re doing it… Anyway, how have you been these past few weeks?” Latyeskov asked.

“It’s been the usual, me and Vlad have been running operations with the rest of the 12th Detachment, how about you?” Katyusha asked.

“I’ve been discussing politics with the Governors of the Soviet Republics, and it’s been quite tiresome. I thought running a political party was hard, but trying to win a god-forsaken war has been exhausting. I’m thankful that General Vasilov knows what he’s doing, otherwise we would’ve lost this war by now,” Rik said as the two walked into the war room.

“All salute in General-Secretary Latyeskov’s presence!” General Vasilov shouted and all soldiers in the room saluted simultaneously. Vlad was to his right, with Nikolai to his left.

“At ease, comrades. What’s the situation on the Siberian Front?” Latyeskov questioned Vasilov.

“Latyeskov, you might be tired of me saying this, but unfortunately we’ve failed to break through yet again. Somehow those damned Karzhovists won’t budge. However, we may have found something behind enemy lines, 10 kilometers northeast of Novosibirsk, that might be the very thing hindering our advance,” Vasilov reported.

“This might be the mystery weapon that has been randomly destroying everything we sent over the Urals and the Kazkah-Siberian Border. Do we know what it is?” Latyeskov asked.

“It’s a weapon that the Reich had developed relatively quickly, I knew nothing of it but somehow Karzhov got his hands on it: an experimental rail-gun, supposedly made by the Russian Federation before its fall. It’s capable of knocking out tanks, artillery guns, even helicopters, from far behind the frontlines, and we believe it’s why the Reich has held the line for this long, though it’s odd that they haven’t used it offensively,” Vasilov explained.

“Perhaps they’ve realized a defensive war plays better in their favor, and they might be finally desperate for manpower. What is our objective, to destroy it, or perhaps somehow steal it, or at least its blueprints? If we built our own rail-gun, we could quickly turn the tide of the war,” Latyeskov pondered.

“Well, Latyeskov, I think you and your men will be doing both. Steal the blueprints and destroy the gun. Perhaps this will finally allow our forces to break through the Siberian border, and end this war with Karzhov’s head on a pike,” Vasilov ordered.

“Who will accompany me on this mission?” Latyeskov asked.

“Colonel Vladimir Ovchinnikov and Sergeant Katyusha Mayakova of the 12th Spetsnaz Detachment, and Colonel Nikolai Kalashnikov of the 13th Spetsnaz Detachment, will accompany you on this mission. You will be parachuting out of an IL-76 that will be escorted by Strigon Team, headed by Colonel Vasili Makarov,” Vasilov reported.

“And how will we return home? I want to make sure we don’t have a repeat of 3 years ago,” Latyeskov pondered.

“An Mi-24 Hind along with Strigon Team’s escort will transport you to Astana, Kazakhstan. There you will take another IL-76 back to Moscow. You’ve been fighting with us for quite a while, Latyeskov, and I’m surprised you’ve made it this far. Ovchinnikov and Mayakova have trained you well,” Vasilov said.

“That they have, General. When will we head out?” Latyeskov questioned.

“You will board the IL-76 at 2100 tomorrow, and the flight will take about 3 hours, marking your arrival at the target at about 2400, arriving in the middle of the night will give you and your men the element of surprise. Get some rest, comrades, you will need every second of it. I know you can pull this off,” Vasilov declared.

“Very well. Ovchinnikov, Mayakova, and Kalashnikov, I will see you three tomorrow evening. I have to let the Governor of the Russian Republic know of my absence for the time being,” Latyeskov declared.

“Yes sir!” Vlad, Kat and Nikolai shouted, saluting as Latyeskov and the two Kremlin Guardsmen walked out of the War Room and back to his quarters.

CHAPTER 15 END

Date: January 22nd, 2021 (12 AM)
Location: 4 kilometers above the outskirts of Novosibirsk, Russian Reich

“Alright, I think we’re above the target now. Tell me, Latyeskov, you ever jump out of a plane?” Vlad asked Rik, who was lost in a train of thought, thinking of the mission, and what they were about to do. He also thought about what it will be like once his New USSR is formed, and how life would be like once the war ends.

Rik, who held his suppressed AK-12 looked to Vlad who was sitting across from him, holding a suppressed RPK-12. Nikolai, who was checking his suppressed SR-2, sat next to Vlad. Kat sat next to Rik, looking down the scope of her suppressed SVD-12. They all awaited his response, and he finally spoke when his mind entered back into reality.

“Me? Skydive? Do I look like a VDV trooper to you?” Rik asked, slightly agitated that Vlad interrupted his thoughts.

“Well, like the Americans always say, there’s a first time for everything,” Vlad recited.

“I guess so. Speaking of the Americans, I find it odd that they’ve gone isolationist again. Weird, isn’t it?” Rik pondered.

“Indeed, and somehow it doesn’t feel right,” Vlad said.

“I know,” Rik replied, then got out a radio to talk to Colonel Makarov, who, along with the rest of Strigon Team, flew in a delta formation with the IL-76.

“Strigon Team, how’s the escort coming along?” Rik asked the Colonel.

“It’s going fine, oddly enough. Yet something doesn’t feel right. The moment we entered Reich airspace not a single Reich fighter squadron was found… wait, I spoke too soon! We’ve got 5 unknown enemy aircraft in delta formation coming straight at us! And fast!” Makarov frantically yelled.

“Hello, Colonel. We meet once again, but this time as enemies…” an unknown voice taunted Makarov, but he instantly recognized the man’s voice, and sheer terror overtook him.

“Sir, they suddenly broke formation! One of them is coming right for – AAAGH!” Strigon 6 yelled as a black PAK-FA with an Iron Cross-decorated Aquila emblem zoomed towards Strigon 6, firing an ODMM straight for his cockpit, killing him in a fiery explosion.

“Damn you to hell! Out of all the egotistical fucks in the Reich Air Force… it had to have been you… Fyodor Romanov…” Makarov growled.

“Ah, so you DO remember me! Such a shame that you turned down my offer to join in our little coup d’etat all those years ago… yet you didn’t even warn Putin of his imminent and untimely demise… Now, show me what your pitiful Strigon Team can do… against Aquila Squadron!” Fyodor laughed as he mocked him.

“How DARE you?! You’ll pay for this, Fyodor! You may have been a student in my squadron in the Russian Air Force, but don’t even THINK I will hold back because of that! The moment you betrayed us by joining Karzhov was the moment you sealed your own fate!” Makarov snarled, fuming with anger, over Fyodor revealing his secret to the rest of his men.

Makarov saw Fyodor’s PAK-FA on his radar from behind, attempting to shoot down another Strigon Team member but Makarov quickly broke formation and shot a few bursts of machine-gun fire at Fyodor’s PAK-FA, which was too fast and maneuverable to hit with machine guns.

“Strigon Team, assume attack formation! Do NOT under any circumstances let them hit our escort! Drive these Aquila bastards away from them so our escort can deploy! Do I make myself abundantly clear?!” Makarov shouted, boiling with white-hot rage.

“Yes, sir!” the rest of Strigon Team responed to his command, and they followed his order.

Strigon Team broke formation with the IL-76 and pursued Aquila Squadron. Both fighter groups were evenly matched in terms of skill, and Strigon Team had more numbers, however all five Aquila Squadron members possessed the high-tech PAK-FA that was more maneuverable than their Su-33 Flankers.

“I’ve got one of them on my tail! He’s got a lock!” Strigon 8 panicked as he heard the lock-on alert beep in his cockpit.

“I have you now, Bolshevik scum!” Aquila 3 said, smirking under his oxygen mask. Just as he fired an ODMM at Strigon 8, Strigon 5 swooped from below and shot the missile with his machine gun just before it impacted.

“Die, you fascist bastards! Burn in hell!” Strigon 5 shouted, firing his machine gun at Aquila 3.

Strigon 5 attempted to chase Aquila 3 but the PAK-FA was faster than his Su-33. He also couldn’t get a lock on Aquila 3 due to his PAK-FA’s superior maneuverability. Aquila 3 then slowed down and did a barrel roll to get behind Strigon 5, and then Aquila 3 shot his machine guns at Strigon 5 directly in the engine, sending his fighter spinning and on fire.

“I can’t bail out! The lever’s jammed-AAAAGH!” Strigon 5 said as his fighter became engulfed in flames and exploded.

