Could the HRE have absorbed Hungary and Poland?

On the issue of centralization and the HRE: Because a noncentralized HRE isn't going to be able to hold on to Poland or Hungary in any meaningful sense, that's why.

I don't want it to hold on to them, I just want it to vassalize them as it did Bohemia. The only reason it "held on" to Bohemia is because it became a Habsburg estate and they also held the imperial throne. Something like that could happen, but I really, really, really am not demanding it. If Poland and Hungary become local powers within a decentralized HRE as Brandenburg and Bavaria did in OTL it would suit me just fine.

Please stop making assumptions about what I have in mind. I know you've all been in a million discussions about centralization and decentralization in the HRE but this isn't what the OP was about. If the answer to the title question is yes, then we can have a discussion about what such an expansion would to to the Empire's cohesion.

Last edited:
Who gives the crown acknowledging the state as a kingdom isn't nearly as important as if the HRE can exercise any meaningful authority over the new kingdoms.

If the ability of the HRE to exercise any meaningful authority is crucial to be considered part of the HRE, then I guess the HRE was actually far smaller than most maps depict it...

I don't want it to hold on to them, I just want it to vassalize them as it did Bohemia. The only reason it "held on" to Bohemia is because it became a Habsburg estate and they also held the imperial throne. Something like that could happen, but I really, really, really am not demanding it. If Poland and Hungary become local powers within a decentralized HRE as Brandenburg and Bavaria did in OTL it would suit me just fine.

Easier said than done when the empire has enough on its plate as is.

Please stop making assumptions about what I have in mind. I know you've all been in a million discussions about centralization and decentralization in the HRE but this isn't what the OP was about. If the answer to the title question is yes, then we can have a discussion about what such an expansion would to to the Empire's cohesion.
The problem is, the HRE held on to Bohemia because Bohemia was legally incorporated within the Empire. If it was just like Hungary was OTL (which is to say, the emperor is also King), it would never be part of the HRE - although I presume that would be good enough for your scenario, it would be a different situation than legally incorporating them within the HRE as opposed to having them having their own laws, customs, and taxes - which is worth noting.

An Empire that is not centralized cannot impose control over these places if their rulers decide "You know, screw the empire.", so it won't be able to absorb them.

Monty Burns: The point is, as fully independent kingdoms unless they choose to offer allegiance (in which case, why?), there's not even the nominal obligation for them to pretend to be part of the HRE.

I just remembered something that might be of importance the position of Kingship to rulers of Bohemia and Poland was given by the HRE Emperor. So just as Bohemia ended as part of HRE Poland might also. On the other hand Hungary was given Kingship by the Pope. Change history so that it is also given by the HRE and that might happen.

In case of Poland royal title was given by the Pope not the emperor.

Easier said than done when the empire has enough on its plate as is.

Easy enough to do in that it is precisely what Brandenburg and Bavaria did. The contents of the Empire's plate have nothing to do with it because, for the 3rd time, I'm not asking for a centralized HRE.

The problem is, the HRE held on to Bohemia because Bohemia was legally incorporated within the Empire.

This is factually wrong.

If it was just like Hungary was OTL (which is to say, the emperor is also King), it would never be part of the HRE - although I presume that would be good enough for your scenario, it would be a different situation than legally incorporating them within the HRE as opposed to having them having their own laws, customs, and taxes - which is worth noting.

And this is simply bizarre.

An Empire that is not centralized cannot impose control over these places if their rulers decide "You know, screw the empire.", so it won't be able to absorb them.

I'll grant you that the thread title and OP were ambiguous on what I had in mind, but I've repeatedly clarified what I meant by absorption and you're repeatedly ignoring it.

Easy enough to do in that it is precisely what Brandenburg and Bavaria did. The contents of the Empire's plate have nothing to do with it because, for the 3rd time, I'm not asking for a centralized HRE.

And Brandenburg and Bavaria were part of the HRE. And I know you're not asking for one, I'm saying one is necessary for this to happen, or they won't remain vassals for long.

