Cool Brees and Chill: A Miami Dolphins TL

This is a timeline about the NFL and it follows the Miami Dolphins from the POD in 2003 (Ricky Williams' third positive drug test is averted) through about a decade of ripples. Not sure if I plan to take this all the way to present day, but at least through the 2012 season. (If you're a Saints fan, I will be throwing you a bone even with no Brees.) Enjoy.

INTRODUCTION

(ESPN broadcast)

"Yeah, we were winning that year, but I just...I couldn't take it anymore. That was really what the two positive tests were about. I felt like weed was the only thing that kept me sane until the team hired a psychiatrist. And this was the first guy who really put a finger on it.

"It all started in New Orleans with that stupid-ass picture of me in a wedding dress with Ditka. Everyone had all these expectations, like I was the damn Messiah for a football team. And no one there could figure it out. No one in Miami could figure it out. I even told the man, 'I just don't think I want to do this anymore, Doc.' He didn't say anything.

He listened. He just sat there and listened. He was the first person who did that. And yeah, I know looking back that the Dolphins did it so they didn't have to worry about losing their star running back. But I didn't care. I got better. I learned how to live in this world. And I'm grateful for that opportunity. Now I can still be around the game, and I love that. I can do what I want and still be a football guy. It changed my life. I'm happy.

And of course I probably wouldn't have kept playing if I hadn't started soing mindfulness therapy and yoga. And we never would have had a run like we did."

Ricky Williams, ESPN 30 for 30 documentary "Miami Ice," aired August 1, 2016

(Dolphin Stadium, press conference, November 21, 2005)

Miami Dolphins head coach Dave Wannstedt approaches the microphone, appearing upset.

Wannstedt: I'll make this quick. I've talked this over with our general manager, Rick Spielman, and our owner, Mr. Huizenga. Effective immediately, I am resigning as the head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

Several voices in the background call out for Wannstedt to answer questions, but he simply walks off the stage and general manager Rick Spielman takes his place.

Spielman: Coach Wannstedt has made his decision clear. We will move forward as a football team, and we will rally around our interim head coach, Marc Trestman. We are better than our record at this point, and we will move forward with Coach Trestman.

(CBS broadcast, Gillette Stadium, January 1, 2006)

Steve Beuerlein: And with that, we're right up against the two-minute warning as the Dolphins lead the Patriots 25-20. Olindo Mare will attempt a 41-yard field goal to put Miami up by eight. The kick is set to go...the snap is away, Mare boots it...splits the uprights and...wait, the officials are blowing it dead. What's going on here?

Dan Marino: Looks like Trestman didn't like what he saw, and he called a timeout before the play was snapped. That just doesn't make any sense to me, icing your own kicker before he has the chance to put this game in a very tight spot for New England. I mean, this is a lost season for Miami, sure, but there's no reason the Dolphins can't end it on a high note with a well-done win here. What is Trestman doing?

Ahead to after the commercial.

Beuerlein: Mare will try again from 41. There's the snap, the hold is good...and Mare shanks it wide left. The Patriots will get the ball on their own 31 with a chance to win the game.

Marino: Another blown call for Trestman. I tell you, it looked like he had it together after the win in Oakland, but that disastrous play call against Buffalo four weeks ago just showed that things haven't changed much in Miami from a coaching standpoint. This team made that terrible call against Baltimore last year that cost the Dolphins the playoffs, and now with nothing more than pride on the line, Trestman makes one of the most difficult calls to understand I've seen in a long time with that timeout.

Beuerlein: It's Patriot ball now, first and ten, and Brady has the ball, and the handoff is to Pass for maybe a yard.

Cut to the end of the game.

Beuerlein: Nine seconds left, first and goal on the Miami 16, Brady back to pass, he fires...incomplete, and now the Patriots have one last chance to win. Four seconds remaining. Brady with the snap, Deion Branch is open in the end zone, Brady fires...CAUGHT! Touchdown Patriots, and as time expires, the New England Patriots win their season finale as the Dolphins slide to 5-11.

(CBS broadcast, Paul Brown Stadium, January 8, 2006)

Jim Nantz: The Chargers have the ball at the Bengals' 44, first and ten with the game on the line. San Diego needs a touchdown to tie. Brees takes the snap and hands off to Sproles, and he's got a hole and a gain of about seven. He's finally brought down by Odell Thurman in Bengal territory.