“God damnit! Latyeskov, tell the IL-76 to open the hatch so you can deploy! We’ll distract them, but I don’t know how long we can manage!” Makarov shouted.

“Pilot, open the hatch! We’re deploying as planned!” Latyeskov shouted.

The back door of the IL-76 opened, and behind them they could see the streaks of machine gun fire and missiles in the distance.

“It was an honor flying you to your destination, sir!” the pilot shouted.

“Likewise, pilot! Go, go, go!” Latyeskov shouted as he, Kat, Vlad, and Nikolai leaped out of the IL-76, skydiving down to get away from the plane. Just then the pilot was heard in their comms.

“Long live the Soviet Union!” the pilot yelled before his IL-76 took an ODMM straight into the cargo hold and was obliterated.

CHAPTER 16 END

Date: January 22nd, 2021 (1 AM)

The sound of jets zooming past each other along with the occasional burst of cannon and missile fire faded away as Latyeskov’s squad zoomed down to Earth to try and get away from the vicious dogfight looming overhead. They passed through the clouds and eventually the four soldiers saw the gargantuan weapon that was their target. The Gungnir-class Experimental Railgun was the first of its kind: a very large complex, about 100 meters in length and width, and 30 meters in height, with the actual cannon of the railgun a total of 125 meters in length, emplaced on a swivel similar to how modern-day telescopes are mounted. The dome that the cannon stood inside was 20 meters high and 20 meters wide. Barb-wired fences surrounded the complex, with the Reich’s flag flying on poles that were placed on each corner of the building. The Iron Cross, the insignia for Karzhov’s fascist movement, was also present on the barrel of the massive cannon. Since Vlad was now acting commander of the squad due to Latyeskov’s request, he was calling the shots. Rik, Nikolai, and Kat all awaited Vlad’s signal to engage their parachutes and descend onto the railgun emplacement.

“This is Colonel Ovchinnikov, everyone sound off!” Vlad shouted in their comms as they all skydived down to the ground.

“Latyeskov, aye!”

“Mayakova, aye!”

“Kalashnikov, aye!”

“On my mark, release your parachutes in 3… 2… 1… release!” Vlad barked the order, and simultaneously all four of them released their parachutes and descended in the woods about 50 meters away from the railgun.

“Activate night-vision goggles,” Vlad ordered as the rest of them did as he commanded.

They walked through the woods with ever-cautiously placed steps, towards the Gungnir Railgun, which fired an ear-piercing shot that shook the earth beneath them. As they got closer, they spotted a convoy of Reich troop transports driving towards it, deploying 40 soldiers.

“Hmph, they have this place pretty heavily-guarded. You think they saw us coming?” Rik asked.

“Not likely, our previous reports stated this amount of troop emplacement was normal,” Kat answered, looking through her scope to see what the Reich troops were doing.

“Well one thing’s for sure, we’re damn well not going in the front. We should stick to the outlying wooded area and sneak around the back. I think when we descended I saw that the back-entrance had only two guards,” Nikolai commented.

“Very well then, let’s go,” Vlad acknowledged.

The squad slowly creeped around and were in position to move towards the back entrance, which, as Nikolai stated, was guarded by two Reich soldiers, armed with AK-74m assault rifles. The wooded area where Rik's squad hid was high enough so that the barbed fence wasn’t blocking their line of sight, so they were able to take the guards out.

“Alright, here’s the plan. Kat, you shoot the search light out above the door, and that will be the signal for when I take out the one on the left and when Rik kills the guard on the right,” Vlad ordered.

“I guess it’s lights out for them,” Kat joked.

“Hmph, and I was the idiot who brought an SMG,” Nikolai grumbled, looking disappointingly at his SR-2.

“On my mark in 3… 2… 1… mark,” Vlad signaled.

Immediately afterward, Kat shot the spotlight above the door out, confusing the two guards.

“The hell was-AGH!” the guard on the right exclaimed before being shot in the head by Rik’s AK-12.

“Beautiful, both targets are down, let’s move up,” Vlad ordered as the squad moved towards the fence.

Vlad then took out an aerosol spray can and sprayed a human-sized hole in the fence, and then pulled the area of the fence where he sprayed the can, and it just took a couple tugs to pop that part of the fence off. They then moved through the hole in the fence, and got to the door. Vlad and Nikolai leaned on the left side, while Rik and Kat leaned on the right side of the doorway.

“Rik, you throw in a smoke grenade when I open the door. Everyone, activate infrared mode on our goggles. Ready… go!” Vlad ordered.

Rik threw in a smoke grenade as Vlad opened the door. Disoriented and taken completely by surprise, the soldiers inside the hallway tried raising the alarm but couldn’t see where they were going, and were all killed by Rik and his squad. Just then, the alarms echoed throughout the halls.

“Son of a bitch! How the hell did they get alerted by our presence?!” Vlad growled.

“No idea!” Rik yelled over the alarm.

“We need to get to the control room to get the blueprints, then to the magazine in order to rig the munitions with C4! How do we get there?!” Nikolai asked the rest of the squad.

“I think he knows!” Kat answered as the smoke cleared, pointing to a Reich soldier down the hall, who had just activated the alarm.

As he tried getting away, Kat put a round right through his leg, immobilizing him. He fell to the floor and dropped his rifle. Then she ran towards the wounded Reich soldier and grabbed him by his collar, putting him against the wall.

“Where’s the control room?!” Kat snarled, pointing a suppressed MP-443 to his neck.

“I’m not telling you a goddamn thing, Bolshevik cunt-AGH!” he was interrupted when Kat kneed him in the groin.

“You better or you’ll be singing Soprano in hell!” Kat growled, tightening her grip on the soldier’s collar.

“Fine, just keep going straight and then down the stairs! The control room is behind the reinforced door!” the soldier panicked.

“See? That wasn’t so hard,” Kat said calmly before shooting him in the head with her pistol.

“Let’s go before our friends outside start flooding this place! And shut that goddamn alarm off!” Vlad shouted as they ran down the hall and down the stairs. Rik slammed the alarm button to turn it off, and caught up with his squad.

CHAPTER 17 END
Date: January 22nd, 2021 (1:30 AM)
Location: Gungnir-class Experimental Railgun, Novosibirsk, Russian Reich

Rik, Vlad, Kat and Nikolai ran down the stairs and stopped in front of the sealed door that the Reich guard described. It was a reinforced double-door, steel-clad and multi-layered, as if it were an entrance to a bunker.

“How in the hell are we going to get through this damn thing?” Vlad questioned.

“We don’t have enough C4 to blow it open,” Kat commented.

“Wait a minute, there’s a keycard slot here, maybe that Reich soldier had one on him,” Rik said.

“Me and Kat will stay here while you and Nikolai get the card from him, go!” Vlad commanded.

Rik and Nikolai bolted back up the stairs and down the hallway, and Nikolai began searching for the keycard while Rik watched the other perpendicular hallways.

“Alright, I got the keycard, let’s move before - oh shit,” Nikolai said as he heard a large number of footsteps get closer to them.

“RUN!” Rik shouted as he saw 30 Reich soldiers armed with AK-74m rifles sprint down the hallway about 10 meters away from them.

“Don’t let a single Bolshevik live! Open fire!” the commander of the Reich force shouted.

Rik and Nikolai sprinted back down the hallway and nearly jumped down the stairs as they felt bullets whiz by their heads.

“There’s a whole fucking Reich platoon up there! Let me open the damn door!” Nikolai said as he knocked Vlad away from the keycard slot.

With his hands fumbling and shaking, Nikolai frantically swiped the keycard rapidly. Once the door opened, the squad rushed inside and quickly closed the door again, locking it. The control room was empty, though it had numerous computer terminals, and had a map of Russia on the main view screen. It also had key Reich encampments all across Siberia highlighted, with Magadan as the de facto capital.

“My God, we’ve hit a gold mine. Nikolai, download all the data you can about this rail gun and every Reich outpost in Siberia. I think we’ve basically won the war,” Vlad ordered.

“Affirmative. Also, the magazine is in the next room. I’ll plant the C4 charge on one of the shells, though we’ll only have 5 minutes to get out. There’s a Vodnik parked outside that we can drive, it’s just out the front,” Nikolai said as he typed on the computer.

“Very well then, is everything downloaded and ready to go?” Vlad asked.

“Almost… and… got it!” Nikolai said as he ran towards another reinforced door that was opposite to the door they walked in. He put the keycard in the slot, and it opened, and thankfully no guards were inside the magazine room. Once they were inside, Nikolai placed the C4 charge on one of the shells.