This is factually wrong.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/71528/Bohemia

"A kingdom within the Holy Roman Empire".

And throughout its history as kingdom not in personal union with the imperial house, we see the dukes and kings accepting that - yes, including Ottokar II, who was not rebelling against Imperial authority in the sense of the Emperor being his sovereign but just being a pretender to the throne, at most.

And this is simply bizarre.
What's bizarre about it?

I'll grant you that the thread title and OP were ambiguous on what I had in mind, but I've repeatedly clarified what I meant by absorption and you're repeatedly ignoring it.
No, I'm pointing out that the only way they become part of the HRE is either a) voluntary on their part (and why would they want to be part of the empire?) or b) the Empire being able to control the area, and when the Emperor can only barely influence things within its OTL borders, Poland and Hungary are too much.

Making them vassals of the Emperor like Bohemia means that they have to pledge allegiance and obedience to the Emperor - which requires either them feeling its to their advantage or the Emperor being able to impose his authority, same as any other way of incorporating them.

Last edited:

scholar

Banned
I'm thinking of something similar to what happened to Bohemia. Obviously it would be helped if Hungary and Poland were vassalized before they had a chance to expand their territory too much.
Yes, it is certainly possible given a few PODs, but Hungary and Poland were strong states very much free from HRE influence. It would take some doing.

And Brandenburg and Bavaria were part of the HRE.

Are you mocking me?

This is what I said: "If Poland and Hungary become local powers within a decentralized HRE as Brandenburg and Bavaria did in OTL it would suit me just fine."

Just what the hell are you trying to pull here?

And I know you're not asking for one, I'm saying one is necessary for this to happen.
And you're saying this based on...?

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/71528/Bohemia

"A kingdom within the Holy Roman Empire".

And throughout its history as kingdom not in personal union with the imperial house, we see the dukes and kings accepting that - yes, including Ottokar II, who was not rebelling against Imperial authority in the sense of the Emperor being his sovereign but just being a pretender to the throne, at most.
Please tell me this whole weirdness is not all about you wildly misinterpreting a line from Britannica. Bohemia was not "legally incorporated within the Empire," it was made a component of it just like all the others. Bohemia had the same relation to the HRE as did the other estates under immediate imperial authority (which is to say, vassals of the Emperor and not vassals of his vassals), minus the fact that some were electorates and others weren't. When Bohemia did finally lose independence, over 5 centuries after being vassalized, it had nothing to do with the Empire becoming more centralized - it obviously hadn't - and it did not lose its independence to the Empire to begin with, it lost it to the Habsburgs, who unlike the also foreign Luxembourgs were already so strong that they made Bohemia a province of their domain rather than its center (Rudolf II excepted).

What's bizarre about it?
I'm hesitating to criticize the error you appear to be making because it's inconsistent with the other error you're making.

No, I'm pointing out that the only way they become part of the HRE is either a) voluntary on their part (and why would they want to be part of the empire?)
No, the question is why they would accept becoming vassals of the Holy Roman Emperor. And the obvious answers are, because the Emperor is a threat (it would be centuries before decentralization had advanced past that point, just think Frederick Barbarossa), or because the Emperor offers defense against another threat.

or b) the Empire being able to control the area, and when the Emperor can only barely influence things within its OTL borders, Poland and Hungary are too much.
Obvious you'd be circling back to that again. No point in me even repeating that direct authority is not what I have in mind, who gives a shit what the person who started the thread thinks it's about?

You seem to be more intent on being rude than anything else here, which is not surprising, but which really isn't helping produce anything.
There once was a person on this forum, now banned, who I had a pretty good opinion of in spite of some deep disagreements between us and with whom I got along quite well. One day, this person thought it would be a splendid idea to use me as a punching bag in the sort of debate he'd had a million times before but which I was not interested in. And while he was at it, he figured he'd also lie to my face about what I was saying and insult me for not showing interest in his preferred topics. This person then instantly joined my ignore list.