Ian Eagle: This is exactly what the Chargers need to do. Under five minutes left in the game, and they're using their best chance to make up ground. This should be an easy first down here, but let's see if it turns into a shot at a tie game.

Nantz: Second and three, Brees is back to pass, over the middle to McCardell...he has it at the 40 for a big gain and he's down at the 32 of Cincinnati. The Chargers are really making big gains here.

Eagle: Uh-oh, it looks like Brees got roughed up on that play. You see the replay, and Justin Smith was way too late to Brees, and now the quarterback is a little slow to get up. He landed on his wrist, and now Marty Schottenheimer has a big decision to make here. Will we see Philip Rivers here in crunch time? That's an awfully big stage for a young quarterback.

Nantz: Nope, Brees is back under center as the Chargers pick up at the Cincinnati 17 after that late hit on Smith. Brees back to throw, O'Neal uncovered has a clean shot at Brees...he goes down hard and it's a fumble! Picked up by Keiwan Ratliff and he's off to the races! He's at the 30, the 35, no one within striking distance of Ratliff and no flags on the play! He's got the distance! Touchdown Bengals and they're on top 30-17 here in Cincinnati!

Eagle: Looks like Brees still isn't getting up. The medical team is on the field attending to him, and he's not moving. That was a brutal hit by Deltha O'Neal, and it couldn't have come at a worse time for the San Diego Chargers.

Nantz: The crowd applauds as Brees is carried off on the cart and he's on his way to the locker room. Clearly he's done for today, and given the score, you have to wonder if he's played his last down in a Charger uniform.

(Dolphin Stadium, president's office, February 20, 2006)

COO Bryan Wiedmeyer meets with general manager Randy Mueller.

Wiedmeier: Damn it, this is a bad situation, Randy. We need a coach. And I don't mean some stopgap wash-up.

Mueller: What about Kubiak?

Wiedmeier: Houston beat us to him. Even Herman Edwards is taken. We need a plan.

Mueller: What about a college coach?

Wiedmeier: This better be good.

Mueller: I called Nick Saban at LSU.

Wiedmeier: He's a no-go. He's interested but his wife said no.

Mueller: Figures. If only there were a guy who was on his way out and would be interested.

Wiedmeier: Yeah, but I don't want an experiment. I want someone we know can do the job.

Mueller: Someone who wins at both levels.

Wiedmeier: Preferably someone with a chip on his shoulder against some of the teams that have been kicking our asses year in and year out.

Mueller: Well, there is one name, but...no. He'd never bite. Too entrenched in college, but there has to be some way to pry him away.

Wiedmeier: Tressel?

Mueller: Wasn't thinking of him, but it's worth a shot. If he's good enough for Ohio State, well...

Wiedmeier: Doesn't know shit about quarterbacks. Try again.

Both pause for a moment.

Mueller: Pete Carroll.

Both men laugh.

(ESPN broadcast)

"And so in 2006, I was still coming down off the Texas loss. And I couldn't shake this feeling like something bad was around the corner at USC. I mean, yes, in retrospect, it looked like I was running away from the scandal, but really it was this idea that this was as good as it was ever going to get at USC. I reached the top and there was no getting back there.

"And Randy calls out of the blue. I didn't know the man from Adam and his voice sounded an awful lot like Lane Kiffin's. So Randy said he wanted to interview me for the Dolphins' head coaching position.

"I laughed. I actually said to him, 'Shut the hell up, Lane. You want to pull this shit, at least say you're with the Seahawks or something.' I hung up the phone.

"Then Bryan Wiedmeier got on the phone and I figured out they weren't joking. We still have a laugh about it to this day."

Pete Carroll, Dolphins head coach, 30 for 30 documentary "Miami Ice," aired August 1, 2016

(SportsCenter, March 13, 2006)

Rece Davis: We have some breaking NFL news. Drew Brees has a new lease on life after that devastating hot in the wild card game in Cincinnati, and according to an NFL doctor, he's passed his physical. And now he has a new home. The Miami Dolphins have signed Brees to a six-year deal worth $68 million. According to sources, Brees has been promised the starting job with the Dolphins, making it likely that Gus Frerotte will be traded.

