Create a Victorian era Dystopia

Well one direct way to make the Victorian Era decidedly crapper is have King Leopold rule over more of Africa and for longer.
----------------
And then give him a free state in the Yucatan during th intervention where he turns the Mayans against the other people there.

OOh, I just got another idea, maybe the Maoris and Australian Aboriginals form actual states and wars occur there until the 1900s. Also, are you planning on writing something based on this?

One way to race-screw would be the passage of a Constitutional amendment to protect slavery.
A supreme screw would be if said amendment passed and yet the South or another region seceded from the Union and there were a Civil War.

OTL's Victorian Era was rather dystopian as it is, simply because of the living conditions of the new industrial working class.

Does anyone know the states that were supposedly supposed to be involved in the Northwest Conspiracy? I hear conflicting things. One source mentions Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri. Another leaves out Missouri and instead mentions Kentucky. I also swear I've heard Michigan mentioned, but I can't find a source mentioning that.
I'm also reading conflicting things on what exactly it was. It's either said to be a plot to cause uprisings and insurrections and civil disarray in cities in the Old Northwest, where Copperhead Democrats and Confederate sympathizers and Confederate prisoners of war lay, and thus cause a major problem for the North, or it was an attempt at establishing an independent nation in the Old Northwest out of states that would secede from the Union and form a Northwest Confederacy, which would cripple the Union and force them to end the war.

EDIT:
http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_f...california-tried-to-split-from-the-north.html

On top of California seceding from the Union on the whole, I forgot about the prospect of Southern California seceding from the Union and joining the Confederacy. This would possibly mix well with Confederate attempts to claim/keep their Arizona territory, and would further complicate things in the West for the Union.

Last edited:
Are there any further ways for the Civil War to become more like WW1? I mentioned gas warfare, for one, as well as the further and massive adoption of the Gatling gun, and also the innovation and adoption of repeating/revolving/bolt action/etc rifles. There's the prospect of trench warfare. I know there was some of that, but I don't know the extent, and perhaps the Gatling gun alongside longer range rifles would be enough to lead to massive use of trench warfare.

Are there any further ways for the Civil War to become more like WW1? I mentioned gas warfare, for one, as well as the further and massive adoption of the Gatling gun, and also the innovation and adoption of repeating/revolving/bolt action/etc rifles. There's the prospect of trench warfare. I know there was some of that, but I don't know the extent, and perhaps the Gatling gun alongside longer range rifles would be enough to lead to massive use of trench warfare.
If the invention of barbed wire had come 10 years earlier, it could be used widly.

I wish I knew more about your important European wars to contribute. But I'm a Yankee.:(
I dont know much either as I am also on the other side of the Atlantic. But from what i can tell, the Crimean War was a war of attrition with a coalition bogged down in Crimea fighting the Russians in seiges, so with Barbed Wire it could turn deadly. But I hope you know about the Civil War.

More ideas.

• Swedes and Prussians enter Crimean War.
  • Crimean War front in Central Asia (Great Game).
  • No Geneva Conference.
  • More Carlist Wars.
  • Longer Belgian Revolution that possibly ends up with a worse resolution.
  • Chartist Revolution.
  • During the Nationalistic 1830s Gascons, Scots, Normans, Irish, Bretons, Occitans and others rise up.
  • More german states have prussia style armys and wars are deadlier, or wars of german unification go 30 years war mk. 2.
  • Swiss civil war between "Germans", "French", and "Italians".
  • Austria (Austria-Hungary) implodes.
  • More anarchist assassinations.
  • Chinese style "gang cliques" of immigrants in the US citys.
  • US southwest native americans have low level guerilla wars into the 1900s.
  • Wars between US immigrants.
  • Tenser US-British Relations after ships fire on each other in the Great Lakes.
  • Fenians go to Africa and form a Boer Republic type thing.

I have an idea, the Alliance of the Three Emperors is aligned against the Anglo-Swedo-Franco-Ottoman Entente. The German Ironworks come out with Barbed Wire and sell it to Russia. It is now the 1880s and the Crimean War will occur, with a Crimean Front, a Northern Front, a Central Asian fron (India/The "Stans"), and the German-Supplied Boers going against the British.

European saliors take Haast Eagle eggs from New Zealand. Within a few years Feral populations ravage the livestock of every major nation on earth, as men riding the backs of Haast eagles dog fight in the great war.

ArKhan's comment got me thinking, what invasive species could we import to Europe? Canadian Geese perhaps, anything else? Something non-edible that spreads like wildfire that takes over from the natural grasses and wheat? Could Kudzu thrive anywhere on the continent? What animals could we include to further our nefarious means?