Martin Sheen's portrayal of Jed Bartlett on "The West Wing" is one of the most popular fictional Presidents of all time. But could a man like Jed Bartlett have been elected President in real life?

How do you mean that? He's too good? (Never watched the series.)

Bartlet is a charismatic former Governor of New Hampshire who is elected to two terms as a Democrat. He is an intellectual and a family man with strong liberal principles. Bartlet was written as a rebuke to weak Democrats like Dukakis or Gore, as well as conservative Republicans like George W. Bush. There are also parallels with Bill Clinton when Bartlet goes through a health scandal. But Bartlet is shown to handle the crisis with honesty, compared to Clinton's lack of integrity. Essentially, Bartlet represents what liberals like Aaron Sorkin wanted from a President but never got in real life.

Here's a sample of the show for those who haven't seen it. Bartlet debates his re-election opponent, Florida Governor Robert Ritchie:

As you can see, Bartlet is a proud but articulate liberal. Could a guy like that actually get elected in real life?

Depends on the era and his opponent. If 2004, he probably goes the same way as Kerry. If running in 2012 against Romney, it's more an even keel against him than with Obama. If 2016 against someone like Trump, he'd have gone the same way as Hillary. In the 2020 primary, he'd have a fighting chance (as he's v. similar to someone like Warren) but no guarantee he wins the nomination.

For 1992, 1996, 2000 and 2008, I could see Bartlet winning for various reasons specific to those times and the other candidates, it's just now as politics moves on Bartlet is becoming/has become something like a character of the past.

The major issues is his MS that probably would not be able to have been kept secret for long and would probably kept him from running.

Bartlett maybe, but his successor would almost certainly be a Republican in real life.
The West Wing came very close to doing this. At one point Senator Vinick was going to win instead of Santos. The Showrunners had trouble making their minds up as to which one to pick. After a lot of arguing they went for Santos.

I think a real Bartlet would be a one-termer due to the MS scandal. Also I think he’d be more controversial than depicted as he is too liberal to be seen as moderate but not progressive enough to be beloved by the base. So outside of the 1990’s and early 2000s he’d have trouble getting nominates

Probably not unless his running mate was a conservative Democrat (which of course happened in the show with Hoynes being the running mate). Bartlett is just too liberal, and honestly I don't see him making it passed the primaries.

Probably not unless his running mate was a conservative Democrat (which of course happened in the show with Hoynes being the running mate). Bartlett is just too liberal, and honestly I don't see him making it passed the primaries.

Thing is Bartlet is too liberal in some ways, but to staunch progressives he'd probably be too moderate. Think of the criticisms some folks further to the left have made towards Elizabeth Warren or Beto O'Rourke. This would put him in an awkward position where it'd be difficult to resonate with either progressives in the base or the more elite centrists in the primaries.

I think he could have been elected he seems like an algore type and if he swept every single state in the second and being the first demcrat in forever winning all the plain states etc

mspence

Banned
Definitely more of a 90s Presidential character. He was an idealized version of Bill Clinton & seemed out of place in the 2000s. The real question is would Santos have won? I don't think so, mainly because Congressmen just don't get to be President in real life. That job goes to Governors and Senators.

Definitely more of a 90s Presidential character. He was an idealized version of Bill Clinton & seemed out of place in the 2000s. The real question is would Santos have won? I don't think so, mainly because Congressmen just don't get to be President in real life. That job goes to Governors and Senators.
He was a combination of Clinton and Dukakis (although Bartlet was a great debater).
Santos was ahead of Obama and (based loosely on him) although Obama was in the Senate and not the House, also Obama was helped by the fact he was following a unpopular 2 term Republican President.