Could Eisenhower win as a Democrat in 1952?

President Eisenhower was pretty moderate, he kept the New Deal programs, plus high taxes, and was a pretty rabid anti-communist. Both Parties offered him to run 1948, but he turned them down, he eventually went to the Republicans because of a desire to break away from the more centralized power Democrats.

My question is, after 20 years of Democratic control of the White House, could Eisenhower, still as popular as ever, win the 1952 election?

Even though he was a Democrat in the worst possible year, he was still Ike. He wins, though probably with 300-something electoral votes instead of >400. If he can still be a two-termer, the GOP probably shrivels away and dies.

I'd say it's likely. Considering all the factors against them the Democrats didn't do that badly in 1952, in the popular vote at least, if you put Ike on the ticket they're going to be the favourites. Have the Republicans nominate Taft and it's probably even a comfortable victory.

President Eisenhower was pretty moderate, he kept the New Deal programs, plus high taxes, and was a pretty rabid anti-communist. Both Parties offered him to run 1948, but he turned them down, he eventually went to the Republicans because of a desire to break away from the more centralized power Democrats.

My question is, after 20 years of Democratic control of the White House, could Eisenhower, still as popular as ever, win the 1952 election?

Absolutely. The man is a popular war hero who is pretty much liked by members of both major parties and even if he decided to run for President as a Democrat, he would still win by a very comfortable margin against whoever the Republicans decided to nominate - my guess for whoever becomes the nominee ITTL would probably be either Robert Taft or Earl Warren.

Just wonder what would happen if Democrats nominated Eisenhower while the GOP nominated Douglas MacArthur:D

Just wonder what would happen if Democrats nominated Eisenhower while the GOP nominated Douglas MacArthur:D

That would be an interesting timeline. I'm trying to think of which other war heros could run at that time. Halsey? Nimitz?

Agreed. Eisenhower led the forces of democracy to victory in World War II. He could start his own party if he wanted to, and still win.

He's a walking gaffe machine.

Yeah. There are two problems with Patton. The first is that a Patton presidency would require the cramming of whole shoe stores into his mouth. The second is that the elapsed time between his swearing in and the outbreak of the world war with the Russians could probably be measured with an egg timer. :p

Yeah. There are two problems with Patton. The first is that a Patton presidency would require the cramming of whole shoe stores into his mouth. The second is that the elapsed time between his swearing in and the outbreak of the world war with the Russians could probably be measured with an egg timer. :p

I think a stopwatch might be more accurate :eek:

Eisenhower would definitely win as a Democrat, regardless of 20 years of Democratic control. Hell, I'd say Eisenhower would've had a decent shot of winning on a 3rd party or as an independent.