County-BAM

You know what? The civil engineer that I never was feel the aching urge to straighten the Mississippi River. Just saying.

JJohnson

Banned
Brilliant work. It will be very useful for many future projects I feel.

Agreed. This is amazing work.

Not to pile on your plate, but would it be possible to have a Mexico and Canada County map in the same scale? That'd be great for Alt-Hist Maps of varying states like an Ottawa (Ontario Peninsula) or Rio Grande, etc. Perhaps a historic (19th century) Great Britain counties? The old 39 counties of England and so on would be nice to see again in the same scale, and maybe the German Empire also.

Agreed. This is amazing work.

Not to pile on your plate, but would it be possible to have a Mexico and Canada County map in the same scale? That'd be great for Alt-Hist Maps of varying states like an Ottawa (Ontario Peninsula) or Rio Grande, etc. Perhaps a historic (19th century) Great Britain counties? The old 39 counties of England and so on would be nice to see again in the same scale, and maybe the German Empire also.

There's already some maps for the old English counties floating about the place, though not on the same scale (and frankly that's not likely to be all that useful anyway). I'll see if I can find a link when I get home.

Chicxulub

Banned
I would like some help with drawing the Congressional Districts, especially in the extremely gerrymandered state.

Final County map

Chicxulub

Banned
Here's a minor update to the County-BAM, I fixed a few areas where I forgot to fill in the water, and I added the border between Currituck and Dare counties in North Carolina.

UIW2eq3.png

And here's a modified version with lighter county borders, which I think looks better.

IeiXFQ4.png

Last edited:

JJohnson

Banned
Here's a minor update to the County-BAM, I fixed a few areas where I forgot to fill in the water, and I added the border between Currituck and Dare counties in North Carolina.

And here's a modified version with lighter county borders, which I think looks better.
I like this county map. With a few alterations it would be a good base for an alternate US with Rio Grande, Baja California (split California along that straight line county), Arizona's coast, Nova Scotia, Columbia (49° to 52° N of British Columbia), Ottawa (Ontario Peninsula) (and other Canadian/American states), Virgin Islands (US+UK), Bahamas, Bermuda, American Polynesia, etc.

Chicxulub

Banned
I have an announcement to make. I am restarting the County-BAM, this time I'm basing it off the 2015 county wall map from the Census Bureau website. The new County-BAM will be 80% larger, and will have cleaner and more accurate borders and coastlines.

I have an announcement to make. I am restarting the County-BAM, this time I'm basing it off the 2015 county wall map from the Census Bureau website. The new County-BAM will be 80% larger, and will have cleaner and more accurate borders and coastlines.

MY BODY IS READY

Chicxulub

Banned
Live progress, will be updated as each state is finished.

Counties done: 335 (10.66%)
States done: 6 (12%)

Currently working on: New England

Last edited:
At this size, we could make a reasonable town map of the US.

Far from every state has uniform towns, and the ones that don't generally have completely insane municipal borders. Have a good look at South Carolina or Alabama in OSM at some point and you'll see what I mean.

Far from every state has uniform towns, and the ones that don't generally have completely insane municipal borders. Have a good look at South Carolina or Alabama in OSM at some point and you'll see what I mean.
Jefferson_County_Alabama_Incorporated_and_Unincorporated_areas_Birmingham_Highlighted.svg

...I think I see your point.

At least New York has nice town lines. If you ignore the villages, it could be mapped out pretty easily.

350px-Monroe_County_(New_York)_-_Towns,_Villages,_and_City.svg.png

Chicxulub

Banned
However, for an example, Alabama has County Civil Divisions, which are a rough equivalent to the Minor Civil Divisions seen throughout the Midwest and Northeast.