Confederate Military 1861-2004

What equipment and uniforms of Army, Navy, later Air Corp, Coast Police, Special Forces, and Marines will develop in through time in the Confederate Armed Forces? What wars will there be fought and who will bw there allies?

Grey Wolf

Donor
ConfederateFly said:
What equipment and uniforms of Army, Navy, later Air Corp, Coast Police, Special Forces, and Marines will develop in through time in the Confederate Armed Forces? What wars will there be fought and who will bw there allies?

I never really understood why Turtledove had them change the colour of their uniforms. Coinsidering that in 1914 the French were still dressed in blue and red, I think the Confederate grey would continue until at least that kind of timeframe

Grey Wolf

What equipment and uniforms of Army, Navy, later Air Corp, Coast Police, Special Forces, and Marines will develop in through time in the Confederate Armed Forces?

Xen

Banned
Grey Wolf said:
I never really understood why Turtledove had them change the colour of their uniforms. Coinsidering that in 1914 the French were still dressed in blue and red, I think the Confederate grey would continue until at least that kind of timeframe

Grey Wolf

He kept saying something about the Green-gray uniforms of the Union were too similiar, I saw the uniforms of the American wars displayed at the Smithsonian, the Confederate Gray was close to the US uniform of WWI, you'd have to be colorblind to miss the color difference. I agree, those times I write about a suriving CSA they are still wearing grey uniforms at WWI timeframe and WWII timeframe. The Nazi's wore a dark gray/black like uniform, the Confederates can too. Anything after that doesn't really fit in those traditional colors, they'd probably develop their own BDU camoflauge pattern if they survive that long.

Sevices

More likey given the Traditional mind set , Gray RealTreeBark [tm]

Given a British connection - No seperate Coast Guard, rather a lifeBoat service;

The CSA had a marine Corp ie a Army that is part of the Navy Dept.

I can see given the decentralized mindset the Army [Very Small -coordinater of State Militias] Dept. developing its own Navy corp for landings and transport.

When Aerocraft come around both services have Aero Corps, that function, like OTLs Navy- Marine.

CSN- Navy-Marines- Areo Corp
CSA-Army- Transport Corp- Aero Corp
CSR- Field Rangers- National Investagation Dept
CS-LBS

Following the victory of the Prussians in the 1878 European war, the CS like the Japanese adopted Prussian style Uniforms [ Those neato-looking high collar thingies]

Grey Wolf

Donor
What are the Rangers ? I thought they were an elite army unit.

Given a CSA victory you would of course already have the Texas Rangers as a model for something or other - what are they, kind of a state army ?

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
What are the Rangers ? I thought they were an elite army unit.

Given a CSA victory you would of course already have the Texas Rangers as a model for something or other - what are they, kind of a state army ?

Grey Wolf

The original rangers were any highly mobile military unit which was not stationed in one locality and whose job it was to wander, or "range" over an area threatened by hostile forces (such as Indians) and protect the area. In the very early era this would have been a light infantry force (such as Rogers' Rangers in the FIW), but later would have been a cavalry or dragoon force (such as the original Texas Rangers...before they were transformed into a law enforcement unit).

Later, of course (WWII and later), the term Ranger came to designate an elite, highly trained force within the regular military which was assigned to special assignments, including commando operations. That, of course, became our Rangers of today.

CSN- Navy-Marines- Areo Corp
CSA-Army- Transport Corp- Aero Corp
CSR- Field Rangers- National Investagation Dept
CS-LBS
BY DUQUENSE

What equipment and uniforms would these develop from 1861-2004?

Rangers

In the 1700's~ 1800's Lots of States had Ranger units that functioned as Frontier Police, IIRC only Texas and Arizonia Still have them. The CSR would be a National Police Like the RCMP with a FBI like component, Used Mostly to Co Ordinate the Various State Rangers, and Handle Interstate, criminals.

Rangers

In the 1700's~ 1800's Lots of States had Ranger units that functioned as Frontier Police, IIRC only Texas and Arizonia Still have them. The CSR would be a National Police Like the RCMP with a FBI like component, Used Mostly to Co Ordinate the Various State Rangers, and Handle Interstate, criminals.