“Ok, five minutes from now and this place will be nothing but rubble! We better get to that Vodnik!” Nikolai cautioned.

They ran up the stairs and out the front door. Outside was the Vodnik that Nikolai mentioned, and just as they got inside of it, Reich troops flooded out of the door they just exited, firing their AK-74m rifles.

“Rik, get on the turret! Mow those fuckers down!” Vlad shouted over the gunfire.

Rik climbed into the gunner seat and fired the KPV heavy machine gun at the Reich soldiers as Nikolai tried hotwiring the vehicle. Once it started up, they attempted to drive to their rendezvous point about a kilometer to the south, however two more Reich Vodniks pursued them. Rik managed to shoot the driver of one of the Vodniks, which veered off the road and into the woods, crashing into a tree. He hit the tire of the other Vodnik, making it swerve the opposite way and it faced a similar demise. Just then, the Gungnir-class Railgun exploded in the distance in a fiery hellstorm, leveling it to the ground.

“Haha! Their goes Karzhov’s favorite toy! Now, where the hell is our flight out of here?!” Vlad shouted from the back of the Vodnik.

“Well, I see a helicopter… but I don’t see a red star on it…” Rik cautioned.

In the distance, a Reich Mi-28 Havoc soared towards their position, firing missiles at their Vodnik, which Nikolai responded to by driving in a zig-zag maneuver on the road.

“Goddamnit, get that fucker off of us!” Nikolai shouted from the driver seat.

“I would be able to if you would stop jerking around so much!” Rik yelled back at him.

The helicopter then started firing its machine guns, and nearly hit one of the tires, but the armor on the Vodnik just barely allowed for the bullets to ricochet away from the tires. Then the Havoc stopped shooting for a few seconds, and then Rik had a clear shot on both the gunner and pilot seats of the Havoc, and he took the shot. Riddling the cockpit with 14.5mm shells, the Havoc’s cockpit exploded, and the rest of the helicopter nearly crashed on top of them, knocking them off course, and they crashed into the woods. Nikolai, Vlad and Kat were knocked unconscious, but Rik was barely able to see an old man with a Siberian wolf at his side walk towards the wreckage. As the old man walked over, he tried pulling Rik and his comrades out of the Vodnik.

“Don’t worry, friend, I keep you safe for now,” the old man said before Rik fell into unconsciousness.

CHAPTER 18 END
Date: January 23rd, 2021 (7 AM)

The five members of the Reich Air Force’s Aquila Squadron flew their PAK-FA’s in delta formation towards the airstrip outside of Magadan, with Colonel Fyodor Romanov at the head of the formation.

“This is Reich Air Force Colonel Fyodor Romanov of Aquila Squadron, requesting permission to land,” the Colonel radioed to the control tower.

“Ah, Colonel Romanov, what is your clearance code?” the Reich officer standing in the control tower asked.

“My clearance code is Tango Hotel Xray dash Eleven Thirty-Eight,” Romanov stated.

“Permission granted, Colonel. Welcome home, Aquila Squadron,” the Reich officer confirmed.

The five aircraft landed on the airstrip, and the officer stood in front of the PAK FA’s cockpit. 50 Reich soldiers marched and flanked either side of Romanov’s cockpit, and as the Colonel exited his PAK-FA, all of the soldiers, including the officer, made the Fascist Salute.

“Colonel Romanov, I hear you’ve beaten those damned Reapers last night. The Fuhrer is expecting you,” the officer congratulated him, extending his hand as if he expected to shake Romanov’s hand.

“You may dispense with the pleasantries, Lieutenant. Tell the Fuhrer I will meet with him shortly,” Romanov said with a slightly agitated expression on his face as he ignored the Lieutenant’s gesture and stormed off to board a Vodnik that was on its way to the Reich’s HQ. Upon Romanov’s arrival to the Reich’s War Room, he knocked on Karzhov’s office door three times.

“Come in, Colonel,” Karzhov said from the other side of the door.

Romanov was scared to open it. Even though he helped in Karzhov’s coup d’etat five years ago, he was still intimidated by his Fuhrer. After when he saw Karzhov kill General Chernov in cold blood for disobeying a direct order, he feared what would happen if he failed his own objective. Upon opening the door, he saw Karzhov looking out the window of his office, with his hands folded behind his back. Turning around, he showed a slight grin on his face.

