Countries that could have pulled a Braganza/Taiwan

If the Soviets did not accept peace with Finland 1940, I could see the Finnish government flee to the Åland islands and remaining there under the protection of Sweden.
Why would they trade one former master for another? They can just as easily (and far more safely) go to London as all the other governments in exile.

This happened IRL with the Knights of ST. John who fled from the levant to Rhodes to Malta. The Kingdom of Jerusalem also did this when it retreated to Cyprus after the Mamluks overran them in the Levant. you could also count byzantine breakaways ways like Theodoros, Achaea, Morea and the Trapezuntines, There was A Lot of rump states in the Levant and Anatolia during the late middle ages.

Why would they trade one former master for another? They can just as easily (and far more safely) go to London as all the other governments in exile.

The British were not at war with the Soviets and were not really interested in antagonising them, seeing them as a future ally as Germany. Better to stay in territory that at least had some connection to the old country.

Pedro the first funnily enough pulled a "reverse Braganza" where he ruled the now independent Brazil but would send troops to secure the rule of his daughter in Portugal before being exiled from Brazil itself and returning to Portugal

Also if the republicans won the spanish civil war or an Axis Victory scenario took place that resulted in a invasion of Portugal they could have pulled a Braganza again by going to one of their colonies that the portuguese claimed to be their provincies and thus part of Portugal itself
Imagine the Portuguese Empire being ruled by Angola
Pedro I/IV did declare the independence of Brazil and became its first Emperor, but he was not exiled, he abdicated in is five years old son, the future Pedro V, and departed for London and Paris to organize an army to invade Portugal and capture is brother Miguel I, that had usurped the throne that the portuguese Parliament had recognized rightfully belonged to Pedro and that he, that wanted to stay in Brazil, gave to is daughter Maria da Glória, the future Maria II of Portugal.
He did in fact invade Portugal, whit a small army of 8.000 men, many of who were mercenaries, landing in the Mindelo beach, close to Porto, were we endured a full year of siege by is brother forces.
He eventually prevailed, and died of tuberculosis, in Portugal, soon after the defeat of Miguel and his exile in Austria.
In the XX century, several intelectuals and politics, tried to convince Salazar to move the capital to Angola, more precisely to Nova Lisboa, now called Huambo, but just like José I refused to move the capital from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro after the earthquake of 1755 despite the opinion of his advisors, Salazar refused.

Last edited:
Pedro I/IV did declare the independence of Brazil and became its first Emperor, but he was not exiled, he abdicated in is five years old son
Ah I meant to say "he exiled himself" but yeah you're absolutely right
In the XX century, several intelectuals and politics, tried to convince Salazar to move the capital to Angola, more precisely to Nova Lisboa, now called Huambo, but just like José I refuse to move the capital from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro after the earthquake of 1755 despite the opinion of his advisors, Salazar refused.
What a shame, both would have been very interesting scenarios

I’m gonna define “pulling a Braganza” in the following way: a regime that, having its metropole occupied by a foreign power, chooses to relocate itself to one of its colonies, ruling the rump of its empire from the colonies while still claiming the now-occupied metropole.
“Pulling a Taiwan” is: a regime that, having been expelled by some sort of turmoil (revolution, civil war, foreign invasion…) from its main holdings, manages to relocate to some tiny overseas territory and still claims the mainland, but because because they’re now so tiny they no chance of ever pressing through their claim.
There are subtle differences between the two, but they’re basically similar concepts.

Having cleared that, here’s some ideas for countries that could have pulled a Braganza or a Taiwan:
-Spain during the Napoleonic wars. Just like the Portuguese court, Ferdinand could choose to flee Europe and relocate to his American colonies (ruling from Havana? Mexico City? Cartagena? Buenos Aires?), just like the Braganzas.
-France after the Battle of France. Had it chosen to fight on, it could found a government in exile in Algiers (probably), and attempt to fight from there.
-The British and French governments in the Kaiserreich TL.
-the White movement in Russia, in a TL where the Russians keep Alaska
-IOTL examples, but Sardinia and Sicily during the Napoleonic wars.
-the Danish monarchy in WW2 had it chosen to flee to Iceland instead of surrendering to the Germans.
-in ww2 the Free French attempted to take over St Pierre and Miquelon in order to set up a government on French territory that could oppose Vichy.

These are all just obvious examples. I’m sure there a lot more we can think of.
Napoleonic Wars-era Spain seems unlikely to me, especially with Ferdinand in charge. Spain-in-exile in the colonies is totally plausible—the hard part is maintaining control and convincing the colonials that they still need the (New) Spanish government around.