Could Nicaragua (after the Filibuster) have Realistically been Annexed by the US?

Could William Walker's Filibuster have succeeded in its ultimate goal; annexation and eventual statehood? Northerners wouldn't want an additional slave states and there's also the issue that most Nicaraguans were Catholic and didn't speak English.

I doubt the United States would have annexed Nicaragua. If Walker could stay in power, the US might treat it something like a protectorate, but I doubt they would ever consider integrating it into the American political system.

Lusitania

Donor
We need to review the American attitudes towards Hispanic Americans at the time, in another thread we discussed the possibility of US annexing all Mexico during the Mexico -US War. In that discussion we discussed the attitudes based on American interaction with Puerto Rico and Cuba when they came under American administration. So based on those reactions and comments I find it hard that they would of annexed any Central American territory.

I doubt the United States would have annexed Nicaragua. If Walker could stay in power, the US might treat it something like a protectorate, but I doubt they would ever consider integrating it into the American political system.

I agree, but I wonder if the CSA would have taken a different view.

We need to review the American attitudes towards Hispanic Americans at the time, in another thread we discussed the possibility of US annexing all Mexico during the Mexico -US War. In that discussion we discussed the attitudes based on American interaction with Puerto Rico and Cuba when they came under American administration. So based on those reactions and comments I find it hard that they would of annexed any Central American territory.

Many in the United States were very interested in annexing Cuba during the 1850s and earlier, though, which is closer to this timeframe.

Lusitania

Donor
The interesting thing is that if the US did annex Mexico then it could set in motion greater Carribean and Central America intervention.

The interesting thing is that if the US did annex Mexico then it could set in motion greater Carribean and Central America intervention.
if Mexico was successful annexed I defiantly believe central America would be on the menu maybe even parts the Gran Colombia area.

Lusitania

Donor
if Mexico was successful annexed I defiantly believe central America would be on the menu maybe even parts the Gran Colombia area.
Successful annex is subjective. As other threads have indicated America had the military ability to defeat Mexico but annexing it would of required a much greater American Army plus there was no way to subjugate or assimilate the population and they stay catholic and Spanish speaking. So would a much more militant US then try to increase the number of Spanish speaking Catholics by invading Cuba and Nicaragua.

Successful annex is subjective. As other threads have indicated America had the military ability to defeat Mexico but annexing it would of required a much greater American Army plus there was no way to subjugate or assimilate the population and they stay catholic and Spanish speaking. So would a much more militant US then try to increase the number of Spanish speaking Catholics by invading Cuba and Nicaragua.
I could see that happening but a lot, things have to go right for it to happen.

Many in the United States were very interested in annexing Cuba during the 1850s and earlier, though, which is closer to this timeframe.

Cuba is a different barrel of beans,ethnically speaking. The Hispanic population there was far more Criollo (all or mostly European) than Mestizo (large Amerindian admxture) which made them both culturally and genetically (visably) more European than your average Mexican or Centeral American peon. This, alongside a more visably urbanized and plantation style culture vs. the village system more common throughout Continental Latin America would make the island a better fit than southern Mexico.

Of course, the question that needs to be asked about Niceragua is weather or not the region would be considered suitable for settlement. I'm leaning towards no, since the US would look at the example of British Honduras and the regional issues with subduing the local Amerindian population as well as the hostility of the surrounding states and decide the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. But, if Walker could pull a miracle and secure the region in such a way as to make the rest of Centeral America look ripe for the plucking by other Filibusters I could see the former USCA being swallowed up peice by peice by adventurers. It's really an all or nothing prospect in terms of long term viability