“Fyodor, have a seat, my friend,” Karzhov spoke.

Romanov sat down in the chair that faced the front of Karzhov’s desk, and Karzhov sat behind it.

“So, you’ve returned from your mission. Were our reports successful? Did you encounter Makarov and his pitiful band of pilots?” Karzhov questioned.

“Indeed, my Fuhrer, and we crushed their resolve,” Romanov hesitated a bit, to try and construct his next few sentences as carefully as possible.

“I sense doubt in your words, Fyodor. Tell me the truth,” Karzhov demanded, growing impatient.

“M-my Fuhrer, we’ve managed to kill five members of Strigon Team… however… Makarov still lives… he and the other 7 Strigon Team members fled our airspace,” Romanov reported, his forehead sweating, and trembling with fear of what his punishment would be.

“And why were they flying right over our Gungnir railgun?” Karzhov interrogated, agitated that Makarov is still alive.

“They deployed a small force of paratroopers, possibly to infiltrate Gungnir,” Romanov answered.

“Oh, so you haven’t heard, then? Shortly before your friend Makarov and his cronies left our airspace, and about an hour after this squad of paratroopers deployed, we’ve received disturbing news that Gungnir was DESTROYED! An entire platoon of our best troops died in the blast!” Karzhov growled, slamming his fist on his desk.

“Forgive me, my Fuhrer, I won’t let you down next time,” Romanov whimpered.

“Next time?! The next time you see Makarov flying in our airspace will probably be when Latyeskov and his Bolshevik armies storm Magadan! Your failure to kill that squad of paratroopers, and your failure to end Strigon Team’s existence, possibly cost the Reich its life! Without Gungnir, our defenses will be nothing against the damned Soviet tide! Pray that day of reckoning never happens, Colonel, or we will both never live to see the day after that one! Do I make myself clear?!” Karzhov ranted, fuming with rage.

“Y-yes, my Fuhrer,” Romanov said, defeated.

“Get out of my sight. And don’t come back until Makarov’s Flanker is his own steel coffin!” Karzhov yelled as he pointed Romanov out of his office.

CHAPTER 19 END
Date: January 23rd, 2021 (9 AM)

Latyeskov awoke inside an old shack, lying in a rugged bed. The last thing he remembered seeing was an old man with a Siberian wolf at his side, pulling him and his comrades out of the wrecked Vodnik that they tried to leave the area with. He looked around and saw Vlad, Kat and Nikolai next to him, lying in the same type of rugged bed as he did. Groggy and grimacing from a headache, he slowly sat himself up from the bed.

“Where am I…” Rik groaned, scratching his head.

“You safe with me, friend. I take care of your comrades. It is good to see you are awake,” an old man with a beard and tattered clothes said as he walked in their room to check on them, with his Siberian wolf next to him.

“Who are you?” Rik asked, cautiously looking at the wolf.

“Don’t worry, Fenrir is nice wolf. And my name Helios Kalugin, friend. And you, General-Secretary Rik Latyeskov, no?” the old man asked, his Russian slightly broken.

“Indeed I am, Mr. Kalugin. How did you know?” Rik asked, intrigued.

“Please, Latyeskov, call me Helios. I see you in newspaper, how Reich falsely call you bad man. I spoke out against Reich lies, and they destroy my potato farm, confiscate all but my home. I like potato farm, it help many starving citizens suffering Reich oppression, but Reich does not care. Karzhov is bad man, not you. You care for people, like I do,” Helios said, stroking his beard as he sat down next to Rik.

Rik nodded in agreement and looked around. Then he noticed an old Soviet uniform hanging up on a coat rack in the closet across from him, most likely from the end of the Great Patriotic War.

“Forgive me for asking, Helios, but did you fight in the Great Patriotic War? I noticed your uniform in that closet over there,” Rik asked.

