Could anyone make a new flag for Michigan?

I really like this one from the vexillology wiki.

MI_Flag_Proposal_Unkown.gif

I was thinking of how I'd make the flag and came across that page and was like "well, right there is how I'd do it!". Before I saw that I even debated between 4 or 5 stars, since one of the lakes doesn't actually border the state, and this guy must have thought the same thing. Screw you Lake Ontario! lol

I mentioned in another thread, but it looks like there is some actual serious consideration by the state government to change the flag, possibly as soon as 2018. I'd like to see either this one or the Zervig one be adopted. I'd prefer this one, because more green is better! ;)

I changed my mind. I do like that one, but I think this would be (slightly) better - it uses triangles to represent the peninsulas, which I think is a better representation than rectangles:

latest

And here is that same idea, except adding a 5th star for all five Great Lakes and using a 6-point star as the 5th star so that the total equals 26 (4 5-point stars + 1 6-point star); Michigan was the 26th state to join the union.

latest

I'm sure there is some decent symbolism that could be made up for what the 6-point star stands for too.

here is a new michigan flag i wiped up:
upload_2016-12-22_7-55-50.png

the ratio is 2:3 (600x400 pixels)
the designed is inspired by the Hawaiian flag which in turn is inspired by the US flag
the green represents the forests and wild life of the state
the white represents the snowy winters
the blue represents the natural fresh(ish) water of the state
the 2 stars represent the 2 peninsilas (the smaller being the upper)
the 5 points on the stars represent the 5 Great lakes
the 2 stars and the 6 stripes represent it being the 26th state

i think it looks good but what are your thoughts?

Last edited: