Confusing Maps Thread

I don't know if this idea is already taken. If so please link me to it and delete this tread. Most maps we look at are clearly understood. Some might need further context to understand. Then there are some maps that are just confusing. Why was this made? What is the context? This is the thread for that.

TfLsLVW1714BpnpEHkP55y9ZvdO21DlDIWqKdre9PHmFcn6JPnt1d38neDM_GSOrCYP3QpUgvyZ1NkJE573F7Y607I7G__onsAwr4LkVZ0Nb5MyB_LGEqWqMtXFhovSLHTg5B_OU

This is one of those maps. I found this while searching up maps of Siberia late at night for a project. It's supposed to be one of those "what if x country balkanized" maps, but this one is very confusing. We got a rump Russia in the east, with Siberia being split between India, Armenia, America, China, Japan, and Canada? The blank sections I assume to be countries that gain independence in this very strange scenario. Is this a shitpost? Is it serious? What is going on here?

Attachments

• siberia-map-future.jpg
    siberia-map-future.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 149
In December 2010, Russian nationalist and millionaire sheep-breeder German Sterligov wrote an open letter to Vladimir Putin and Dmitry Medvedev, proposing the sale of Siberia to a bunch of other countries because of (if I'm reading this right) his insane elitist belief that Siberians are a bunch of degenerate hicks and that spreading the Russian people out over so much territory is leading to their destruction as a nation. Here's the letter (which is as unhinged and vaguely racist as you might expect), and here's the article on that letter in which this map first appears (both in Russian). So yeah, this isn't meant to be alternate history, it's just a bizarre, frivolous proposal.

Last edited:

Crazy Boris

Banned
Well, that explains it, sort of.

The most baffling thing to me is which countries get what parts.

China and Japan are right next to those bits, so I guess if you’re going to carve up Siberia among neighboring countries, that’s a logical way to go about it (though Chinese Sakha is weird), but then the rest? It’s just confusing. Like, Armenian Altay? Indian Yugra? My brain has a hard time even putting those words next to each other how would these countries even govern areas so large and far away separated by five or six other countries? And then there’s the obvious problem of why would any of these countries want to buy chunks of Siberia?

Methinks Mr. Sterligov downed a few dozen bottles of his sheep’s medicine before banging out this proposal. His doctor tells him not to, but he still drinks it.