“Yes, I fought in Great Patriotic War. Dutifully and proudly. Served in Battle of Berlin under Third Shock Army. Grand but horrible battle. Death on both sides. Berlin in ruins. Innocent Germans killed. It was… bittersweet. I paraded in Red Square. Marched under Stalin’s watchful eye. I, as just another soldier in vast Red Army, did not go unnoticed by NKVD. Found out I was against Stalin, I knew he manipulated Lenin’s true words. Placed into labor camp up north, in Vorkuta. Though lucky to live, it was terrible place. Many friends died there. Eventually, Khrushchev ended Vorkuta camp. Was set free, and lived in Novosibirsk ever since… Promise me, Latyeskov, that you not become man like Stalin. Stalin of my time, and Karzhov of your time, two sides of same coin,” Helios demanded.

“Of course, Helios. I fully sympathize with everyone who was wrongfully hurt under Stalin’s regime. I’ve made it clear with every one of my supporters and my inner circle of comrades that I am anti-Stalinist. I will correct the mistakes of the past, and make the Soviet Union what it was supposed to be,” Rik assured him, extending his hand to shake Helios’s hand.

“Good, I want next generation of Soviets to live in peace and happiness…” Helios said, shaking Rik’s hand.

Suddenly, a loud knock was heard on the front door of Helios’s house.

CHAPTER 20 END
Date: January 23rd, 2021 (9:30 AM)

“This is Major Yuri Tupolev of the Reich Army. You are under arrest for crimes against the state, and for committing acts of false propaganda. Come quietly and you will not be harmed,” a voice from the other side of the door demanded.

“What in the hell was-” Vlad grumbled as he awoke.

“Shh! There are Reich soldiers right outside! Quietly wake everyone else so that we can figure something out. Helios, do you have our weapons and any kind of telephone we can use? I need to call General Vasilov,” Rik whispered.

“Yes, I have your weapons and telephone, downstairs. Wake two other comrades. I’ll have Fenrir deal with Reich soldier outside,” Helios whispered.

“Nikolai, Katyusha, get up, head downstairs, get our weapons. If shit hits the fan, we fight our way out,” Vlad quietly commanded as he nudged both of them awake.

“Great, just another morning in the Russian Reich,” Kat complained as she got out of her bed.

“You can say that again,” Nikolai retorted.

The four of them ran down the basement and put on their gear, grabbed their weapons and reloaded them. Rik dialed an encrypted number in the telephone on the wall.

“This is General Sergei Vasilov of the New Soviet Army speaking. With whom do I have the pleasure of talking to?” Vasilov said, stroking his moustache while sitting in his office at the Soviet barracks in Astana, Kazakhstan.

“Thank God, Vasilov, it’s me, Latyeskov! We’re still alive but we’re hiding in an old Soviet veteran’s house near Novosibirsk. Can you send any support our way? We need an evac, stat! Reich troops are outside the door, trying to arrest the old man who saved our lives!” Rik told him, frantically.

“Latyeskov! I knew you were alive, haha! We’ve already sent a search party to Novosibirsk an hour ago, and should be liberating the city shortly,” Vasilov informed him.

Just then, Rik heard the door knock down and the Reich soldier yelling at Helios.

“Go go go!” Vlad shouted as they all ran up the stairs.

They saw Helios handcuffed by the Reich soldier, but just as the Reich officer was about to haul him out of the door, Fenrir leaped onto the soldier out of nowhere and viciously attacked him, biting at his neck and killing him by crushing his neck with his jaws. Latyeskov then grabbed the keys to his handcuffs and released Helios.

“Thank you, Rik, though more soldiers outside!” Helios warned.

Rik slowly opened the door, and he saw about ten Reich troops behind barricades point their guns at the door. Then he heard the unmistakable sound of an Mi-24 Hind zoom overhead, firing missiles and machine guns at the Reich soldiers, killing them. Once it landed, the pilot opened the hatch.

“Latyeskov! Get you and your men in the Hind! The rest of our forces are not too far behind! We’ve finally broken the Reich’s line of defense!” a familiar face said.

“Vasili Makarov! Since when did you fly a Hind?!” Rik shouted over the rotors spinning.

“No time to explain, let’s get the fuck out of here!” Makarov demanded.

“Latyeskov, it was honor to take care of you and comrades! Farewell, give Karzhov my regards when victorious!” Helios yelled to Rik.

“Likewise, and stay safe, my friend! I will one day return the favor!” Rik said as he and the rest of his squad boarded the Hind and took off.

CHAPTER 21 END