(Radio City Music Hall, NFL Draft, April 29, 2006)

Paul Tagliabue: With the fourth pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select A.J. Hawk, linebacker, Ohio State University.

(Full draft list, Miami Dolphins, 2006)

4. A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State
37. Jimmy F. Williams, CB, Virginia Tech
41 (from AZ): Roman Harper, S, Alabama
68. Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State (traded to DEN)
101. Cory Rodgers, WR, TCU
126 (from DEN): Elvis Dumervil, DE, Louisville
212. Cortland Finnegan, CB, Samford

Also acquired: Brandon Marshall, WR, Central Florida from DEN
Also traded: 2007 5th-round pick to DEN

(NFL Live, September 7, 2006)

Chris Berman: One team we're paying close attention to is the new-look Miami Dolphins. Head coach Pete Carroll went defense-heavy with the draft, but the most talked-about acquisition of the offseason is quarterback Drew Brees. After a rough season last year, Miami opens this season, the Dolphins get a break right out of the gate as they open against another new-look team, the Tennessee Titans. With that in mind, let's see what's in store this week.

Transition to the "Swami Sez" segment.

Berman: I have Pittsburgh covering against the Buffalo Bills. The Bengals should have no trouble in Kansas City. McNabb and Company should fly out of Houston victorious. The defending champion Colts escape the Manning Bowl with a win, but Eli keeps it close and the Colts don't cover. And finally, the Dolphins come away with an easy win over Tennessee.

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Currently this covers the time from the POD until the opening of the 2006 season. Next up will be the 2006 season. I hope to deliver at least one major update a week.

Last edited:
Anything that keeps Brady from the Super Bowl is fine by me. With Brees not on the Saints, We likely get a get a Colts vs Vikings Super Bowl - Manning versus Farve. My money is on Manning.

That said, here's hoping Denver still does well.

With the loss of Brees in this ATL, The Who Dat Nation better be getting a big bone here, haha. Maybe my dream of Peyton coming home to wear the black and gold comes true, but so long as we still get that ring (before Atlanta!) I can live with it.

I've always wondered how Drew would have done in South Florida, particularly as I recall him personally preferring Miami to New Orleans at the time. Interesting concept and should set up some interesting ripples across the league.

With the loss of Brees in this ATL, The Who Dat Nation better be getting a big bone here, haha. Maybe my dream of Peyton coming home to wear the black and gold comes true, but so long as we still get that ring (before Atlanta!) I can live with it.

I've always wondered how Drew would have done in South Florida, particularly as I recall him personally preferring Miami to New Orleans at the time. Interesting concept and should set up some interesting ripples across the league.

Keep in mind Sean Payton is still coach and a good number of players will still end up there. Just, say, a different QB doing it.

2006 SEASON

(ESPN broadcast)

"My first three games in Miami were a blur. All I did was throw touchdown passes and all we did was dominate. I think we kind of pissed off the Patriots with that game in week 2."

Drew Brees, Miami Dolphins starting quarterback

"The Dolphins opened the season 3-0, including a 52-17 demolition of the Patriots in a game where Tom Bradu threw three interceptions and rookie A.J. Hawk returned one for a touchdown. The following week, the New York Jets were no match for the high-flying Dolphins, as Brees threw four touchdown passes and Chris Chambers caught three of them for a 37-21 win."

Voice-over

"We thought we were ready for the big time. We weren't ready for the Colts, though. I've never been in a game that was more of a track meet than that game against the Colts."

Brees

"On paper, the Dolphins dominated that game on October 1, winning the time of possession battle by more than a 2-1 ratio and going 6 for 8 on third down. But the young defense couldn't slow Peyton Manning down, and he burned the Miami D for six touchdown passes, and the Colts won a shootout, 45-38."

30 for 30 documentary "Miami Ice," aired August 1, 2016

(Press conference, ALLTEL Stadium, October 8, 2006)

Reporter: Ricky, there's a rumor that you asked to be taken out of the game. Is that true?

Ricky Williams: No.

Reporter: Ricky, did the refs make a bad call on that touchdown run that got called back for holding?

Williams: How the hell should I know? I was busy running the damn ball!

Reporter: Ricky, what happened that caused the shouting match between you and Drew Brees?

Williams: We are two grown-ass men talking it out! Back the hell off!

Reporter: Ricky, what needs to change next week against the Bills?

Williams: Back the hell off!

Reporter: Ricky, why are you so upset?

Williams: I said back the hell off! If you just got your ass kicked, you'd be upset too! We can't score a damn point all day and you can't figure out why I'm mad? Back the hell off!

Williams slams his hand on the table and leaves the press conference.

(Psychiatrist's office, October 9, 2016)

Doctor: Was it really about the loss?

Williams: I can handle the loss, Doc. I've lost before. Shit, we were 5-11 last year and I could have kicked Trestman's ass over that timeout in New England, but at least I didn't have a bunch of slick reporters trying to piss me off after that.

Doctor: You understand these guys just have a job to do.

Williams: And so do I, and I didn't do it. We put up 52 points on the Patriots and play like we did against the damn champs, and the we play the Jaguars - the fucking Jaguars, who are they? - and we lose 41-0 and we only get past midfield once. I'm already trying not to blame myself and then I get these slick armchair quarterbacks acting like they know more about my team than I do.

Doctor: I have to ask, is everything OK with you and Drew?

Williams (after a sigh): Yes.

Doctor: Ricky, this is important. People see a fight between the two biggest names on the team and they run with it. You don't like all the pressure the media puts on you. This only makes it worse.

Williams is silent and appears introspective.

Doctor: How is the yoga going?

Williams: Not bad. I've been slacking a bit but--

Doctor: I don't care how tough practice is or how stressed you get. You need to stick with it. And this has nothing to do with football. You're eating better, you're a lot happier, you do better socially--

Williams: You think I snapped at Drew because I've missed yoga?

Doctor: I don't know why you snapped at Drew. But I know you can give yourself a better chance of it not happening again if you stick with it. That's a big part of mindfulness, Ricky. Thinking through your actions before you undertake them, especially if something is a trigger.

(CBS broadcast, Dolphin Stadium, October 15, 2006)

Jim Nantz: Drew Brees takes the field hoping to put the Dolphins on the board early. The Dolphins will have it first and 10 at their own 33 after that Buffalo punt. Brees gets the snap, the give is to Williams, he runs right into coverage, he's headed down--NO, he breaks one tackle, and he's through the Bills line, he's got a first down and more. And Ricky Williams is not going down! He's past midfield and he hurdles two defender! Williams has daylight! No one can catch him now! He's past the 20, the 15, the 10...and Ricky Williams leaps into the end zone for a touchdown on the Dolphins' first play from scrimmage!

Dan Marino: This right here is Ricky Williams blowing off two weeks of frustration. He didn't score a touchdown against the Colts and he couldn't do anything against Jacksonville, and he's making the Bills pay for it.

Cut to later in the game.

Nantz: Buffalo has it on their own 44 and J.P. Losman is going to try to rally the troops here. It looks pretty daunting, with the Bills having less than a quarter to overcome a 17-point deficit, but things can happen. The snap is off and Losman hands it off to McGahee, but he goes nowhere, and it looks like it will be second and 10.

Marino: Zach Thomas is doing a much better job leading the defense and getting them to listen. There's really no other explanation for how these young guys have come together here against the Bills.

Nantz: Losman drops back to pass, he throws, incomplete. Peerless Price the intended receiver. This brings up third down and ten. Losman going no-huddle and a quick pass...INTERCEPTED by Jimmy Williams! That's the second interception of the year for the rookie out of Virginia Tech!

Marino: These guys may be young but wait for them to jell and this is a scary group. It's like a group of sharks circling their prey in the ocean, and that's pretty fitting for a team that plays here near the ocean.

Nantz: Sharks on land. That would be something.

Marino: Land sharks, if you will.

Nantz: I think you're on to something, Dan. And the Dolphins offense may be on to something here at midfield. Brees is out of the shotgun, he's under the rush, he fires...complete to Brandon Marshall for what looks like a gain of 12. No one anywhere near Marshall on that one.

Marino: It looks like Brees and Marshall read that blitz perfectly and connected on a quick pass. The Bills defense didn't have a chance.

Nantz: First and ten, Miami. Brees with the snap, this time to Marshall again, and down goes Marshall on an ugly hit from Donte Whitner. There's a flag near the hit, and it looks like they're going to get Whitner for pass interference, as they should.

Referee: Pass interference, number 20, defense. The ball will be placed at the spot of the foul. Number 20 on the defense is ejected.

Marino: I didn't see the ejection coming, but with a blatant blow to the head with his helmet, he's lucky Marshall got up after that. Looks like Marshall is being examined on the sideline.

Nantz: The Dolphins will continue the drive without him. First and 10 at the Buffalo 15, and the give is to Williams...and it's a reverse to Chris Chambers...and back to Brees! It's a double reverse, and Brees throws over the middle to Wes Welker...TOUCHDOWN Miami Dolphins and it's 37-14 for the home team!

Marino: You rarely see a true double reverse in football, and you would never expect it to go back to the quarterback, but Drew Brees was on-point and he completely fooled the Bills' defense.

Nantz: This is strange. Miami's up by 23 late in the game but they've decided to go for two. I don't understand this at all, but here we go. Brees gives it to Williams, and he hurdles the Buffalo defense...and he's in for the conversion! The Dolphins lead 39-14 here in the fourth quarter!

Cut to the final two minutes.

Nantz: The Bills will try to salvage a few points here from the Dolphins' 37, trailing 46-14 with just over a minute to go. Losman is back to pass, looking for a man...and down he goes! Roman Harper with the sack! No one picked him up, and the Bills lose eight on the play.

Marino: I'm not sure if it was Whitner's hit on Marshall that triggered this, but the Dolphins are just not letting up on the Bills even in the final minutes.

Nantz: Second and ten, and Losman opts to kneel the ball...and there's a timeout on the field. The Dolphins have inexplicably called a timeout with 57 seconds left in the game.

Marino: I'd love to hear what Pete Carroll says about this after the game. This isn't just a big win; this looks like the start of a blood feud. When I played, we had a rivalry with Buffalo but it never came to this. I think the Dolphins are sending the Bills, and the rest of the NFL, a message - mess with us and we will make your lives miserable.

Nantz: Losman hands the ball off this time, and Anthony Thomas gains two on the play, setting up 4th and 17, and the Bills will actually have to punt it away. The punt team takes the field, trying to bleed the clock down. There's the snap...it's a fake! Moorman has it fifteen yards deep and the Dolphins are scrambling! Moorman fires...he's got Lee Evans at the three! And Evans is in for a touchdown!

Marino: Ultimately this score won't mean anything more than the Dolphins' two-pointer earlier in the quarter but if Pete Carroll was sending the Bills a message, Dick Jauron just sent one right back.

Nantz: That message was clearly received, and it looks like there's more to it. The Bills are going for two as well. Losman takes the snap, and he has McGahee in the end zone...got it! The deficit may be 24, but the Bills are priming for the rematch on Christmas Day!

Marino: And if today's any indication, the only gifts under the tree for these teams will be a healthy dose of pain and punishment. These Bills will be out for revenge in a frigid game in Buffalo. I can't wait for the rematch.

(Press conference, Dolphin Stadium, October 15, 2006)

Reporter: Coach, did Whitner's hit on Marshall influence your play calling at the end of the game?

Pete Carroll: I was sending the Bills a message. If they want to play dirty, we will embarrass them.

Reporter: Pete, what is your reaction to the fake punt at the end?

Carroll: Game on, Buffalo. We'll see you on Christmas. And you're all on the naughty list.

Reporter: Coach, was it your call to go for two?

Carroll: Well, I wanted to go for three, but the rule book doesn't allow that yet, so I did what I could.

Reporter: We're you trying to run up the score?

Carroll: I wasn't trying to run up the score, but if that's how it worked out, well, I won't be losing any sleep over it.

Reporter: Coach, what is the status of Brandon Marshall?

Carroll: Barring an unforeseen circumstance, he will be in uniform against the Lions.

(Dolphins locker room, post game, October 15, 2016)

Pete Carroll: Game ball goes to...Ricky Williams. I know you've been our workhorse all season, and you deserve this.

Carroll hands the ball to an exuberant Williams, who takes it and does a juke move to much cheering.

Carroll: I wish I had two game balls, but the other group I want to recognize will have to settle for a consolation prize. One of the interns heard the CBS broadcast, and it looks like our defense is making a lot of waves. So with that in mind, I had him pick up something for you.

Carroll opens up a foam crate, and inside is a cooler full of bottled beer. He takes one out. It has the Land Shark logo on it.

Carroll: To the Landsharks!

Entire defense: Landsharks! Landsharks!

(ESPN broadcast)

"Before the Buffalo game, we had an identity on offense as a high-flying team that could beat you with Brees' arm or Williams' legs. But the defense was a bunch of guys who just got drafted. The offense was winning games, and the defense was losing them.

Really, the Landsharks thing was Pete's idea. He sent some intern to the store right in the middle of a game to buy a bunch of beer, and it's not the most insane thing we did all year."

Dom Capers, Dolphins defensive coordinator, 2006-2011, 30 for 30 documentary, "Miami Ice," aired August 1, 2016

(CBS broadcast, Gillette Stadium, November 12, 2006)

Steve Bueurlein: The Dolphins take over at their own 38 with a minute-fifteen to go in the game. It looks like they need about 40 yards to get into Mare's range and break the tie. Brees has it and he runs left and out of bounds with a gain of six.

Ian Eagle: No one saw that coming, even if it's just six yards. These Dolphins do everything possible to keep teams guessing.

Beuerlein: Second and four, and the handoff is to Williams, and it's another run up the left side...Williams throws it long to Chris Chambers, and it's complete for a huge gain! Oh my, the Dolphins are at it again!

Eagle: It looks like the gain on the play is 26 yards, but look at how this is drawn up. The offense has the Patriots thinking run and leaving Chambers completely uncovered. I have to wonder if this is the kind of play Pete Carroll worked on in practice with his guys.

Beuerlein: The Dolphins are watching the clock closely here with no timeouts, and Brees spikes it to bring up second and 10 at the 40.

Eagle: I tell you, just 33 seconds left, so if the Dolphins can get into field goal range, another spike and this is a win for the red-hot Dolphins.

Beuerlein: Brees back to throw, looking for a receiver...and it's Rodney Harrison on the sack! It's a loss of six and a big setback for the Dolphins!

Eagle: You see here on the replay, no one picked up Harrison, and Brees didn't even see him coming. That's a total failure on part of the offensive line.

Beuerlein: Brees will have to spike it here and take his chances on fourth down; the play clock is below 10 seconds...he calls for the spike...NO! Another trick play, and Brees finds Brandon Marshall wide open with the Patriots completely unprepared! Marshall has an open lane along the sideline, and he will score! Touchdown Dolphins on the fake spike as time expires, and the surprising Dolphins surge into first place in the division at 6-2!

(NFL Countdown, November 19, 2006)

Ron Jaworski: There's not one key difference between this year's Dolphins and the team that struggled last year. Everything is different. Pete Carroll has every defense in the league on watch for a trick play. Ricky Williams is at full strength, and teams dear him because they know Drew Brees can just as easily beat them with his arm. And I love the defense. Dan Marino invented the name Landsharks, and the Landsharks are an improving group that's done enough to hold it down for the offense to win games. If I were Pete Carroll, my only other concern would be if other teams catch onto the trickery. The Dolphins have won some close games lately, especially against a good team like the Patriots. I see big problems for them if other teams stop the trick plays, because this defense is still lacking in a few areas and won't win games on their own.

(CBS broadcast, Ralph Wilson Stadium, December 25, 2006)

Greg Gumbel: It says a lot about how competitive the AFC East is by the fact that the Dolphins are 10-4 and still haven't clinched a playoff spot. They sit now tied with New England, but thanks to those two wins over the Patriots, Miami owns the tiebreak. Of course, all it will take is for the Dolphins to win one game, either here in Buffalo or next week against the Oakland Raiders, and the Dolphins are in the playoffs for the first time in four years.

Charley Casserly: Most people say this looks pretty good for the Dolphins. The weather is nice here in Buffalo, and the Dolphins are an eight-point favorite. And other than that loss in Jacksonville, they haven't suffered a really bad loss, though they won't soon forget the heartbreaker against the Texans.

Greg Gumbel: Olindo Mare set to kick it off, Roscoe Partish deep for the Bills. And we're underway here in Buffalo as Partish fields the return, and it looks like he's out to the 20...wait, he's still going as he breaks one tackle and then another! Parrish has one man to beat and it's the kicker! Mare dives but comes up empty and Parrish is home free! He's at the 30, now to the 20, and he's in to score! Touchdown Bills on the opening drive of the game!

Casserly: In the last game between these two teams, the Bills used special teams to send the Dolphins a message at the end, and here they're using their kick return team to make an early statement.

Gumbel: And Lindell adds the PAT to give the Bills a lead right out of the gate.

Gumbel: Brees takes over at the 20, trying to find anything to get his offense going. Bills lead 10-0 here in the second quarter, seven and a half minutes left. Brees takes the snap, looks like he has an open receiver...it's tipped by Nate Clements and intercepted! Clements has it and it looks like he will score! Touchdown Bills!

Casserly: Brees is tryin to force things at this point. He doesn't look confident at all, and he's making all kinds of mistakes.

Gumbel: The Bills look to extend their drive here at the start of the fourth quarter, seeing if they can add to this lead. Losman back to throw, has Price over the middle...caught for a big gain! This puts the Bills well within field goal range, but there's no way the Bills are thinking field goal.

Casserly: After the game in October, the Bills don't just want to win; they're here to bury the Dolphins. Even from last place, they're playing spoiler and they're doing it well. They're telling the Dolphins, if you want the playoffs, you have to go through Oakland because it's not happening today.

Gumbel: Losman hands it off to McGahee...he's got a huge hole! And he's taking it in. Touchdown Bills, and the lead is now 37-3.

Casserly: The Dolphins are exhausted on defense. These guys aren't used to sixteen games, let alone a fight like this. The offense usually handles business, but the defense has been on the field for 34 minutes today. There's just no excuse for that.

Gumbel: Well, they're about to be there a little longer because the Bills have decided to go for two. Losman hands it off to Anthony Thomas...he goes right through and he Bills lead 39-3 now!

Casserly: The Dolphins look like they've given up. There's no fight left. That kind of hole should never exist on a conversion attempt. Anthony Thomas could have driven a fleet of trucks through that hole.

Gumbel: Lindell lines up for the kick...it's an onside kick! The Dolphins are off guard, and the Bills recover!

(ESPN broadcast)

"That game on Christmas, man, that killed us. I've never lost like that. And I never want to again. I have a picture of the final scoreboard in my locker to remind me before every game."

Roman Harper, safety, Miami Dolphins

"The Dolphins lost 60-3, their worst loss in franchise history. They tried to put it behind them the following week against the Raiders, a team expected to get the number one overall pick, but they fell to the Raiders 34-31 and into a tie with the Jets and Chiefs for the two wild-card spots. The Dolphins had only a 6-6 conference record, however, and were eliminated."

Voice-over, 30 for 30 documentary "Miami Ice", aired August 1, 2016

(SportsCenter, April 4, 2007)

Steve Levy: We have two pieces of breaking news from the NFL. The first is that the New Orleans Saints, who hold the number one overall pick, have traded the pick to the Oakland Raiders. In exchange, the Saints will receive the second overall pick as well as the Raiders' second-round and fourth-round picks. We will have more on that story as it unfolds. The second is that Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has tested positive for marijuana. Since this is his third positive test, Williams will automatically receive a four-game suspension.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

The next installment will cover the 2007 draft and season. Also, Saints fans, it's a start.

Last edited:
So Oakland will Draft Jamarcus Russell...Saints...Draft Megatron and you will be in first line for the Peyton Manning Sweepstakes later on, or Draft AP and pray to get matthe stanford next year.....Well there was a chance but i was late...otl Sean Payton Wanted to trade for tony romo, as jerry jones was not in board with romo he wanted 06 second draft pick for romo but saint offered was third and the deal failed, here that deal would have happened or was to late?

So Oakland will Draft Jamarcus Russell...Saints...Draft Megatron and you will be in first line for the Peyton Manning Sweepstakes later on, or Draft AP and pray to get matthe stanford next year.....Well there was a chance but i was late...otl Sean Payton Wanted to trade for tony romo, as jerry jones was not in board with romo he wanted 06 second draft pick for romo but saint offered was third and the deal failed, here that deal would have happened or was to late?

That deal won't happen; it's passed. As far as the Saints go, I'm picturing a team that has everything in place except a permanent QB. Not sure who it will be on an ongoing basis, but I have a temporary solution in mind.

That deal won't happen; it's passed. As far as the Saints go, I'm picturing a team that has everything in place except a permanent QB. Not sure who it will be on an ongoing basis, but I have a temporary solution in mind.
For that i proposed megatron, he would easily help a lot of QB and if they can get a draft steal(rusell wilson, carr, or other) they will be ready, still that make me wonder what will be with them, still nice update not spoilers so it will be nice, pretty nice timeline btw, pretty original and well written

For that i proposed megatron, he would easily help a lot of QB and if they can get a draft steal(rusell wilson, carr, or other) they will be ready, still that make me wonder what will be with them, still nice update not spoilers so it will be nice, pretty nice timeline btw, pretty original and well written

Thanks; I'm having a lot of fun writing it. I don't want to spoil too much, but it's no secret Al Davis is Jonesing for JaMarcus Russell. I didn't want to go full Ricky Williams trade for the Saints but it's definitely building blocks for their big improvement.

The next installment will cover the 2007 draft and season. Also, Saints fans, it's a start.

I hate to say it, but if your scenario played out this way, there might not even be a New Orleans Saints within a year or two of this happening. The miracle 2006 season jumpstarting the heartbeat of the franchise perceived to be moribund went a long way to ensuring that popular opinion would make moving the Saints be a taboo move and ensuring that the State of Louisiana would play ball towards finding a permanent solution for them. Also, Paul Tagliabue did yeoman work keeping Tom Benson (or really more like his heirs, if some inside reports are to be believed) from doing anything funny with the team while the city was down, but by 07 Goodell is already ensconced as commissioner and with his feelings towards Nola and his desire to shoehorn a team into Los Angeles, if the fans don't show out for the team the way they did IOTL, he may have been emboldened to intervene "for the long term health of the franchise and the league" or somesuch bollocks.

I hate to say it, but if your scenario played out this way, there might not even be a New Orleans Saints within a year or two of this happening. The miracle 2006 season jumpstarting the heartbeat of the franchise perceived to be moribund went a long way to ensuring that popular opinion would make moving the Saints be a taboo move and ensuring that the State of Louisiana would play ball towards finding a permanent solution for them. Also, Paul Tagliabue did yeoman work keeping Tom Benson (or really more like his heirs, if some inside reports are to be believed) from doing anything funny with the team while the city was down, but by 07 Goodell is already ensconced as commissioner and with his feelings towards Nola and his desire to shoehorn a team into Los Angeles, if the fans don't show out for the team the way they did IOTL, he may have been emboldened to intervene "for the long term health of the franchise and the league" or somesuch bollocks.

I honestly hope the Saints can find a way to stay in New Orleans in this TL.

Took the words out of my mouth. Non-locals have a hard time understanding just what an impact that team had on the city and on the fan base. The franchise post-2006 has a different feel to it OTL. With another 3-13 or 2-14 season like 2005, I could see Benson looking for an exit to San Antonio or possibly Los Angeles (if Goodell drops the local ownership requirement).

Took the words out of my mouth. Non-locals have a hard time understanding just what an impact that team had on the city and on the fan base. The franchise post-2006 has a different feel to it OTL. With another 3-13 or 2-14 season like 2005, I could see Benson looking for an exit to San Antonio or possibly Los Angeles (if Goodell drops the local ownership requirement).

I will be keeping the Saints in New Orleans. That much is certain. I'm not sure what I will do to keep them there but they're staying.

Anything that keeps Brady from the Super Bowl is fine by me. With Brees not on the Saints, We likely get a get a Colts vs Vikings Super Bowl - Manning versus Farve. My money is on Manning.

That said, here's hoping Denver still does well.

Me, too. Also, with Brandon Marshall in Miami, Darrent Williams doesn't end up dead. And, if Cutler still goes do Denver, and if Shanahan pulls Plummer for Jay, he may have been fired after the SF loss in Week 17 of the 06 season since Williams doesn't die in this world. Then, the Broncos would turn to Ken Whisenhunt.