That was someone I liked. You're someone I had a bad impression of even before this thread. Forget your crimes against intellectual rigor in our Cold War "debate," you all but called me a Confederate apologists because you didn't agree with me in an ACW thread.

You've no idea what it would be like if I intended to be rude.

Yes, it is certainly possible given a few PODs, but Hungary and Poland were strong states very much free from HRE influence. It would take some doing.

As I said in the OP, do it early on, before Hungary has expanded to the south and Poland to the north and east.

Are you mocking me?

This is what I said: "If Poland and Hungary become local powers within a decentralized HRE as Brandenburg and Bavaria did in OTL it would suit me just fine."

Just what the hell are you trying to pull here?

Except that they won't. They'll be independent powers not even paying lip service to the Emperor.

And I'm trying point out that the HRE expanding is not going to happen unless the HRE is stronger than OTL.

And you're saying this based on...?

The fact that a weak Emperor is in no position to either protect anyone, or overshadow anyone.

Please tell me this whole weirdness is not all about you wildly misinterpreting a line from Britannica. Bohemia was not "legally incorporated within the Empire," it was made a component of it just like all the others. Bohemia had the same relation to the HRE as did the other estates under immediate imperial authority (which is to say, vassals of the Emperor and not vassals of his vassals), minus the fact that some were electorates and others weren't. When Bohemia did finally lose independence, over 5 centuries after being vassalized, it had nothing to do with the Empire becoming more centralized - it obviously hadn't - and it did not lose its independence to the Empire to begin with, it lost it to the Habsburgs, who unlike the also foreign Luxembourgs were already so strong that they made Bohemia a province of their domain rather than its center (Rudolf II excepted).
Having the same relationship to the Empire as (for instance) Bavaria does mean that it is part of the Empire - a vassal of the Emperor, part of the area ruled over by the guy with the "Emperor" title.

Same as Burgundy was part of France well before Charles the Bold kicked the bucket.

I'm hesitating to criticize the error you appear to be making because it's inconsistent with the other error you're making.
[/quote

:confused:

No, the question is why they would accept becoming vassals of the Holy Roman Emperor. And the obvious answers are, because the Emperor is a threat (it would be centuries before decentralization had advanced past that point, just think Frederick Barbarossa), or because the Emperor offers defense against another threat.
1) Which only applies if the Emperor is stronger than OTL, because when the Emperor can't even ensure that his current territories are obedient (see Italy for Barbarossa), he's in no position to impose his rule on Poland or Hungary,

2) Which definitely requires a stronger Emperor and empire than it was after the Investiture controversy. Not impossible, but the reason centralization keeps getting brought up. A decentralized empire cannot offer much of a shield to these kingdoms.

Obvious you'd be circling back to that again. No point in me even repeating that direct authority is not what I have in mind, who gives a shit what the person who started the thread thinks it's about?
The problem is that being "like Bohemia" means that the kings pledge allegiance to the Emperor, as part of the Empire, not as independent states. So as long as the thread starter misrepresents Bohemia's status, "like Bohemia" is going to be treated like historical Bohemia - a component of the Empire - not EU III Bohemia.

You've no idea what it would be like if I intended to be rude.
If you want to go fishing, just ask a mod, don't go to the trouble of demonstrating that you're arrogant, thin skinned, and insulting and making others regard you as nothing more than a jerk (not even a well informed jerk, just a jerk).

Last edited:
IIRC, Bohemia was absorbed into the HRE after serving as a tennis ball in an extended match between Polish and German suzerainty. Conceivably you would have to have an even bigger rival to the east of Poland to have the same thing happen with Poland, which strikes me as hard given that the closest power - Kievan Rus - was politically fractured.
Hungary, I have no idea.

IIRC, Bohemia was absorbed into the HRE after serving as a tennis ball in an extended match between Polish and German suzerainty. Conceivably you would have to have an even bigger rival to the east of Poland to have the same thing happen with Poland, which strikes me as hard given that the closest power - Kievan Rus - was politically fractured.
Hungary, I have no idea.

Theoretically, the Byzantines, although why they're such a threat (given that they're not interested in taking Hungary and Hungary is not insubstantial on its own, so it doesn't need to beg the so-called Emperor for help to this extent even if the Emperor can deliver it) is a good question.

Theoretically, the Byzantines, although why they're such a threat (given that they're not interested in taking Hungary and Hungary is not insubstantial on its own, so it doesn't need to beg the so-called Emperor for help to this extent even if the Emperor can deliver it) is a good question.
Actually some sort of greater Serbia or Bulgaria would work (maybe a surviving Great Moravia*, but that would lead to massive butterflies from the Dark Ages on), seeing as the Byzantines had no shortage of trouble holding on to what they had OTL in the Balkans.
* - I'm working off of the "Great Old Moravia being based at the southern edge of the Hungarian Plain" theory here, not the traditional "Great Old Moravia being based in modern Moravia simply because they both have the same name" theory.

Actually some sort of greater Serbia or Bulgaria would work (maybe a surviving Great Moravia*, but that would lead to massive butterflies from the Dark Ages on), seeing as the Byzantines had no shortage of trouble holding on to what they had OTL in the Balkans.
* - I'm working off of the "Great Old Moravia being based at the southern edge of the Hungarian Plain" theory here, not the traditional "Great Old Moravia being based in modern Moravia simply because they both have the same name" theory.

It's possible, but it would have such significant butterflies I'd be hesitate to use it without studying the area more.

Either way, you need an Emperor strong enough to actually do some good here, which is what Hoodbhoy seems oblivious to - an Imperial vassal means an Imperial subject and an Emperor able to defend Hungary (or Poland) against another threat has to be strong enough to face that threat the resources available from his existing vassals.

Maximilian II came damned close to getting elected King of Poland in 1575, in fact, he was elected by the Sejm, but the nobles refused to go along, and as a result Ann Jagiellon was elected instead. If you have a more amenable Polish nobility, you could have the Hapsburgs taking over Polish monarchical elections the same way they did Bohemia.

Maximilian II came damned close to getting elected King of Poland in 1575, in fact, he was elected by the Sejm, but the nobles refused to go along, and as a result Ann Jagiellon was elected instead. If you have a more amenable Polish nobility, you could have the Hapsburgs taking over Polish monarchical elections the same way they did Bohemia.

But Bohemia wasn't an elective monarchy, was it?

Still, it might be a good start. Beats any other method I can think of, assuming the Habsburgs stay as Emperors.

If you want to go fishing, just ask a mod, don't go to the trouble of demonstrating that you're arrogant, thin skinned, and insulting and making others regard you as nothing more than a jerk (not even a well informed jerk, just a jerk).

I suppose I should be grateful for this, it liberates me from the need to once again correct you on what kind of relation Bohemia had with the HRE and clarify that I defined absorption to mean vassalage. Which would be a waste of time since I'm obviously not getting through to you, but a waste of time I'd usually find hard to resist. Your decision to jump straight to the insults liberates me to simply report you and add you to my ignore list. Which I will do upon posting this reply. Thanks.

Interesting, I did not know that.

And were it the only thing you didn't know.

Interesting, I did not know that.

Basically, it wasn't an official elective monarchy, but the cooperation of the nobles in the diet was necessary for accession. On multiple occasions, the diet threw out a king they didn't like and put in one they did. In fact, Ferdinand I was elected King of Bohemia after Louis the Jagiellon got himself killed at the Battle of Mohacs.

Basically, it wasn't an official elective monarchy, but the cooperation of the nobles in the diet was necessary for accession. On multiple occasions, the diet threw out a king they didn't like and put in one they did. In fact, Ferdinand I was elected King of Bohemia after Louis the Jagiellon got himself killed at the Battle of Mohacs.

Ahhh. This explains the situation of it looking hereditary, but with those two (any other?) examples.

Sort of a situation where the diet has to confirm the heir, but by default, that's rubber stamping?