Could anyone make a new flag for Michigan?

Here ya go:
Michigan.png

The blue field represents the waters surrounding the state, The tricoloured saltire represents the german(black), french(white), and english(red) herritage. The white-gold star represents the sun but also wealth and prosperity. The wolverine is the animal of the state, so it is featured on the flag too.

I don't like the current flag of Michigan at all. Does anyone have a proposal for a new one?

Is this a flag for Michigan as a US state, or a flag for your Michigan Empire wank? I'm just asking so I can see what direction you wanted to go.

Edit: Screw it, this idea popped in my head and I really like it. It's obviously based on the current flag of South Africa. I like it because it vaguely represents the two peninsulas of Michigan without the faux-pas of putting an actual map on the flag. The blue represents the lakes surrounding the land, the green is the natural beauty of the region. White is for purity, innocence, awesomeness, etc.

michigan flag.png

Last edited:
A few designs I have liked from the Alternate Flags for US States thread (not mine, obviously):

latest
image-png.279332

EDIT: Wrong author and wrong flag, see below. Apologies!
ah-flag-michigan-1-png.100398

Last edited:
Whoops. Sorry about that, I was going by the user who crossposted the flags to the other thread. Also, they weren't labeled, so I just counted and took a guess. In hindsight it should also have been obvious that it was not Michigan. Edited the original post.

Whoops. Sorry about that, I was going by the user who crossposted the flags to the other thread. Also, they weren't labeled, so I just counted and took a guess. In hindsight it should also have been obvious that it was not Michigan. Edited the original post.
That's OK, thanks for editing it. I'm happy you picked as one you liked, even if it's not for Michigan!

ok as you can see from my location you can tell i am a proud Michigander, but i (and many others) say the flag is terrible so i created a Nordic based flag and to me it looks pretty good:
upload_2016-11-12_9-45-13.png

this takes alot of key designs from Sweden but not enough to be confused, the colors just yell Michigan at me and i am proud of said flag, but let me hear your thoughts.

ok as you can see from my location you can tell i am a proud Michigander, but i (and many others) say the flag is terrible so i created a Nordic based flag and to me it looks pretty good:

this takes alot of key designs from Sweden but not enough to be confused, the colors just yell Michigan at me and i am proud of said flag, but let me hear your thoughts.

It's fine from a design point of view, but using a Nordic design doesn't represent the contributions and presence of African-American, Native-American and Middle Eastern populations in that state.

It's fine from a design point of view, but using a Nordic design doesn't represent the contributions and presence of African-American, Native-American and Middle Eastern populations in that state.
yea i can see that now, maybe i will mess around with it and hopefully i can make it better, ok?

inspired by a reddit post (which seems to be missing/deleted?) and they posted it at the flag of Superior (a state proposed but denied and it consisted of the upper peninsula or U P for short) and the major difference was it had 3 stripes insted of 5:
upload_2016-11-13_10-40-48.png

the 5 stripes represent the 5 great lakes
the white represents the shore, snow and the peaceful (ish) nature of the state
and the green represents the Peninsulas and the natural beauty of the state.
thoughts?

I really like this one from the vexillology wiki.

MI_Flag_Proposal_Unkown.gif

I was thinking of how I'd make the flag and came across that page and was like "well, right there is how I'd do it!". Before I saw that I even debated between 4 or 5 stars, since one of the lakes doesn't actually border the state, and this guy must have thought the same thing. Screw you Lake Ontario! lol

I mentioned in another thread, but it looks like there is some actual serious consideration by the state government to change the flag, possibly as soon as 2018. I'd like to see either this one or the Zervig one be adopted. I'd prefer this one, because more green is better! ;)

I really like this one from the vexillology wiki.

I was thinking of how I'd make the flag and came across that page and was like "well, right there is how I'd do it!". Before I saw that I even debated between 4 or 5 stars, since one of the lakes doesn't actually border the state, and this guy must have thought the same thing. Screw you Lake Ontario! lol

I mentioned in another thread, but it looks like there is some actual serious consideration by the state government to change the flag, possibly as soon as 2018. I'd like to see either this one or the Zervig one be adopted. I'd prefer this one, because more green is better! ;)

Number five can be Lake St. Clair. :rolleyes:

This one's my favourite in this thread, though it reminds me of John Deere.
I had made a proposal in 2009 but upon review, it was really quite shit, so I don't think I'll share it here.
Thank you! The antlers are meant to recall the state seal, along with the usual Great Lakes and peninsulas symbolism.

Thank you! The antlers are meant to recall the state seal, along with the usual Great Lakes and peninsulas symbolism.

Looking at the seal again, I can definitely see the influence with the shield as well?
If the recent developments go through, you should definitely submit that!

Here are some ideas I came up with now, based on common elements in these proposals. The symbolism should be fairly self-explanatory. The stars are in this united arrangement to reflect "e pluribus unum"/"out of many, one" which is on the state seal.
The last one has the advantage of resembling a shield when it is hung vertically, referencing one of the state mottos "Tuebor", Latin for "I defend".

Flags%20of%20Michigan.png

Last edited: