Conquistador Expanded

In the spirit of my other thread, I've decided to write some brief stuff in order to flesh out New Virginia of S.M. Stirling's Conquistador. Hope there's interest!

The Twenty-Three: An informal designation naming the 23 most influential families of immigrants outside of the Thirty Families and their collaterals. The Twenty-Three is only named by number, so as to not take on to pretensions of being equal to the Central Committee of the Gate Control Commission families. Among them include the more wealthy or powerful of immigrant clans that played second fiddle to the families that were inducted to the Committee, the leading families from the lesser-known immigrant waves, or families who for some reason or another (probably because of blood politics) were unable to rise to the highest of statuses. These 23 are not allied, per se, nor do they form any formal organization despite perpetual rumors that they will. They are recognized for their prominence, however.

Tabatabai
Holdings: San Ramon Valley
Motto: "Be a lion at home and a fox abroad."
Sigil: The Derafsh-e-Kaviani surrounded by a cluster of wheat
History: This family is notable for being the only in all of New Virginia to be Muslim, albeit very nominally. Javeed Reza Tabatabai, the canny patriarch, fled Iran with his family in 1978 ahead of the coming revolution. The former enterpreneur brought with him the clothes on his back, several SAVAK toughs who happened to be distantly related, three cargo carriers, and as much of the in-country assets from his Saghar National Bank as he could siphon. Though his destination was originally to be France, or perhaps the United States, he was contacted by Sol Pearlmutter through his Persian Jew cousin, Ebrahim Sohuli. The Sohulis would later emigrate to New Virginia as associates- the 23 analogue to collaterals- of the Tabatabai family.

Though the Persian family was vaguely mistrusted for their religion, Javeed's main faith is Mammon, and his second was in the White Revolution. Realizing that his beloved Pahlavi Iran was gone, he decided to disappear himself and his family rather than live in a world where Tehran would be lorded over by clerics. Not wanting to be merely a big fish in the little pool of exile politics, he accepted Pearlmutter's offer of resettlement in NV and ability to continue to influence events on Firstside through indirect means (of course, like all non-Committee members, the Tabatabai are forbidden from ever returning), in exchange for his considerable resources as a once co-owner of one of Iran's shipping companies, as well as head of a private bank. A false assassination blew up one of the company jets- Javeed was too paranoid about revolutionary reprisal for his SAVAK ties to continue living openly in Firstside, anyways- and his family settled snugly within the Pearlmutter domains.

The Tabatabai do not leave their holdings very often, being clients of the Pearlmutter and seen with some degree of suspicion by some parties in New Virginia. However, their extravagant lifestyles, family history, and loads of money are enough to convince others of their impiety towards Allah. They have much involvement in New Brooklyn, financing much of the nascent naval trade and development. In general the Tabatabai are known for a love of luxury sportscars and for insisting they are "the Aryan of Aryans" of New Virginia, a boast that amuses most rather than irritates (other than for the von Traupitz).

ooc: if enough people actually read and comment on this I'll write down a few of my other ideas. Please read and comment. Please.

My favorite alternate histories have involved literal worldbuilding, as took place in Conquistador, and I hope you'll keep up your work. I'll be reading, even if I don't post.

Same here, after you put up the 23 families, perhaps a bit of worldbuilding involving a look into colonies or "secret colonies" these families might have?

Actually, I'm looking to see if anyone has any criticisms of my ideas, and all are free to submit their own concepts and write-ups as well.

I love the idea of Iranians fleeing the Islamic Revolution and settling in Iran. Come to think of it, they would have been a great source of immigration; why wasn't one of the Thirty Families from Pahlavi Iran? I don't buy that religion would be a factor, because the nominal Shi'aism of that group of Iranians wouldn't be that much more offensive to the Rolfes' nominal Episcopal sensibilities as the Jews or Orthodox Christians who also get in the Thirty Families.

You've got some good ideas here. Keep it up.

Ibáñez
Holdings: San Benito
Motto: "Obedezco, pero no cumplo."
Sigil: the imperial eagle with the crown and coat of arms in front of it, clutching the Burgundy Cross in its talons
History: A family well-known for its romantic pretensions and at the head of one of the minor immigrant waves, making it a lost contender for Commission status. While the former colonial Spanish empire did not have much left to lose in the twentieth century, the dual deaths of Franco and Falange-founder José Antonio Primo de Rivera on November 20, 1979 sparked a great change in Spain. From that day onwards (known to many of their supporters as 20-N) to February 23, 1981, former fascists, Falangists, Carlists, and all-around nationalists, found themselves quite without friends. Indeed, even prior to the deaths of their icons, the nation had been slowly moderating and modernizing itself. The reactionaries' last gasp came when the búnker failed spectacularly on 23-F with El Tejerazo, the final discrediting of the hardliners and affirming that Spain had indeed changed.

For Don Marco Ibáñez de Toledo, it was the shattering of a generations-long dream. Simultaneously claiming auspicious lineage from both El Cid and Francisco Pizarro (though, interestingly, the only eminent ancestor in the Ibáñez family tree may be Cervantes), the Ibáñezes had spent centuries firmly serving God, nation, and king. They were Carlists during the Spanish Civil War; afterwards, they were fervent francoists. However, Franco's death, the inevitable spread of democracy, and the ultimate betrayal- King Juan Carlos' repudiation of their brothers-in-arms- shook the don to his very core. Realizing that there was nothing left for them in their country, they departed. Of course, this was after agents of John Rolfe had approached the family with the ultimate offer- recreate their past glories, in the patrimony of old Spain's former colonial lands...

Along with his family and retainers, Marco Ibáñez brought with him about 200-300 'refugees' from formerly-Nationalist Spain. They were in part welcomed by Portuguese exiles from Angola, Mozambique, Guinea-Bissau, East Timor, and the country itself; Rolfe and Colletta had previously contacted quite a few Estado Novo die-hards unhappy with the Carnation Revolution in addition to the displaced retornados from Africa and the East Indies. The new exiles from the '80s and the more established exiles from the '70s quickly got on quite well with each other, in no small part thanks to the collaboration between Don Ibáñez and his Portuguese counterpart, Augusto Gustavo do Nascimento. Together, the Luso-Hispano citizens of New Virginia were able to eke out a comfortable niche as one of the smaller immigrant communities. Like their ancestors, the Ibáñez became farmers and ranchers. As many of the males were veterans of anti-insurgent campaigns, they became renowned for their battle prowess even among the hardened former-vets who composed NV's military and security forces. In fact, the Ibáñezes combined their ancestral love of horseplay and led many a raid against the savage tribes who preyed on the frontier.

Yet, this was not enough to satisfy the Don's taste of the romantic. And so, under approval by the Committee, the Ibáñez family established a mission run by their own Palmarian priests they had brought with them through the Gate. Rather than simply exterminating all of the natives in their area, they instead sought to assimilate them into "Catholic" society. Of course, this civilization mission was strictly bound- an Ibáñez woman who is found to willingly engage in sexual activities with the natives would soon find herself excommunicated from both church and clan, and then executed along with her would-be lover. Misión Santiago de Los Mutsunes was a mixed success, and while most similar copycat institutions from other families have been abandoned, the Ibáñez project is still going strong.

No pity reads? No comments on how realistic it is? No one to submit their own material?

Okay, this is going onto the list of projects I abandon.

Keep it going!!!

No pity reads? No comments on how realistic it is? No one to submit their own material?

Okay, this is going onto the list of projects I abandon.

NOOO! I, for one, was enjoying this expansion...I'd even be glad to see a continuation of the story in some way. What happens after the rather abrupt end to the story? That kind of thing.

Anyone have a map of New Virginia?

Maybe some info on some of the "Greek" cultures in Europe and the Tocharians in Asia?

Some ideas for other groups in New Virginia: Hungarians after the Revolution of 1956 is crushed (those that escape), ditto the Czechs after Prague Spring is forcibly ended; Cubans after the Cuban Revolution; Greeks after the military junta falls in 1974; East Germans after the fall of the Berlin Wall and before (via the open Hungarian border); Bosnians during the genocide; non-Russian ex-Soviets in the 1990s and 2000s (Baltic, Caucasian, and Ukrainian/Belorussian); lots more Eastern Europeans in the 2000s (especially Romanians, Bulgarians, Serbo-Croatians, any European country with a poor economy), Assyrians other Middle Eastern Christians during TTLs War on Terror; Russian minorities in the Baltic states/Central Asia in the 2000s.

Last edited:
Absolutely excellent suggestions! Though some are impractical in that it would seem that each immigration wave requires a few powerful or rich families being the main sponsors, like Lord Chumley for the Kenyans in the book. Don't know if the Iraqi Assyrians have any wealthy exile groups right now. Also, I just realized: we're both missing the Armenians!

Absolutely excellent suggestions! Though some are impractical in that it would seem that each immigration wave requires a few powerful or rich families being the main sponsors, like Lord Chumley for the Kenyans in the book. Don't know if the Iraqi Assyrians have any wealthy exile groups right now. Also, I just realized: we're both missing the Armenians!
Assyrians and to a lesser extent Bosnians probably aren't gonna be on the short-list for New Virginia, for racial reasons in the first case an religious in the second. And they don't necessarily need a sponsor family: consider the Dutch and Baltic immigrants in the 1940s, they seemed to lack a family. There was a comment that adding the Russian family helped make the Russian settlers feel more at home in New Virginia, which seems to suggest that there were settlers from that group before there was a family.

And they don't necessarily need a sponsor family: consider the Dutch and Baltic immigrants in the 1940s, they seemed to lack a family. There was a comment that adding the Russian family helped make the Russian settlers feel more at home in New Virginia, which seems to suggest that there were settlers from that group before there was a family.

I'm kinda thinking that given the neo-feudal nature of NV, perhaps it is inevitable for top-dog families to appear in any of the diaspora communities.

I don't actually have ideas for 23 minor families. Anybody can feel free to contribute their own concepts!

interesting stuff

if the idea were to be expanded beyond "us white folks" in the later years,

I'd nominate:

Cambodians fleeing from the Khmer Rouge. A lot of them spent time in refugee camps along the border before making their way to the United States or other destinations; in TTL, a Cambodian figure of some influence could claim to speak for them and just rustle a bunch of them into transport craft and with false assurances away they go. ("Of course we'll look up your cousins in Philadelphia! Now, c'mon, finish packing...") A lot of Cambodians running for their lives included persons who were selected for destruction for being literate/educated. (Folks with glasses were wise to ditch them to avoid suspicion, for example.)

After the Vietnam War, I reckon there would be a bigger source of refugees from the former South Vietnam, with folks escaping from the conquering North Vietnamese for reasons including safety and/or preservation of assets, status, etc. The Vietnamese exodus would I presume include a contingent of military or quasi-military personnel in addition to anti-communist groups and affiliates, various contrary intellectuals/educators, et al.

I think a huge potential source of immigration that was overlooked could be the Irish (both Protestant and Catholic) during the Troubles. It took place over an extended period of time (like decolonization) which means that it wouldn't look as strange if people left over a longer timeframe. I could see a huge number of Irishmen who either fear for their family's welfare or who simply are frustrated with the entire ordeal to be eager for a fresh life not only in a different nation, but a different world far away from the struggle. It also takes place (1968 on) during a time when the Commonwealth was expanding greatly, and could use the manpower.

Honestly, I could see one of the Thirty Families being fully Irish (and not simply Irish-American, like the O'Briens) just because of the huge potential for immigrants from Ireland.