What about equipment and uniforms from 1861-2004 for these:

C.S. ARMY
Army
C.S. Rangers
C.S. Mountain Legions
Army Expeditionary Forces

C.S. NAVY
Navy
Naval Expeditionary Forces
Naval Aviation Corp
C.S. Navy Seals

C.S. MARINE CORP
Marines
Marine Expeditionary Forces

C.S. AIR FORCE
Air Force
Paratroopers

C.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND DEFENSE
Confederate National Police Corp
C.S. Coast Police

OTHER AGENCIES
Confederate Intelligance Agency

That organization of armed forces certainly doesn't reflect the decentralized Confederate States as we know them in the 1860s.

The standing army may just be a very small professional force, restricted both by finances and decision of the various states. The concept of CS Rangers seems sound, but Mountain Legions? Where to they train? The Ozarks?

Expeditionary Forces, usually, are only raised during a crisis and not always a standing force. They are called into existence. Aren't paratroopers usually Army units?

A post September 11th 2002 Confederate States of America would probably NOT see the establishment of a Department of Homeland Defense. Again too much power is being seen drifting towards the Central Government. Security measures may vary from state to state.

Grey Wolf

Donor
David S Poepoe said:
A post September 11th 2002 Confederate States of America would probably NOT see the establishment of a Department of Homeland Defense. Again too much power is being seen drifting towards the Central Government. Security measures may vary from state to state.

2001, surely ? Though given the existence of the CSA I hardly think there would be that level of convergence

Grey Wolf

Your absolutely true about that, however Confederatefly's regular posting of this topic always follows along the same route. In fact, I'm pretty sure there are at least five similar threads posted throughout the old and new boards. Same question, etc.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I agree with David that you have not got a CONFEDERATE force here, but merely a mirror of the Union which is unlikely to develop in a more states-centric Confederacy

I certainly cannot see the states voting for the establishment of an FBI-like organisation, it cuts to the heart of the argument between the states and the federal authority. I would think instead you would have an enlarged role for the CSA equivalent of the US Marshals service

As stated before in these discussions the Confederate Constitution prevents the states from having their own armed forces, other than militia. This more or less means that the navy will be the best equipped in peace time as it would get more funding more easily - the states would vote to protect Confederate trade, protect the coast etc.

The army would be more difficult - apart from garrison units along the borders with the Union and with Mexico, any increase in the army is going to be viewed as a potential threat to the states.

These Ranger-style forces sound logical as a nucleus for a wartime expansion of the cavalry. The militia would probably serve as the nucleus for that of the infantry

As for the airforce, I don't see any great logic in there being any large peacetime force - I mean, what is it for ? There would probably be militia-based state units (think Air National Guard), and only a small nucleus of centralised aircraft. It may make more logical sense for airships to have developed in greater numbers than aircraft

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
David S Poepoe said:
Your absolutely true about that, however Confederatefly's regular posting of this topic always follows along the same route. In fact, I'm pretty sure there are at least five similar threads posted throughout the old and new boards. Same question, etc.

True - I hope he is actually using it for something ! And also hope he does follow any links elsewhere, such as to :-

http://pub158.ezboard.com/ftheworldatwar70879frm5

Which is ACW focused and provides some good basic background. I pointed him there on the Confederate political parties thread as it had already been discussed there, so thought it could provide a good degree of information

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
As for the airforce, I don't see any great logic in there being any large peacetime force - I mean, what is it for ?
It could be used, just like RAF between the wars, to control large territories - say unhospital deserts.
If there were indian, mexican and anti-slavery US raiders and what not, air patrolling and reprisal bombings etc etc would make sense, yes? The British found out it was relatively easy and cheap to dominate indigenous populations via the presence of air power!

Oh, and considering the ACW's impact on the CSA, I would think that the armed forces, army and all, would be placed under Confederate control and be large as could be ala the Bundeswehr (you know, with a big bad neighbour who really doesn't like you at all :) ).

Regards!

- Mr.Bluenote.