Could The Norman Conquest Be Undone?

1066. The french duke of Normandy has just become William the Conqueror and the kings of england would continue to be ethnically and culturally french till at least the 100 years war. But could a native anglo-saxon come to power after him? What would some impacts be of this brief invasion?

1066. The french duke of Normandy has just become William the Conqueror and the kings of england would continue to be ethnically and culturally french till at least the 100 years war. But could a native anglo-saxon come to power after him? What would some impacts be of this brief invasion?

The only way for William and Norman culture to be kicked out of England would be if Either Edwin or Morcar did an uprising.

There was a breif man named king last male heir of the house of Wessex, name was Edgar Aethling though in his late teens he was elected king after godwinsons death. If he or a champion of his cause can defeat William preferebly Edgar himself this would save england from the normans and the surviving Wessex dynasty would have great power for once again saving the kingdom.

William arrives before Tostig and Hardrada. Harold's fresh forces defeat William's. Whether Harold wins the following battle against his brother...

Not by themselves but better Scandinavian support for the Northern rebellions could eventually see William killed and most of his Norman aristocracy kicked out.
Impactwise you'd see stronger blood inheritance for the royal succession and more centralisation under the royal court - so not that different to OTL except in language.
Mercian would probably become the language of administration outside the clergy.
Links with the Scandinavian kingdoms would continue.

Not by themselves but better Scandinavian support for the Northern rebellions could eventually see William killed and most of his Norman aristocracy kicked out.
Impactwise you'd see stronger blood inheritance for the royal succession and more centralisation under the royal court - so not that different to OTL except in language.
Mercian would probably become the language of administration outside the clergy.
Links with the Scandinavian kingdoms would continue.
This is what I've always wondered. Why did the post-1066 Scandinavian invasions fail? I mean, my guess is that William built a powerful fleet to guard Britain from the Scandinavians, something the Anglo-Saxons failed even after Alfred the Great, but I'm not knowledgeable enough of British history to confirm if that's what happened.

Last edited:
This is what I've always wondered. Why did the post-1066 Scandinavian invasions fail? I mean, my guess is that William built a powerful fleet to guard Britain from the Scandinavians, something the Anglo-Saxons failed even after Alfred the Great, but I'm not knowledgeable enough of British history to confirm if that's what happened.
Essentially William had better organisation and was more ruthless.
OTL he managed to pay the Danes off then harried the North when they left.
It was less fleet protection than being able to meet and beat whatever army landed.